The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I'm worried about it to...since he is kind of famous (I didn't know him, but then I made some researches) I'm worried that the part of the random guy who appears for 10 seconds and never again is too little for him. Nobody has said anything to the press up to now, but maybe they will wait to make a press release  when the airing date of the episode is coming, or will announce it after the episode airs...Not that I think he can stay in the cast forever and being Amy's actual new boyfriend or something, but it annoys me that we have to see the cliché plot of boys fighting after girl...I don't like it at all! 

As for the ring, I would hate so much if Amy discovers it from a documentary or from Penny and just this gives her second thoughts about her relationship. It was bad enough that Sheldon didn't find a better way to fix things than proposing out of the blue, but if the ring is what will bring them together again....just no!!! They have to clean everything up before going into marriage (eventually...at this point is sounds so far away...), a proposal is not a solution!

Sheldon...He was selfish and for sure to want to stop being sad is not a good reason to get married, so in a way, better that he didn't had the chance of doing it. Anyway, the character I know would never accept Amy kissing another person, and to think that he has to fight for her is, as far as I understand the character, OOC. Watching Amy kissing (even though quickly) another man goes against whatever he believes in and his own fears (germophobia, do you remember that that was one of his problems against sex?) The only positive thing I can come up with is that that could be the plan of the writers...to show that he has changed, grown and ready to start a new life with Amy showing that he has overcome also his biggest fears....Anyway, I still don't  like that at all!

Finally, Amy...what are they doing? She is not her at all, they are destroying a beloved character, not making her date another man, but just not making her decision clear to the audience and not showing her point of view. We are thinking she went on that date because she misunderstood Sheldon's comment last episode, but is that true? We don't know anything at all...and that's frustrating...my feeling towards her right now are not very "kind", she used to be one of my favourite character, but right now I don't understand her at all, so I don't like her. And again, it's not her dating another person (even if as I have told before this for me is a deal breaker), it's not knowing what she thinks.

Yes to all. You are my new favorite person. This exactly - every single word, but especially the part about not wanting Amy to go back to Sheldon because she finds out about the ring. She made a choice here, and to reverse it and sweep that under the rug because she finds out about the ring and suddenly she's getting everything she wants would just be wrong.

A few things: based on this episode, I actually can't imagine that they won't be together again or in some different place in another two episodes. They haven't had one episode that doesn't deal with or mention the break up in some way, and Sheldon has been burning through all of the emotions about it. He also keeps trying to say he'll be fine or he's over it, but he's clearly not. When he tries going back to a time before Leonard, but that doesn't work - it doesn't fit him anymore. He tries to say he's Vulcan and logical and doesn't feel anything - but in the end admits that was a farce. He's devastated, and he has no where to turn and no where to go except acceptance, and I think that if they go down that route, then what will they do? Write Sheldon having to go about his life and routine, and getting over it? I feel like it's been a rather quick arc, full of a lot of drama, but barreling full steam ahead - it's hard not to see Sheldon reach the point of devastation and admit that he is a human being with feelings, which is the whole crux of his character trying to shut out that part and Amy and his friends slowly unraveling that and making him tap into those feelings until the ILY last season, and not say...okay, this is the climax, the rock bottom, we have to start climbing back up from here. I said originally that I thought they would be back together in November sweeps, and now I think it's probably true.

My gut says that the way the scene with the kiss and Amy suggests that this is a classic sitcom red herring, and that this guy is not someone Amy went on a date with at all, but a cousin. (It would be hilarious if he was the cousin who blew money on drugs rather than take Amy to prom who has come to make amends as part of his 12 step program, but I doubt the show even remembers that line anymore.) I also think it's a big deal that Sheldon left her that email asking her to watch the documentary when it comes out, because it gives him motivation to go back to Wil and beg him to delete the footage. And perhaps this will lead to the footage leaking in some way, and yet, if Amy did find out about the ring and went back to him because of it - oh, you were going to propose? Everything is fine now then, I take you back, now please get down on one knee - that would be awful. It would suggest she's only going back because she thinks she's going to get everything she ever wanted out of him, not because she truly loves him as he is or how she thinks he is, but only for the marriage pay off.

And still, I hate not seeing more of Amy's side in all of this, and moreover, I hate that there's nothing remotely interesting about Amy at this point. She's like any other girl, sulking and confused and not talking about her feelings, not up and outspoken and tough and sassy and smart Amy. I hate it - and I just hate this whole trope of the idea there must be this much melodrama and angst and a break up for any couple to go through before they get back together. Not every couple needs to use that cliche or apply that from their playbook, and everything that I loved about Shamy was it's uniqueness and playfulness and honesty - not this.

Personally, it would have been so Shamy, and so unique, if Sheldon sent Amy the FWF video and when she came over to yell at him and tell him to take it down she had marched in, grabbed two flags, and "yelled" at him in semaphore. (The art of talking with flags across great distances.) That would have been so, so funny - her angry face as she whipped flags around at him, and him watching until the end, when he just gasps out loud and says, "HOW DARE YOU" and perhaps grabs flags of his own to answer her back. I swear if the Shamy break up had gone down entirely in semaphore, I probably could have enjoyed it, and laughed endlessly.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 9

I wanted shamy to reconcile on their own, and it's quite likely that now she's going to push for a reconciliation, either by telling Sheldon to forget about the guy and go for it, or by telling Amy for the ring.

Worst case scenario is that Amy watched the video and decides to get back to Sheldon because of that..

absolutely! I don't want Penny having an imput in this reconciliation. It'll be so typical if Penny stormed to Amy's in ep 6 and just blurt out about Sheldon's intent to purpose. I don't want that.

I don't know about Amy getting back with Sheldon cause she sees the video and feels she and too, I think it'll be the answer to all her questions if I'm being honest. She wants to feel wanted I think and that video would do it.

What she's not seeing is that Sheldon only  goes all out when he REALLY wants something. And he REALLY wants Amy, I don't know how much he time has past from the premier to 9.06 but I'd have given up now if my ex had moved on/trying to move on. 

Amy on the other hand will somehow get a dose of humble pie once she views/hears about that video.  The fact Sheldon's meltdown was recorded by Wil and they made a firm point in letting you know this makes me think somehow she'll view it.  Will this delay an engagement sure because now I'm confident Sheldon would be gun shy BUT I don't think it will delay the reconcilation past E9.  I'm ok if she views the video.  It will smack her across the face.  I do think within the next few episodes a heated discussion is coming.  No longer calm & collective but heated.  And she coming to him.  In the heated format everything will come pouring out.   

By no means is it ideal BUT I do see where this could possibly go and I'm ok with it and will continue the journey.  

It feels to me like she's given up on the idea of ever being Sheldon's priotity and she wants to go be that first with someone else. I thought that break down was genius, Sheldon completely broke down cause of Amy but it was covered by something else he was equally passionate about. She needs to see that video now. Like right now. It'll give her the push to go talk to him. I'm ok too with a purposal being delayed, right now it's the least of my worries. I just want them to talk. And for the love of god can we see some remorse from Amy! The fact we don't know where she stands on all this will make her even more hated by viewers. This isn't her. Honestly I'm done if she's sleeps with someone other than Sheldon.  

I'm worried about it to...since he is kind of famous (I didn't know him, but then I made some researches) I'm worried that the part of the random guy who appears for 10 seconds and never again is too little for him. Nobody has said anything to the press up to now, but maybe they will wait to make a press release  when the airing date of the episode is coming, or will announce it after the episode airs...Not that I think he can stay in the cast forever and being Amy's actual new boyfriend or something, but it annoys me that we have to see the cliché plot of boys fighting after girl...I don't like it at all! 

exactly! Usually in shows when you see a snippet of someone it's just the beginning. This makes me worried. He's definitely coming back this season. Whether its next week or in a few weeks. I did some digging and it's being kept extremely under wraps his involvement but he's always said how much he loves the show. Because of the nature of the roles he's played he won't keep Amy, I'm not worried about it. If it was any other actor (minus any other well known actor in Merchants casting) then I would be extremely worried. I'm worried but not extremely, yet. 

Just throwing it out there (Merchant, The Office kinda wave length) and trying to make light of this situation but it would have been hysterical if Rainn Wilson was Amy's date  and we had a Dwight Sheldon fight off :rofl: I'm crying! 

• Like 2

There seems to be some doubt over who initiated the kiss, one said it was the date and another said it was Amy, but I don't think it really matters who initiated it, the fact remains Sheldon saw her kissing another man.  Is he really going to want anything to do with her after seeing that, I don't think so.  And Amy seems to have given up completely on Sheldon.  I can see this getting a lot worse before there's even a sign of it getting better, if it does at all.

Edited by A Shamy gal
  • Like 3

To those who think " Amy's date " is going to come back because he's incarnated by someone famous, I'd just say that there were a lot of famous people coming in the show just for one episode.

The actress acting Mandy was also famous, and yet the Mandy story looks dead and buried now, in season 8 there was that guy ( whom I really don't know, but I'm not American ) who acted that crazy doctor who fell in love with any women who touched him, and so on.

So since there was no publicity around that actor, I don't think he's in for several episodes.

• Like 1

To those who think " Amy's date " is going to come back because he's incarnated by someone famous, I'd just say that there were a lot of famous people coming in the show just for one episode.

The actress acting Mandy was also famous, and yet the Mandy story looks dead and buried now, in season 8 there was that guy ( whom I really don't know, but I'm not American ) who acted that crazy doctor who fell in love with any women who touched him, and so on.

So since there was no publicity around that actor, I don't think he's in for several episodes.

If they just needed someone for ten seconds, of which he doesn't say anything, they could have grabbed any fairly good looking guy off the street.  Would have been cheaper too.

Edited by A Shamy gal
  • Like 2

Actually, another person on Twitter said that the man only pecks her on the cheek, and not on the lips. I think that Sheldon just saw her with another man, but yes, the man did kiss her quickly either on the cheek or lips but....I think this is a red herring and an obvious "no, you misunderstood" plot. I don't think Amy went on a date, and I don't think the guy is a date, I think it's going to turn out to be the family member they were talking about introducing this season. We'll see, but I don't think it was at all a romantic kiss, nor even an actual date. Unless they are going to say that after Amy found out that Sheldon asked out other girls she tried to ask out another boy, but hated it and regretted it.

lol so many different accounts on the kiss - of all the options I hope it's this. but still: whatisthetruth.gif 

I also think this may be either a misunderstanding or the reveal that the date was awful or whatever.

If they just needed someone for ten seconds, of which he doesn't say anything, they could have grabbed any fairly good looking guy off the street.

Maybe he's friends with someone? I mean, they brought in Jim's former room mate for a scene that couldn't have been amounted to much more.

• Like 2

But they all had  lines, a kind of plot around them, there was a "reason" they were on the show. This guy just appears for literally 10 seconds, it seems to me a "waste" to hire someone who is known for other projects for a part like that. For this I'm wondering if he will come back soon. Anyway, I'll be very happy if he's not (not for the guy himself, nothing against him...)

• Like 3

yeah but they were episodes with dialogue and story. Some guy kisses our Amy and it just so happened to be Stephan Merchant. There is no way that man would get the part of 'Random guy who kisses Amy'. He's someone, and this isn't the last of him. The more I think about it, and if it's a kiss on the cheek, he's family. I rule out friend cause we know who her friends are, unless it's someone she works with but we're suppose to be seeing Amy's family history so. The writers are clever I don't think they'd be that obvious to do this to Shamy. They've left it open for that character to be anyone and we've all jumped, including Sheldon, to the conclusion that it's a date cause that's what the writers want. A rise. And we're giving it to them. 

First, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, heres2U has written a TR here: http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/topic/5988-spoilers-discussion-topic-season-9/?do=findComment&comment=409305 Reading this may clear some things up for some.

thanks April :) 

I keep reading from various other TR that Jim seemed off again this week. Maybe this storylines getting to him too. Makes me sad. The captain wants his ship back :cry: 

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 1

Actually, another person on Twitter said that the man only pecks her on the cheek, and not on the lips. I think that Sheldon just saw her with another man, but yes, the man did kiss her quickly either on the cheek or lips but....I think this is a red herring and an obvious "no, you misunderstood" plot. I don't think Amy went on a date, and I don't think the guy is a date, I think it's going to turn out to be the family member they were talking about introducing this season. We'll see, but I don't think it was at all a romantic kiss, nor even an actual date. Unless they are going to say that after Amy found out that Sheldon asked out other girls she tried to ask out another boy, but hated it and regretted it.

Bang on. It's to late in the shows run for Amy to start a new relationship. Not to mention Sheldon.

• Like 3

Wait a sec, a kiss on the cheek?

Heck this could be a cousin or something! LOL That would actually be kind of funny...

Could be anyone.  We got a week to debate, angst and hope about it.

• Like 2

Let's pray to be someone from work or family and the kiss on the cheek  ehehehehe  interesting perhaps she is following Sheldon on dating other people in order to move on......what is missing for me 1) Leonard and Penny encouraging Sheldon to get Amys back...giving some tips on how to fix broken relationship (this is what friends do rite).  2)Sheldon actually talking to Amy..trying understand why she ask for the break and broke up... we saw he chasing her and doing a lot of hurting but not a real conversation

3) Amy side....love her and hurt me she is not having enough screen scenes to explain or just give the audience a clear idea ( wonder if is that she is not a lead on the show ....which they should change that IMO)

Anyway..love the discussion and  everybody point of view..can wait to get back from work and read all over again

• Like 6

Oh!

The girl who goes dating another guy while still heartbroken is cliché.

The man whoes to see his ex girlfriend for a crucial moment and is seeing her with another man is another cliché.

But the man who goes to see his ex girlfriend for a crucial moment and is seeing her with another man but he's not a date he's just family / ( gay or married ) colleague is just beyond cliché.

I know some of you don't like it when we say it's bad-writing, but really, I exepected something better and more original for my ship.

• Like 8

Just following on from my earlier comments

I care a lot about the show and I have been emotionally  invested in the characters of shamy since they began dating in season 3 (final) and to see them now Is just devastating

I don't know what to think at the moment and its all very well people saying they are endgame but I don't want them to be endgame if they are just ripping each other apart and trying to score points of revenge against each other

I want to enjoy the ride and I'm not right now :(

• Like 7

God bless you

• Like 2

Just following on from my earlier comments

I care a lot about the show and I have been emotionally  invested in the characters of shamy since they began dating in season 3 (final) and to see them now Is just devastating

I don't know what to think at the moment and its all very well people saying they are endgame but I don't want them to be endgame if they are just ripping each other apart and trying to score points of revenge against each other

I want to enjoy the ride and I'm not right now :(

I know. And it seems very childish with them scoring points. They are both being incredibly childish and selfish it's beyond silly. But Sheldon has always been abit shelfish and I'm guessing Amy's sick of not putting herself first therefore needing time. But I truly believe the writers won't be that stupid and put a unique pair like these two in the arms of another man/women and take them down the same route they've done with all the relationships. I'm pretty sure Stephans character is family. He's never been one to play the love interests. It's just the typical 'you've got the wrong end of the stick' plot. The writers were stupid enough to put them in this break up bubble they can't be stupid enough to wreck an incredibly unique 5 year relationship cause Amy wants some action. I refuse to believe it :laugh: 

God I need a shot of something...

• Like 2

Ok, so, I've read through all the comments and I think there is one thing we're all forgetting. Amy is socially inexperienced! She's never had a boyfriend before, she's never broken up with someone before. While I do still believe it's cliché that she turned to another man after being heart broken, I think that's what she did it! The only examples of romance she's ever seen were in movies/tv shows, and in her friends' relationships. Now, it seems to me that she's asked herself "What will help me ease my pain?" and tried all the ways she only knows how. She turned to another man, because she thought it would make it easier for her. I hate the fact that another guy kissed her, and I bet she does too. That is, if this guy is even a date. If Stephen is going to be a recurring character (oh my god I hope so!!!) I really really think he will be family.

I keep reading from various other TR that Jim seemed off again this week. Maybe this storylines getting to him too. Makes me sad. The captain wants his ship back :cry: 

Oh, why should it be so? Can you pls give some details (i missed everything :) )

It sounds very sad.. it's not like him

Oh, why should it be so? Can you pls give some details (i missed everything :) )

It sounds very sad.. it's not like him

just one of the reports said Jim seemed very sad in between scenes. I know he's professional but he's usually laughing, chatting etc. If he's not going over lines, blocking etc. He could just have been staying in character cause thats how he works but this is the second time he's seemed abit low during a taping, we all know he doesn't like Shamy being broken up, I'm just putting two and two together.

if not fix Shamy for our sake, do it for Jim writers :laugh: 

• Like 4

Ok, just for lightening the mood... Even if the Shottish actor appears just in one episode, I think his casting was really accurate; he is not just tall...he is more than 2 m. tall (sorry guys, I'm not American, I can handle just the metric system)...Think that, using again the metric system, JP is 1,86 m. tall...

• Like 2