The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Why would a sperm donor (let alone a gay one) be kissing her?

You don't have a lot of gay male friends do you? There can be quite a lot of affectionate kissing.

So by having either of them date someone else, it destroys that "one and only" uniqueness about them.

Not quite.

Unlike Sheldon, Amy had had dates in the past (including one since she met Sheldon), albeit none of her suitors got a second date.

If, like all her previous dates, this is a one-off, then no serious damage will have been done.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 5

You don't have a lot of gay male friends do you? There can be quite a lot of affectionate kissing.

I concure I kiss my gay friends on the lips allllll the time. I like the idea that he could be gay. Did we get any confirmation as to the kind of kiss it was?

We better get one hot, sexy, passionate Shamy make out session after this. LOL.

omg yes please! I will probably pass out for sure

Edited by Amy Fowler
there isn't a kind of piss
  • Like 1

Who don't care like we do?

The readers?

The viewers?

The writers?

The regular viewers

I concure I kiss my gay friends on the lips allllll the time. I like the idea that he could be gay

It's so funny to see people trying to convince themselves that he is a gay sperm donor.

I don't think he's gay. If so, why he would walk with her til the door? Probably she don't have many gay friends, so considering that they just met and that he is gay, why the would be already kissing? It's a date, IMO.

Plus: she could have the sperm donation from him in the traditional way then :p

I know that I am overly addicted, when I can't sleep over a television show.

Anyway, I don't like the storyline, but I refuse to panic.    I don't think the writers have built up Shamy for five years with the intention of throwing it all away.  They are ripping our hearts out and going to shove them right back in a way we least expect.

I've overreacted from too many TRs to turn around and get a different take upon airing.   I'm not doing it again.

I don't like Amy kissing someone else, but Sheldon admitted to himself that Amy could find someone better and set her up by telling he was asking others out.  He knew others like Kripke had expressed interest in her.  Perhaps in dating and kissing this guy, Amy just doesn't feel it the way she does with Sheldon, and that gets her missing him.

I hope that it is all just a misunderstanding and not what it seems.

In the end, Sheldon still has the ring, admits now that he has feelings, and has yet to propose.   Maybe Amy catches wind of the ring and realizes she sold Sheldon short, which causes her to regret her actions.   What I do like is that if she does find out, the writers have ensured that she will know that he had it before their anniversary and it was not an after thought from their breakup.

I see a major discussion and airing out of issues on both sides.    They are going to be okay, but they both needed to go through this to understand where the other is coming from.   Sheldon realizing that he can lose Amy by holding back on telling her his feelings in the way she needs to hear them (without insults and innuendos), and Amy realizing that she underestimates and doesn't give him credit for Sheldon's true intentions.

As far as I'm concerned, all of this spells out a set up to an explosive reconciliation down the road, and I cannot wait.   We were talking about having children in the chat last night.   Perhaps we can think of this as the pangs felt before the birth of a beautiful child, a more balanced and symbiotic Shamy.  

you took the words right out of my mouth. Especially the bit about panicking and then feeling differently when the ep airs. That's my exact position. From a storytelling perspective (whether I like it or not) I can see what the writers are doing here. There are still 2 directions they could take it, but I choose to see the clues as leading towards a reconciliation. (A) Amy thinks Sheldon is dating. (B) Like Star, I think it's highly suspect that Penny didn't know about the date and/or try to stop Sheldon from proposing. (C) After telling Amy to watch the documentary, the ring and his confession are recorded. This all is leading to reconciliation.

Having said that, I'm still not happy about it all. :P

Edited by Musickat18
  • Like 4

I had a feeling the staircase conversation would lead to Amy dating another guy. However, I wish we knew how Amy met this guy and whether they were actually on a date or not, but that would require showing Amy's side of things, which we know the writers hate doing. Maybe we'll see her go on another date with him and afterward Amy will tell Penny that even after kissing him, she's not into him.

I do think the writers are setting up for a huge proposal. I know some people are afraid this reconciliation is going to be dragged out, but now the stakes are so high the resolution has to be somewhere near. Shamy are at a crossroads, but they will find their way back to each other. I honestly think that not only will they be back together in the next two episodes, but they'll probably get engaged. I know some people don't want Amy to take Sheldon back because he proposes, but it's not the proposal itself that matters. It's that he loves her. He wants her. And he needs her. And for that reason, I would be happy for them to get engaged right now.

• Like 5

Not quite.

Unlike Sheldon, Amy had had dates in the past (including one since she met Sheldon), albeit none of her suitors got a second date.

If, like all her previous dates, this is a one-off, then no serious damage will have been done.

Totally.

Amy's first on-screen kiss on the lips was Penny, not Sheldon, and her first awakening for sexual arousal was neither Sheldon but Zach. It was also said in a previous episode that she got her first kiss by blackmailing an schoolmate years ago (didn't like it when they said it because it was incosistent with original characterization of Amy, but they did, so). Sheldon's first kiss (altough not reciprocated) was Beverly's, not Amy's)

Also, she wanted to have a date for that wedding, Sheldon refused, so she went for Leonard. She and Sheldon were an unnoficial couple, but since he seemed content with that and she was curious about having a boyfriend, she accepted Stuart's invitation. She's a practical lady! :)

Sheldon isn't running after other women because he had never been interested in love and relationships before her, in the other hand, Amy began to be interested in love and social interactions before they became an official couple. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, those are only different circumstances.

It's a fallacy to assume Shamy is tainted and doomed forever because apparently Amy went out and kissed someone else, they may not be each other's first or only kiss or date, but they are each other's first and only real love, as April said before, their love must be stronger to endure that kind of trials, and I also thought Shamy shippers were actually more invested in both parts of the couple. I've been unhappy with Sheldon for a loooooong time before this, but even after all his bad behaviour of the past, I still haven't reached the point of saying he doesn't deserve Amy anymore.

It surprises me greatly how easy has been for some shippers to instantly ditch Amy and to say 'she doesn't deserve precious Sheldon anymore!', specially for such a little detail of which we don't really know anything about.

I may be proved otherwise by future revelations, but I don't think Amy went and actively looked for the new guy, he may be a co-worker who may be interested in her, knowing she was now single, offered to walk her home and before saying goodbye tried to make his move. It's just a probability, but as good as any other at this point.

I also think this new guy is here to stay for at least one episode more (see Sheldon?, somebody else IS actually interested in invading her southern borders, and since her eggs have an expiration date, well.... ;)

Edited by sarah7
  • Like 9

I do think this is the beginning of the end of the separation.  They can't have a light fun Feynman's van episode with Sheldon this destroyed.  And it sure sounds like he's devastated now that he seems to grasp that it might actually be over. So they really need to fix it within one to two episodes, just logistically speaking. There's really not three episodes of broken Sheldon material.

• Like 3

I do think this is the beginning of the end of the separation.  They can't have a light fun Feynman's van episode with Sheldon this destroyed.  And it sure sounds like he's devastated now that he seems to grasp that it might actually be over. So they really need to fix it within one to two episodes, just logistically speaking. There's really not three episodes of broken Sheldon material.

If it goes on any longer than another two episodes, Sheldon will be in the nut house... along with a few of us.

• Like 3

I'm just going to give my 2c and then I'm out again. 

I agree that after getting more information, the scene seems to have been shot as a deliberate red herring. If they had wanted to get the point across that Amy was on a date and there was something between them, they would have made it clearer than they did. A scene seen from Sheldon's perspective, from a distance, where we only see Amy's back and where different people get different impressions of what the kiss was sounds too confusing a scene not to be confusing on purpose. I also find if absurd to think that Amy would be dating someone else so soon, unless it's because she's forcing herself to do it after what Sheldon said to her last week. There's also lots of detail missing about how Amy reacts to the kiss, whether she's just kind of enduring it or genuinely happily receiving it or what.

As for the ring and when she should find out. I am of two minds about it now. I always said that I don't want Amy to find out about the ring and Sheldon's intentions before they reconcile because it would make it come across as if she's only getting back with him because she's getting what she wants. At the same time, now, they have dug a whole so deep with all these misunderstandings that I can't even imagine how these two might even want to be around each other long enough to talk, let alone reconcile. Sheldon is completely worn down and in the dumpsters and Amy... who knows, but she doesn't seem to want to be around him. And I feel like they need a big shake of sorts. And if we assume that one of the reasons Amy snapped in the finale is because she didn't think Sheldon wanted the same things as she does, or a future with her, wouldn't knowing that she was wrong and he was actually intending to propose actually be a rather important issue that she should know about? I don't know. I feel like they kind of wrote themselves into a corner where they will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

Regardless, overall, I find the writing so far to be terrible. Sheldon is IC, yes, but Amy has been relegated once again to a prop with no clear emotions or intentions and mostly reacting in a way that isn't funny, quirky or off the wall as her character should be to make people laugh. The Amy I thought I knew wouldn't give up on the alleged love of her life so easily without eventually sitting down and being "Look, Sheldon. I'm at the end of my rope here and I need to know what you want because I can't keep going on guessing and waiting". This is way too dark and melodramatic for my taste. Even if this guy now is a relative, it's such an unoriginal trope to bring up that I cannot believe the show is lowering itself to that to keep this nonsensical drama going. It's all turning into a game of "what spanner can we throw in the works next to keep these two apart and from talking so we can drag this out as long as possible, for no discernable reason?". I've seen fanfics written better than this. And I still don't see how this is going to benefit the show since we have had 7 episodes in a row now (including the finale) about the breakup, in one form or another, the gang has been torn apart, Sheldon has become a shell of his former self who is just consumed with this breakup (very believably so, because this is exactly how I thought he would react - and why this is not a suitable storyline for a comedy), Amy is just boring (I'm sorry, she might be right according to some from a human POV, but as a sitcom character she's just boring) and has to be sidelined and Lenny can't move on with their lives.

And as poignant and heartbreaking it must be to see Sheldon tell the story about how he intended to propose with his family heirloom ring before "Amy's feelings changed", I didn't need a proposal story, I didn't need a ring, I didn't need huge developments to enjoy this couple. I wanted them to keep going on their slow trajectory towards a future together in their own quirky way, whether that involved fluffy sleepovers or fighting over something using semaphore (how brilliant an idea is that, Lio), but this is unbearable. I agree that I can't see how they can keep this up for much longer, but at the same time I also have seen how many spanners they're willing to use to do so and that "they're so far from repairing it" quote is not sounding promising either. What made me sad this morning is that I'm not even angry or upset anymore, I just kind of expected this. I'm resigned to slowly letting it go, and that's what's making me sad: that I'm slowly reaching the indifference stage.

I have a feeling SM is a relative and that the shake up is going to be a drag down argument following an emergent crisis involving one of them, making the other go to them. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok, just for lightening the mood... Even if the Shottish actor appears just in one episode, I think his casting was really accurate; he is not just tall...he is more than 2 m. tall (sorry guys, I'm not American, I can handle just the metric system)...Think that, using again the metric system, JP is 1,86 m. tall...

For our American folks, SM is 6 ft 7 in. Big dude. BTW he had a show on HBO that was hilarious but canceled too soon. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I still can't see that they've brought Stephan Merchant in just for a 10 second apparence at the end of an episode. 

That's if it was a date. I'm still stickin with it being a relation of some sorts. 

• Like 1

For our American folks, SM is 6 ft 7 in. Big dude. BTW he had a show on HBO that was hilarious but canceled too soon. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knew he was tall but didn't think he was that tall.  Mayim is going to look tiny next to him.

Stephen is massively tall! Anybody appears tiny next to him. Does anybody know if he had any dialogue? If not, he must surely be appearing in the next episode as he is really funny. He guested in Modern Family as the butler and is of course the co creator of The Office and Extras. I expect he'll have a little more to do with Shamy and their reconciliation (fingers crossed) soon.

Stephen is massively tall! Anybody appears tiny next to him. Does anybody know if he had any dialogue? If not, he must surely be appearing in the next episode as he is really funny. He guested in Modern Family as the butler and is of course the co creator of The Office and Extras. I expect he'll have a little more to do with Shamy and their reconciliation (fingers crossed) soon.

Ten seconds and only seen from a distance by Sheldon, so I'm expecting he'll be back, otherwise what was the point of casting him.

• Like 2

Ten seconds and only seen from a distance by Sheldon, so I'm expecting he'll be back, otherwise what was the point of casting him.

Maybe he is just a friend of someone on the show (writers, producers?) and they offered him a cameo, or he asked to do a  cameo.

Might not be recurring at all, just a one-off. 

• Like 3

Ugh. This is so disappointing. This has sucked from the mistimed unearned breakup until now for so many reasons. I’ve invested enough time and energy that I’m not willing to give up … hence I keep rationalizing by finding ways they can redeem the story … and then they just f* it up more. And I’m not even that difficult to please of a shipper. I feel like it’s a bad sign, when we are one step ahead of the writers and everything we think is possible but would be a bad writing choice happens (Kripke hits on Amy, Sheldon hits on people, Oh Sheldon hit on people therefore this gives Amy the motivation to date someone else, etc.). What happened to clever scenarios like Love Spell that no one could have predicted? Also, didn’t the other couple just get derailed by a 3rd  party kiss … didn’t that just happen?

I’m not usually a huge fan fiction fan because I like the characters - in character, doing things that these fictional people would actually do (some are great though J). But this is not just fan fiction, it’s bad fan fiction. Dream sequences that put together non-canon characters in a physical way …pulling the rug out from under viewers who have been waiting to see that physicality played out visually for them for years (thoughtless if either all for the sake of a joke or to please the other side). Dating other people because of misunderstandings. Ridiculous coincidences like Sheldon’s outburst that just happened to be taped or walking up on Amy as she’s just happening to be kissing another dude. Come on. This is the best you’ve got after 5 years of thoughtfully crafted and mostly believable stories? And the best I can hope for is that Amy was kissing her cousin? Seriously writers. I’m mad that you made me hope that one ridiculous sitcom trope was substituted for another just so I can keep the dream alive.

Moving the plot forward, creating drama, creating interesting situations, even stalling things – I can accept ALL of these things. But can’t you at least find a way to do it that’s intrinsic to these characters and not a ridiculous cliché or blatant plot device?

Amy is an amazing character that has been reduced in my mind – not even to just being a normal girlfriend – but reduced to being a non-entity. Her reactions this season aren’t even based on normal jilted girlfriend tropes – they have no basis in any emotional motivation she’s supposed to be having. Mayim’s acting when she picked up the phone in Sheldon’s skype call in this week’s aired episode was off to me. It didn’t have the same nuance & texture it usually has. Because I didn’t understand where she was coming from. Perhaps Mayim doesn’t either. Is she mad, sad, hurt, frustrated, confused? Was it intimacy that was the problem? Did she fall out of love with Sheldon? Is she conflicted because she loves Sheldon but feels something is missing and can’t figure out what or if she’s willing to figure it out? Is she being “re-traumatized” by the moment of the breakup? By her own decision? By Sheldon’s thoughtless comments? By thinking about the entirety of the relationship? I don’t get it … and my hopes of it being revealed are falling away as we get further and further into the season. Most casual viewers won’t be stuck on needing to know the motivations for this. Perhaps the writers have forgotten they’ve never revealed them. At this point, I would take most explanations as long as there was one. In fact, I feel like they could redeem themselves if they would just give Amy a shred of characterization, context & motivation.

In my mind, sitcoms and dramas that work do not obscure the motivations and nuances of their supporting characters. Everyone has to have a REASON for acting as they do, or it becomes one-dimensional. They’ve always told more of Sheldon’s story and that’s fine (not ideal for me, but fine) but Amy & Sheldon’s relationship worked to the viewer because you could understand and potentially empathize with BOTH sides. It worked because that led to CHEMISTRY. This completely one-sided story is just taking all the fun out of it for me.

Disclaimers: Sorry for rant. Sorry for length. Not usually a poster. More of a lurker.  Probably over-reacting. The writers aren’t evil, they’re just struggling in the 9th inning. Just my thoughts. Other people have said the same thing better

*bows down*

• Like 1