[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

Honestly...I think that going the "jealousy" route for either would be awful.  It would be exactly treating them as if they were any other couple out there...and they are not.  What made them unique is that the writers would treat them completely different than normal couples.   If, and this is a big if because I am hoping Molaro's comment is really a very small minor conversation between the girls only, they go the route Molaro mentioned and take a number of episodes before reconciling Shamy, I think that it would be a big mistake.   While I agree that Amy has to figure things out, she also needs to let Sheldon say what he originally initiated the Skype session about.  She never did let him speak. 

I also think that mirs1 raises a good point...Amy's social life really centered around Sheldon.   While it was the handiwork of Raj and Howard who introduced Sheldon and Amy...they took it from there and became friends first.   They were friends for several months before she even met the rest of the gang.   So how the writers intend to have a story such as Molaro suggested seems challenging, in that she would either have to meet the girls at her apartment or out elsewhere and avoid going to the apartment.  The other guys would feel the loss of her being around as well.   So it would isolate her and it will be hard to figure out what to do with her character in that case and make things work well.   Not sure that makes sense.  

I keep thinking about all of the comments Molaro made at Comic-Con which kind of defy what he implied in the latest interview statement.   So I think we all are going to have to just wait and see what comes out from the taping on the 11th and then we can have a better assessment of what is really likely to happen this season.

But I do agree with many others in that I don't want a season of angst or drama.  I don't mind part of an episode having some angst/drama, but I like quick resolution and for it to get back to being a comedy and not a "drama".   

• Like 8

And how about a girl hearing that Sheldon's supposedly single and tries to hit on him? 

Sheldon obviously not understanding it and Amy going nuts about it.

That could be fun if well handled.

Flashbacks to 'The Nowitzki Theorem', anyone?

But yeah, I think pretty much any interview at this point will have a promotional aspect to it. TPTB will want to draw in as many viewers as possible for the premiere (mo' viewers, mo' money). As such, they need to say things in these interviews that will compel people to tune in on September 21. I know a lot of casual viewers would be intrigued to see Amy try dating somebody else. I know none of us here want to see that, but remember that the die-hard Shamy shippers make up quite a small minority of the overall viewership of the show. 

Honestly...I think that going the "jealousy" route for either would be awful.  It would be exactly treating them as if they were any other couple out there...and they are not.  What made them unique is that the writers would treat them completely different than normal couples.   If, and this is a big if because I am hoping Molaro's comment is really a very small minor conversation between the girls only, they go the route Molaro mentioned and take a number of episodes before reconciling Shamy, I think that it would be a big mistake.   While I agree that Amy has to figure things out, she also needs to let Sheldon say what he originally initiated the Skype session about.  She never did let him speak. 

I also think that mirs1 raises a good point...Amy's social life really centered around Sheldon.   While it was the handiwork of Raj and Howard who introduced Sheldon and Amy...they took it from there and became friends first.   They were friends for several months before she even met the rest of the gang.   So how the writers intend to have a story such as Molaro suggested seems challenging, in that she would either have to meet the girls at her apartment or out elsewhere and avoid going to the apartment.  The other guys would feel the loss of her being around as well.   So it would isolate her and it will be hard to figure out what to do with her character in that case and make things work well.   Not sure that makes sense.  

I keep thinking about all of the comments Molaro made at Comic-Con which kind of defy what he implied in the latest interview statement.   So I think we all are going to have to just wait and see what comes out from the taping on the 11th and then we can have a better assessment of what is really likely to happen this season.

But I do agree with many others in that I don't want a season of angst or drama.  I don't mind part of an episode having some angst/drama, but I like quick resolution and for it to get back to being a comedy and not a "drama".   

Couldn't have said it better myself :)  This is a comedy, not a drama, so by the very nature of the genre, they shouldn't drag on the angst for too long. I'm fine if they want to take it beyond the premiere, in fact I'm expecting that, but I really don't want them to wait until the season finale to fix things up. 

I agree in that these comments are inconsistent with pretty much everything Molaro has said up to this point. We won't know anything for sure until we read that first taping report on August 11 (or August 12, for the antipodeans amongst us). 

• Like 5

Could I please get a time-machine, travel to late 2017, buy the Season 9 and 10 DVDs, sit down on my couch with my cats and watch it without beeing disturbed for, let's say, two days? Two days, because I watch it with English subtitles first (to understand what they say) and with German subtitles after (to understand what I can't translate), and then rewatch all that wonderful Shamy scenes, first that little angst, them missing each other, Sheldon no longer being able to deny his wish to have her with him a often as it is possible and his hippy-dippy-feelings, their heartbreaking getting together again, the proposal, the love-making, the later being almost catched because they get careless because a for 5 years suppressed sexual need explodes, the cohabitation, the marriage. In this order. Thanks.

I know. I don't need a time-machine, I just have to wait two and a half years! Why didn't I think about this earlier. But wait, I couldn't be in the forum anymore then because I would be spoiled. Hm, then forget it.

Edited by Bavarian ShamyShipper Girl
  • Like 3

While this last interview doesn't put us at ease I am still ok with it. First its press for the new season. Shamy status is the first question asked during all interviews so of course they wanna have a little fun with it. Now I think this break will go on till episode 4-5. Definitely no reconciliation in the premiere. And if anything we have all been focused on Sheldons learning to put Amy #1 and express his desires, this break could also have Amy appreciate Sheldon for what he is and how far he has grown. Plus we may learn more back story to Amy which we all have wanted so much... So basically more angst could have a bigger payout. They are the endgame and the writers know this. They handle all their big moments with so much TLC I am still trusting them on this Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Not a regular poster here. But just like to say I woulden't worry about Shamy all that much. When something like this happens it always leads to Sheldon stepping up or some progress. Their first SIK, their second one. Sheldon saying I love you. They are not a conventional relationship by any means, so it is never going to be smooth sailing. But I personally think they needed the break, to re-evaluate things, and see if they want to move forward together. I am in the camp of hoping this gets quick resuloution, so the show can go back to being a comedy. 

• Like 6

I agree it's comedy. Because of that, I don't really find necessary to make things darker. I think Lenny finale events was really nearing to that, I could live without it. No need to make atmosphere even darker by Amy dating someone else, and Sheldon being hurt or whatever. It's just a funny show firstly, I think it should stay like that. 

• Like 5

It will probably suit Jim to play angsty Sheldon right now, especially if Jim's voice is not quite right after his play finishes

In terms of our feelings for the first few episodes there might be a bit of

:dwarf:and :icon_neutral: before we get :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 3

I agree with you, Tallin! All the scenarios we are thinking of, even the best of them, involve  pain, angst, missing each other for an uncertain number of episodes...I mean, it's not a comedy any more! Up to now, the most important Shamy steps were for sure romantic (in their own quircky way) and tender, but they were unexpected and damn funny too...I hope and trust the writers will find their way on this occasion too, to make us laugh (right now I'm not so much in the mood, to he honest!) while telling us the story of two people that for a brief moment have lost each other but now are grown in the awerness they want to be together...I have faith in the writers, they never did wrong to Shamy, everything they have ever written was so in tune with what the characters are, so..let's see!

• Like 4

If the writers want to stay true to the genre, then they won't drag on the angst for too long. Nor will they introduce too much additional drama.

I also have absolute faith in the writers. This seems to me like it's just a small bump in the road. I have no doubts that everything will eventually be fine. It's just a matter of how long it takes to get there, and how the writers choose to handle it. 

they never did wrong to Shamy, everything they have ever written was so in tune with what the characters are, so..let's see!

Agree with this 110%. So far, the writers have handled all of the key moments in the relationship beautifully. There's been considerable development in the relationship, but it's never strayed too far out of character. 

I feel like when we all look back on Season 9 in like a year's time, we'll be able to see the bigger picture, and will see the break as just another plot development in Shamy's love story.

• Like 5

Well. Hm. *scratches head and flips a table*

I was hoping to end my forum summer hiatus on a better note than this. A lot of things are swimming around my mind at the moment (most of all the hope that that was either a really awkwardly phrased quote or Molaro trolling… because he can’t be for real. Right?? RIGHT??), but I guess the main one is that there were literally one hundred scenarios that I would have been fine with to write Shamy out of this mess, and one single scenario that would kill my interest in the show completely, and this interview is scarily close to that one single scenario I have been fearing since May (and even had nightmares about last week!).

Looking at it logically, and trying to hope for the best, I could see how this quote was either poorly phrased or in response to a very specific question that we did not get to hear. If what Molaro is intending to say here is that, while taking her step back, Amy is thinking of all possibilities and scenarios, including whether she might ever want to pursue a relationship with another man, that’s fine. I actually *would* expect her to ask herself that question because it’s one I’ve been asking myself a lot when she has her outbursts of “I deserve romance!” foot-stomping: if you want the 2.5 kids, SUV in the driveway, white picket fence, candlelit dinners gazing into each other’s eyes over wine in a fancy restaurant, passionate lovemaking in front of roaring fires and long-stem red roses and fairytale sweet nothings being whispered in your ear, WHY would you date Sheldon in the first place?! But, at the same time, we have seen her time and time again being swept off her feet and swooned by Sheldon’s own brand of romance. So if what Molaro intends to say is that she’s going to ask herself “Am I really that unhappy? Do I want the 2.5 kids, SUV in the driveway, white picket fence, candlelit dinners gazing into each other’s eyes over wine in a fancy restaurant, long-stem red roses and fairytale sweet nothings being whispered in my ear no matter who I’m dating and I want it NOW?” and she’s going to come to realize that no, she does not want that, then fine. I’m on board with that.

That’s why I totally agreed with Mayim in her recent GoldDerby interview when she said she’s “not sure Amy knows what she wants”. And if the journey Amy is undertaking now is to take a step back not just from Sheldon, but from her own expectations, and evaluate HERSELF as well as everything else, that’s fantastic. Because as much as I think her having to constantly negotiate for intimacy was one of the big issues that need to be solved for these two to move forward (and that’s mostly work to do on Sheldon’s character - which the finale made clear they are doing), I also think that the other elephant in the room is her own demands and expectations and why she never seems to be satisfied no matter how much Sheldon progresses. And if the aim of this “break” is to work on that, awesome!

However, the way that quote is phrased also worries me a lot because, IMO, it could destroy the character of Amy for me forever, not only the relationship. And I’m not talking about whether or not she actually physically dates another man, here. I’m talking about “She’s not ruling it out”. That implies that she has considered it already and she’s reached a conclusion that might be something like “Ok, if Sheldon does not give me what I want in X amount of time or at all, I’m going to go out and find myself another guy”. That is not something her character, Sheldon, or the relationship could ever recover from, IMO, and I’ll explain why I think that. 

First of all, we know that they will have Shamy get back together eventually. That’s a given. But if they get back together after a scenario where it’s more or less implied that Amy would be happy to go look for romantic satisfaction elsewhere a) you are titling the power balance massively in her favor because we know to Sheldon she’s utterly irreplaceable and that would be unrequited (and how freaking depressing is that), and B) no matter what you do, it’s always going to kind of come across as if Sheldon is only giving her what she wants in order to keep her. Which is just awful. Awful, awful, awful. One of the charms of Shamy was that Sheldon slowly came out of his shell and discovered all these hippy-dippy things without coercion. If he gets back into a relationship knowing that at the first wrong step she might just up and leave him for some other man, how can you convince me he’s ever going to be happy, trusting and relaxed in this relationship and not live in constant fear that she’s going to dump him unless he does all the right things at the right time? A scenario where Amy says “I don’t think Sheldon and I want the same thing, and it’s unfair of me to keep pushing him into things he doesn’t want” is one thing. That’s a selfless act of love, the “love them enough to let them go” kind of thing. But one where Amy says “I want X, Y and Z and since Sheldon is not giving it to me I’m going to go look someplace else” is entirely different, IMO.

I mean, I go back to the stupid lines in the finale. “All I can get out of you”. Seriously?!? Amy got friends who have become family, a social life, acceptance, a boyfriend who not only loves her, but loves her so much to have turned his whole self inside out to explore things he wouldn’t even have ever considered before. It was so heartwarming in Prom to see that as soon as she took the pressure off, his walls came down and he trusted her enough with his feelings to open up to her. She made it come across as if she had just been sitting around for five years waiting on him to change into the man she wanted him to be which is just absurd. That’s not the relationship I watched all long! And especially this season. You can count the instances Amy has been “emotionally and physically exhausted” on one hand, if at all! Jesus, I haven’t seen them smile so much and be so in love in the whole previous seasons combined! 

She sat in a movie theater, being told “With the understanding that nothing changes, will you be my girlfriend?”. And she accepted! Sheldon didn’t first ask her to be his gf and then told her “but nothing is going to change”. He told her “these are my terms, now it’s your choice: you can either take me or take Stuart”. And SHE made the choice, knowing full well what she was getting herself into. I’m not saying that she shouldn’t have ever developed stronger hopes or desires for Sheldon, not at all. That happens, and I do feel for her that she wants him so badly and she can’t act on it much and has to constantly negotiate intimacy. And I understand if she’s starting to question whether Sheldon wants her the same way she wants him to the point of stepping back a little. But what I find disturbing about the whole “for five years” deal is that it’s making it come across as if Amy actually all along embarked on a mission to change him into the man she wanted him to be, and now that she’s realized it’s taking too long she’s had enough of it. If that’s the story they want to tell, I don’t feel sorry for Amy at all, I think she’s a pathetic idiot who fooled herself into thinking that the power of her love would change the man she was with in the man she wanted him to be. And don’t even get me started about the sexist undercurrent of “women change men into better human beings” there. 

But, bottom line, to me, is that the reason I got hooked to these two was that they were *nothing* like normal couples. And they could have stayed platonic for the entire run and I would have been happy as long as I got to see the quirky Shamy up against the “normal” world, making me laugh and bask in the glory of their oddness. And I was and am of course totally fine with their story taking a romantic bend too. And I do not expect them to live in constant jubilee without any conflict, of course. Colonization was one example of a believable conflict.Exploring the break over a handful of episodes (4-5), with both of them missing each other and being miserable and making it clear they are irreplaceable to the other, ending in a sweet reconciliation, fine. I still stand by my opinion that this break was completely unearned writing-wise and came out of nowhere, but if we have do deal with it now, let’s do this. But to turn them into yet another romcom cliche’ where the woman is fed up of waiting on her childish man to grow up, put a ring on her and start impregnating her, so she’s going to go browse elsewhere, is a revolting thought to me. If there’s even a hint that Amy is seriously considering dating around, I’m done. And it would break my heart because I don't think a couple like this, with two actors as great as Mayim and Jim, is going to come around again any time soon, if ever again. 

I don't see it going this far.

What I think is maybe Amy got caught up in getting her romantic boyfriend after he said ILY. Deep down I think she still is the girl who wants stories to tell at Girls Night and while she doesn't want to pressure him, once he said those words, she thought she would get her Prince Charming after all. She is human and hearing him talk about the Flash pushed her too far as maybe a part of her still has not gotten over him taking off last summer.

I can see a Girl's Night when she laments about her frustrations about Sheldon and her need for a break. Bernadette, remembering Christmas shopping with Sheldon, snaps at what she sees as Amy's flakiness and unrealistic expectations in a relationship with all that Sheldon has done to be a better boyfriend for her. Yes he got her a mushroom log instead of roses for V day, but Bernie will know that they last forever as opposed to a week.  He also is the one who was willing to give up Mars when he realized how much he upset her with the solo application.  Also, she can't bitch about Sheldon's lack of romance and expression of emotions if she won't talk to him about her needs. 

Finally she tells a frustrated Amy that if she wants her perfect man to break it off with Sheldon so he can find someone who appreciates him the way he is instead of an ungrateful woman.  That way she doesn't have to deal with being annoyed anymore at him not meeting her standards, so she can get that perfect romance man she feels she needs. Maybe after Sheldon is gone Amy will finally realize what is in front of her. 

Amy gets pissed off at Bernie's words and leaves. When she's gone, Penny turns to Bernie and says something like, "you said that so she will talk to Sheldon, didn't you? How did you know to do that?"

Bernie: "I had brothers and sisters. Sometimes one has to use a little reverse psychology. Like taking candy from a baby."

Amy gets home, thinks about what she heard, and realizes she needs to be honest with Sheldon. She goes to talk to him, where they are honest with one another and all is good again as Amy appreciates what she has and Sheldon knows to express his feelings to her more after he gets to finish his speech to her.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by mphs95
All smushed together when originally posted on Tapatalk. Re edited to easier to read.
  • Like 3

I am not an english native language speaker. I´ve learned some acronym here, in the forum, asking like you!  My native language is spanish. I´m glad you like SHAMY!

Hey, that's nice! Mine is portuguese. The cool thing is that we're always learning.

I hope it was just an advertising....it would completely ruin the premises of the show and,as you said, since shamy is the cash cow now, even amy kissing another man would create problem with the audience...impossible that writers don't see it!! The casual comment with the other girls is the closest amy can possibly be to another guy!!!!Anyway, this is supposed to be a comedy....two minutes of Jim parsons acting so well how Sheldon is lost without amy are OK, but angst for most of the season for me is not!

Better 2 minutes of angst than a whole season of it. Angst/drama will ruin everything, and I bet they want to be the top show again (ok, according to statistics they're actually #1 show, I know that). There'll be two episodes in a row this year?

• Like 1

Koops I agree with you about it depends on how they handle it and they could either ruin Amy and Shamy from a fan-viewpoint if they mishandle it or they can continue to give us the couple that we have hoped for.  I am believing in the latter because it is a comedy and it would be far worse to ruin Amy after they had to work hard to get fans to like her.  There are still many fans out there that don't like her.   It would be a disservice to the show to ruin her character by making her motivations wrong.  I don't think they will go there.

Amy does need to figure out what she wants.  I do think she romanticizes "romance".  I also think she doesn't have realistic expectations of a relationship at times.   She loves Sheldon and part of her accepts him for who he is and the other part, the unrealistic romanticizer, seems to want something different.  I think she is confusing "social convention" with what qualities she wants in her man.   She loves Sheldon for his mind, his quirks, etc.   Yet she also wants a "Ken-doll" perfect man that she has created in her mind that swoons her all the time.  But as you said, Sheldon has his own way of showing her romance and those things make her weak in the knees.  She just needs to step back, look at where they have come from and how far Sheldon has truly shown signs of showing his love "his way".  But she needs to go through that evaluation process, which will include thinking about would another man truly be able to satisfy her?  Sure he can put on all the romantic scene (soft candelight, music, flowers, whispering sweet nothings, etc.), but when she had to have a conversation with the guy, could he truly make her happy?   She needs to think about all those things but it doesn't mean she would actually "test" it to find out by dating someone.  I think she will conclude without that ever coming to fruition.

I do agree with the other fans, that so far, the writers have given us some pretty terrific Shamy treatment.   They handled sweet moments with respect and very in keeping to the unique couple they are.   So I am going to have to trust them on this one and am chalking it up to Molaro using a PR tactic to get viewers to tune in and/or his usual poor wording when in an interview.

I do think that it will take about 3 episodes to work things out between Shamy...probably episode four or five will be a reconcile episode.

• Like 5

A little OOT: Any of you know what episode Mayim submitted for her Emmy nomination? Is it a SHAMY one?

According to her own words, Jim helped her in choosing it, as he always  does. (.....and she GOT her fourth  nomination in a row!)

Mayim is a magnificent actress and she is the half of SHAMY!

A little OOT: Any of you know what episode Mayim submitted for her Emmy nomination? Is it a SHAMY one?

According to her own words, Jim helped her in choosing it, as he always  does. (.....and she GOT her fourth  nomination in a row!)

I think she submitted "the prom equivalency"...pretty shamy episode!!!

I'm going into season 9 with a positive outlook. I have no idea whats really going to happen, only what I hope and wish would happen. What I do know is that I cannot wait for the season to begin. I don't know why, but my gut feeling is that the TPTB will make this season epic for Shamy (Lenny too). Words that needed to be said, feelings that needed to be expressed and changes that needed to be made are going to happen. Maybe not when I want them to, but it will happen. Shamy and Lenny are end game.

• Like 4

She submitted The Prom Equivalency, which while it had Shamy and was a significant Shamy episode, time was divided up between all the couples so while a decent choice, I would have recommended she submit The Colonization Application which was a pretty dominant Shamy episode and it showed a huge range of her abilities.   While it is a comedy show and voters look for the comedic acting ability, they also like to see range so picking something like Junior Professor would likely have not done her good since she didn't show a lot of range in it.  They have commented in the past on many comedic actors that they need to show range and not just comedy.  So it is important to voters.  Colonization was a great episode for Mayim.   She had adorably cute/funny "We're getting a turtle" moments to her  "Yes, we are on the same planet" snap,  to sweet reconciliation at the end.   It showed her concerned, angry, happy as a lark, and then sweetly happily in love and content again.  It was a good episode and she was in it far more than Prom.  However, Prom was a very popular episode, so I guess that is why she was recommended to submit it.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 2

I agree maybe Colonization could be better, she's been great in that one, she had more time and it was more focused only on her maybe... but she's pretty much awesome in every ep so...

I also think maybe Fortification would not be such a wrong move. She really done there great piece of work just with her facial expressions or tone of voice, making the material shine more. I admired her acting in that one. But I don't think Prom is a bad decision either. It was a big moment for Shamy, with her acting flawlessly. And Emmy voters have this thing for sentimental moments. We'll see...I think this year it would be more than deserved. 

She submitted The Prom Equivalency, which while it had Shamy and was a significant Shamy episode, time was divided up between all the couples so while a decent choice, I would have recommended she submit The Colonization Application which was a pretty dominant Shamy episode and it showed a huge range of her abilities.   While it is a comedy show and voters look for the comedic acting ability, they also like to see range so picking something like Junior Professor would likely have not done her good since she didn't show a lot of range in it.  They have commented in the past on many comedic actors that they need to show range and not just comedy.  So it is important to voters.  Colonization was a great episode for Mayim.   She had adorably cute/funny "We're getting a turtle" moments to her  "Yes, we are on the same planet" snap,  to sweet reconciliation at the end.   It showed her concerned, angry, happy as a lark, and then sweetly happily in love and content again.  It was a good episode and she was in it far more than Prom.  However, Prom was a very popular episode, so I guess that is why she was recommended to submit it.

I so agree with this, The Colonization Application would have been a great choice for Mayim. I always hear nominees say it's great just to be nominated, which I know is true as it's a HUGE honor, but darn it, I really want her to win, she deserves it.

• Like 3

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic