The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I think there needs to work on their friendship first before even thinking about reconciliation now. And if last episode is what we think it is, I think ep 200 is as soon as we can even think of, if we want something more than just easy fix out of nowhere. And even then, I don't know how writers will do it. Get someone's trust back isn't easy, even more with someone like Sheldon.

I missed the interview of Mayim and now it shows me "file not found" could someone, who saw it please enlighten me on what she said ? :)

I read the article very quickly, so maybe I'm not 100% accurate, but the summary is that they asked about what kind of person Amy would hypothetically date instead of Sheldon and she answered she doesn't think Amy could come up with a hot shirtless guy, but with somebody like her (or Sheldon) which is not so focused on his looks. And she told there are some developments on the "date"-department, but she can't talk about them.

• Like 1

I think what upsets me the most is that in order to make this breakup work they have taken away their friendship too. It makes sense, in a way, because after 5 years and the feelings they have for each other, I couldn't picture them being just friends, but it's depressing nonetheless. And it's exhausting to think that they are going to have to build it all up again from scratch, when they had already come so far. We saw them going through the friendship, the crush, the falling in love stages from S4 onwards, all the way up to that kiss in the finale to just then say "NOPE! Let's tear it down and start again." I said it once before, but to me it feels like I'm going to hand in my thesis after 5 years of hard work and I'm being told to toss it all out and start again and come back in one, two, three years. It just makes me wonder why I bothered with the 5 years to start with. 

I hope that's not what they're doing because it would all be too depressing to bear. I think they could have them reconcile easily in a number of ways without starting from scratch. I could see one come to the defense of the other, for example, in a hard situation. Or I could see them hang out for the first time with their friends, and maybe have a nice time and then one small word precipitates the nice time into an argument where they let it all out and they tell each other what they really feel and find that they're in the same boat still. There are still scenarios that could work, just as the breakup came out of the blue, I can see the reconciliation coming out of the blue. I just think that for them to be in the same room enough to have that one final argument, they're going to need something to push them together at this stage. 

they must tape all episodes up to 200 this week, so we are not going to suffer any longer lol)

Edited by AlFisher

Here's another random thought from last night.....  There was a lot of emphasis placed on the fact that Sheldon had the ring BEFORE Amy broke up with him.  We are always saying that Amy will think that Sheldon got the ring to try to get her to come back to him.  But they made it VERY clear that he had planned to propose before the break-up.  He talks about this in the documentary, and we even get to see the film played on TV as he talks about it.  

I think it's obvious to me that somehow, somewhere, Amy is going to watch this documentary.

True. I feel Amy won't listen to what he has to say on the matter of the ring. Amy and Mary chat please? :biggrin: 

• Like 2

If a guy kissed Amy I think we'll see him at least one more time.

If the character is being played by a major actor, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the show for while, and it ends with him and Sheldon fighting for Amy's affections.

Not that I want to see that scenario, mind.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

I read the article very quickly, so maybe I'm not 100% accurate, but the summary is that they asked about what kind of person Amy would hypothetically date instead of Sheldon and she answered she doesn't think Amy could come up with a hot shirtless guy, but with somebody like her (or Sheldon) which is not so focused on his looks. And she told there are some developments on the "date"-department, but she can't talk about them.

Thank you! Seems like we're not doing with this plot. Well, we will see.

I think what upsets me the most is that in order to make this breakup work they have taken away their friendship too. It makes sense, in a way, because after 5 years and the feelings they have for each other, I couldn't picture them being just friends, but it's depressing nonetheless. And it's exhausting to think that they are going to have to build it all up again from scratch, when they had already come so far. We saw them going through the friendship, the crush, the falling in love stages from S4 onwards, all the way up to that kiss in the finale to just then say "NOPE! Let's tear it down and start again." I said it once before, but to me it feels like I'm going to hand in my thesis after 5 years of hard work and I'm being told to toss it all out and start again and come back in one, two, three years. It just makes me wonder why I bothered with the 5 years to start with. 

I hope that's not what they're doing because it would all be too depressing to bear. I think they could have them reconcile easily in a number of ways without starting from scratch. I could see one come to the defense of the other, for example, in a hard situation. Or I could see them hang out for the first time with their friends, and maybe have a nice time and then one small word precipitates the nice time into an argument where they let it all out and they tell each other what they really feel and find that they're in the same boat still. There are still scenarios that could work, just as the breakup came out of the blue, I can see the reconciliation coming out of the blue. I just think that for them to be in the same room enough to have that one final argument, they're going to need something to push them together at this stage. 

Yeah, well, the first paragraph is exactly how I see it. I don't really see how it do now, other than start from the very beginning. I get it, we have still at least two or three years so there needs to be slowing down. But It's been five, sometimes very frustrating years. I don't know if I want to even watch it all over again, plus, starting on this particular line. If writers intention was to slow things down (and I'm gasping at straws to find reason now),why just not let them being background for a year, no need to regress to the beginning and destroy good portion of character to somehow, give it sense. 

There were numerous ways how to do it IC more or less easily IMO, till this weeks episode. Again, if it is how it looks like. And there's certainly is way how to do it "out of blue," but my concern is, that in that case, there has to be a lot of what we knew about characters to be ignored again in order to somehow, make it work. And I'm not sure me, or even casual viewer will be so happy about it since it's lately happening over and over. I think we both know for Sheldon kiss is not just a kiss. Not like for most of the people would be. The fact that Amy is already "giving  away" something that took them four years to get to and was kind of a testament of how far they've come and what feelings he thought only them share and she just went for it so soon, with someone else, well, for Sheldon I have feeling I know, that would not be a scratch, but last nail in the coffin. At least of his hope and tryings and certainly his interest in her now. I think he already have hard time recognize her actions and the person he liked and I think now, it's the last thing that would made him realize it's lost battle. If we would want to do it true to characters on this stage, it requires a lot of time, slow movement from being friends again and slowly gain lost trust. I don't see Sheldon just getting back together with her after this, at least not without every STD test there is. Let's not forget he has mysophobia too. And I surely don't see Sheldon trusting her and getting to the stage they were at so fast, while previously it took him slow five years. And at that time they started with clean slate. I'm sure they will get them together, I agree it will need something huge to push them to it right now, and I agree it will came out of blue, but honestly I don't know which one I prefer. That way, at least hopefully we could just come back to what their relationship was about and forget about this nonsense that this plot is becoming lately, but on the other hand, it would be here and I'm tired of lack of continuity and bending characters for sake of plot. I know they did it so damn complicated now, that they I believe will soon write themselves into a corner (if it's not already happening) but I'm still kind of hoping they will at least try to do it it's justice. 

Edited by tallin
  • Like 6

If the character is being played by major actor, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the show for while, and it ends with him and Sheldon fighting for Amy's affections.

Not that I want to see that scenario, mind.

it'll be a height off. I too don't want this to happen but...could be quiet funny. 

As long as she doesn't sleep with him it's alright

So that guy was really her date. If Mayim said there'll be developments in the date department. I'm gonna cry!

she might just be saying that for cause and effect She said that ring might not be an engament ring but it ended up being so

• Like 4

I hadn't had a chance to read Mayim's interview, but would she have spilled the beans about episodes that haven't yet aired?  When was the interview done?

Anyway, she would also not like to give everything away, so she may be being a little coy about what she means by "developments".  Could she be referring to the fact that Sheldon sees her, or is it jus the fact that she actually went out on that one date?

I wouldn't get too worried about that statement.

• Like 3

regarding the date.....last episode was the stairwell conversation when she found out Sheldon asked a couple of girls out.  We said it was like a slap in the face the Amy needed.

Now with Sheldon witnessing this kiss, don't you think that might be HIS slap in the face?

I think that stairwell scene was a slap in the face for both of them. It was like 'oh your ready to move on' and as nothing was said to make them think otherwise they just went with that. I think that that scene combined with eveything to do with the documentary he went 'no I'm  not gonna loose her, I'm gonna go put a ring on it FINALLY'. It was all slaps to the face that just fuel his fire. where as this Dave kiss is a slap in the face, your right, but it's more of a 'maybe I'm to late' it's like a realisation that he's kept waiting for too long and she done with waiting and gone. She's done the thing he never thought she'd do. Assuming it was a date of course . 

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 2

No the stairwell wasn't a slap for Sheldon.  It didn't even faze him.  He went on up to his apartment saying how good he tasted, remember?

• Like 2

No the stairwell wasn't a slap for Sheldon.  It didn't even faze him.  He went on up to his apartment saying how good he tasted, remember?

he did indeed, but you know how good his poker face is, I could be wrong. We dunno what the final edit will be. I think the stairwell scene did something to him. He just might have prepared himself for the moment when Amy says she's dating someone or seen it more as threat. Kripke is a coworker after all, enemy or not

argh that hurt typing that :( 

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 2

Regarding the date.....last episode was the stairwell conversation when she found out Sheldon asked a couple of girls out.  We said it was like a slap in the face that Amy needed.

Now with Sheldon witnessing this kiss, don't you think that might be HIS slap in the face?

Yeah, that's how I take it right now. Especially with him being so cocky about how there's no one else for her so she should be grateful for him putting up with her nonsense (and variations thereof) I'd even go as far and say it's pretty deserved at this point.

Plus, it's also taking me back to what Bernadette said - it's better to have someone who wants to be with you because they want to and not because they're out of options. So in a way I'm glad they go that route with Amy and thus when they'll be back together it'll be because she wants it and sees some real value in their relationship and not because no one else wants to invade her southern borders. ;)

I hadn't had a chance to read Mayim's interview, but would she have spilled the beans about episodes that haven't yet aired?  When was the interview done?

Anyway, she would also not like to give everything away, so she may be being a little coy about what she means by "developments".  Could she be referring to the fact that Sheldon sees her, or is it jus the fact that she actually went out on that one date?

I wouldn't get too worried about that statement.

What I could find about the interview was just a that there'll be some developments, which technically we got with the last two episodes so that could just be what she was talking about. She was also asked about what kind of new partners would fit for Amy and Sheldon but I take her answer here just as some personal ideas - nothing from the actual show.

• Like 8

he did indeed, but you know how good his poker face is, I could be wrong. We dunno what the final edit will be. I think the stairwell scene did something to him. He just might have prepared him for the moment when Amy says she's dating someone

argh just trying those last five words made me feel sick :( 

She didn't say she was dating anyone!  She said Kripke asked her out and she turned him down.  That's when Sheldon told her he asked a couple of women out.  Read it again.

• Like 2

So that guy was really her date. If Mayim said there'll be developments in the date department. I'm gonna cry!

I was parafrasing, those weren't her exact words...she said there are some developments she can'r speak of.

• Like 2

There's been a lot of talk about "stages of grief" but this latest tr makes me think Sheldon has been stuck in denial all season.  That thought actually makes me feel a little better.  I found the "moving on" scene as baffling as Amy clearly did.  Why would he give up without even trying?  Maybe he really didn't love her after all.   Well now we know that's not true, he just didn't think he'd really lost her yet.  I know things look grim, but now is the time for Amy to see the same thing.  I think they can do that fairly quickly.  

• Like 3

She didn't say she was dating anyone!  She said Kripke asked her out and she turned him down.  That's when Sheldon told her he asked a couple of women out.  Read it again.

I know they weren't dating I was just thinking worst case scenario. It's like one of the first thing you think about when ending a long term relationship, the thought of your ex even being around other man/women makes your skin crawl, I can't help but think Sheldon prepared himself for the worst case scenario cause he loves preparedness and that kind man he is (that being DATE not being asked out and turned down, that being more of a gentle winding) he was probably worried right up until she said she'd turned down Kripke and thought 'it's just a threat' again just adding fuel to his fire. He was prepared for her asking someone out, prepared for the possibility of dating but seeing someone kiss his girl? Always knocks you for six. 

Not saying you are wrong Kathy this is just how I see it. I'm guessing we're probably going to agree to disagree here

Edited by Amy Fowler

Not saying you are wrong Kathy this is just how I see it. I'm guessing we're probably going to agree to disagree here

I can deal with that (agreeing to disagree).

Sometimes the universe/TV Land just wants you to go back to a simpler time. 

Season 1, episode 2. No Shamy to be seen, but isn't it nice to think there will be one day.

But in all honesty, things will be okay. It's just a rough patch. They'll get back together and it will be all sunshine, smiles, science, and mushroom logs.

#ThereIsNoShameInShippingShamy

image.jpg

• Like 1

I see what you're saying, koops, and you're probably right.   I do hope the powers that be understand that Sheldon's lability might be realistic, but from a narrative standpoint it leaves many viewers confused.  I'm obsessively reading the taping reports and nitpicking over tiny details and  didn't get it.  I don't expect Sheldon to have a perfectly linear brain, but I do expect the story to be at least somewhat linear.

Edited by Boonaroma
  • Like 1

Re: Lio's awesome 'fight through semaphore' idea from many moons and pages ago: Man, I'd love to see Amy take on Sheldon for 'custody' of Fun With Flags. Sass him on Youtube, maybe (not sure about this, but maybe) set up a rival vexillology programme?

Something-anything!- to indicate that she valued something from their relationship? Because this bizarre radio silence about Amy's motives reinforces my gloomy suspicion that the writers just think of Amy as a prop to tell whatever story they want to tell for Sheldon. That they don't care about Amy's desires or feelings at all. They broke up the Shamy because the writers felt like a broken-hearted Sheldon story, and they'll get back together when the writers are bored with the story. And it'll never be spoken of again. And who knows? Sheldon might go back to being casually cruel to Amy a la Season Six, and we'll all bend ourselves into pretzels to justify it from a character point of view. 'He's hurting! He's afraid! And she's guilty! That's why she's putting up with it!'

And in which case- psssst, writers. You want to write some sort of amalgam of a David Mamet and Edward Albee play? Be my guest. You can even take Bialik and Parsons with you. But how about you leave what is meant to be a mellow hang-out comedy alone. 

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 9

Yes, exactly. I think Amy had all the right to be pissed at him for broadcasting their breakup to the entire internet and saying cruel things about her, but I would have much preferred if instead of showing up at his door to yell two lines like a pissed housewife, she had made her own FWF episode in retaliation. And then they could have fought about who owns the copyright of the show. But, no, alas. Amy is just there to be a prop for Sheldon's antics.

Edited by koops
  • Like 9