The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I thought last year was going to be my death but no it was this year. However it's slightly different seeing as how last year's me wouldn't even be contemplating the possibility of not watching the show but now (with Molaro's shit) I don't know if I can stick around and watch Amy manipulate Sheldon's feelings. 

I have always loved Amy and I understand that she wants intimacy. However, she promised that she wasn't going to push Sheldon for it. She loves him and understands him and I don't think she has the right to go out with other guys. She asked for a break, not a break up. There's a huge difference. 

I believe you're totally wrong on 2 counts:

1)  If Amy chose to go out with another guy she wouldn't be manipulating Sheldon's feelings, she would be ignoring them, and taking only hers into consideration.

2) She most definitely has the right to go out with other guys, since Sheldon doesn't own her, and then be prepared to face whatever consequences her actions would bring.

That being said, if she did any of those things it would be amazingly OOC, because she does care for Sheldon's feelings and is, IMO using this self imposed separation to make sure her needs are taken into consideration. I don't even think her need for intimacy, even though justified, is the deal breaker. What she wants more than anything is to be considered a priority in Sheldon's life, and is "forcing" him to at least think about it. Of course with Molaro you never know, but I think if the story is told in a reasonable way, this separation will help them work through their issues, and will force them to grow (mainly Sheldon). IF that's the way it happens, I see it as something positive.

• Like 5

I am not terribly worried. The writers aren't going to let Amy crush Sheldon too bad. He's Teflon, nothing sticks. He'll do that thing where he pretends to look at his shoes, then glances up, then looks back at his shoes thinking she didn't notice him being all cute. His cheeks'll get all pink and he'll say something sweet then something stupid, then right before she slams the door in his face, he'll bring it on home and do the perfect thing that Amy needs to hear.

Amy melts like a Hersey bar on the dashboard of Camry in the hot sun, cut to whatever nonsense Raj is dealing with.

• Like 6

Don´t forget Amy said: "being your girl friend IS" and "I LOVE YOU" when she asked for "some time"(no break)  to revaluate "OUR SITUATION"

Do you see her, a few hours or a few days after, trying to pick up any random guy, when she still considers herself as Sheldon´s girlfriend? If Amy does that, her charácter is complete killed!

(Mayim said in an interview that the writers have chosen very carefully the words used in the tag scene. The words" break" and "break up" are not used and Amy always speaks in present tense)

• Like 8

Can i just say that I am so happy tptb are going to dive into Amy's back story in season 9. I really hope there's mention of Amy's father.

I read a theory (kinda) a few months after season 7's finale saying that Amy and Howard were brothers. It would be fun, but I doubt it will actually happen. 

• Like 1

I think that last season, when Howard met his half brother, that rumour  has been deleted.

I go for a dead war hero or an English noble.

The Amy and Howard rumours have been around for a long time now, I highly doubt they are true

Amy and Howard? What was this on IMDB? Lol ignore it. On another account just saw the episode where Sheldon tells Amy he loves her, Mayim deserves the Emmy for her response alone, she really is quite brilliant. 

• Like 2

Amy and Howard? What was this on IMDB? Lol ignore it. On another account just saw the episode where Sheldon tells Amy he loves her, Mayim deserves the Emmy for her response alone, she really is quite brilliant. 

No, I think they meant the fan rumors, not actually on IMDB. It's been there since season 6 or 7 (I can't recall when for the life of me) but that started with the Closet episode with the letter that Howard got from his dad, and each of them created a version of what it might have in it. Since some fans were fantasizing on who could play Amy's father, they made a theory that what if they're siblings? Heck, their chemistry on the Niel Diamond episode was phenominal, some people just kind of wanna go with the fun idea but not exactly claiming it as true.

Oh cod, not the Howard/Amy siblings thing again. Plus, Bill shot that down on his own twitter not long ago. They are not related. I am though very curious about the episode that's allegedly going to deal with Amy's great uncle and digging into her family. I'm still thinking, given that once again we are talking about uncles, that Amy never had a father. I'm very curious as to whether that will be touched upon at all.

• Like 2

Like what Susana said, Howard already has his half-brother, so that idea had been long gone. But I agree, it wouldn't kill the writers to touch upon Amy's background a little more. It will kill me with glee!

Amy is prob the least explored character on the show. So be good to see her background. Although I don't think her Mother has survived from that last skype with Amy and Sheldon lol. Like to see her father though, be interesting is he a strong character, or is he a Leonard haha. 

• Like 1

Oh cod, not the Howard/Amy siblings thing again. Plus, Bill shot that down on his own twitter not long ago. They are not related. I am though very curious about the episode that's allegedly going to deal with Amy's great uncle and digging into her family. I'm still thinking, given that once again we are talking about uncles, that Amy never had a father. I'm very curious as to whether that will be touched upon at all.

I think the specifics of the family member we learn of being her uncle was just a joke by Kaplan. 

• Like 4

Yes, Nick, I really think the writers are kidding a lot with us ( SHAMY fans)

I go for Amy´s father, no her uncle.(but, who knows......?)

:icon_surprised:

Oh, I'm so gullible! If that was a joke, I totally fell for it!

• Like 1

Agreed, it was a joke by Kaplan, BUT Molaro did say they do want to explore more of Amy's family situation (or something like that).  Agreed, she is the least explored character in regards to her family out of the bunch (although considering its been almost 9 years with Penny and we have no last name, no mother meetings, etc not terrible).

We know Amy has an overprotective Mother and grew up with interesting thoughts & perceptions.  Long story short, if we find out more this will be great. 

The fact that it was established by Molaro just like he knows there is something there to explore with an Amy & Mary meeting....all good things my friends.

• Like 2

If you'd think about it, we've seen or heard of the parents of all 6 of the major characters in the show (of course, except for Howard's complicated family history and Leonard's dad who has been at least mentioned a couple of times). We only know about Amy and have only heard and seen a few lines from her mom! Not a sibling or anything. A couple of mention of cousins, aunts and uncles. There. After The Weekend Vortex, I really hoped that they would at least look into following through with meeting Amy's family or relatives in the show. Alas, three seasons down and nothing.

I want to cry. TPTB, please get our hopes up too much if you're going to ruin our hearts!

We've seen or heard at least one parent for everyone so far so I say it's about time we met someone from the Fowler family :)  

But seriously guys, one week to go. I am so, so excited but I'm also slowly dying inside...

• Like 1

Well, we have heard quite a lot about Amy's family, to be fair. The only thing is that all the mentions have been about her mother, tons of aunts, uncles and cousins, which always made me assume she has a very large extended family. I think it's pretty fair to assume by now that she's an only child and that's why we haven't heard anything about siblings, and, if that's the case, I don't find it weird that we haven't. Her father, though, is a totally different story. Even if she never met him, someone must have provided his genetic material, unless she's some clone or alien for outer space :p  So it would be interesting to find out what's going on there: has he been around all this time and we just never heard of him? Is he dead? Is her mother divorced? A single mother? Had her via IVF? What? 

• Like 5

Well, we have heard quite a lot about Amy's family, to be fair. The only thing is that all the mentions have been about her mother, tons of aunts, uncles and cousins, which always made me assume she has a very large extended family. I think it's pretty fair to assume by now that she's an only child and that's why we haven't heard anything about siblings, and, if that's the case, I don't find it weird that we haven't. Her father, though, is a totally different story. Even if she never met him, someone must have provided his genetic material, unless she's some clone or alien for outer space :p  So it would be interesting to find out what's going on there: has he been around all this time and we just never heard of him? Is he dead? Is her mother divorced? A single mother? Had her via IVF? What? 

agree.  Its the father question that we need answers.  And actually the father card (whether he is MIA, was never around, died, etc) could play a role in her relationship or what she expects/wants/needs/thinks she needs/etc with Sheldon...

and I put money on it she's an only child. 

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 5

Maybe she's adopted and has never asked about him.

Or maybe her mother was a free spirit in her youth and don't know who her father is..

I am not really into the whole "family issues -> relationship" parallels, to be honest. I am more interested in the father question because... well, he must have existed at some point! And it seems bizarre that we haven't heard anything about him until now. Actually, more than how that might reflect in Amy's relationships expectations (which I don't really think she had any prior to meeting the girls, like Molaro was sort of saying), I think it's interesting in terms of her background as possibly the loneliest of all the characters when it comes to her past. If it turns out that she didn't even have a father around, on top of no siblings, it kind of paints a rather empty immediate-family life. At the same time though, again, she seems to have a very large extended family that reminds me of Sheldon's (not very rich and very dumb, at least by their standards) that she's pretty involved in, so.... hard to pinpoint. Amy also doesn't seem to have a great grasp on what constitutes "sad" in the eyes of other people. So I wonder if she doesn't even think much of whatever sad father story she happens to have, like she doesn't of many other things. Or what. So many options!

The one thing that would actually interest me in terms of how this relates to her relationship with Sheldon, is, again, not what kind of influence her father or lack thereof has on her expectations, but whether or not Sheldon knows what is going on with that aspect of her life: if the show decides to go the "mystery" or sad story route when it comes to her father, will they write it as that was something Sheldon was unaware of too, and maybe didn't even bother asking, and have someone else (i.e. Penny) lecture him about how could he not know about it? Or will he be the only one who knows? That's what would be interesting to me. 

• Like 7

it would be interesting to know how much Sheldon knows about Amy and her past.  We know they do discuss some private stuff from their childhood (he knew Amy cut her webbed toes pretty early on).  But it would be very interesting if he knows her story sort of speak.

I do think Amy grew up very lonely, just her & her mother.  And what a mother she had (which we have gotten plenty of comments through the years to basically come up with what she's like)

I do think the lack of a father figure could paint a picture of what she want for herself (something she didn't have growing up).  And I agree, these thoughts didn't bubble up until meeting Penny/Bernie/the group...those feelings are now there and maybe she is like "hey, I'm in my 30s, this is going nowhere, I don't want to end up lonely like my Mother, etc" who knows..

• Like 1

Oh, I'm so gullible! If that was a joke, I totally fell for it!

Joke by Kaplan, related to Mayim's trip to Israel and her photo shoot in her great, great relative home now museum.

• Like 2

Ohhh, thanks notch! I didn't get that at all, I thought he was serious! LOL!

One thing about Amy's mom is that so many fanfics paints her as a total harpy. I never understood why. I think she's way way way WAY overprotective and old fashioned, but I think she's like that because she does care about Amy in her own weird paranoid way. I don't think we ever had a hint at all in canon to suggest that Amy's mom was horrible to her. It seems to me quite the contrary, that she was trying to make her feel better about not having friends and was "full of fun little lies like that". I'm not saying she had an award-winning parenting style, but I also never got the impression she was a horrible human being. I get the feeling that, like Mary, she had a handful of a child in her hands but, unlike Mary, she also had some pretty big paranoia issues of her own, for whatever reason (and I wouldn't be surprised if it were something like Chiany suggests - she got pregnant by accident and became super paranoid and conservative about sex ever since) that explains why, IMO, when Amy was introduced, she was possibly even more robotic and worse than Sheldon was when he met Leonard, socially speaking. 

• Like 7