[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

I think Amy impulsively took a shot in the dark when she asked Sheldon for a reconciliation. She clearly jumped the gun with the break up and wishes everything would return to the status quo before the break up (even accepting Sheldon as he was- settling?). She loves him of course but wants him to grow up and be a lover, not just a companion...she still wants this i'm sure but is willing to settle for the companion because she misses him that much.

Amy is a smart cookie, and though she is new herself to relationships (and break ups) she HAD to have known her proposition was a long shot after all this time and zero conversation about what happened to them. It was desperate hope because of the nice day they spent together, and im sure it was jarring nonetheless to hear Sheldon maturely take his step back when she asked.

I predict Amy will accept the friendship for now in order to maintain the companionship she misses. At some point she will learn of the ring either through Penny (how in the world did that woman keep that secret when she was so excited to have heard from Sheldon in a past episode that he didnt rule out sex with Amy in some distant future??) or from watching the documentary. That info will sting but it will also give her some motivation to pursue the reconciliation with Sheldon knowing how committed he was prepaeed to be. 

Maybe Amy starts with a spaghetti and hot dog dinner with Strawberry Quik....Im optimistic that things will work out, and sooner rather than later

• Like 7

Thanks again for the additional taping info and for your imput Monique, and I think your take on the scene is nice and ideal, but knowing Sheldon, I'll bet good money that he was thinking in nobody else but himself when he said that line.

Now, I've not being subtle at all about my disliking of the way the things developed by the end of the episode, but I swear what I'm about to say is not with the intention of being a downer, it's a genuine doubt.

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that Amy will be totally cool with the idea of having a happy and normal social convivence with Sheldon as 'just friends', and that everything will be cute and there will be lots of sexual and romantic tension until they finally give up to their impulses and feelings.

I mean, I know she was happy to be no more at odds with him, but it was something that was being bound to happen sooner or later, being in the same circle of friends, working in the same place, it could had took years, but they could have had again an amicable relationship after their feelings settled down, perhaps after each one have had other relationships. But there's always the fact that Amy doesn't want just another friend (no matter how good friends she could be with Sheldon), she wants a boyfriend, someone with whom she could have a physical and romantic relationship. By Monique's description, she seemed completely crushed after the phone call, if she was really sad after he said he was trying to move on, how could she be feeling now after she got hard and definitive confirmation of it? He completely rejected her romantically speaking, plain and simple, it's not anymore as those times he said he was not ruling out things, are we sure she is just going to be there and quietly and hopefully wait for him to change his mind?

I mean, I know this is fiction and everything is possible, and given that the writers don't really care about her, she easily can be every moment after him, glowing with happiness with every little scrap of attention he decides to give her, sure that someday he will trust her again, but realistically speaking, it doesn't ring true, at least not for me.

though he did reject the offer of returning to the status quo, Sheldon's explanation (as hard as it mightve been to hear for Amy) showed Amy that the break up was hard on Sheldon, maybe more than she realized given that she thought he moved on. the jury might even be out as to whether his statement of not excelling at getting over her meant that he had actually succeeded in getting over her...when she gets home shell do some soul searching and realize there is still much to hope for, and shell have to actually talk to sheldon instead of skyping and phoning in her bombshells.

• Like 7

I don't know how much you guys should read into this or rely this source but I copied a comment someone said on the wiki spoiler site for the bbt. Link will be included

"I've read on Facebook that there's this friend who's friend is a script assistant of TBBT and they are working on a make-up scene Christmas/ January. But that's all they could tell us for now. :)"

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Platonic_Permutation

the link above is where i found this comment

Edited by katzinhatz1
  • Like 5

I don't know how much you guys should read into this or rely this source but I copied a comment someone said on the wiki spoiler site for the bbt. Link will be included

"I've read on Facebook that there's this friend who's friend is a script assistant of TBBT and they are working on a make-up scene Christmas/ January. But that's all they could tell us for now. :)"

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Season_9

the link above is where i found this comment

If you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. 

ETA: Generic "you" not directed at katzinhatz 

Edited by DrWackaDoodle
  • Like 2

Well it looks like Sheldon didn't give her to much of a chance to say what changed by telling her he wants to just be friends. She wanted time to think, she broke up with him because of all the insults, and how insufferable he was being, AND he's not the only who was hurting, AND he was the first one of the couple to tell the other one that he was moving on, so...

yeah maybe he didn't, but i still think if she ever contemplated there's even a slightest chance she'll wanna come back, like if she's thought of it more like a 'break', rather than 'break-up' in her head, she definitely should have told him so, and make it very very clear! Because she's told him 'we are broken up', didn't want him to come to her apt etc, and if now all of a sudden she's 'i'm ready to be your girlfriend again', it just feels very very weird to me, like she's completely ignoring the pain he had to go through!

I hope ofc my mind changes when i see the actual episode

AND whatever her reasons were , they don't look too good to me... She broke up with him cause she didn't like something in him, and since he doesn't even know what it was, clearly he didn't have a chance to work on it.. So basically Amy's just coming back to him in spite of whatever it was bothering her... Some people interpret that as selfless, i see it more as pointless, if she was ready to be selfless all along and forget about her needs completely, what was the point of this break up? Especially, since if that's the case than this is a huge step back - in S8 Sheldon may not have been perfect, but he's made many, many compromises for her, and now as a friend he won't be making any, so they're back to S5 only with a more balanced, nicer Sheldon.

• Like 1

Personally I think tptb wasted a lot of time on this break up when they could/should of built on the greatness of last season and again I know they had some issues but nothing that was worth breaking up over

Sorry I will stop with that now (maybe)

I am Happy they are friends again though and the new friends dynamic will be intriguing to watch

• Like 4

Oh man, now I'm sad again.. This season has been so hard to watch, even though I think it has been really funny and brilliant, Shamy aside. I'm just having a hard time enjoying it, because of Shamy. Remember when waiting new episodes and spoilers was fun? Now I'm always terrified and sick to my stomach when waiting the new TR. And I'm too curious and hooked not to read the spoilers. Oh gosh my feelings just go up and down with this.. Writers please, give us some happiness after all this depression and sadness!

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 5

Personally I think tptb wasted a lot of time on this break up when they could/should of built on the greatness of last season and again I know they had some issues but nothing that was worth breaking up over

I am Happy they are friends again though and the new friends dynamic will be intriguing to watch

again, well said.

Oh man, now I'm sad again.. This season has been so hard to watch, even though I think it has been really funny and brilliant, Shamy aside. I'm just having a hard time enjoying it, because of Shamy. Remember when waiting new episodes and spoilers was fun? Now I'm always terrified and sick to my stomach when waiting the new TR. And I'm too curious and hooked not to read the spoilers. Oh gosh my feelings just go up and down with this.. Writers please, give us some happiness after all this depression and sadness

Yeah I was starting to feel the same way. While I understand and support character growth in a television series that is enjoying a long life and syndication I think the series should stay true to its roots as best it can. TBBT is a sitcom and should at its heart reflect that format. I'm not suggesting sitcoms should be restricted to a 24/7 laugh-athon without dramatic moments mind you, some of TBBT' best episodes were those slices of poignant moments that humanize the characters. I am, however, suggesting that many folks tune in because they want to laugh and forget their troubles for half an hour. This break up has been several episodes of awkwardness and gloominess and that takes the fun away for a lot of us (not EVERYONE, I know!). And there is no comparison between the Lenny breakups and this current one since Lenny drama was short lived. With the TR for 909 out then there is hope, it seems, of a renewal of friendly terms between Amy and Sheldon. If that holds true then I am relieved, whether they renew their love affair or postpone that reconciliation further down the road.

Its an award winning comedy series for a reason, let it be more fun and less soap-opera like...

• Like 2

It would be so romantic if they would make Amy's wedding plans happen, but in that case they probably cannot wait till season finale to get them back together. Though I could see them getting married quite quickly after engagement, since I think to Sheldon that would only be logical. My prediction is (I should not do this, because I'll probably end up getting my hopes up again..) that on Christmas we'll get something between them, a kiss, a conversations, anything really that indicates the upcoming reconciliation. Then 200th episode could be a reconciliation and an engagement episode, because I see those could happen at the same time. I just feel they want something BIG for the 200th episode and because 100th ep was Lenny getting back together, it would seem too easy to use the same plot again but with Shamy. Also they could get a lot of comedy out of them planning the wedding for the rest of the season. They could also (and I hope they don't wait so long) make the engagement in the season finale and use summer's time jump to able the wedding in 10.02. 

Well this is just me speculating, it really could go any way possible.

• Like 5

My newest projection.  The writers have talked about acknowledging the Christmas Day release of the new Star Wars movie.  So for now I will predict that Shamy gets back together on Christmas Day and get engaged in Episode 200 in February.

(Gosh, the stories running through my head, I wish I could write fanfiction)

:girlglasses:

As it's released a week earlier here.... Amy wins tickets for the UK opening and she and Sheldon go to London for a vacation.   Probably about the only thing that would get Sheldon to willingly go an vacation as well.

• Like 3

Its been so hard to watch, even though I think it has been really funny and brilliant, Shamy aside. I'm just having a hard time enjoying it, because of Shamy. Remember when waiting new episodes and spoilers was fun? Now I'm always terrified and sick to my stomach when waiting the new TR. And I'm too curious and hooked not to read the spoilers. Oh gosh my feelings just go up and down with this.. Writers please, give us some happiness after all this depression and sadness!

feeling.thumb.gif.89e43b1d957862c3ae4738

I feel you, bro, so i want to give you a hug and several cups of warm drink... we need strength and patience.

i am afraid of further development. What are we going to have as a result? I want to get into the author's head too much lol

• Like 3

Yeah I was starting to feel the same way. While I understand and support character growth in a television series that is enjoying a long life and syndication I think the series should stay true to its roots as best it can. TBBT is a sitcom and should at its heart reflect that format. I'm not suggesting sitcoms should be restricted to a 24/7 laugh-athon without dramatic moments mind you, some of TBBT' best episodes were those slices of poignant moments that humanize the characters. I am, however, suggesting that many folks tune in because they want to laugh and forget their troubles for half an hour. This break up has been several episodes of awkwardness and gloominess and that takes the fun away for a lot of us (not EVERYONE, I know!). And there is no comparison between the Lenny breakups and this current one since Lenny drama was short lived. With the TR for 909 out then there is hope, it seems, of a renewal of friendly terms between Amy and Sheldon. If that holds true then I am relieved, whether they renew their love affair or postpone that reconciliation further down the road.

Its an award winning comedy series for a reason, let it be more fun and less soap-opera like...

Exactly. I wouldn't compare this break up to Lenny's break up, because the writers are handling this differently. To drag this much sadness and depression for so long in the season is just.. I understand they wanted to shake things up a little and explore Sheldon and Amy outside of the relationship, but it does have too much drama IMO. The writers know just how loved Shamy is, so they must know how much pain and sadness this is causing to the fans. I just really wish they would be done with this and make the show a bit lighter once again. I'll be happy with Shamy as friends for now (well almost happy..), but I want to see some hints of them loving each other and wanting to be together at the end. We need some hope.. 

I feel you, bro, so i want to give you a hug and several cups of warm drink... we need strength and patience.

Thanks! Patience is the key..

• Like 5

It would be so romantic if they would make Amy's wedding plans happen, but in that case they probably cannot wait till season finale to get them back together. Though I could see them getting married quite quickly after engagement, since I think to Sheldon that would only be logical. My prediction is (I should not do this, because I'll probably end up getting my hopes up again..) that on Christmas we'll get something between them, a kiss, a conversations, anything really that indicates the upcoming reconciliation. Then 200th episode could be a reconciliation and an engagement episode, because I see those could happen at the same time. I just feel they want something BIG for the 200th episode and because 100th ep was Lenny getting back together, it would seem too easy to use the same plot again but with Shamy. Also they could get a lot of comedy out of them planning the wedding for the rest of the season. They could also (and I hope they don't wait so long) make the engagement in the season finale and use summer's time jump to able the wedding in 10.02. 

Well this is just me speculating, it really could go any way possible.

I absolutely believe that the reconciliation, if it is to happen, will occur around the Christmas episode. Let's face it, Christmas time  and the holiday season in general is when people hold loved ones a little closer and folks reminisce about their lives. The holidays are full of sentimentality and TBBT has used that episode for plot lines involving the "warm and fuzzy" topics (as it should!). Last Christmas had Sheldon revealing to Bernadette the little things he loves about Amy. Though the gift exchange between Amy and Sheldon had an initial underlying revenge motive by Sheldon, it nonetheless left both feeling loved and cared for. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sheldon Santa photo doesn't get dusted off by Amy this season during decoration time at the apartment, and this triggers all of those feelings again for her. Just sayin, not starting any fan fiction lol....

Certainly the New Year is a time for reflection and setting goals, remembering and cherishing the people who are important and being thankful for the good things in life. With the new year comes the hope of a new start at things....So, if the writers choose to make New Years the time for a reconciliation, that would make sense as well.

I just don't see the writers not taking the most logical and simple time to push the Shamy plot along by using the holidays to their advantage. I trust that there is no contempt for the audience on their part, despite many fans thinking otherwise lol!

• Like 8

but I want to see some hints of them loving each other and wanting to be together at the end. We need some hope.. 

Thanks! Patience is the key.. 

Ohhh yes. Definitely. I want hints, love, pink ponies and rainbows right now! LOL

• Like 3

I absolutely believe that the reconciliation, if it is to happen, will occur around the Christmas episode. Let's face it, Christmas time  and the holiday season in general is when people hold loved ones a little closer and folks reminisce about their lives. The holidays are full of sentimentality and TBBT has used that episode for plot lines involving the "warm and fuzzy" topics (as it should!). Last Christmas had Sheldon revealing to Bernadette the little things he loves about Amy. Though the gift exchange between Amy and Sheldon had an initial underlying revenge motive by Sheldon, it nonetheless left both feeling loved and cared for. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sheldon Santa photo doesn't get dusted off by Amy this season during decoration time at the apartment, and this triggers all of those feelings again for her. Just sayin, not starting any fan fiction lol....

Certainly the New Year is a time for reflection and setting goals, remembering and cherishing the people who are important and being thankful for the good things in life. With the new year comes the hope of a new start at things....So, if the writers choose to make New Years the time for a reconciliation, that would make sense as well.

I just don't see the writers not taking the most logical and simple time to push the Shamy plot along by using the holidays to their advantage. I trust that there is no contempt for the audience on their part, despite many fans thinking otherwise lol!

Christmas would be a good time and it would probably trigger of those feeling for Amy, but we already know that she wants to get back together so it wouldn't make any difference to her.  It's more likely to make her depressed.  As for Sheldon, well I know he ended up enjoying last Christmas, but has his attitude to Christmas really changed?

• Like 1

I also think that Christmas would be a perfect time for that. It would be a great gift from the writers, after putting us trough this. We'll probably know a little better after the next couple of episodes when we see which direction the writers are going with this. But man I hope we would get a great Shamy Christmas!

• Like 3

With the newly established friendship thing going on, I have no expectations that they Will get back together at Christmas, that's too soon I think and they need to rebuild

Logically you're right, but the breakup came somewhat out of the blue, so them getting back as a couple could come out of the blue too.

• Like 6

Well I'm running out of patience.. If we have to wait till the next spring (or worse, season 10) for reconciliation, I will probably go insane. 

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 3

Christmas would be a good time and it would probably trigger of those feeling for Amy, but we already know that she wants to get back together so it wouldn't make any difference to her.  It's more likely to make her depressed.  As for Sheldon, well I know he ended up enjoying last Christmas, but has his attitude to Christmas really changed?

I really do think it has. While it's true that Sheldon wasn't a fan of gift giving and Christmas ( loved the angry Santa and cannon episode though the backstory was sad), I believe last year's Christmas episode was a turning point thanks to Amy. While shopping for his "revenge" gift for Amy, Sheldon is reminded of what things Amy is fond of (harp playing, Chaucer, etc) and in turn continues to remind himself that this is a woman he loves thanks to Bernadette's keen eye. When Amy gives Sheldon a box of his beloved MeeMaw's cookies that she went to the trouble of baking after getting the recipe, he genuinely looked stunned...the gift was touching and rocked him to the core as it was totally unexpected. In that moment Sheldon suggests that perhaps he was wrong about the season and the sentiments behind the gift giving....now we all know Sheldon doesn't forget anything, and when Christmas rolls around again this year I'm sure his last experience will come to mind. Amy made Christmas special for him, there's no denying it.

now, hopefully before the Christmas episode airs the two characters will have worked on their relationship a bit, so that (as you suggested) the Christmas episode isn't sad for either of them but instead is a catalyst for change and a renewed love affair. I doubt the writers are looking to make it a downer, but I guess we'll have to wait and see....

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic