[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

I thought I might add that it would not shock me at all if the writers have Amy fall all over herself, jumping through hoops and pulling every possible trick out of her hat to win Sheldon back while he remains aloof and indifferent.  We've learned from the past that the writers find desperate, pathetic Amy to be HILARIOUS!

• Like 8

I think Amy screwed up, not when she asked for time to think, nor when she broke up with Sheldon for hurling insults at her in the middle of his best friend's wedding, but rather when she didn't ask him to have a serious talk about all their issues after he calmed down.  However that's not the story the writers wanted to tell.  They wanted to go down a less realistic, twisty, bumpy road.

I also hold her accountable for every time she brushed problems and hurt under the rug rather than calling him out.  He takes off for 45 days without telling her and there is no real discussion of how this hurt her, instead she tiptoes around him due to the fact that he is now a confirmed flight risk.  This is only one example and I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

From this point on, I  would like to see them respect what the other is communicating to them.  That's why I feel Amy should fulfill Sheldon's desire for her to drop the romantic aspect of their relationship as he has clearly requested.  I don't think she should say to herself, "he said just friends, but I know better than he does what he wants, so I'm going to flirt and manipulate my way back to making him my boyfriend again."  She asked to get back together; he clearly said no to that proposal.  To pursue him now would be extremely disrespectful on her part in my opinion.  I dislike when he disregards her attempts at communicating her needs/desires and I don't want her to do it to him.

I agree with the first two paragraphs for sure. Communication, or lack of it, is responsible for the mess they are in. That, and Sheldon's tendency to treat Amy as second class now and then ( his description of their relationship once as being skewed in his favor speaks volumes). If Amy was, however, to do as you suggest and accept Sheldon's offer of friendship at face value instead of opening a true dialogue on their reconciliation (something she should have considered INSTEAD of the abrupt GF proposal), I would see it as merely "surrendering" in the same fashion that Sheldon gave up on Amy. Somehow I don't see Amy being that timid. I hope not anyway. 

If, after a dialogue, Sheldon is absolutely determined to stay out of a romantic relationship with Amy then it changes the ballgame. Amy would have to decide if that is something she could live with. And either way, that would make for an awkward friendship.....

I thought I might add that it would not shock me at all if the writers have Amy fall all over herself, jumping through hoops and pulling every possible trick out of her hat to win Sheldon back while he remains aloof and indifferent.  We've learned from the past that the writers find desperate, pathetic Amy to be HILARIOUS!

yes, thought on that one too, and definitely one possibility. Have some fun at Amy's expense and have a more serious revelation or talk much later. Yikes!

2L344:

I, and countless others, have wanted an honest dialog between the two since the beginning.  The writers, however, don't seem to want to go there yet, so we're working with what they've given us.  Honestly, a serious talk on their anniversary would have prevented all of this mess.

You stated, "...Sheldon knows (now) that Amy wants him back, she told him so."  I just don't understand what more Amy should do at this point?  Why is it all on Amy's shoulders to pursue, nurture and grow this relationship?  In my opinion, the ball is now in Sheldon's court.  It's his decision whether or not to act on Amy's suggestion to get back together or not.

• Like 7

While I have suggested in many posts that Amy needs to initiate a dialogue with Sheldon and have a frank discussion about the break up and what she wants from Sheldon that doesn't mean I would be opposed to Sheldon making that move. I just don't see him doing it at this point based on his reaction to the break up. He had a melt down and has since convinced himself Amy moved on and so should he. 

I would love to see a follow up to 9.09 where Sheldon checks on Amy a day later to see how she was doing, and in doing so opens a dialogue himself about their break up. Maybe he can explain in more detail why a reconciliation isn't in their best interest and use it as an opportunity to own his past behavior and even apologize for it. I'm betting there is a big part of him that DOES want to have that discussion or else he would never have discussed with Amy her dating relationships in 9.09... And we all know his compulsive need for closure ( even someone without OCD would want it).

This would give Amy the opportunity to explain her own desires, own her mistakes at not communicating better, and still pursue a discussion leaning towards a dating relationship again rather than settling for a friendship...

so, while I think the responsibility lies with Amy in pursuing a dialogue towards reconciliation, I would certainly welcome a scenario where Sheldon in facts begins it!

• Like 5

But he's never said that he wouldn't ever have sex with her or that sex will never happen.  That's the assumption that everyone is making--that he has to somehow declare to her that he will have sex with her at some point, or that he has to prove to her by having sex with her now that he's ready to marry her.

The issues that Amy had didn't seem to be about him not wanting to have sex with her, but simply about his focus or attention toward her.

So I don't think that the issue between them has to do with Sheldon wanting or not wanting sex, therefore proposing to Amy shouldn't require him to sign some kind of sex affidavit to prove that he's ready for sex.

And when I said "give it up" I was referring to how many people refer to whether or not someone will comply.

The car accident rumor is nothing more than someone's fantasy about how they wanted a reconciliation to happen.  A bad idea, IMO.

He never said when they would have sex either.  Your assumption is that he's going to wait until after marriage, yet he's never even implied that he wanted to wait.  The first indication that he even wanted to get married was the S8 finale.  And no one is saying that he needs to declare his intention to have sex with her, at least I'm not.  They do need to have a proper conversation about what their needs and desires and not just about sex.

There's no doubt in mind that he'll have sex with Amy when he's ready and if it's before marriage, it will be because they BOTH want it.

• Like 3

eh, maybe....but to move on and be friends, and wait until MAYBE they fan the flames later down the road, without ever discussing the break up and having a REAL convo about what they want from one another? Not a fan of that....and not because it would turn into a "blame game" with them, but because the risk of repeating the break up is huge. I think we can both agree that Sheldon and Amy could easily get wrapped up in the euphoria of being companions again, they clearly enjoy each other's company when they are relaxed with each other. But to enter a romantic relationship with acknowledging that disastrous break up would be foolish...Sheldon knows (now) that Amy wants him back, she told him so. And though Sheldon appears to have matured and changed a bit as a result of the break up, I doubt he's self aware enough to pick apart his behavior when Amy asked for space. 

I just don't think the friend zone is a desirable place to be going into the tenth episode of this downer of a season. I know, wishful thinking, but here's to hoping the Shamy plot doesn't continue to be a downer of one...

lol, not suggesting that Amy needed to be a doormat, and wasn't implying she was a b*tch either. The fact of the matter was Sheldon, through his interactions with Amy, was given no reason from her to believe a pursuit of her was desired. He has no frame of reference to guide his behavior since he is dealing with his first break up, and was acting like the typical ass that he can be while trying to make sense of what was happening. Not an excuse for Sheldon either, but is more of an explanation...

No, actually my hope is that they will eventually bring up their issues at some point. I definitely don't want that ignored. That's the thing I want most for them is for them to not just ignore this ONE THING. If there is ONE THING the writers can give us, it has to be this talk between them, spilling out all their feelings.

• Like 6

2L344:

I, and countless others, have wanted an honest dialog between the two since the beginning.  The writers, however, don't seem to want to go there yet, so we're working with what they've given us.  Honestly, a serious talk on their anniversary would have prevented all of this mess.

You stated, "...Sheldon knows (now) that Amy wants him back, she told him so."  I just don't understand what more Amy should do at this point?  Why is it all on Amy's shoulders to pursue, nurture and grow this relationship?  In my opinion, the ball is now in Sheldon's court.  It's his decision whether or not to act on Amy's suggestion to get back together or not.

I think there's a difference between talking about a reconciliation, what went wrong and what they could do to fix it, and a question pulled out of thin air "can I be your girlfriend again". 

I would love to stay and chat, but I have an interview for a second job tomorrow and need to rest up.  I think most of us want the same thing, but envision different scenarios for how it might come about.  In the end, the writers will tell the story they want to tell and we will accept it or stop watching.  Right now I'm still watching.

• Like 8

I think there's a difference between talking about a reconciliation, what went wrong and what they could do to fix it, and a question pulled out of thin air "can I be your girlfriend again". 

I put the way they did that as wanting to getting the group back together.  They could only do that if they were either back together or had decided to be just friends.  And they went the just friends route because they haven't finished with the break up yet.  They had to do something to get there though and having Amy ask if she could be his girlfriend again was the easy and quick way to achieve it.

• Like 5

I would love to stay and chat, but I have an interview for a second job tomorrow and need to rest up.  I think most of us want the same thing, but envision different scenarios for how it might come about.  In the end, the writers will tell the story they want to tell and we will accept it or stop watching.  Right now I'm still watching.

agreed! Good luck tomorrow!

• Like 1

I know, right?

Wouldn't it have been adorable (and very Shamy) to see them following a well planned schedule of kissing, hugging and, well, you know, every little step to finally get there together someday?

I did this in one of my fan fiction stories!

The relationship journey has them following a plan not just for actual coitus but the build up to it

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 2

I put the way they did that as wanting to getting the group back together.  They could only do that if they were either back together or had decided to be just friends.  And they went the just friends route because they haven't finished with the break up yet.  They had to do something to get there though and having Amy ask if she could be his girlfriend again was the easy and quick way to achieve it.

Exactly. I thought from the beginning that this was the most logical reason for that story line, to get the group together again, but still keep the break up going on. Clearly they haven't milked it enough, but there's just too many scenarios of where they'll be going with this that it's impossible to predict what happens next. What we may think is a logical way to continue from here, is more likely not what the writers think. There's been a lot of great ideas and speculations about the story line, but I still try to keep my expectations extremely low for the time being. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise next week, maybe we'll get more crap, who knows. I'm still overall positive about this, it's only a matter of time when the writers will be done with this break up. 

• Like 7

I completely agree with that! For me at some point we'll see that long overdue conversation, but not for now...The writers just needed to bring back a sort of "normality" for the gang, the usual dinners and the group activities. For example if they are planning a Star Wars episode when the movie premieres it makes sense for it to be a group episode, so this awkward situation had to finish. I'm sure that the writers are not done in exploring the aftermath of this break up and that this "friend zone" will be for them a way to tell this story with less angst. When the conversation comes, I'm also sure that Sheldon will apologize for his behavior during the first days (somebody before noticed he hasn't ever done it). The point is that, for me, the writers are delaying as much as they can any true insight in the reasons of the break up and, above all, are avoiding that Amy and Sheldon talk in a serious way about it. Amy in her phone call just says that she wants to be his girlfriend again, no explanation why she changes her mind, no address at all to her feelings. The point that any word each of them says to the other about their feelings and their regrets  will lead to a conversation about it, and the writers just don't want it yet.

• Like 5

I agree...i think they could've achieved it in even an easier way without Amy going the "GF" route but instead just saying "I had a great time and missed it, let's do it again sometime"....the friendship is implied without having to end the scene with a broken hearted Amy.....but then, where's the fun in that right?

• Like 3

I agree...i think they could've achieved it in even an easier way without Amy going the "GF" route but instead just saying "I had a great time and missed it, let's do it again sometime"....the friendship is implied without having to end the scene with a broken hearted Amy.....but then, where's the fun in that right?

I agree that would have been an easier way but I suspect they had her actually ask the question because if she hadn't a lot of people would now be speculating how much more rejection could he take.  By having her ask that question and having him doing the rejection, the tables have turned while at the same time it's shown that Sheldon has grown

• Like 4

I agree that would have been an easier way but I suspect they had her actually ask the question because if she hadn't a lot of people would now be speculating how much more rejection could he take.  By having her ask that question and having him doing the rejection, the tables have turned while at the same time it's shown that Sheldon has grown

I agree once again. I think it was important for the writers to show that Amy wants to be his girlfriend after all. Before that we didn't really know where Amy was with her feelings, since they have showed this break up mostly from Sheldon's POV. She explored the whole dating thing, but realized she really wants to be with Sheldon. She clearly still loves him. And yes, having Sheldon turn her down changes the situation. I think what they've created here is quite interesting.. 

• Like 8

I agree once again. I think it was important for the writers to show that Amy wants to be his girlfriend after all. Before that we didn't really know where Amy was with her feelings, since they have showed this break up mostly from Sheldon's POV. She explored the whole dating thing, but realized she really wants to be with Sheldon. She clearly still loves him. And yes, having Sheldon turn her down changes the situation. I think what they've created here is quite interesting.. 

This is like the only thing I love about the storyline so far, that Amy wants to be with Sheldon even though all her previous doubts and concerns still exist. She loves him too much to care about those things anymore. I cry every time thinking about this. 

But again the story can go anywhere from now on. The writers may ruin this for me in the next TR lol. Maybe she'll change her mind and date again. Maybe Sheldon will date too. Who knows...

• Like 3

This is like the only thing I love about the storyline so far, that Amy wants to be with Sheldon even though all her previous doubts and concerns still exist. She loves him too much to care about those things anymore. I cry every time thinking about this. 

But again the story can go anywhere from now on. The writers may ruin this for me in the next TR lol. Maybe she'll change her mind and date again. Maybe Sheldon will date too. Who knows...

All bets are off. She could change her mind again and date.  She could spiral into a deep depression.  She could decide to try and win him back or maybe she'll just accept it.  He could change his mind about being just friends.  He could start to regret his decision but not do anything about it.  He could decide it was the best decision he's ever made. Makes me dizzy thinking of all the ways this could go.

• Like 7

I highly doubt that, but yes, that would surely ruin this for me too. Them having relationships with other people (not to even think about them having sex with other people) would definitely be the death of me. Again, I find that very unlikely to happen, but just thinking about the worst case scenario. I guess we'll just have to hope for the best, expect the worst and accept what ever comes. 

• Like 4

I highly doubt that, but yes, that would surely ruin this for me too. Them having relationships with other people (not to even think about them having sex with other people) would definitely be the death of me. Again, I find that very unlikely to happen, but just thinking about the worst case scenario. I guess we'll just have to hope for the best, expect the worst and accept what ever comes. 

I have complained about the balance of the story (not showing Amy's side), but one thing they have got right is leaving everyone on tenterhooks over where this could go.  They are just about managing to put enough doubt in there to keep people guessing, which is tough to do when everyone knows that it is inevitable that they will get back together sooner or later.

• Like 8

On 4.11.2015 at 11:35 AM, A Shamy gal said:

I have complained about the balance of the story (not showing Amy's side), but one thing they have got right is leaving everyone on tenterhooks over where this could go.  They are just about managing to put enough doubt in there to keep people guessing, which is tough to do when everyone knows that it is inevitable that they will get back together sooner or later.

Oh yes.. And still they put out peaces of hope here and there, just enough to make us go almost insane while speculating and waiting what happens next. I mean just think about this thread for example, it's over 400 pages and we're not even half way trough the season. Very well done writers.

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 3

Indeed! When you have a storyline with a forgone conclusion you have to make it worthwhile for the audience by keeping the suspense in some way. The question is not about the end result but how do they get there? And they've kept us on our toes so far - just look at this thread with 400+ pages full of speculation and analysis and whatnot!

I quite like the point they've reached now in the story. It's a bit of an uneasy place to be in with all the possible routes they could go down but I think it also opens up a lot of possibilities to end this plot in a very satisfying way for the characters and us as the audience. I hope they won't go down the dating route again if only because it would feel quite repetitive at this point. What I do see however are a lot of chances for both Sheldon and/or Amy to open up a dialogue.

If the dating others was to show that they weren't settling and there are options out there, than I think they're done with the dating.  Especially on the part of Amy.  Whilst Sheldon is clearly a one woman man and is only interested in Amy.  If the dating others had another purpose, then they could still date others.  I think it depends on how this friends phase goes really. 

• Like 3

I quite like the point they've reached now in the story. It's a bit of an uneasy place to be in with all the possible routes they could go down but I think it also opens up a lot of possibilities to end this plot in a very satisfying way for the characters and us as the audience. I hope they won't go down the dating route again if only because it would feel quite repetitive at this point. What I do see however are a lot of chances for both Sheldon and/or Amy to open up a dialogue.

I'm also quite satisfied now (which I never thought I'd say at this point), I can see a lot of positive outcomes to this -but yet again I can't be too optimistic. This season the writers have done a lot of what I thought were never possible, but they still managed to do it without ruining this for good IMO. I guess that's why I still trust them, even though I might have not liked all the stuff they've done so far.

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic