The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Every time I think about rewatch this episode I end up declining. Because I know it's so sad. Just like the season 8 finale: I just watched one time, and never again. I don't wanna watch these episodes again, truly.

I honestly think they are both truly afraid of what the other has to say.  Amy is deep down afraid of rejection and hearing that her boyfriend doesn't desire her as a woman would have shattered her.  Sheldon having to hear he failed her and not the perfect Homo Novus he proclaimed would have killed him.  Yes, the answers would have been answered if each had opened Schrodinger's box, but fear kept them from doing it.  Both have deep seated fears that are keeping that box closed.  It might have to be something drastic to force one of them to open that box.

A thought I had is what if Amy found ways to avoid group dinner and Sheldon found it it was because of him that she was spending more time with her mother (d/t no where else to go.).  He goes there and gets to witness Mrs. Fowler with Amy in the flesh.  Maybe seeing that for the first time would open his eyes to the fact that Amy had her fears, too.  Stripped down, maybe both open the cat box together and come out of it in a better place.

They're both thinking that the other moved on, when we know that neither of them did it. When they find out, the doors will open. And I do think the group dinners will happen again now that they're friends again. 

But I'm still sad as hell about it. 

An friend advice: do not listen to "The Scientist". This will only make things worse.

enhanced-6845-1430314616-2.jpg

• Like 4

The bold part is an excellent point.    I don't know exactly when the (6) months time jump occurred, but I am assuming the majority of Shamy's time apart has been since Sheldon witnessed the kiss, making it plausible that they haven't seen or spoken much, if at all, for quite some time.  The Sheldon that was continuously reminding her of his existence  has likely been avoiding her or simply left her alone to mull over his defeat.

Nonetheless, time and space does allow for healing.   In their time apart, he's apparently failed at his attempts to date, by his own subliminal sabotage because he really doesn't want to succeed at finding someone to replace Amy. 

Nonetheless, he is still alone and desperately looking for companionship to enjoy the activities he loves so much with.   After being turned down by all his friends, it's reasonable that Amy would be the first person he thinks of as someone who would enjoy going to the aquarium because this is something he used to do with her and knows she likes.   So, it doesn't surprise me that in an attempt to keep the tickets from going to waste, he reached out to Amy .   What does surprise me is that he offered them to her and whoever she chose to take with her, thinking she had a man in her life.   He never once assumed that she was alone or that she would choose to go with him.   When she suggested they go together, he didn't jump, but asked how she would feel, if it would be awkward for her.

Apparently, Sheldon has had enough time to get over being mad and instead appreciates what he had, why he lost it, and why someone else is benefiting by having her.  

• During the Skype call:  He offered her something that he knows she would enjoy, assumes she's found someone else to do fun things with, offered a ticket for that person as well, and then asked her about her feelings in going with him instead of someone else. 
  • In the car:  his list of innocent questions again indicates that they have been out of touch, but Amy saw through his unselfish attempts not to pry into her personal life.   Sheldon waited for permission to ask the things he really wanted to know.   Then he compliments her by saying she deserves to have men lining up for her, an indication the he is no longer holding a grudge against her dating.   When she asks him if he is fine, he replies with one or two words of reassurance that he is rather than barraging her with words of how dare you have put me through this, etc.   What a contrast from the person who was intent on hurting Amy back for breaking up with him!
  • The aquarium:  again he focuses on having fun with her rather than rehashing all the pain and hurt he's feeling.   When Amy says "I've missed this," the old Sheldon would have used the remark as an opportunity to rub in her face all the reasons she could have avoided having to miss it, but instead blows it off with a humorous reply.   I don't believe Sheldon is as naïve about things as he lets on.    He knew what she meant, and I believe he likely diverted on purpose so as not to put her on the spot.

So, I think in the end, Sheldon has started to realize things from Amy's POV.   He acknowledged this in the TAG of the Spock episode by admitting that's he's done things wrong all his life trying to emulate a fictional character, and now he's suffering the emotional consequences that's tried so hard to avoid.  He's failed.   He's started looking at things from the human side, and I think he's come to some pretty conclusive realizations that Amy was right to leave him based on his being devoid of emotion and his inability to show her just how much she meant to him.

Sheldon would have never come to these realizations had Amy not broken up with him, and I think he knows it now as well.    He's accepted the consequences of his lack of boyfriend support in his relationship with Amy, and rather than continuing to put blame and punish her, he's taking responsibility by trying to alter his own behavior.   So, even though he rejects Amy asking to be his girlfriend again, I don't think his intention was to retaliate or hurt her.   He telling her that he knows that he was not good for her, and he doesn't want to go through the pain of losing her gain because he's not sure he can meet the criteria to be the man she needs.   He's telling her that she deserves to be happy with someone who can.

So, while it seems like last night's episode is a nail in the Shamy coffin, based on what we know from TRs of the next two episodes,  I think a Shamy resurrection is just around the corner.   Amy may have broken up with him because of what he was.   Now she wants him back, not only because of he was, but because of what he is becoming.  

Sheldon just needs time to believe in himself.  He's keeping Amy close to the vest as a friend perhaps because he wants to prove that he can become what she needs, while at the same time giving her the freedom of choice to decide is she is willing to wait for him to come around or not.

I think the majority of the time jump was before this. The line that S & L had been working on their paper for a year was picked up on in a previous ep. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have also wondered if Amy knows more than she is letting on, that maybe Penny has told her things, and perhaps this is one of the reasons she is quick to want to be his GF again.   I still have a hard time believing Penny has not blabbed something or that nothing has gotten back to Amy.  

• Like 5

The bold part is an excellent point.    I don't know exactly when the (6) months time jump occurred, but I am assuming the majority of Shamy's time apart has been since Sheldon witnessed the kiss, making it plausible that they haven't seen or spoken much, if at all, for quite some time.  The Sheldon that was continuously reminding her of his existence  has likely been avoiding her or simply left her alone to mull over his defeat.

Nonetheless, time and space does allow for healing.   In their time apart, he's apparently failed at his attempts to date, by his own subliminal sabotage because he really doesn't want to succeed at finding someone to replace Amy. 

Nonetheless, he is still alone and desperately looking for companionship to enjoy the activities he loves so much with.   After being turned down by all his friends, it's reasonable that Amy would be the first person he thinks of as someone who would enjoy going to the aquarium because this is something he used to do with her and knows she likes.   So, it doesn't surprise me that in an attempt to keep the tickets from going to waste, he reached out to Amy .   What does surprise me is that he offered them to her and whoever she chose to take with her, thinking she had a man in her life.   He never once assumed that she was alone or that she would choose to go with him.   When she suggested they go together, he didn't jump, but asked how she would feel, if it would be awkward for her.

Apparently, Sheldon has had enough time to get over being mad and instead appreciates what he had, why he lost it, and why someone else is benefiting by having her.  

• During the Skype call:  He offered her something that he knows she would enjoy, assumes she's found someone else to do fun things with, offered a ticket for that person as well, and then asked her about her feelings in going with him instead of someone else. 
  • In the car:  his list of innocent questions again indicates that they have been out of touch, but Amy saw through his unselfish attempts not to pry into her personal life.   Sheldon waited for permission to ask the things he really wanted to know.   Then he compliments her by saying she deserves to have men lining up for her, an indication the he is no longer holding a grudge against her dating.   When she asks him if he is fine, he replies with one or two words of reassurance that he is rather than barraging her with words of how dare you have put me through this, etc.   What a contrast from the person who was intent on hurting Amy back for breaking up with him!
  • The aquarium:  again he focuses on having fun with her rather than rehashing all the pain and hurt he's feeling.   When Amy says "I've missed this," the old Sheldon would have used the remark as an opportunity to rub in her face all the reasons she could have avoided having to miss it, but instead blows it off with a humorous reply.   I don't believe Sheldon is as naïve about things as he lets on.    He knew what she meant, and I believe he likely diverted on purpose so as not to put her on the spot.

So, I think in the end, Sheldon has started to realize things from Amy's POV.   He acknowledged this in the TAG of the Spock episode by admitting that's he's done things wrong all his life trying to emulate a fictional character, and now he's suffering the emotional consequences that's tried so hard to avoid.  He's failed.   He's started looking at things from the human side, and I think he's come to some pretty conclusive realizations that Amy was right to leave him based on his being devoid of emotion and his inability to show her just how much she meant to him.

Sheldon would have never come to these realizations had Amy not broken up with him, and I think he knows it now as well.    He's accepted the consequences of his lack of boyfriend support in his relationship with Amy, and rather than continuing to put blame and punish her, he's taking responsibility by trying to alter his own behavior.   So, even though he rejects Amy asking to be his girlfriend again, I don't think his intention was to retaliate or hurt her.   He telling her that he knows that he was not good for her, and he doesn't want to go through the pain of losing her gain because he's not sure he can meet the criteria to be the man she needs.   He's telling her that she deserves to be happy with someone who can.

So, while it seems like last night's episode is a nail in the Shamy coffin, based on what we know from TRs of the next two episodes,  I think a Shamy resurrection is just around the corner.   Amy may have broken up with him because of what he was.   Now she wants him back, not only because of he was, but because of what he is becoming.  

Sheldon just needs time to believe in himself.  He's keeping Amy close to the vest as a friend perhaps because he wants to prove that he can become what she needs, while at the same time giving her the freedom of choice to decide is she is willing to wait for him to come around or not.

Excellent! I keep admiring how you always put out something so clear and well written. This was a spot on. Always a pleasure reading these!

• Like 4

I still have a hard time believing Penny has not blabbed something or that nothing has gotten back to Amy.  

She seemed so shocked when she found out about the ring. It's not that I necessary want her to find out about the ring from Penny, just keeps puzzling me how she manages to keep it as a secret. Especially if at some point Amy will talk about Sheldon's commitment issues with her, I don't see how Penny could keep her mouth shut and not even give her a little hint. 

As much as I don't want it,  I feel the documentary will play some sort of role in the reconciliation. They made it so clear that it recorded everything, including Sheldon's outburst, and that they are going to use it in the final version of documentary. So now there's a recorded evidence about the ring, Sheldon's true feelings and his intentions. I don't see the point it all being recorded if Amy will never see it. 

• Like 6

Excellent! I keep admiring how you always put out something so clear and well written. This was a spot on. Always a pleasure reading these!

agree ! :) 

She seemed so shocked when she found out about the ring. It's not that I necessary want her to find out about the ring from Penny, just keeps puzzling me how she manages to keep it as a secret. Especially if at some point Amy will talk about Sheldon's commitment issues with her, I don't see how Penny could keep her mouth shut and not even give her a little hint. 

As much as I don't want it,  I feel the documentary will play some sort of role in the reconciliation. They made it so clear that it recorded everything, including Sheldon's outburst, and that they are going to use it in the final version of documentary. So now there's a recorded evidence about the ring, Sheldon's true feelings and his intentions. I don't see the point it all being recorded if Amy will never see it. 

Yes to this too ! I keep saying Amy is bound to chat with Penny about what's happened and surely Penny will let slip about Sheldons true feelings !!! 

• Like 5

I'm just fed up with the sad stuff and I hope next week will bring us good happy things

As do we all.. 

Awwwwww, Amy looks so cute in her 908 clothes.

As to the question of "Why don't they just talk to each other????"

I think the whole point of their miscommunication is to show how much out of sync they are right now (I'll drag my pendulum analogy out of the depths of this thread if I have to! lol) and while yes, this is all plot tinkering on the writer's part (that's their job after all!), I also think they provide us with enough scenarios and context that make this all understandable (to me anyway).

I mean, I get why Amy wants to take a break. I get why Sheldon is upset and impatient. I get why Amy breaks up with him in the heat of the moment. I get why Sheldon is using all his usual coping tactics. I also get why Amy isn't buying any of that and becomes even more upset with his nonsense. I get why Sheldon asks her to be his new room mate and I get why Amy turns him down. I get why Sheldon subsequently tries to shut down these pesky emotions and tries to move on. I get why Amy is hurt when she finds out and as a result tries to move on as well. In return I get why Sheldon is trying to move on in a more serious attempt after having an emotional outburst and seeing her and her date. It's a ballet of action and reaction.

And above all else I get why -up to this point anyway- Sheldon hasn't been able to open up about his true feelings on the matter and likewise why Amy hasn't been eager to open up a dialogue.

I don't think the latest episode was put slap-bang! into the middle of the break up story just to show us that Sheldon is sad. It makes a brilliant case about why he is unable to deal with this breakup by exposing his inner workings. Thorough his life Sheldon has reacted to any hurt by trying to detach himself from his emotions and the world around him. This may work with bullies he doesn't care for anyway and whatever physical harm he endured would heal in good time. But a heartbreak? He's completely out of his depths here and nothing works. Yes, you may point out the obvious that if he would just open up to Amy everything will sort itself out - but this is exactly the one thing he can't do because that would leave him even more vulnerable and subject to more hurt. And everything in his being is fighting against that. You can't undo decades of conditioning within a few moments. He'll need a bit of time to regain the security and trust - but I have no doubt that he will come around all in good time.

As for Amy, the key to her behavior is that she simply doesn't know any of this. I mean, sure, she knows he's upset and sad, but she also got to see a really ugly side of him. They're apparently still in contact as she's taking his calls, so she's not ignoring him. And if the Spockumentary call is anything to go by Sheldon has mellowed out in his attempt to pretend everything is fine. But at the same time my guess is that she hasn't really seen his good side until that day at the aquarium. And on that day they are back in sync since the first time in forever and I get why she gave into the temptation to just take him back. When they click they really click, after all!

So for the next episodes my guess would be that there will probably a few more swings of action vs. reaction but eventually they'll catch up with each other and reach that sweet spot when they're in sync again.

Everything spot on!

• Like 2

What a mess the Shamy are in?

The kiss was nothing to be worked up about.  It is somewhat ambiguous re: lips, cheek, side mouth...but it does come across as awkward.  However, afterwards, Amy smiles.  Sheldon witnessed that.  I can see why he appears defeated. 

I still maintain that is not up to their friends to get them back together.  It's up to Sheldon and Amy to reach that place (and for me it has to be a COMPROMISE).  It has to maintain some of Sheldon's wants/needs as well as Amy's.  It has to work for both of them...whatever that looks like.

As for Penny:  Penny is in a unique position here. She has alliances with both Sheldon and Amy.  Like it or not, her friendship was with Sheldon first and now she is married to Sheldon's bestie (Shelnard is a real thing in TBBT land).  She has now witnessed first hand Sheldon dealing with the break up.  It's quite possible (and this is a guess) her and Leonard at some point in off-screen land know things didn't go well with the his proposal.  She's kind of damned if she does/damend if she don't.  Do you piss off your husband and good friend and tell Amy?  Do you decide to clue Amy in about the ring?  Maybe she is like me and decides no matter how much you know you have to let them work it out.  So you just don't say anything.

And FWIW thus far Amy hasn't really said to the girls that she is having second thoughts or is confused...what they see is her ready to move on.  So again Penny is damned if she does or damned is she doesn't.  If she is anything like me (not saying she is or isn't) but maybe she is conflicted (after all she know Sheldon's side) but as far as she can tell Amy wants to move on and she thinks it's best to let her friend figure out what she wants.  Penny and the girls have little reason to think that Amy is conflicted (hell, I as a viewer don't have much to go on as far Amy's side) so they support Amy dating.  I don't think they are wrong. 

When Shamy figures it out (all though right now...I am in support of some friend zone time), I personally don't want the ring, the documentary, or their friends to be part of it. For me, it would be best that all of that is secondary meaning they are back together when that is revealed. 

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 1

April, brilliant, just brilliant!

The first line Sheldon says in Vulcan is "As the vulcans say, 'Kup-fun-tor ha'kiv na'ish du stau?.'" This translates into "Can you return life to what you kill?" 

To me it sounds like he feels responsible in some way to the break-up.

Wow, that's a beautiful line.. 

We can't be dealing with all this sadness so here's a happy Shamy text session. I couldn't wait till tomorrow :biggrin: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ac1f718ca3a4f79cc2fd955image.thumb.jpeg.555d09614ab5819da95ed6c

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 8

Instagram pics, have to come from official sources.  

Rachel, you know better, we've gone through this before and you even mentioned it wasn't from an official source, and you posted it anyway. 

Instagram pics, have to come from official sources.  

Rachel, you know better, we've gone through this before and you even mentioned it wasn't from an official source, and you posted it anyway. 

No offense, but come on, what's wrong in posting pictures from unnoficial sources? It isn't piracy!

• Like 1

No offense, but come on, what's wrong in posting pictures from unnoficial sources? It isn't piracy!

It is a copyright violation, which we take very seriously here.  If you haven't read our rules, you can find them here.