The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Is it possible to be in love with a post? I want to marry ShamyShippers post I love it that much. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Okay, so I lied, and I did read a few comments. 

I'm not sure if that first part was directed at me or not, but just in case it was, I want to point out that I did exactly the opposite of telling anyone how to feel.  This is what I stated:  "I know it's hard right now, and you're all perfectly capable of making your own decisions about how to feel and whether to continue to watch the show"  I simply suggested we maybe try to give it a chance since we don't know exactly where it's all going yet.

Also, I'm really confused about this two "cheaters" thing.  Amy has NEVER cheated on Sheldon.

I literally never said it was about you specifically. But seeing people who freaked out and threatened to quit the show over The Intimacy Acceleration essentially telling us to calm the fuck down is ironic as hell. What I'm gathering from it all is that it's fine to want to quit over literally ONE episode, but wanting to quit over years of frustration isn't. 

Also never talked about Amy being a cheater, what the hell? You said you want the guy to sit Sheldon down and set him straight. Given how both Leonard and Howard cheated on their girlfriends, and given how Raj is so scared of his he can't even break up with her, you can see how that advice is making me really uncomfortable. People love to claim Sheldon is a bad boyfriend, but out of the four guys, he's the only one who has never lied about his feelings, and I think people (general people, not you in particular) (and Amy, for that matter) would do well to remember that.

• Like 2

I literally never said it was about you specifically. But seeing people who freaked out and threatened to quit the show over The Intimacy Acceleration essentially telling us to calm the fuck down is ironic as hell. What I'm gathering from it all is that it's fine to want to quit over literally ONE episode, but wanting to quit over years of frustration isn't. 

Also never talked about Amy being a cheater, what the hell? You said you want the guy to sit Sheldon down and set him straight. Given how both Leonard and Howard cheated on their girlfriends, and given how Raj is so scared of his he can't even break up with her, you can see how that advice is making me really uncomfortable. People love to claim Sheldon is a bad boyfriend, but out of the four guys, he's the only one who has never lied about his feelings, and I think people (general people, not you in particular) (and Amy, for that matter) would do well to remember that.

That's why I asked if it WAS directed at me, because I wasn't sure, and I just wanted to clear up what I meant if it was.

Okay, I guess I misread your comment about cheaters.  Because Penny eluded to Amy thinking he was a bad boyfriend, I thought you were referring to her.  Sometimes it's hard to get the context in something typed up online.

This is what I actually said about the guys: "I also think the boys will be talking and the girls will be talking, and maybe the guys can help Sheldon start to see where he went wrong."

Not necessarily that I HOPE it will, but I think it might.  I can see how from your perspective (which was a good point) they may not be the best people to give Sheldon relationship advice.  But what I was eluding to is that talking things through with friends often sheds a light on what you didn't necessarily see for yourself.  Even just Leonard talking about what he did to screw things up with Penny (though an entirely different situation to Shamy's) could get Sheldon thinking, etc.  I personally don't think Sheldon is a terrible boyfriend, but I do think that he still has some growing to do (as does Amy).

• Like 7

MMmm... I think I'm in the middle between the two main opinions on this thread.

Positive side :The break up is a chance to solve the last few things that bothers me in this relationship including :

- Amy always being the pusher.

- Sheldon being rude with Amy and taking her for granted.

- A chance to see Sheldon doing everything possible to get her back and showing us all, definitely, that he can't live without her and loves her deeply because there is no other one. Well, just a chance to see how much they are made for each other.

- A chance to see Amy alone, as a whole character, without Sheldon. To explore her character more deeply , her backstory, thoughts, weakness and strength aswell. To be simple : MORE Amy on the show.

Negative side :

- WTF ??? Why a break up ? and most of all why NOW ? This break up isn't as logical as I would like it to be...

- Why do they have to make the Shamy go to the normal romance pattern ? Why ? Were they not unique ? Is growth means to be like other people ? Why can't they solve their problems in their unique, weird, unusal Shamy way ? I don't know what the writers have in mind but I really don't like the message here... 

- If they begin to date other people, It's simple, I'm done. No matter for what purpose. I'll loose this OTP and burn it with fire. That's it. Period.

This plot is very dangerous, I just pray now for things to balance in the positive side... We'll see.

• Like 7

Ok, I have a question though. Do you think the moral of the Shamy story, since the beginning, is exclusively for Sheldon to "grow"? Is there absolutely nothing Sheldon is right about and that Amy has to learn from Sheldon? Does Amy have any path at all in this story other than waiting for Sheldon to "grow/step up/learn his lesson"? 

I don't think the show has ever really dwelled on Amy's "path" in this. I was hoping this would be it but now, given that they made it to be more about Sheldon being a bit of a jackass again, I'm not sure. It's something I've always wanted explored and that I'm not sure I'll ever get to see, but I think it would be refreshing to see occasionally a message in their story that certain aspects of conventional romance that Amy craves are not really all that cracked up to be and that there isn't one type of relationship that everyone should strive to align themselves to.

Wait when did Howard cheat on Bernadette? I don't recall that. 

Wait when did Howard cheat on Bernadette? I don't recall that. 

He had cybersex with a Glacinda the Troll I think she was called.

MMmm... I think I'm in the middle between the two main opinions on this thread.

Positive side :The break up is a chance to solve the last few things that bothers me in this relationship including :

- Amy always being the pusher.

- Sheldon being rude with Amy and taking her for granted.

- A chance to see Sheldon doing everything possible to get her back and showing us all, definitely, that he can't live without her and loves her deeply because there is no other one. Well, just a chance to see how much they are made for each other.

- A chance to see Amy alone, as a whole character, without Sheldon. To explore her character more deeply , her backstory, thoughts, weakness and strength aswell. To be simple : MORE Amy on the show.

Negative side :

- WTF ??? Why a break up ? and most of all why NOW ? This break up isn't as logical as I would like it to be...

- Why do they have to make the Shamy go to the normal romance pattern ? Why ? Were they not unique ? Is growth means to be like other people ? Why can't they solve their problems in their unique, weird, unusal Shamy way ? I don't know what the writers have in mind but I really don't like the message here... 

- If they begin to date other people, It's simple, I'm done. No matter for what purpose. I'll loose this OTP and burn it with fire. That's it. Period.

This plot is very dangerous, I just pray now for things to balance in the positive side... We'll see.

Also add on the negative side why they always have to get "mean" in the dialog in order to try and bring humor in to the drama they created?   

I am with you about the positive vs. negative, but right now it seems the negative far outweighs the positive because I just don't trust them to handle the positive side well.  I do think they will resort to boring breakup 101  get the person jealous strategy and that is what sickens me the most.   I am with you...dating any other people for either one of them is simply a couple killer.  It ruined Lenny (who I used to love) and I have never been able to enjoy them the same since.   

I am most disappointed in the writers inability to be creative and why they had to use a breakup to accomplish what they needed with what was wrong in the relationship (the stuff on the positive side that could come out of this).   They clearly took the lazy route.

• Like 2

The new script cover looks like it has "-illation" as the last few syllables in the third/last word more than likely. The first being the. 

Oscillation? Lol I can't English or words today.

Oh, I agree.  I don't think that Amy actually thinks he's a bad boyfriend and I came away thinking that Penny used her own words instead of Amy's.   What I mean is Amy needs to stop expecting novel inspired romance out of him.  He is never gonna be mushy and lovey dive in that way.   However, I don't think she actually wants him to be that way, she just thinks she does because that's what is presented as common or normal to her.  Basically,  she needs to get her head out of the clouds.

Agree with  your post We are going to meet Amy father this season, I look forward to that.  That the person (or her Mother)  Amy  really need to talk too more the Bernadette and Penny right now. 

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

I just hope Melissa Tang's character stays out of Shamy' story...

Pretty sure she will but not 100% sure yet

• Like 3

Okay, I'm going to start out by letting you all know that I have read NO comments here from last night's taping, and I probably won't, because I need to not dwell on negative thoughts at the moment.  I probably will also not be reading the comments to this post I'm making for the same reason.  But after hearing that there's a lot of upset, I wanted to give you a perspective from someone who was at the taping.  I do hope it will help a bit, and maybe start some more positive conversation (because all of us could use a bit of that right now).  Also, I apologize in advance for the novel.

This was the most intense and depressing episode of BBT I have ever seen (for obvious reasons) and it went beyond what I was imagining, particularly with Lenny (who I really felt was left in a worse place than Shamy last night, to be honest).  As for Shamy, it was both better and worse than I was imagining at the same time.  What I loved was that Sheldon went after her right away.  It was clear that this meant something to him.  He wanted her back immediately.  Heck, he even chased her down to the Wolowitz's house.  Those moments were sweet and funny, and they showed that she matters so much to him.  That gave me hope.  Then, yes, after she broke it off completely, he was angry and upset.  This to me, is totally Sheldon.  He's confused and hurting and he's lashing out and trying to figure out how to deal with this.  He's never been in this situation before, remember.  I believe he's going through the stages of grief, the first and foremost being denial.  Then he moved on to anger once he understood that she was calling things off with him.  I'm hoping for some real bargaining and depression next--not because I want to see him hurting, but because it will show that he is NOT giving up on her. 

I've heard that there are people who think that way--that Sheldon will just give up on Amy now and will just never go after her.  I don't think that could be further from the truth.  It hurts right now as fans, and it's easy to get caught up in that hurt and our own emotions and reactions to it immediately and feel that things are hopeless.  But it was clear to me how much this is affecting him.  Amy finally standing up for herself when he puts her down/insults her was something that NEEDED to happen.  That was why she told him she's breaking up with him, and I'm glad she took a stand.  I'm not happy they're broken up; it hurts my heart.  But just think about the reunion they will have later!  Also, right after that when they were consoling her in the kitchen, she said that she hopes she did the right thing.  She's doubting her choice.  She clearly still loves him.  And when Stuart tried to put the moves on her, she looked at him like "WTF!?!?" and made a comment about it being inappropriate.  She's not over Sheldon, and I truly believe he's not over her. 

Let's look at this logically too.  Season 8 was all about Sheldon growing more and them hitting so many milestones.  Why would they do all of that and set it all up that way (even establishing that he loves her and has a RING) just to destroy the ship?  I really think this season's beginning is about him learning some hard lessons that still need to be learned, and this was the way they thought it would be believable for someone like Sheldon.  All that drama could have been a way for them to get us to go through this with him as well and to feel the hurt he's feeling.  He loves her, he wants to spend the rest of his life with her, and then he's hit with this, and it's going to make him have to evaluate some things about himself and his relationship.  He doesn't know how to cope right now (he was never expecting this, and that fact is also a part of him taking her for granted that he needs to wake up to) and will be going through some hard emotions until he comes to the realization that he screwed up.  This is another step in his growth toward being a man, and being the right man to marry her.

I know some people think that it's Amy who is being unfair/unreasonable after all the growth Sheldon has made, and people will argue that she knew what she was getting herself into, etc.  But Amy has also grown as a person since they first got together, and she has needs of her own.  She needs to be with someone who respects her and puts her first, and I don't think that's unreasonable at all.  I want to remind you too to look back at previous seasons.  Most of us hated when Sheldon would make snide comments to Amy and she would just let them roll off her back.  We wanted her to grow a backbone and for Sheldon to be nicer.  Would any of us put up with some of the things Sheldon does in real life?  Or would we put up with feeling like we're not an equal or not held in as high regard as we should be, or if we were insulted frequently?  He's gotten better about those things, but they still happen.  And combined with her need for intimacy that from her perspective is still not returned, I can't blame her for needing to evaluate things.  His insult was just the last straw.  But even still, she's doubting that decision because she loves him. I think with her spelling it out for him that he's selfish and rude, it will get him thinking.  And I think with Penny basically telling him he was a bad boyfriend to Amy, that will get him thinking too.  But he needed a wake up call.  It's a painful one--for all of us--but it did need to happen.  Sheldon has such tunnel vision much of the time, and this will broaden his field of vision so he can be aware of how he's treating her/affecting her in the future. Hopefully they won't drag all of this out overly long, and I can totally see that when they do get back together (and they will!) it's going to be so explosive.

As for the intimacy issue--yes, she knew what she was getting into back then, but that doesn't mean that her need/desire for that should be discarded.  "Oh well, she's with Sheldon, so she'll just have to deal with being celibate her whole life".  I don't agree with that sentiment.  They've grown together so much and they've both evolved, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting that with him.  If she was trying to force him into it, that would be another story, but she has never done that.  I think after five years with someone where that seemed to be going nowhere, any of us would be evaluating our options.  The intimacy and the taking her for granted at times are really their final hurdles, and because of that, I believe that Sheldon will be missing her and he will start realizing how much he really does desire her--in EVERY way.  They had to do this in a way that would truly wake him up to all of this, and while it's harsh, it will be exactly what he needs in the end.

As for the ring information we didn't get, I'm sure this has already been said, but I'll say it myself as well:  I have a feeling we might find out about that next episode since they often do a two-part premiere.  I also think the boys will be talking and the girls will be talking, and maybe the guys can help Sheldon start to see where he went wrong.  I really believe he's soon going to hit those next steps in the grieving process and try to bargain to get her back and also get depressed without her.  This isn't over. 

The writers know what gold they have with Shamy.  CBS promotes them like nothing else.  Things seem dire now, but they'll get better.  Even after all the drama from last night, we need to remember that this is a comedy show.  I seriously doubt the writers will leave it this dramatic/depressing for long, and with their two main couples in such peril.  I guess that would be my main worry at this point--that they'll keep things too dramatic for a sitcom for too long and the show will lose some of its magic.  For now though, I'm going to have faith in the writers because they have a plan, and I really can't see things staying in this dramatic state for long.  Things have to get better from here.

This show has been so much about Sheldon's journey and growth.  If it would have been HIM breaking up with HER, I think the situation would be more dire, because then he would have just decided he was done and that would be that.  With it being Amy doing the breaking up (and that decision clearly affecting them both) it will give him the opportunity to grow from the experience and make things right.  He wouldn't be upset and angry if it meant nothing to him.  If he was going to give up, he'd be shrugging like "Well, I guess that's over then." 

The writers even said in that TV Guide article that Amy will make her way back to him and that Sheldon will learn how to make this work. I know it's hard right now, and you're all perfectly capable of making your own decisions about how to feel and whether to continue to watch the show, but I would suggest that you at least wait to see what will play out in the next few episodes.  They'll have filmed the first few before the premiere even airs.  Hopefully we'll know more by then and can go into the season a bit calmer, because we'll know that things are moving in the right direction.

Okay, I'll be honest.  I cried like a baby when I read my first emails from the forum this morning.  My morning has been going back and forth about this, but after reading this post, I think I'm going to keep an open mind until I see the next few weeks.  It looks like Sheldon, confused and scared, pushed Amy to the breaking point.

I can't see the producer being complete noobs and making Shamy a "normal couple" with her dating others before "seeing the light" while Sheldon pines away all sad like because that would ruin what makes the couple so good.

Both have legit grievances with the other.  Sheldon with Amy seeming to never be satisfied with his progress and trying to mold him into a romance man like her novels, and Amy frustrated that he doesn't seem to make her a priority and taking her for granted.

What I would love to see is first her having a convo with Bernadette.  Bernadette will listen and advise before she tells her what she has observed with Sheldon (Christmas being the big one) and that perhaps she has unrealistic expectations in what a relationship is supposed to be that she doesn't see what is in front of her.  Second, have a conversation with Leonard first to defend her bestie before Leonard goes on about how while he gets frustrated with Penny, he has learned to appreciate her for who she is (like how she is not conventionally romantic, she has her way to express that i.e. keepsake box of her memories with him) and that they had to learn to talk to one another about their expectations.

As for Sheldon, first he can commiserate with Penny to a point (she will stick up for her bestie after all) before he begins to see how maybe he did take Amy for granted and maybe needs to be more expressive of his feelings for her.  Then, Stuart gets into the mix when he tells Sheldon out right that he wished he had someone like Amy and that if he did, he would make an effort to be a better boyfriend for her by being honest and communicating to her while not taking her for granted and being nicer to her.

With these POVs, I think Shamy can come together and have a real, honest talk where they lay out their needs to each other and in the end, can come up with a compromise that works for both of them (Amy appreciating where Sheldon's coming from and how much he has grown and being more realistic in a relationship and Sheldon seeing that Amy needs to be appreciated more and sometimes he needs to put her first).

Another thought is maybe Amy's mom dies or something and Sheldon goes to her offering his help in anything she needs.  This could also open the doors for an honest conversation.

If the producers aren't idiots, I think this break could be good for them.  For now, I will watch the next couple of taping reports and see where the cards will fall before I throw my hands up in the air and call an end.

Edited by mphs95
  • Like 3

Oh, I agree.  I don't think that Amy actually thinks he's a bad boyfriend and I came away thinking that Penny used her own words instead of Amy's.   What I mean is Amy needs to stop expecting novel inspired romance out of him.  He is never gonna be mushy and lovey dive in that way.   However, I don't think she actually wants him to be that way, she just thinks she does because that's what is presented as common or normal to her.  Basically,  she needs to get her head out of the clouds.

I'm not sure she  does think that she wants novel inspired romance out of him.  She thought the RA was romantic and also thought the same about being made his emergency contact and loved the talking photo frame he got her for Christmas.  None of which I would call novel inspired romance.  As for him being mushy and lovey dovey, was he that way when he told her he loved her for the first time?  I don't think he was. 

• Like 1

Especially with Sheldon already saying she's attractive

Just don't go there writers

Im certain that looks dont affect Sheldon in any way. I mean he's aware that Penny, his sister and Lalita are attractive but he's not attracted to them in any way.

I think that the fact that she's brilliant would make him respect her at least.

But I'm not overly worried about this. I think she'd really intimidate Penny though.

• Like 2

I agree 100% with you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure she  does think that she wants novel inspired romance out of him.  She thought the RA was romantic and also thought the same about being made his emergency contact and loved the talking photo frame he got her for Christmas.  None of which I would call novel inspired romance.  As for him being mushy and lovey dovey, was he that way when he told her he loved her for the first time?  I don't think he was. 

But thats what I mean.  We get the sense from the writers that Amy wants these things and she gets upset when she doesn't get them.  Yet, when she lets Sheldon do things his way, she is blow away by it.  I think she is caught between what society tells her she should want from him and that is what she should fight for and actually loving the weird, quirky ways he shows he loves her.  She needs to shut out what society tells her is right and listen to her heart and why she fell for him in the first place.  All things that others found annoying about him, she found cute as a button.  She doesn't need to anyone as to why she finds him charming and others don't.   And she shouldn't let others or what is considered normal lead her to question what was her natural instinct, which was to fall for him.

• Like 9

I just hope the writers are also aware of that. I still trust them and whether that's what they have in mind or they come up with something unexpected yet still amazing I'll be happy.

However if they do go through the traditional clichéd route, I'll be very upset like the rest of you.

• Like 3