[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

7 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

Normally I wouldn't do this, but it was after reading some posts in this thread, I think, that I started thinking about this, but I ended up posting it in the discussion thread.  Some of you may have seen it over there, but I think it really belongs in this thread.  It's about this question about Amy's POV and whether or not we needed more info from her.

After seeing tonight's episode, I think we actually got what she was thinking and it was enough of an explanation, considering what we've already seen in the dynamic of their relationship.

So, here's what I posted previously:

I kinda hate to say it, but I think that we got pretty much all the Amy information we needed because ultimately it was not a story about what was going on in Amy's head, but what was going on in Sheldon's head and heart.

And someone mentioned last night that if Sheldon and Amy had simply sat down and talked it out, Sheldon would not have made the progress and change that he has now apparently made.  Though they are famously good at talking things through, if they had talked it out, Amy would have berated him, he would have said he was sorry, and they would have gone back to the status quo, with which he was already very comfortable.

I think that though we know that Amy is kind of exhausted by Sheldon and their relationship, having to explain things to him, having to point out things he doesn't understand.

But I think that the break up was more about pushing Sheldon toward the point where he realized exactly how important Amy is to him.

His journey went from a moment of acceptance (just under 11 hours)

to anger and frustration (pushing her over the edge)

to anger with all women ("why can't a woman be more like a man?")

to haughty overconfidence

to trying to get over her by trying to date others

to denying the depth to which her rejection and absence has affected him

to hoping to propose (thinking they would just "put this behind us")

to tentatively going back to being friends

to finally realizing that following his heart is more important than following his head.

So the journey really was about what is going on with him.  The problem Amy was facing was not knowing where on his ladder of priorities she resided.  From her point of view it was apparently physics, The Flash, then her somewhere down there.

Sheldon was so used to just trying to plug her into his already existing jigsaw puzzle of his life, without realizing he needed to rethink his whole puzzle, shifting priorities and how he related to her.  He had made certain concessions--date nights, holding hands at the movies, goodnight kisses, etc.--but he never completely let his heart lead him.

It took him being without her and the realization that he didn't want to be without her, that he was "half a man" without her, to make him decide to open up to her and want to get back together.

I think that it was about Sheldon having to make this journey rather than just yet another discussion where Amy tells him how he should behave with her.  He is deciding on his own how he wants to be with her.

100 % agreed. 

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jenafan said:

Sheldon really did seem to be into the whole dating thing again.   Too enthusiastic for my taste.

I cannot believe Sheldon actually said about Vanessa "I would not coitus her with your genitals."   Is this to imply that he is ready?  If so, Amy may be in for a surprise when they reconcile.

So, we got a little bit more on Amy tonight.   She thought the relationship was a lot more work than it should be, and Sheldon gave her crappy gifts during special occasions.   It seems to me that she just got tired.    I took from this that she wanted Sheldon to do more things of his own initiative rather than her having to put up a fight or negotiation to get even some of what she wanted.  She definitely wanted more of his attention, rather than him spending date night on a paper, and she wanted more thoughtful gifts than DVD's of his speeches.   Everything was always about him.

So, now I can understand why their time out at the aquarium would have caused her to want to rekindle their relationship.    Not only had she missed her time with Sheldon, but she got to see that Sheldon was indeed capable of considering her before himself.

I loved that Dave was so enthusiastic about Sheldon and Leonard, but he came off a little tiny bit creepy to me.   I didn't expect him to be divorced.   It amazes me now that Amy would have considered going out with him again after Sheldon rejected her.   So, I really wonder what she saw in him that she didn't see in any of her other dates or kept her for prowling for someone else.

Although I said I wouldn't, I watched the S9.1 again, and Penny told Sheldon she encouraged Amy to follow her heart and do what makes her happy.   This makes it easier for me to understand Penny's lack of interference.   She is supporting Amy in doing what she herself advised, and it seems Penny does not think Sheldon can make her happy.   Therefore, she is encouraging Amy to date and stretch out of her comfort zone.

About Sheldon too enthusiastic, I thought that too. But I think he was resigned and knew now he can't be with Amy, now that she dates and kisses other man, so he knew she doesn't want him. It is like, as we have pointed before here, he has reached the acceptance stage. And so, he wants to date a woman to fill a gap and focus in work, like he said.

So, he finds the PERFECT woman for him, intelligent, knows klingon, seems kind. But she is not Amy (even if he doesn't say that). I like this end !

About Dave, I must admit he made me laugh. 

About Amy, yes, I agree with the bold part in the quote.

I am a little disappointed by the girls. Even if now Sheldon accepts he has loosen Amy and he wants to try to date someone else, I am very surprise by Penny's behavior. He wanted to marry Amy ! I know, friends can't really interfere, but still.

Fortunately, everything goes well in the future episodes.

Edited by CentralPerk
Conjugation mistakes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

Amy was still in the infatuation stage with Sheldon in S6, where everything he did was cute as a button.  She loved every little thing about him, and any attention she got from him was enough, including his annoying habits.    

Two years later, she's become more vested in the relationship on an emotional and physical level.  Now she's been kissed by him several times.   They've declared their mutual love for each other.   It's no longer just about admiring his brilliance and eccentricities from a distance anymore.    It's no longer just about a deep friendship, but love.   She wants more.  

This is not to say that she doesn't enjoy his quirks, the lectures, or his brilliance anymore.    The problem lies in that these things were blocking out the other things she wanted in the relationship.  Amy wanted attention, gestures, and romantic gifts from Sheldon to prove his love for her.

The infatuation stage is over.  Amy has become familiar with Sheldon, and the feeling of excitement and giddiness has slowly eroded as a result of everything Amy has been through and fought for in the relationship, only to come to the belief that it got her nowhere.   Amy's fascination for his quirks has been buried under all of her pain in thinking he doesn't care or desire her the way she does him.

I think now that the reconciliation is coming and Sheldon seems to be now willing to express himself and fulfill Amy's needs and desires, all of her admiration for his quirks and idiosyncrasies will resurface.

The bold part, you nailed it exactly....some (not all) of his quirks became tiresome, because she wanted more from her BF than ego driven remarks and self absorbed behavior without regard for her feelings. Those quirks became a taunt of sorts. Sheldon could be cold and selfish, because he always has been and the relationship (in his words) has always skewed in his favor....and that wasn't gonna do it for Amy anymore. I do think, still, that she didn't think it through when she broke up and that it was more of a reaction and less than a planned event because of the "erosion" as you eluded to....I'll use her attempt to renew the relationship no questions asked in 9.09 as evidence of this hasty decision....while she thought love wasn't enough before, that the relationship was more work than it needed to be, she was quick to go back to Sheldon in 9.09. Yeah it was a great day at the aquarium, but they've had great days before and one date didn't solve a thing or give Amy an insight into huge leaps of change in Sheldon...

thank goodness for for beach boys tunes! 

• Like 3

I saw just few clips on-line, I'll try to catch up with the episode later this night, but those clips were very funny! Well...I admit, watching them knowing what I know made them excitedly funny, but maybe even not knowing 9.10 is coming I would have laughed out loud! I saw the part in which Sheldon's date showed up and, really, she couldn't be better for him! She likes thing Amy never found interesting (Klingon, everybody? Amy messes up Star Trek and Star Wars and she's proud of it!!), she was willing to worship him and his brilliancy, she was hot...But I agree with all of you, he was happy that somebody showed up, but the moment he opened the door he was ready to close it (gently...how could I imagine that such a southern gentleman could shut the door on her face?!!), he was just expecting the right moment. He was more charming than I thought, but was really determined to let her go. And the "coitus" part (funniest joke ever!!!), partly answers to a question I'm asking myself since I heard of this "dating" stuff about how he imagines his new future "relationship" (that of course he really doesn't want, he just wants the "old" relationship...) He is definitely ready and willing to have a physical relationship too, or at least he recognizes that coitus is a part of a relationship, that's huge for him! Now, whether or not this realization will be put into action soon with Amy, that's another topic, but at least he now has new way to look at a relationship.

I saw also few clips on Amy's date. The guy teaches math, like me and British is the sexiest accent ever!!!  I agree with those of you who said that's the deepest insight we had so far in Amy's POV...Saying that a relationship is "lot of work" is pretty sad, she should be very tired towards the end of it, felt sorry for her. Anyway, not being able to fully express the reasons of her decisions is very telling that she is kind of regretting it (especially after that date, I guess!!!) and the fact that a few hours with a more attentive Sheldon in the next episode make her change her mind so quickly shows that she wanted so little to be happy with him again.

Sorry that I could'n find on line the tag part, that should be fun too. Is it there that she acknowledges that the "kiss" with Dave was just "a peck"? That's I think it's another dig from the writers to let us know that nothing wrong it is happening here...To quote Amy in a previous episode of Season 7 they were "flirting with the lines" with this stuff but, from what I saw,  they did it well! Actually, as I said before, knowing what I know helped a lot!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, camelliayao said:

But remember in season 6, Amy was fine with Sheldon ignoring her and she thought his quirks (like spending an hour optimizing the cheese aisle at whole foods) makes her love him more. Now she's upset with that V-Day present? I think Amy in season 6 would love that present and admire Sheldon's brilliance in the lecture.

I think because her feelings for him have grown in the next seasons, and so, she was more needy and she wanted his attention, and she wanted he shows her his feelings. She didn't know how he really feels/felt, except after the prom episode. That why I didn't understand the episode 8x24, because she would not be insecure after he said he loves her.

Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, phantagrae said:

Normally I wouldn't do this, but it was after reading some posts in this thread, I think, that I started thinking about this, but I ended up posting it in the discussion thread.  Some of you may have seen it over there, but I think it really belongs in this thread.  It's about this question about Amy's POV and whether or not we needed more info from her.

After seeing tonight's episode, I think we actually got what she was thinking and it was enough of an explanation, considering what we've already seen in the dynamic of their relationship.

I kinda hate to say it, but I think that we got pretty much all the Amy information we needed because ultimately it was not a story about what was going on in Amy's head, but what was going on in Sheldon's head and heart.

And someone mentioned last night that if Sheldon and Amy had simply sat down and talked it out, Sheldon would not have made the progress and change that he has now apparently made.  Though they are famously good at talking things through, if they had talked it out, Amy would have berated him, he would have said he was sorry, and they would have gone back to the status quo, with which he was already very comfortable.

I think that though we know that Amy is kind of exhausted by Sheldon and their relationship, having to explain things to him, having to point out things he doesn't understand.

But I think that the break up was more about pushing Sheldon toward the point where he realized exactly how important Amy is to him.

to finally realizing that following his heart is more important than following his head.

So the journey really was about what is going on with him.  The problem Amy was facing was not knowing where on his ladder of priorities she resided.  From her point of view it was apparently physics, The Flash, then her somewhere down there.

Sheldon was so used to just trying to plug her into his already existing jigsaw puzzle of his life, without realizing he needed to rethink his whole puzzle, shifting priorities and how he related to her.  He had made certain concessions--date nights, holding hands at the movies, goodnight kisses, etc.--but he never completely let his heart lead him.

It took him being without her and the realization that he didn't want to be without her, that he was "half a man" without her, to make him decide to open up to her and want to get back together.

I think that it was about Sheldon having to make this journey rather than just yet another discussion where Amy tells him how he should behave with her.  He is deciding on his own how he wants to be with her.

Love this post :) 

• Like 4

Stupid quote function.  Logging out/in didn't fix, so you get this empty box from me!

3 hours ago, camelliayao said:

Also after this episode, I firmly believe they'll have coitus in this season. The writers have been giving signs everywhere showing Sheldon is ready for sex. 

And Sheldon likes Jennifer Lawrance in X-men. Looks like we all know who Amy should dress up for the next Halloween:) 

Not sure either he necessarily likes her, but if she does represent, as someone suggested, his "type," well, I don't think you can pick an actress more like Amy.  Brunette, shapely not stick-like, down-to-earth, not caught up in largest trends or obsessed with fashion, opinionated, and beautiful.

Ok, so maybe he has a type after all.  Although nah, I don't think it would matter a hill of beans who showed up or at what time; anyone except Amy would have been given the heave-ho for some reason.

• Like 1

So the "I wouldn't coitus her with your genitals" was hilarious, and I definitely agree that it shows again that Sheldon is at or near the point of being ready.  He knows that in a relationship coitus would be expected, leading to his statement that he would not be doing THAT with her, even through a surrogate, if you will.

Something else strikes me as interesting about the comment, though.  It is, I'm pretty darn sure, the most vulgar thing we've ever heard Sheldon utter.  It sounds funny to us because the terminology is SO Sheldon-y, but if you put the real words in that other men might use to express the same idea that idea actually sounds shockingly vulgar.

So, what's up with that?

Does it mean nothing because it was just a way to get a laugh and/or show again that Sheldon is frequently thinking about sex?

Does it show more growth of a different kind for Sheldon, as he is more comfortable chatting with the guys, to the point of making a locker-room-talk kind of comment?

Does it show that he is actually fairly frustrated or annoyed by the whole deal, like how he only uses Sheldon-y swear words when he's really upset?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, April said:

Just watched the episode with my usual morning coffee - and I thought it was a riot! I don't even know why I found it so funny but everything was on point. LMAO

Some notes:

- I can't believe so many of you actually buy that Sheldon was seriously into dating. He might have embraced the idea of dating because in theory it's the perfect solution to his problem - but the actual reality of dating? NOPE! He's hyper-focused on solving a problem and he's going about this in the most logical, scientific way: employing Howard and Raj with setting up specific parameters for a social experiment type test that, if successful, should yield the desired result of... a copy of Amy. Like, how much more obvious can it get?

- And of course, when he opens the door and is confronted with the reality of dating someone new he literally closes it again as soon as he can. I do like that he wasn't a complete ass towards her (apart from shutting the door in her face) and even tells her something nice - first signs of a more kind and respectful Sheldon?

- The "Sheldon as a prize" bit had me cackling thinking back at us swooning over the very scientific bath tub pictures from yesterday. JUST PUT A SHIRTLESS PICTURE OF HIM IN YOUR CRAIGSLIST AD! lmao

- Penny, Bernadette and Leonard were so great in every scene. Loved the support as well as the spying. LOL

- Amy's date killed me though. OMG DAVE!! <3 HAHAHAHA You can come back any time, buddy!

- I also loved that we got more from Amy's POV, or rather for me, a confirmation from what I've been saying for months already. Not to be a prick about it but Amy has been saying from the very beginning back when she needed time that the relationship was exhausting and she's essentially repeated that in different words here. I don't know why people had such a hard time grasping this.

- On a completely shallow note, and I have said this before: OMG AMY LOOKS SO PRETTY! I LOVE THAT DRESS!! <3

All in all, this was surprisingly one of the funniest episodes this season, for me anyway. (Admittedly, it probably helps knowing what's to come.)

First: That would totally do the trick! There would a line behind his door..

Second: It is pretty clear to me as well. She told it in the season finale, now she told it again, simple. We might not get the extended version of her feelings and thoughts, but I think it's all there. 

• Like 4

Hate that I can't just quote a bit of this.

I love this post and completely agree with the contents.

I have been of the opinion (and I know many others haven't) that I get Amy's POV without her having to state it. Last night's episode confirmed what had already been implied (that she really needed more focus from her boyfriend).

I think the reconciliation proves that all she wanted was to feel truly desired by Sheldon (at least more than what he had been offering her just before their split).

I am so looking forward to next week's episode. I have really enjoyed this season so far...apart from Tinder episode :-( and am definitely hoping for a Star Wars themed one next week.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, camelliayao said: But remember in season 6, Amy was fine with Sheldon ignoring her and she thought his quirks (like spending an hour optimizing the cheese aisle at whole foods) makes her love him more. Now she's upset with that V-Day present? I think Amy in season 6 would love that present and admire Sheldon's brilliance in the lecture.

I think because her feelings for him have grown in the next seasons, and so, she was more needy and she wanted his attention, and she wanted he shows her his feelings. She didn't know how he really feels/felt, except after the prom episode. That why I didn't understand the episode 8x24, because she would not be insecure after he said he loves her.

She probably thought things would change after the prom and his ILY, but then realised over time it hadn't.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I could not have said this any better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's true, I wasn't happy with the break up. I felt it should have happened last year after he ran off. HOWEVER, I get what the writers were trying to do with Sheldon... and it worked perfectly! (imo) Every episode since the break has shown us how he has matured and knowing what comes next..HOO! He's there. 

As many have said before, he purposefully made the 'hunt' difficult because he KNEW that NO ONE could take Amy's place. I think he was more amazed at the fact that even one person showed up. In this forum, we keep our expectations low and say the opposite of what we want to get what we want. He did the same. By saying that someone will show up, he knew no one would though because no one is qualified to fill Amy's shoes. 

I enjoyed the episode very much. Dave's infatuation with Sheldon was hilarious and that's why he tells him to kiss her in episode 9.10. Genius on the part of the writers! Dave says he wants to meet Sheldon... well, everyone's wishes come true in 9.10!!!!! 

ok, I'm done now. 

* I'm quite puzzled though about Penny. She knows there's a ring. She knows Sheldon was really serious about Amy. Yet, does nothing. Hmmmm... at the rate news travels among them, I would have expected everyone to know about Sheldon's intentions but it seems no one else does. Strange. Not that it bothers me since we see the reconciliation was ALL Sheldon ( and a bit of Dave! :)  )

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, kelliluvtbbt said:

* I'm quite puzzled though about Penny. She knows there's a ring. She knows Sheldon was really serious about Amy. Yet, does nothing. Hmmmm... at the rate news travels among them, I would have expected everyone to know about Sheldon's intentions but it seems no one else does. Strange. Not that it bothers me since we see the reconciliation was ALL Sheldon ( and a bit of Dave! :)  )

The writers have apparently chosen that Penny or anyone else won't meddle in their break-up nor reconciliation. I agree with you that it does come across a bit strange considering Penny's character and her love for gossiping. I didn't like her being so chipper about Amy's date and it felt she was also really happy for Sheldon when he announced his intentions for finding a new girlfriend. To me it seemed like she didn't think they could work things out or that they should talk or anything. I get that she was being supportive, Amy wanted to move on and she wasn't going to stop her. However she was just so enthusiastic about it.. I felt like she maybe thinks/thought Amy deserves better. We don't really know how much the girls have talked about the break up, does Penny know why Amy wanted to end things, but if not, it makes a little more sense I guess. The writers really wanted Sheldon to come to this realization all by himself, which I appreciate greatly. It would've been easy to use the document or Penny to get them back together, but this way we can really witness the change and growth in Sheldon. Now that Shamy is reunited, I'm curious to see if Penny will grill Sheldon about the ring and whether he's going to propose to Amy. 

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 8

Looking ahead to episode 11... I'm uncertain about whether it will be an engagement episode. Usually major developments, like Shamy getting back together, are ignored in the following episode. I know this season has been predominately Shamy-centric episodes, but part of me feels like that was all part of building up to this big reconciliation and now that is done the attention may drop off slightly. That's got me thinking that Sheldon's big decision may do with his career or living 100 per cent without Leonard and Penny.

Personal preference wise, I'd like to see Shamy enjoying each other and exploring this new level of intimacy for a little while before they jump into being engaged, living together or having sex. In saying that, though, I'd still be thrilled to seeing Sheldon expressing total commitment if that is where episode 11 goes. 

Also, thoughts on what other people have said in the forum:

- I don't see Sheldon staying over at Amy's even after the intense kissing, or her going home with him. It seems like too many big steps for him in that one night, however I'm sure sleepovers are on the cards in the very near future.

- Coitus is still a way off I think as well. I still see Shamy as stumbling through the teen years of their relationship, so I think one night of heavy making out hasn't quite raised Sheldon's desire for sex even though Amy would probably be willing to proceed. I do think coitus is likely to happen this season, but it all comes down to when the writers are ready to play that pretty big card.

Anyway, sorry for the ramblings, but my mind is in overdrive from the anticipation of what's to come and I've just got so many theories rattling around in my head.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

I saw just few clips on-line, I'll try to catch up with the episode later this night, but those clips were very funny! Well...I admit, watching them knowing what I know made them excitedly funny, but maybe even not knowing 9.10 is coming I would have laughed out loud! I saw the part in which Sheldon's date showed up and, really, she couldn't be better for him! She likes thing Amy never found interesting (Klingon, everybody? Amy messes up Star Trek and Star Wars and she's proud of it!!), she was willing to worship him and his brilliancy, she was hot...But I agree with all of you, he was happy that somebody showed up, but the moment he opened the door he was ready to close it (gently...how could I imagine that such a southern gentleman could shut the door on her face?!!), he was just expecting the right moment. He was more charming than I thought, but was really determined to let her go. And the "coitus" part (funniest joke ever!!!), partly answers to a question I'm asking myself since I heard of this "dating" stuff about how he imagines his new future "relationship" (that of course he really doesn't want, he just wants the "old" relationship...) He is definitely ready and willing to have a physical relationship too, or at least he recognizes that coitus is a part of a relationship, that's huge for him! Now, whether or not this realization will be put into action soon with Amy, that's another topic, but at least he now has new way to look at a relationship.

<snip>

The bold part stuck with me as well.   Yes, Sheldon wants someone to enjoy these things with, but I think what really attracted him to Amy was not only their common interests, but the fact that she could challenge him.   She always forced him to think outside of the box, outside of his own brain.   I don't think it bothered him too much that Amy didn't get into the Star Trek/Wars thing and the comic books.    Yes, she would indulge in these things on occasion knowing this is what he likes, but Amy exposed him to a life outside of this universe.    That's what he needs, not someone that is just going to go along with him, blindly worshiping him, and keep him there.    So, he probably would have enjoyed Vanessa for a time, but eventually he would have gotten bored with her.  

• Like 8

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic