[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

5 hours ago, camelliayao said:

It's kinda funny how most Shamy shippers are very happy about the reconciliation whereas many non Shamy shippers are like "Why are you happy? You should be sad. The plot is crapy because of blahblahblah. If I were you, I'd be completely disappointed. Quick stop being happy." lol

Anyway I'm satisfied with the reconciliation. Amy wants back together first, not because of the ring, but because she just misses him and wants to be with him no matter what. Sheldon grows a lot since this breakup. He is finally true to his feelings and can show them to Amy. They kiss, make out the way we've never seen before.

Sure it'll be better if they have a long conversation and talk everything out. But to be honest, I don't really want that. I mean what's romantic about a long conversation? That'll be tedious. If I want to see long conversations I may as well go study.

Maybe because I'm a girl and I'm into all kinds of hippy dippy things lol. I fell in love with Shamy because their love is awkward but also romantic and poetic. Their first kiss, first I love you, etc, all these things are carefully and elaborately designed and they're so beautiful.

Well, of course I can only talk for myself, but I think your appreciation of what some of us non- Shamy shippers say, or I at least, is not that you shouldn't be happy. I would never presume to tell anybody how to feel. That being said the resolution to the Shamy split was one of the stupidest pieces of TV writing I've ever heard about. I would have said seen, but it hasn't been broadcast so I'll reserve final judgment until the episode is broadcast. Nobody's telling you to stop being happy, but the way the split was ended has made THE WHOLE SPLIT a mere writing exercise , and completely unnecessary. They had issues , real or perceived, and signs, if we are to go by what Amy herself said that a lot of things were wring in the relationship , and none of those issues have been addressed. While there might not be anything romantic about a conversation the problems you don't address don't disappear, they only get bigger.

When Amy decided to take a time out, and later split because of how Sheldon was insulting her, it was the first time in the show that we REALLY see her stand up to Sheldon. Now, after 10 episodes, we know nothing of her point of view, and they're back together, and I guess she'll be back to being his doormat, but hey, if you're happy, I'm happy for you. If Shamy were my ship I'd be mad. Both Sheldon and Amy deserved better (as characters I like). After watching the WHOLE story arc I must say that even though I didn't believe it at first (and fought some Shamy posters on it- btw they were right and I was wrong-) the writers did pull the split out of their asses. At least they are consistent: they pulled the reconciliation out of their asses as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jenafan said:

In essence, I would define it as a loss of childhood and entering into adulthood.    While my statements below refer to both Sheldon and Amy, the majority of my focus is on Sheldon.

Sheldon and Amy have both experienced hardships growing up, and while they have become very successful in their careers and navigating daily life, they have both been stunted socially.   When they were paired up by Raj and Howard, they were like two peas in a pod with similar backgrounds, awkwardness, aversion to physical touch, common interests etc.    No one understood them, but they understood each other.   They were like two kids who liked to play together and go home at the end of the day with no real care in the world except the flavor of tea they were going to drink or what factoid they were going to share when they were together.  They did things that now may seem silly for the sake of fun and experimentation with no long term consequences.  They weren't so much focused on each other as they were the world of science and opportunity around them.  

Then after a night of drinking, girl-kissing, and dancing, Amy experiments with kissing Sheldon.  There went the innocence of knowing whether or not Sheldon can excite her physically.   She liked it so much, that she tried to convince Sheldon to kiss her again in exchange for convincing Penny to get rid of a chair in her apartment, and again later when he showed up to comfort her.   

In S5 we started to see Sheldon showing jealousy where Amy is concerned and getting anxious when he didn't hear from Amy after a certain period of time.  This was a sign that his feelings were growing deeper for Amy as a friend, so much so that he agreed to cuddle with her to ease her sorrow.  He didn't understand why he needed Amy exclusively for himself, but he knew that he did, even on a platonic level.   They become boyfriend/girlfriend.   There went the innocence of having a girl who is just a friend.   He couldn't just go enjoy a movie with her by his side anymore.   He became bound to do hippy dippy things like holding hands and celebrating VD to keep his girl happy. 

It seemed the parameters set in the RA were not enough to give Sheldon the security that he was safe from becoming overly attached.   Amy, who had become more socially stable, accepted the girlfriend upgrade and wanted the things that came with it.   However, as her boyfriend, Sheldon seemed to become uncomfortable with Amy, to the point that he treated her downright harshly at times, causing him to seek Penny to assist him with making amends.      He realized he had the capability of making Amy angry to where she didn't want to be around him and/or stormed out of the room.     Their friendship escalated to a level where they had disagreements over something as small as the relevance of Raiders or Little House and had to work them out. 

Sheldon put up walls to avoid becoming anymore emotionally or physically attracted to her, but Amy poked holes in them faster than he could repair them.  All had been going just fine, and they had both gotten comfortable with the push-pull dynamic until the train kiss.   I think this was when Sheldon realized he was more emotionally connected to Amy than he thought.   She was changing him, making him softer.   How dare she do that?   He felt like he wasted a lifetime on a career path that got him nowhere.   He realized Amy loves him.   How dare she love him and want to live with him?    There went the innocence that things can remain status quo.   People change.   Life brings changes, and there's no stopping it.  

Sheldon returned from his train trip and avoided the one person who had the biggest influence on his life.   He realized that he cared about what Amy thinks of him.   It seemed she was having an effect on him physically, as he acknowledged his urges.   He realized he was in love.   He broke his own rules to spend more time with Amy.   He started wanting her around all the time, as his life partner.   He kissed her on the couch.   He leaned in for more.   He had the ring...

Up until that point, everything in Sheldon's world seemed like it was starting to coming together, but then it all came to a screeching halt:

Now after the break up, Sheldon has learned to think more about everything, to question things and form his own definitions based on experiencing the good, the bad, and ultimate failure of the relationship.

Sheldon no longer has the lack of mental capacity to understand the consequences of his actions.

He's beginning to understand the difference between giving and taking instead of just giving because it's what he is told he is supposed to do.

He's realizing his strengths and weaknesses, and being a good boyfriend is his weakness, while Amy is his strength.

Amy has realized that Sheldon's brilliance and cute-as-a-button eccentricities are not enough to carry her through the relationship.   She needs him to show her that she matters to him and that she is a priority.

They both realize they have physical needs requiring attention from the other for fulfillment.

Sheldon and Amy both now understand what it means to love, to be loved, and to be hurt by the one you love when you are the most vulnerable.  They know what it means to not have the other around.    They know what it means to think they've lost the one they love forever.    They know how it feels to be betrayed.    They both have proven themselves capable of hurtful behavior toward and about each other that at one time seemed unimaginable.

They now know that a relationship is not just about fun and games and spending time together.   It takes work.   It takes compromise and sacrifice.   It takes patience.   It takes a lot of forgiveness.    Their innocence has been lost in that they have acquired this knowledge, which will change the dynamic in the way they speak to and treat each other from here on out. 

They have become aware of the world around them and realize they are not as unique or exempt from the problems that befall other couples as they once thought.   They are adults after all, and now they have to behave as such.

Unfortunately, we as the audience have lost our innocence with Shamy, as well, based on their individual actions during the break up.   Not only were we shocked by the break up.   We never thought either would ever date, that Amy would kiss another man after Sheldon, that there would ever come a time where they couldn't talk out their problems, or that we'd ever hear Sheldon compare their relationship to a stick of gum that has lost its flavor.  

It just goes to show that love can be a fickle thing and that people do desperate things, totally out of character, when faced with heartbreak in an attempt to get past and/or avoid the pain.   Experience creates growth and change, a coming of age, for lack of a better term.

I cried reading this.

A part of me want them to stay innocent forever, never having to grow up. But that's life. People change, no matter how hard they try not to. People love and get hurt. So there's this trade off: do you prefer living in your perfect little world alone or stepping outside with the one you love? Clearly, Shamy choose the latter. Because with each other, it'll all be worth it.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Well, of course I can only talk for myself, but I think your appreciation of what some of us non- Shamy shippers say, or I at least, is not that you shouldn't be happy. I would never presume to tell anybody how to feel. That being said the resolution to the Shamy split was one of the stupidest pieces of TV writing I've ever heard about. I would have said seen, but it hasn't been broadcast so I'll reserve final judgment until the episode is broadcast. Nobody's telling you to stop being happy, but the way the split was ended has made THE WHOLE SPLIT a mere writing exercise , and completely unnecessary. They had issues , real or perceived, and signs, if we are to go by what Amy herself said that a lot of things were wring in the relationship , and none of those issues have been addressed. While there might not be anything romantic about a conversation the problems you don't address don't disappear, they only get bigger.

When Amy decided to take a time out, and later split because of how Sheldon was insulting her, it was the first time in the show that we REALLY see her stand up to Sheldon. Now, after 10 episodes, we know nothing of her point of view, and they're back together, and I guess she'll be back to being his doormat, but hey, if you're happy, I'm happy for you. If Shamy were my ship I'd be mad. Both Sheldon and Amy deserved better (as characters I like). After watching the WHOLE story arc I must say that even though I didn't believe it at first (and fought some Shamy posters on it- btw they were right and I was wrong-) the writers did pull the split out of their asses. At least they are consistent: they pulled the reconciliation out of their asses as well.

Well guess I'm just the kind of person when I don't like something, I simply don't pay any attention to it. I don't waste my time writing long essays answering the question "Assuming I like that thing, how would I feel?" But you know, people are different.

And hey, thank you for being happy for me.:)

Edited by camelliayao

59 minutes ago, jenafan said:

In essence, I would define it as a loss of childhood and entering into adulthood.    While my statements below refer to both Sheldon and Amy, the majority of my focus is on Sheldon.

Sheldon and Amy have both experienced hardships growing up, and while they have become very successful in their careers and navigating daily life, they have both been stunted socially.   When they were paired up by Raj and Howard, they were like two peas in a pod with similar backgrounds, awkwardness, aversion to physical touch, common interests etc.    No one understood them, but they understood each other.   They were like two kids who liked to play together and go home at the end of the day with no real care in the world except the flavor of tea they were going to drink or what factoid they were going to share when they were together.  They did things that now may seem silly for the sake of fun and experimentation with no long term consequences.  They weren't so much focused on each other as they were the world of science and opportunity around them.  

Then after a night of drinking, girl-kissing, and dancing, Amy experiments with kissing Sheldon.  There went the innocence of knowing whether or not Sheldon can excite her physically.   She liked it so much, that she tried to convince Sheldon to kiss her again in exchange for convincing Penny to get rid of a chair in her apartment, and again later when he showed up to comfort her.   

In S5 we started to see Sheldon showing jealousy where Amy is concerned and getting anxious when he didn't hear from Amy after a certain period of time.  This was a sign that his feelings were growing deeper for Amy as a friend, so much so that he agreed to cuddle with her to ease her sorrow.  He didn't understand why he needed Amy exclusively for himself, but he knew that he did, even on a platonic level.   They become boyfriend/girlfriend.   There went the innocence of having a girl who is just a friend.   He couldn't just go enjoy a movie with her by his side anymore.   He became bound to do hippy dippy things like holding hands and celebrating VD to keep his girl happy. 

It seemed the parameters set in the RA were not enough to give Sheldon the security that he was safe from becoming overly attached.   Amy, who had become more socially stable, accepted the girlfriend upgrade and wanted the things that came with it.   However, as her boyfriend, Sheldon seemed to become uncomfortable with Amy, to the point that he treated her downright harshly at times, causing him to seek Penny to assist him with making amends.      He realized he had the capability of making Amy angry to where she didn't want to be around him and/or stormed out of the room.     Their friendship escalated to a level where they had disagreements over something as small as the relevance of Raiders or Little House and had to work them out. 

Sheldon put up walls to avoid becoming anymore emotionally or physically attracted to her, but Amy poked holes in them faster than he could repair them.  All had been going just fine, and they had both gotten comfortable with the push-pull dynamic until the train kiss.   I think this was when Sheldon realized he was more emotionally connected to Amy than he thought.   She was changing him, making him softer.   How dare she do that?   He felt like he wasted a lifetime on a career path that got him nowhere.   He realized Amy loves him.   How dare she love him and want to live with him?    There went the innocence that things can remain status quo.   People change.   Life brings changes, and there's no stopping it.  

Sheldon returned from his train trip and avoided the one person who had the biggest influence on his life.   He realized that he cared about what Amy thinks of him.   It seemed she was having an effect on him physically, as he acknowledged his urges.   He realized he was in love.   He broke his own rules to spend more time with Amy.   He started wanting her around all the time, as his life partner.   He kissed her on the couch.   He leaned in for more.   He had the ring...

Up until that point, everything in Sheldon's world seemed like it was starting to coming together, but then it all came to a screeching halt:

Now after the break up, Sheldon has learned to think more about everything, to question things and form his own definitions based on experiencing the good, the bad, and ultimate failure of the relationship.

Sheldon no longer has the lack of mental capacity to understand the consequences of his actions.

He's beginning to understand the difference between giving and taking instead of just giving because it's what he is told he is supposed to do.

He's realizing his strengths and weaknesses, and being a good boyfriend is his weakness, while Amy is his strength.

Amy has realized that Sheldon's brilliance and cute-as-a-button eccentricities are not enough to carry her through the relationship.   She needs him to show her that she matters to him and that she is a priority.

They both realize they have physical needs requiring attention from the other for fulfillment.

Sheldon and Amy both now understand what it means to love, to be loved, and to be hurt by the one you love when you are the most vulnerable.  They know what it means to not have the other around.    They know what it means to think they've lost the one they love forever.    They know how it feels to be betrayed.    They both have proven themselves capable of hurtful behavior toward and about each other that at one time seemed unimaginable.

They now know that a relationship is not just about fun and games and spending time together.   It takes work.   It takes compromise and sacrifice.   It takes patience.   It takes a lot of forgiveness.    Their innocence has been lost in that they have acquired this knowledge, which will change the dynamic in the way they speak to and treat each other from here on out. 

They have become aware of the world around them and realize they are not as unique or exempt from the problems that befall other couples as they once thought.   They are adults after all, and now they have to behave as such.

Unfortunately, we as the audience have lost our innocence with Shamy, as well, based on their individual actions during the break up.   Not only were we shocked by the break up.   We never thought either would ever date, that Amy would kiss another man after Sheldon, that there would ever come a time where they couldn't talk out their problems, or that we'd ever hear Sheldon compare their relationship to a stick of gum that has lost its flavor.  

It just goes to show that love can be a fickle thing and that people do desperate things, totally out of character, when faced with heartbreak in an attempt to get past and/or avoid the pain.  

Experience, even negative ones, create growth and change, a coming of age, for lack of a better term.

Did I ever say that doing my taxes is really confusing and hard to put on paper, it's not like I'm jenafan (cough).....

Lol jk, wow! Just, wow!! Borrowing from Dave there....couldn't have said it better if there was money at stake. That's it exactly....

still, I miss those days. Thankfully I've got all the seasons on bluray lol....

thanks jenafan!

18 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Yeah it's hard to argue with some of your points, I too made the same ones on this forum for the last couple weeks. But at some point you suspend disbelief, after all it's a sitcom, and frankly after 9 episodes of melodrama I personally was ready for ANY happy resolution to this messy break up. If I want THAT much awkward sadness I could just tune into the Lifetime network....yeah I could stop watching but I've been a fan of the show since 1.01 and also of the Shamy coupling. 

Im also a Lenny fan too, THAT on again off again relationship has been around a lot longer than Shamy...and frankly, that elopement is almost as huge a disappointment to me as this break up has been. Really? After all this time of "will they won't they" you give them a half assed Vegas wedding with no friends there, no family, nothin? And the icing on top is have the Shamy break up interrupting it, yuck....

i guess my point is, we try to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t sometimes and press on...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jenafan said:

Sheldon and Amy have both experienced hardships growing up, and while they have become very successful in their careers and navigating daily life, they have both been stunted socially.   When they were paired up by Raj and Howard, they were like two peas in a pod with similar backgrounds, awkwardness, aversion to physical touch, common interests etc.    No one understood them, but they understood each other.

This reminded me of what Bill Prady mentioned this year in SDCC

They started at the same place but for different reasons
Sheldon had backed off from the world by choice and Amy hadn't had the opportunities.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Or he needs a fangirl, but its up to the beholder ;)

I'm not sure. :) He had a chance to have that fangirl (Vanessa) who likes everything he likes (almost) but he still closed his doors to her. She liked klingon and physicist. 

Amy is a neurobiologist, interchanged star trek with star wars, sometimes late... That speaks a lot.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

It just goes to show that love can be a fickle thing and that people do desperate things, totally out of character, when faced with heartbreak in an attempt to get past and/or avoid the pain.  

Experience, even negative ones, create growth and change, a coming of age, for lack of a better term.

This is just amazing jena! Thank you!

• Like 2

There's no doubting that Sheldon enjoys being with Amy, it's just that for a long time he was fighting his feelings for her, simply because he was used to not needing a s/o

I think now things are back on track he will be more open to her but I don't expect drastic changes like that immediately

We have learned that tptb will give us some sugar them chuck in some angst to keep us on our toes

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, rachelshamyfan said:

There's no doubting that Sheldon enjoys being with Amy, it's just that for a long time he was fighting his feelings for her, simply because he was used to not needing a s/o

I think now things are back on track he will be more open to her but I don't expect drastic changes like that immediately

We have learned that tptb will give us some sugar them chuck in some angst to keep us on our toes

I  like so much  your new avatar!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2

I'm a Shamy fan and I am not happy with the way the reconciliation happened.

I won't go as far as " you shouldn't like it neither because ... ", everyone has his / her point of view and it's OK this way. I hope that nobody is going to tell me: " hey you should like the reconciliation because ... " whatever your reasons for liking this reconciliation are, I don't share them, to me the reconciliation is just another example of poor imagination, an accumulation of the worst clichés, and bad writing again  ( like all the beginning and development of this arc in fact ).

Now it's just in front of our eyes: they've turned a unique and awkaward couple into another standard couple, with standard drama and of course standard reconciliation.

This is making me feel really sad and depressed.

When before the reconcilation I said I was afraid of a cheap reconciliation, I think in fact I wanted the writers to prove me wrong. But unfortunately they proved me right, and this is causing so much disappointment.

As for Amy's POV, even though I've always been on Sheldon's side since Day 1, I think it's really sad and depressing to make her a tool for Sheldon. Her POV isn't developped because really who cares, she's not a main character, she's just here to help Sheldon grow, right? This kind of makes me angry.

I'm writing this post just to say that you can be emotionally involved in the Shamy relationship and yet not being overjoyed just because they finally got back together. I can't help but see the numerous flaws of this break-up, when I first read the TR i wasn't " oh that's awesome they're a couple together and they're French-kissing " but rather " whaaaat? but that sounds so much like dozens of fanfics I've read, how could they have stooped so low? I can't believe it "

• Like 2

It's interesting how differently people have reacted to this storyline. I, for one, loved it, I liked the whole development of this story arc and I applaud the writers for creating it. Naturally I didn't enjoy the angst, but for me it all makes perfect sense.  I'm satisfied and it's been rainbows and unicorns ever since. Based on this thread and social media, I'd say that majority of Shamy fans feels pretty much the same way. I also understand that's not the case for everyone. I feel genuinely sorry for those who are disappointed. 

• Like 7

since I choose to live in the happily ever after Shamy paradise - meaning that this story line was wonderful with all it's heart break, maturing and now, longing  (imo always) - here's my thought for a bit later on. 

Tea time in 4A: 

Amy- " Sheldon, I'm surprised you haven't discussed a new Relationship Agreement yet. It's been over  two months since we got back together"

Sheldon- " Well, there is an agreement I have been thinking about for quite a while now that's a tad bit more binding than our previous arrangement." 

Amy- "Oh,  so you have drawn up a new one." 

Sheldon- " I didn't make it per se but since the topic has come up, let me get it for you." 

He goes to the safe..... 

( well, you know what's in there) 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, bluebird said:

It's interesting how differently people have reacted to this storyline. I, for one, loved it, I liked the whole development of this story arc and I applaud the writers for creating it. Naturally I didn't enjoy the angst, but for me it all makes perfect sense.  I'm satisfied and it's been rainbows and unicorns ever since. Based on this thread and social media, I'd say that majority of Shamy fans feels pretty much the same way. I also understand that's not the case for everyone. I feel genuinely sorry for those who are disappointed. 

The reconciliation doesn't bother me because I always knew it be quick and out of the blue.  The break up story for Sheldon was well done, for Amy to put it bluntly it was crap.  They have a multi nominated emmy actress playing an unique character that they don't want to explore.  Makes no sense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Arduina said:

Oh you guys :( New terror attacks in Paris :(

I'm so sorry this obviously is not on topic but I'm so shocked :(

I'm with you. I hope all your family and friends are fine. It is horrible, they attack innocent people who were just in a concert, in the restaurant,... Now it's hard to feel safe in Paris.

I live in Paris, fortunately I was not here yesterday. All my thoughts for the victims and their families.

Edited by CentralPerk
Sorry for the off topic, I would like just write a message somewhere about that and answer at Arduina.
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, CentralPerk said:

I'm with you. I hope all your family and friends are fine. It is horrible, they attack innocent people who were just in a concert, in the restaurant,... Now it's hard to feel safe in Paris.

I live in Paris, fortunately I was not here yesterday. All my thoughts for the victims and their families.

The news are horrible. We went to bed really early yesterday so I only found out late this morning. What a shock. Glad to hear you are okay.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CentralPerk said:

I found out late last night, it's so tragic. I'm so glad you're okay. Be safe. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CentralPerk said:

Clearly someone in heaven gave you a blessing and got you out of Paris for the day. I still can't believe it. I'm glad you are ok though. 

They've evicted the north terminal at Gatwick now. What's going on with this world?

Total off topic. Sorry guys

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CentralPerk said:

I only saw the full extent of what happened on the news this morning.   It's truly horrific.  

Glad you're OK.   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CentralPerk said:

A friend of mine was in a restaurant close to Le Bataclan and thye had to hide in their cave waiting for the restaurant to be secured by the police.

Horrible night :( Spent the night and a good part of this morning checking on family and friends. I'm scared about the possible bad news at work on Monday, most of my colleagues are living in Paris. I'm about 20 km away so pretty much safe I guess.

• Like 5

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic