[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

13 minutes ago, bluebird said:

Someone also suggested Dr. Fowler-Cooper. I would feel weird if Amy wouldn't be Amy Farrah Fowler anymore. I could see her keeping her own name as well.

The name Amy Farrah Fowler has such a nice rhythm to it - changing it in any way sounds kinda weird.

• Like 3

• Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning peeps! Let me clear up and give a more in depth shamy reportings!   There were 2 takes of the second kiss... As they finish kissing the first time round. They break apart. Sheld

Ok fellow Shamies, I typed up this report on the plane home just now. I've just landed and have another hour or so until I'll be home, but I thought I'd post this at least for you all real quick.  Sor

Oh...I thought someone has already posted a TR? No? Ok. First of all, English is not my first language, so I may have misunderstood a lot of the lines. Please forgive me if the episode turns out

Posted Images

I know of women who use both their maiden name and married name. Maiden name for work purposes and married name for social. I vaguely remember someone suggesting that they both hypnate their names, so it be Cooper-Fowler and Fowler-Cooper.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebird said:

Someone also suggested Dr. Fowler-Cooper. I would feel weird if Amy wouldn't be Amy Farrah Fowler anymore. I could see her keeping her own name as well.

I don't know how much familiar  you are with the way in the academic world the citation to a certain article or to a certain author are assigned, but believe me, if I ever get married, I will never change my name (in my country anyway it is not required, for law women keep their own last name after  marriage...) because it will be a mess  counting the citations to my papers afterwords. And citations are one of the parameters you value a scientist on nowadays (not that I agree with that, but now I digress...)

I hope she keeps her last name after the marriage for all the "romantic" and feminist reasons you mentioned above, she is really recognizable with that name, Sheldon calls her  "Amy Farrah Fowler" so often that I can't imagine her with any other name, but those "practical" reasons are so close to my heart as well!!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, April said:

I may be a minority here but I would love it if Amy kept her name. And I would love it even more if Sheldon supports or even suggests this decision. Reasons in no particular order:

- Amy is an accomplished scientist and presumably has some level of name recognition that she worked hard for. She shouldn't want to give that up (insert lengthy feminist ramblings about women in history and their accomplishments sometimes being hard to track down simply because they changed their name after marriage here). I think it's easily also a reason that Sheldon can get behind. He wouldn't give up his name recognition, so why should Amy?

- they can continue call each other Dr. Fowler and Dr. Cooper on occasion, I just really like that lol

- taking the husband's name may be a social convention but it's optional, so I don't see Sheldon insisting on that

- taking the husband's name can also be seen as a romantic gesture, which is a plausible reason for Amy but again, I don't think Sheldon would care much for that

- something completely Sheldon-y: "There's already one highly accomplished Dr. Cooper!" lol

- I quite like the idea that the female characters then have each chosen a different option (Penny takes her husband's name, Bernie hyphenates, Amy keeps hers)

I agree with this, but I have a feeling it will end up hyphenated like Bernie's.

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I don't know how much familiar  you are with the way in the academic world the citation to a certain article or to a certain author are assigned, but believe me, if I ever get married, I will never change my name (in my country anyway it is not required, for law women keep their own last name after  marriage...) because it will be a mess  counting the citations to my papers afterwords. And citations are one of the parameters you value a scientist on nowadays (not that I agree with that, but now I digress...)

I hope she keeps there last name after the marriage for all the "romantic" and feminist reasons you mentioned above, she is really recognizable with that name, Sheldon calls her  "Amy Farrah Fowler" so often that I can't imagine her with any other name, but those "practical" reasons are so close to my heart as well!!

Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home works for me :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mirs1 said: I don't know how much familiar  you are with the way in the academic world the citation to a certain article or to a certain author are assigned, but believe me, if I ever get married, I will never change my name (in my country anyway it is not required, for law women keep their own last name after  marriage...) because it will be a mess  counting the citations to my papers afterwords. And citations are one of the parameters you value a scientist on nowadays (not that I agree with that, but now I digress...)

I hope she keeps there last name after the marriage for all the "romantic" and feminist reasons you mentioned above, she is really recognizable with that name, Sheldon calls her  "Amy Farrah Fowler" so often that I can't imagine her with any other name, but those "practical" reasons are so close to my heart as well!!

Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home works for me

I think that there may be a few discussions between about it and eventually they're agree on the compromise of Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

I think that there may be a few discussions between about it and eventually they're agree on the compromise of Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home.

We're presuming that they actually are gonna get married!

*runs away*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home works for me :)

lol that sounds so wrong to me, I can't help it. First of all, I love the way he says her name! No matter if it's "Amy Farrah Fowler" or "Dr. Fowler". I'm completely biased on that one, I know. Secondly, "Mrs"? I can't see him drop her academic title. That is like an insult coming from Sheldon. No, no, no. Do not want.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said: I think that there may be a few discussions between about it and eventually they're agree on the compromise of Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home.

*runs away*

Ohhh I don't think either mother would tolerate them 'living in sin'. Sheldon does what his mother tells him most of the time and Amy is scared of hers, so that's not going to happen.

19 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

*runs away*

I'm pretty sure we don't have to be concerned about if they'll get married. Sheldon has the ring and he has almost proposed to her twice. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't get married, IMHO. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

*runs away*

What a difference with the discussions going on here a week ago!!! We are a happy fandom now!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said: Dr Fowler at work and Mrs Cooper at home works for me

lol that sounds so wrong to me, I can't help it. First of all, I love the way he says her name! No matter if it's "Amy Farrah Fowler" or "Dr. Fowler". I'm completely biased on that one, I know. Secondly, "Mrs"? I can't see him drop her academic title. That is like an insult coming from Sheldon. No, no, no. Do not want.

He hasn't called her by her full name for ages though and I think the last time she used it herself was when she signed the termination section in the table episode.

1 minute ago, A Shamy gal said:

He hasn't called her by her full name for ages though and I think the last time she used it herself was when she signed the termination section in the table episode.

I'm a bit torn on this.

The romantic nature of Amy's (recent seasons) character suggests that she would want to me Mrs/Dr Cooper but the Career focussed woman in her would want to keep her name which is why I'm thinking she will have a 'career name' :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jenafan said:

In the 2003 Approximation, Sheldon mentioned to Bernie that he tried to call his Meemaw for comfort over Amy leaving him/he needing to find a new roommate, but she was taking a nap.       I think she died in one of Hazelra's FF stories, but not on the show.

Nope... Not me. I killed Mary off in Sheldon Six.  Meamaw is safe... for now... DUN DUN DUN! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A Shamy gal said:

He referred to her by her full name in this last episode. 

Edited by nickelette424
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A Shamy gal said: He hasn't called her by her full name for ages though and I think the last time she used it herself was when she signed the termination section in the table episode.

He referred to her by her full name in this last episode. 

I didn't see that in the TR.

8 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

I didn't see that in the TR.

No, not TR, the actual last episode - when he talks to Raj and Howard: "It was the two of you who found Amy Farrah Fowler for me."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said: I didn't see that in the TR.

No, not TR, the actual last episode - when he talks to Raj and Howard: "It was the two of you who found Amy Farrah Fowler for me."

Not been shown here yet.

1 minute ago, A Shamy gal said: Not been shown here yet.

Sorry, I'm assuming we're all up-to-date here, whoops. How far have you seen the episodes?

Perspiration Implementation is on Thursday

I would love see Dave appearing on the Shamy's wedding and bragging something  like "You see ,it was a such an honor that l happened to be the one who help these two getting back together, that was literally the most wonderful night in my life"

Edited by mothandfire

8 minutes ago, mothandfire said:

I would love see Dave appearing on the Shamy's wedding and bragging something  like "You see ,it was a such an honor that l happened to be the one who help these two getting back, that's literally the most wonderful night in my life"

He could give the most awkward toast to the newly wed couple! lol

18 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

Perspiration Implementation is on Thursday

I admire your patience - I could never wait that long! :icon_wink:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I'm a bit torn on this.

The romantic nature of Amy's (recent seasons) character suggests that she would want to me Mrs/Dr Cooper but the Career focussed woman in her would want to keep her name which is why I'm thinking she will have a 'career name' :)

Please forgive my need to add my two-cents' worth here...

Twenty years ago next summer, I had to make this decision for myself. Like Amy, I was romantic about the notion of my last name, and wanted to take my then fiance's name, but I also felt a need to honor my own history and my parents (particularly my father, who would never have a grandchild to carry his last name due to circumstances beyond everyone's control). It was a significant bone of contention between my now husband and myself.

In the end, I chose what was right for me, and Stuart agreed it was a good compromise. I carry his name outside of the office, and at the office, I am still known by my maiden name. We married four weeks after I graduated optometry school, so there wasn't an issue with my patients being confused, so that helped.

I believe Amy will choose to do as you suggest... maintaining her professional identity, while giving into the romantic notion of being "Mrs. Cooper." And why not? They are both a reflection of who she is.

Ultimately, every woman (and man, too, for that matter) should choose as is right for them... in this, and in many things in life.

I'll step off my soap box now... :)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bluebird said:

I'm pretty sure we don't have to be concerned about if they'll get married. Sheldon has the ring and he has almost proposed to her twice. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't get married, IMHO. 

As we all konws,Sheldon always loves to make it three. So three is the charm,guys(wink).

• Like 2

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic