[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

3 hours ago, jlove said:

Guys, guys, guys, I already told you this last week.  Sheldon has a portable emergency kit he takes with him even just to spend the night on his own couch.  Of course he has an emergency kit of his own at Amy's place - you know how much he admires preparedness.  Ergo, he has pajamas at her place, and at least a change of clothes (though him going home in the same clothes in the morning would be a good scene, too.). :-)

Which episode was this in?

I cannot quote from my Android phone for some reason.  

If Shamy were broken up,  would he still have an emergency kit in Amy's apartment, if he ever did?  If he just showed up at her place without his messenger bag, he would not have one with him,  either.  He does not always carry it. 

I think he would sleep in his street clothes if he had to.  He was prepared to do so when waiting in line to see Raiders.

I think it would be more interesting if we are shown he was not prepared and winged it anyway just for the sake of needing to be with her. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jenafan said:

I am with you.  I cannot see Amy not wanting to take Sheldon's last name.  At the minimum, she may use the hyphenated Fowler-Cooper to combine both their accomplished names together.    Not only is she a gifted scientist in her own right, but she landed Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper, and that is quite a feat in itself.

Not only is she a romantic, but she will want everyone to know her as the woman Sheldon Cooper felt worthy enough to become his wife.   Listen to her remarks on the FWF commentary.   It just kills her that no one believes Sheldon has a girlfriend, let alone a wife.   She will feel proud to bear it and make it known.   

I also believe Sheldon would want her to have it, not only to make it clear that she belongs to him, but I definitely think he wants their progeny to carry the name and know their mother by the Cooper name as well.

i agree. i guess a case can be made for either way and we can only wait to see who is right. i personally think that Amys character, while acknowledging she is a successful scientist in her own right, is more apt to go with the name change because it is part of her personality...not to sound like a broken record, but a gal who writes fictional romance stories involving her significant other, plays a harp, loves french poetry, and has demonstrated time and again that she is fond of and is seeking romance in her life is not gonna play the professional card when marrying the guy she has chased for five years.

yeah, her profession is important and being recognized as a successful female scientist is also important to her, but my gut feeling is she will rate being "Mrs Cooper" much higher and wont care if she is no longer known as Dr Fowler kn her professional world. i agree with you that shes gonna want to wear the new name proudly.

its funny how something this mundane is what we are debating now as a group considering what the hot topics were a week ago, too funny!

• Like 3

If Sheldon really proposes short after their reconciliation, I think Amy will be truly shocked. Can you imagine one day she was thinking she had lost her chance with the love of her life and the next day "Will you marry me" hahaha.

That being said, I still want them to get engaged soon. :icon_wink:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, camelliayao said:

If Sheldon really proposes short after their reconciliation, I think Amy will be truly shocked. Can you imagine one day she was thinking she had lost her chance with the love of her life and the next day "Will you marry me" hahaha.

That being said, I still want them to get engaged soon. :icon_wink:

Poor girl has been on a roller coaster! :icon_wink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

I disagree. I do think that is very much part of her character. Maybe not to the degree of Sheldon (no one matches that ego anyway) but she is written as someone who values her intellect and academic accomplishments - the name is part of that, IMHO. I don't think romance is all there is to her.

Also, the writers do use her on occasion to show a feminist point of view. Like that time she gave Bernie a pep talk about how she should be recognised for her intellectual accomplishments and not her looks. I quite like that side about her and it would fit if they use that aspect of her character to make the decision to keep her name.

i think we just disagree on which aspect of her character Amy rates as more important. certainly the argument can be made for either side for sure, im just going with the romantic side of her trumping the professional side. we'll have to see how it plays out! im just glad we are debating this topic instead of the depressing break up fodder our forum has been navigating for a while! 

2 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

i agree. i guess a case can be made for either way and we can only wait to see who is right. i personally think that Amys character, while acknowledging she is a successful scientist in her own right, is more apt to go with the name change because it is part of her personality...not to sound like a broken record, but a gal who writes fictional romance stories involving her significant other, plays a harp, loves french poetry, and has demonstrated time and again that she is fond of and is seeking romance in her life is not gonna play the professional card when marrying the guy she has chased for five years.

yeah, her profession is important and being recognized as a successful female scientist is also important to her, but my gut feeling is she will rate being "Mrs Cooper" much higher and wont care if she is no longer known as Dr Fowler kn her professional world. i agree with you that shes gonna want to wear the new name proudly.

its funny how something this mundane is what we are debating now as a group considering what the hot topics were a week ago, too funny!

Perhaps the married name issue will be one of the things they negotiate over tea.  I would just love to hear Sheldon call her Mrs. Dr. Fowler-Cooper.

There is so much comedic potential ahead.  Arrangement of furniture in apartment.  Cooking together.   Money issues.  Sheldon finding Amy's hair in the sink.   Amy being awaken in the night with a Sheldon safety drill. All the things that two people coming together have to get used to,  but with all the Shamy quirkiness & eccentricities.

I know they likely won't have babies on the show,  but I'd love to hear their discussion in choosing names.

• Like 9

I as well love this depate over her lastname, who would've believed a week ago! The main thing is that we want them engaged (this week or later), married and happy :) it'll be interesting to see how this Dr. Fowler/Dr  Cooper/Dr. Fowler-Cooper puzzle will be solved! 

• Like 3

Mrs. Cooper is his mother's name, I don't think he will want people calling her that.

Dr. Cooper is his name, I don't think he will want people calling her that either.

I'm going for the hyphenate....Dr. Fowler-Cooper.

It would be fun to see them whiteboard the possible combinations over tea...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tomasina said:

Amy did tell Dave she was thinking about getting a better place. It would no longer be out of the area with sheldon back in the picture,  but it could bring up the issue of living together again. But if sheldon's force had awakened,  maybe he knows living together platonically would no longer work for him. 

Seeing as so many little things are carried over from one episode to the next this season I find it quite curious that they had Amy mention that she needed/wanted (?) to move soon. So I agree, it probably comes up sooner rather than later. Possibly even in a bundle with, well, everything else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amy Fowler said:

I do as well, as you said, she a aromatic, she loves all that airy fairy stuff. The thrills she'd get from saying she's 'Mrs Cooper', gives me chills just typing it! Which why I think she'll become Amy Cooper on paper and use it around friends and family but she'll carry on using Fowler for work purposes. And becoming a Mrs is something she's wanted for a long time. If not because shes sudden realised it might potentially happen but for everyone she's wanted to prove wrong. All those people, including her mum, that someone would want her romanticly, to have a family with her, to be thought of as someone's wife.  

I do also agree with April in terms of, not ego, but she has desires to make herself known in the world of science. Not as much as Sheldon but she does want to achieve things. Again maybe not for herself but to prove to people that she can make something of herself. I don't think a noble means as much to her as Sheldon but she wouldn't say no to it. I'm not saying she'd use his surname to help gain more reputation, she'll get there on her own merit, but it would certainly get a talking point going with 'important science people' if people noticed she was married to Sheldon Cooper. 

well said especially her excitement over being knowns as a married woman...she probably wrote that off long ago being as she dated knce a year to keep her mom off her back..."I wish I could tell 13 year old Amy it DOES get better!" comes to mind when i think how exciting the nuptials will be for her.

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Perhaps the married name issue will be one of the things they negotiate over tea.  I would just love to hear Sheldon call her Mrs. Dr. Fowler-Cooper.

There is so much comedic potential ahead.  Arrangement of furniture in apartment.  Cooking together.   Money issues.  Sheldon finding Amy's hair in the sink.   Amy being awaken in the night with a Sheldon safety drill. All the things that two people coming together have to get used to,  but with all the Shamy quirkiness & eccentricities.

I know they likely won't have babies on the show,  but I'd love to hear their discussion in choosing names.

Also Sheldon being woken by Amy's night terrors.  Where to put her harp.  Whose bed they'll use - Sheldon's, Amy's water bed or do they buy a new one?  Who gets to use the bathroom first in the morning?  Lots and lots of things.  :)

Edited by A Shamy gal
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, amethyst said:

I'm just trying to get my head around the image of Sheldon down on one knee saying " Amy Farrah Fowler will you marry me? " Good Lord!!!!

Speaking of proposing, how do think he'll do it? Over romandic dinner? Somenthing more Sheldon-y? 

• Like 1

Personally, I never changed my name, because I am recognized professionally by my current name.  As a scientist with published articles, I can't see her changing her name professionally.  But I think she will opt for the Dr. Fowler-Cooper in her personal life.  Amy Farrah Fowler has a nice ring to it.  Now to put a ring on it!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

i think we just disagree on which aspect of her character Amy rates as more important. certainly the argument can be made for either side for sure, im just going with the romantic side of her trumping the professional side. we'll have to see how it plays out! im just glad we are debating this topic instead of the depressing break up fodder our forum has been navigating for a while! 

Well, I think we also need to keep in mind the realities of the academic world as mirs1 pointed out:

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

I'll go with she keeps her name, at least at work,  if we are betting...Really both of them are in the science, Sheldon knows that keeping her name is important for work purposes; if they try to set the record straight in the science part, she has to keep it. Nowadays scientists are registered by name in so many databases for so many different aims that changing names takes forever to be fixed; even if Sheldon is old fashioned regarding many things I'm sure he will not insist, because he knows it. Bernadette is not in the academic world anymore, I think she doesn't publish any paper, so for her it doesn't matter, but for Amy is really important.

(But yes, what a nice fluffy topic to chat about instead of all the angst. lol)

5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Mrs. Cooper is his mother's name, I don't think he will want people calling her that.

Dr. Cooper is his name, I don't think he will want people calling her that either.

Sheldon is also very accurate when it comes to titles - for him dropping the Dr. in favour of Mrs. when addressing Amy like that would be really weird.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amy Fowler said:

Is that like a legal thing in the states? Over here it's usually done by social status (I've known women who have hyphenated but choose their partners surname first to keep it traditional). So it would be Cooper-Fowler as (well its implied) Sheldon has a more reputable name within the sciences. But if its a legal thing to put your maiden name first then so be it.

Where is it implied Sheldon has a better reputation than Amy? She has never had the career embarrassments that Sheldon has. i.e. the Arctic expedition, showing Hawkings a paper with a math error, & the blunder with the supersolid element.

• Like 3

Not to be a kill joy, but if Sheldon does propose as soon as 9.11 any chance that Amy, as excited as she would be, puts off a "yes" for the sake of making sure the reconciliation sticks as a prudent decision for both of them? Horrible, i know....

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

From my POV, a career is of course important, but the person one chooses to spend the rest of their life with is the most important.  When one chooses to give up singleness and commit to a partner, that partner should be considered in the decision making process.  Amy will consider Sheldon's feelings on this matter in making her decision to carry his name or not.   However,  I don't think it is necessary.   I honestly believe she wants to be identified as attached to Dr. Cooper, like a badge of honor. 

I don't think the name she chooses has any bearing on her scientific achievements.  Women get married & change names all the time.   It does not undo their accomplishments.  Her success in life goes beyond her career, and that includes matrimony to a man who is successful in his own field. 

• Like 3

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic