The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

7 minutes ago, April said:

Well, people have been complaining about this for years now. It's kinda funny to think that their "ideal Sheldon" only existed for like 3 seasons - or 2 and a half if you take into account that they needed some time in the very beginning to define the character. But ever since S4 and Amy his characterisation is marching forward and I love it, tbh! And I agree, it takes a lot of courage to do that because he's been this breakout character with a specific image in Joe Public's mind. Plus, the very nature of the character is that he doesn't want to change. So you have to be clever about it to make it believable.

I agree, from the dialogue bits we got I do think 9x10 still keeps him in character - but viewers have to be aware that he isn't the same robotic guy who's saying "bazinga!" all the time anymore and hasn't been for years, really.

Of course ppl can change, but some core qualities will never change, or the person stops being him/herself.
Since TBBT is a TV show, anything is possible.

It just stops resembling real life, which was the original starting point of the show.

28 minutes ago, April said:

Well, for one, changes are part of real life. And yes, sometimes a person changes drastically to the point where you don't recognize them. Sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better. It happens.

But since we're talking about a fictional character here: It all depends on what you'd think are the "core qualities" of Sheldon. I often see people who prefer the S1-3 version of him complaining about how he shouldn't have or express his emotions at all. And of course they would never be interested seeing him being all hippie-dippie about Amy. But the show is in its 9th season now and over the years the writers have developed what they think are his "core qualities", namely that hidden under all his quirks and his aloof personality and the protective layers he's build up over the years, there is indeed a human being who cares about his friends, who enjoys the companionship, who's capable of love and who wants to be loved. It's not so much that they changed him drastically, but rather that they uncovered these sides of him bit by bit.

Well, what you see as developed, I see as changed, and therefor changed a character (Sheldon) in someone else.

Guess we agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, kelliluvtbbt said:

Actions speak louder than words and judging by Sheldon's actions in the last taping... I think he started making Amy aware that she is a top priority. Of course, in my head, after she kicked the door closed they continued making out for a while but then had a serious heart to heart. It got really late so he ended up spending the night...just sleeping. The way the writers handled  the relationship this season, I don't expect to see the "talk" on screen. They've already had 9 episodes of angst...enough. 

Also, I don't see a proposal in tonight's taping. It's too soon in my opinion. The have 6 months of dates to make up for first :)

what would be funny for me to see is them going to watch the premiere of SW and Amy whispers something in his ear, he looks at her all serious, kind of lusty. He then grabs her hand, gets up and tells the gang they have to go, leaving everyone else stunned! ( use your imaginations as to what Amy might have said to him!!!!) 

* I'm a dirty, dirty girl!

If Amy can distract him during a SW themed event, there will be no doubt to anyone that he is clearly hooked!   It would be cool to see if she can pull it off.

I'd like to see them making cute affectionate gestures to the surprise of everyone around them.

Howard needs to pull his IPhone whip app out again.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Amy Fowler said:

You know I agree with the bit in bold like 10,0000000x 

I don't know where people are getting this sudden change from. He never suddenly changed. It's always been a progressive change, but they've always been so subtle or it goes so under the radar that we don't register it. It's only when we get to discussions like this we go back and can clearly see those moments where he changed. The biggest and longest change for sure has been his time with Amy. Just look how filterless he was in S1,2 & 3. now he's learnt that not everyone was like him, people have feelings and he needs to bare those in mind when communicating, he's more controlled with what he says because.

His stance on being against things has always stemmed for his inexperience in these things, its not because he hates them or its gross. Thats just a cover. He didn't understand the need for a girlfriend, but he got one and, yeah ok it took him 5 years, but he realised that actually you do need that someone. It's the same with kissing. After that train kiss, he realised he liked it and continued to do it. It'll be the same with this passionate kiss in 9.10. He'll work out he liked it and want to keep doing it. Ok it stemmed from missing Amy but he bite the bullet, did it and now he won't be able to stop wanted to passionately kiss Amy. Which makes us shippers very VERY happen :biggrin: 

One of the things I've enjoyed about this arc, as it's played on screen*, is how the writers have subtly demonstrated how some of the things that may have seemed to be core parts of Sheldon's character are actually                 maladaptive coping mechanisms.  It's the main theme of "Spock," but there's an undercurrent of it in every episode.  The writers keep pinging back to that central theme, what he's doing isn't working for him anymore, he just doesn't get it yet.

*many of the lighter little character beats, like saying he needs a new girlfriend to "ignore" didn't pop in the trs.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Amy Fowler said:

You know I agree with the bit in bold like 10,0000000x 

I don't know where people are getting this sudden change from. He never suddenly changed. It's always been a progressive change, but they've always been so subtle or it goes so under the radar that we don't register it. It's only when we get to discussions like this we go back and can clearly see those moments where he changed. The biggest and longest change for sure has been his time with Amy. Just look how filterless he was in S1,2 & 3. now he's learnt that not everyone was like him, people have feelings and he needs to bare those in mind when communicating, he's more controlled with what he says because.

His stance on being against things has always stemmed for his inexperience in these things, its not because he hates them or its gross. Thats just a cover. He didn't understand the need for a girlfriend, but he got one and, yeah ok it took him 5 years, but he realised that actually you do need that someone. It's the same with kissing. After that train kiss, he realised he liked it and continued to do it. It'll be the same with this passionate kiss in 9.10. He'll work out he liked it and want to keep doing it. Ok it stemmed from missing Amy but he bite the bullet, did it and now he won't be able to stop wanted to passionately kiss Amy. Which makes us shippers very VERY happen :biggrin: 

I agree.   It has been gradual and not sudden.    I encourage anyone who has time to go back and revisit the old episodes.    Doing so will cause one to pick up on things that maybe weren't seen before, which are more meaningful now that we know where the relationship is headed and what Sheldon is becoming.   It all started when Leonard became his roommate.  Then Penny entered the picture.   Then Amy.    He's changed because of the influences of the people in his life.

I will comment more later, but I've got to go to work right now.   If it's not busy, I'll be back shortly.   If it is, I'll have to catch up later.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I often wonder if these people actually watched early seasons Sheldon?

[...]

Yeah, exactly! It's so bizarre. If you look past his Spock persona he's always been really emotional.

11 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I've seen a lot of people blame/credit (depending on your perspective) Amy for the character growth that Sheldon has gone through but Penny has also had a large part to play in opening him up to the world, this transformation was underway well before Amy Farrah Fowler came along, she just sped it up!

Oh yes, indeed! I really love his friendship dynamic with Penny. The big deal with Amy though was that suddenly there was a character he actually wanted to spend time with (besides Leonard's mother maybe lol) - the endless hours talking to her, playing games that only they understood, and even being comfortable with keeping each other company while doing their own thing (while, in contrast, that one afternoon Amy was spending at 4A just reading made Leonard feel really uneasy lmao).

• Like 5

Just now, Carlilla said:

Is there any possibility that they "did it"? 

I guess there is the possibility as they were making out and that is where the episode ended but I seriously doubt that is how it will go down.

They've had a few years of "will they bang?" and I think when they do there will be a bit more of a build up :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Radar said:

Did we ever get a depressing Christmas episode? :icon_wink:

The one in Season 6 where they play a D&D game involving rescuing Santa might qualify, Sheldon reveals his dislike of the season because it reminds him of his dead pop pop that Santa couldn't bring back...but it ended pretty funny so who knows.

• Like 2

Just now, 2L344 said:

The one in Season 6 where they play a D&D game involving rescuing Santa might qualify, Sheldon reveals his dislike of the season because it reminds him of his dead pop pop that Santa couldn't bring back...but it ended pretty funny so who knows.

Yet another example of emotional Sheldon!

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Boonaroma said:

One of the things I've enjoyed about this arc, as it's played on screen*, is how the writers have subtly demonstrated how some of the things that may have seemed to be core parts of Sheldon's character are actually                 maladaptive coping mechanisms.  It's the main theme of "Spock," but there's an undercurrent of it in every episode.  The writers keep pinging back to that central theme, what he's doing isn't working for him anymore, he just doesn't get it yet.

*many of the lighter little character beats, like saying he needs a new girlfriend to "ignore" didn't pop in the trs.

Absolutely. I think he's slowly starting to get it and thats why when he kissed Amy for for the third time in 9.10 it was as if he'd accepted the fact he does feel and he did incredibly miss everything Shamy. 

Also. When Leonard spoke to him in the tag of 9.8 about focusing on real people instead of fictional ones, I think thats where we started to see the 'half human side of Spock' coming out of Sheldon. We've seen him be all 'Spock' for the majority of the shows run and I'm not suggesting that they completely get rid of that element of Sheldon but its nice to see it slide for a few episodes. I'd like to see Sheldon be a more controlled Spock, Knowing who to let in and who to leave out. 

23 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I agree.   It has been gradual and not sudden.    I encourage anyone who has time to go back and revisit the old episodes.    Doing so will cause one to pick up on things that maybe weren't seen before, which are more meaningful now that we know where the relationship is headed and what Sheldon is becoming.   It all started when Leonard became his roommate.  Then Penny entered the picture.   Then Amy.    He's changed because of the influences of the people in his life.

I will comment more later, but I've got to go to work right now.   If it's not busy, I'll be back shortly.   If it is, I'll have to catch up later.

Absolutely! its nice to see him finally accept that fact. Look back at the episode where he was going to break up with Amy because she'd changed him to much. Even broken up she was still changing him and now they're back together its like he's admitted he likes the change! Roll on the day when he realises Amy's going to keep making him change and feel things for the rest of his life!. 

Have fun at work!

15 minutes ago, Carlilla said:

Is there any possibility that they "did it"?

I always take, and its usually in sitcoms, when someone shuts the door with their foot cause their to busy playing tonsil tennis that usually means they're going to have sex. But as this is Shamy they might not have. I'm going to assume that Sheldon did stay over atleast. 

6 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I loved seeing that side of him. Makes me wonder what kind of Sheldon we're going to see with Proton this week. As its his subconscious it could be incredibly emotional. Or not. 

• Like 5

Wonder if they'll go back to using the RA or if they'll decide they don't need it.  After all, he has now kissed her without it even being date night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jenafan said:

The word I would choose is "matured".   A person can grow from life's experiences, influences, and one's own desire to do so without changing the core of who they are.    Sheldon is still quirky and clueless, but he's emotional now and realizes the importance of keeping the people he cares about in his life.   

He used to be happy being alone, but now he knows his quality of life is lost without the people who have put up with him and guided him in it.   The world is moving on without him, and he realizes he has to risk vulnerability in order not to be left behind.    He's maturing because life is forcing him to, and because he wants to for the sake of his heart.

Exactly, well put. 

9 minutes ago, tmp said:

Wonder if they'll go back to using the RA or if they'll decide they don't need it.  After all, he has now kissed her without it even being date night.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT!

I quite like the relationship agreement and would like to see it return!

It provides protection for Sheldon, who is secretly really insecure! and it is a prompt for them to sit down and discuss their relationship on a regular basis. It is also one of the things that makes their relationship quirky :)

• Like 6

I feel like Sheldon should be passed using the RA for his "protection". We're working with a less selfish and more mature Sheldon now. He would make sure it would benefit them both this time if it were to return.

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 6