[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

5 minutes ago, jlove said:

Or one of my favorite examples I watched the other night, from 307 The Guitarist Amplification:

SHELDON: STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU! ALL THIS FIGHTING, I MIGHT AS WELL BE BACK WITH MY PARENTS!! "DAMN IT, GEORGE, I TOLD YOU IF YOU DIDN'T QUIT DRINKING I'D LEAVE YOU!" "WELL, I GUESS THAT MAKES YOU A LIAR. CAUSE I'M DRUNK AS HELL AND YOU'RE STILL HERE!" "STOP YELLING! YOU'RE MAKING SHELDON CRY!" "I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S MAKING SHELDON CRY! THAT I LET YOU NAME HIM SHELDON!"

So sad...so in this one outburst (quite a show of emotion from an early-series Sheldon) we get a summarized glimpse of his childhood: his parents' strained marriage, the constant threat of divorce, an alcoholic insulting (verbally abusive?) father, a put-upon likely enabling mother, all while he is a young boy startlingly different from not only his family but EVERYONE else and we know he was ridiculed for that.

No wonder he had developed "maladaptive coping techniques" (kudos to whoever used that term, I couldn't find it when I skimmed back over earlier posts.)

He's had walls up to protect himself for a long time, and it's taken a long time for people to chip through them, but they slowly have, ever since Leonard's arrival, I think.  Penny helped immensely, but it wasn't until Amy that Sheldon himself picked up a pick and started working on bringing them down from the inside, too.  I think in 910 we finally get to see that he's broken through and found daylight on the other side, and the sun feels good on his face.

I love this!

• Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning peeps! Let me clear up and give a more in depth shamy reportings!   There were 2 takes of the second kiss... As they finish kissing the first time round. They break apart. Sheld

Ok fellow Shamies, I typed up this report on the plane home just now. I've just landed and have another hour or so until I'll be home, but I thought I'd post this at least for you all real quick.  Sor

Oh...I thought someone has already posted a TR? No? Ok. First of all, English is not my first language, so I may have misunderstood a lot of the lines. Please forgive me if the episode turns out

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Radar said:

This is getting ridiculous...here's mom behaving like a 5 year old girl on christmas eve, anxiously waiting for the next morning to find out if there is really the new dollhouse under the tree...or just a pair of socks from aunt Lizzi. :laugh:

Another mom right there with you.  I feel ridiculous, but I'm powerless to resist!  Lol!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jlove said:

Or one of my favorite examples I watched the other night, from 307 The Guitarist Amplification:

SHELDON: STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU! ALL THIS FIGHTING, I MIGHT AS WELL BE BACK WITH MY PARENTS!! "DAMN IT, GEORGE, I TOLD YOU IF YOU DIDN'T QUIT DRINKING I'D LEAVE YOU!" "WELL, I GUESS THAT MAKES YOU A LIAR. CAUSE I'M DRUNK AS HELL AND YOU'RE STILL HERE!" "STOP YELLING! YOU'RE MAKING SHELDON CRY!" "I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S MAKING SHELDON CRY! THAT I LET YOU NAME HIM SHELDON!"

So sad...so in this one outburst (quite a show of emotion from an early-series Sheldon) we get a summarized glimpse of his childhood: his parents' strained marriage, the constant threat of divorce, an alcoholic insulting (verbally abusive?) father, a put-upon likely enabling mother, all while he is a young boy startlingly different from not only his family but EVERYONE else and we know he was ridiculed for that.

No wonder he had developed "maladaptive coping techniques" (kudos to whoever used that term, I couldn't find it when I skimmed back over earlier posts.)

He's had walls up to protect himself for a long time, and it's taken a long time for people to chip through them, but they slowly have, ever since Leonard's arrival, I think.  Penny helped immensely, but it wasn't until Amy that Sheldon himself picked up a pick and started working on bringing them down from the inside, too.  I think in 910 we finally get to see that he's broken through and found daylight on the other side, and the sun feels good on his face.

This gives me chills. So beautiful. 

I don't understand why some people want Sheldon to stay the same. He's clearly not as cool or robotic as he claims to be and he's been that way since the very beginning. He needs love and care. Maybe the old Sheldon is funnier to watch. But if the show runs for 10 years, only ending with everyone else finding someone and Sheldon living alone, I'll feel very sad.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jlove said:

"I don't understand why some people want Sheldon to stay the same. He's clearly not as cool or robotic as he claims to be and he's been that way since the very beginning. He needs love and care. Maybe the old Sheldon is funnier to watch. But if the show runs for 10 years, only ending with everyone else finding someone and Sheldon living alone, I'll feel very sad.

Sheldon has always had feelings.  After all, he is human!  (albeit fictional)....But I agree, it would be sad if he were alone.

2 hours ago, anna said:

This happens to be my favorite topic :icon_redface: but to answer your question, I think only those who went could really be the judges of that! Kazzie said it was way more than the Shenny kiss! But referring to the levels of raunchiness or sweet Shamy innocence, I have no clue! These are my questions as well. Are they moving their mouths a lot, can you see that their mouths are open... it's crazy to think of Shamy like this! But also very exciting! :)

on another note... I already ran out likes for today! That's not good if something great happens tonight LOL

Kazzie definitely said they were moving their heads a lot.  Eeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Edited by jlove
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, jlove said:

All well said.  The one that got me that I never caught before was in The Herb Garden episode.

Sheldon's father actually cheated on Mary with a bottled blonde, and Sheldon had to contend with another woman trying to buy his affections, while his Mom turned deeply to religion to cope. 

Going back and re-watching the episodes has caused me to catch a lot of things I never saw before.    So, he had to deal with an alcoholic, his parent's marriage imploding, his siblings bullying him, broken bones, and having no friends.   

I  certainly get why the boy turned man had trust issues and turned inward to survive and cope through a fictional world the way he did, etc.    The only solid thing he had in his life was facts through science and knowledge, which proved to be successful enough for him to obtain three degrees and several awards.  

The structure he built around himself protected him.  Without it, I'm not sure he could have survived it.

Now I know some are going to say I'm being too sympathetic for Sheldon and excusing his jerk-like behavior.   Not at all, but I certainly understand what has made him tick the way he has and why he's been so out of sync with life around him.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, jlove said:

He's had walls up to protect himself for a long time, and it's taken a long time for people to chip through them, but they slowly have, ever since Leonard's arrival, I think.  Penny helped immensely, but it wasn't until Amy that Sheldon himself took up a pick and started working on bringing them down from the inside, too.  I think in 910 we finally get to see that he's broken through and found daylight on the other side, and the sun feels good on his face.

That's funny because it's a comedy show, but in real life it would be hell.
I still hope to see his father or his brother showing up before the end of the show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranger Rosa said:

That's funny because it's a comedy show, but in real life it would be hell.
I still hope to see his father or his brother showing up before the end of the show.

His father's dead, so unless it's something like they do with PP, that's not going to happen.  I would have thought his brother would come for the wedding, along with his sister.

Just now, A Shamy gal said:

His father's dead, so unless it's something like they do with PP, that's not going to happen.  I would have thought his brother would come for the wedding, along with his sister.

Yeah, as a ghost scaring him, or in a dream, talking about some issue (marriage, fear of being a father like him, or something else). But I guess it's not gonna happen in any way. :(

46 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Yes, but Dave also admitted that he is not exactly smart.   He didn't even realize his wife was cheating on him.   Apparently, Sheldon wasn't impressed with his question during the lecture, either.

Dave may have known about Sheldon the scientist, but perhaps he didn't know about FWF.    Also, not everyone has a FB page or messes with social networking.    Some people still do things the old-fashioned way, as if modern technology doesn't exist.  

I guess that's what the writers went with when they wrote it. Its not like them to make massive plotholes like that.

44 minutes ago, jlove said:

He's had walls up to protect himself for a long time, and it's taken a long time for people to chip through them, but they slowly have, ever since Leonard's arrival, I think.  Penny helped immensely, but it wasn't until Amy that Sheldon himself took up a pick and started working on bringing them down from the inside, too.  I think in 910 we finally get to see that he's broken through and found daylight on the other side, and the sun feels good on his face.

Still find it hard to watch that episode. Makes you wonder why Sheldon is more f***ed up if that was his upbringing. But then again he's never faced those childhood issues. Well until that outburst anyway. Its abit like the Spockumentary. It wasn''t just Amy that contributed to his outburst but also reliving those memories from school, the way his brothers treated him etc. and, like the Guitarist Amplification, it came out in an outburst and probably a few tears after.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jlove said:

This also reminds me of the episode with Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Sheldon tried to get back at Amy for ruining Raiders, because he remembered every time his dad stayed out all night, his mom would put hamster poop in his chewing tobacco. So from what he saw as a child, when two people in a relationship have conflicts, they seek revenage instead of communicating. But Amy told him they're not gonna be like his parents. She then apologized to Sheldon and made him feel better.

What I love about Amy is that, not only she understands Sheldon, but in circumstances like this, where Sheldon is traumatized or hurt from his past memories, Amy always has a way to comfort him and to turn those bad memories into good ones (another example would be her Christmas cookies). Amy is kind, patient, intellegent; but most importantly, she's caring and full of love. She really is the fabric softner of his heart.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Yeah, as a ghost scaring him, or in a dream, talking about some issue (marriage, fear of being a father like him, or something else). But I guess it's not gonna happen in any way. :(

I'd love to see a face off between Sheldon and his dad. Maybe a subconscious scene (like he has with Proton) but with his dad and he's dressed as  Darth Vadar or something and they talk it all out, Sheldon's fears of being a good husband, being a good dad etc. and Sheldon's dad talks about how he regretted a lot of things he did that saw when Sheldon was younger :cry:. I think a lot of his issues lie with his dads actions, I know we don't know the extent of his fathers actions but I doubt it was things young children should see.  

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, jlove said:

One of my favourite lines is "I'm drunk as hell and you're still here!"  - I laughed so hard and then felt bad about it :( Jim just delivered it so well!

When Sheldon and Leonard are playing Wii Archery (can't remember the episode!) Sheldon mentions his parents divorce, his Mother turned to religion and his father to a bottle blonde waitress who tried to buy his affection with super hero toys. So I was never sure if his parents split up and then got back together or if that was just another example of the writers having no clue what had been written previously?

I also get the vibe that George snr was violent, I don't think that was ever actually hinted at on the show, just the impression that I came away with :icon_neutral:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Geegor said:

Would that not be a bit hard for Jim though? His father's dead in real life so it if they did that it might upset him 

Jim's professional, I'm sure he would pretty much do just about anything they asked of him.  And after all the time these writers and actors have spent together, I believe that the writers would never go anywhere that might be hurtful to their cast members.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Geegor said:

Would that not be a bit hard for Jim though? His father's dead in real life so it if they did that it might upset him 

He's a pro. He surely has some training to don't mess up things about the show with his personal life, and has a great sense of humor, so I guess that if the writers want to do it, he wouldn't oppose.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Going back and re-watching the episodes has caused me to catch a lot of things I never saw before.    So, he had to deal with an alcoholic, his parent's marriage imploding, his siblings bullying him, broken bones, and having no friends.   

Didn't see your post before I spoke about this in my last post, he definitely said 'divorce' though not cheating but...

13 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

because he remembered every time his dad stayed out all night, his mom would put hamster poop in his chewing tobacco.

So do we think Sheldon's father was sleeping around or just out drunk all night?

If his father was having affairs it might explain somewhat his reluctance to have sex, he equates it to emotional pain and suffering? 

29 minutes ago, Geegor said:

It would be totally different though. Jim's dad was never like Sheldon's dad, from the information we know of him anyway. However Jim would tap into his actual lose of his father if the writers ever gave him an episode with Sheldon's dad. Abit like Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider, she as Lara Croft met her dad in a dream, Lara's dad being played by Angelina's real dad but the conversation was very real because it was between an actual daughter and father and that came through on screen, Which could happen to Jim as Sheldon (cept it won't be Jim's dad playing Sheldon but you get the point). 

That and Jim would be incredible professional, theres a fine line between acting real emotions and feeling real emotions. Jim would know how to get there for Sheldon without it effecting him as JIm. I mean Jim made it through that speech he gave Howard about Sheldon's dad in the episode where Mrs Wolowitz died, there was a an edge too it that almost felt like he was talking as Jim but there was still that element of Sheldon there. No doubt writers would probably have a talk with him prior to writing anything if they planned to go to such a dark place.

Plus sometimes it can be quite a healing thing to do. At the time my granddad died I was in a play where my character had a scene with my characters granddad and I felt it very healing to, to let it out through my acting. Jim might experience it like that.

It would give Jim his 5th emmy for sure though. Not saying he'd do it for that but it would, we'd see a side to him never seen before.

We've gone way WAY off topic btw guys :laugh: 

*waits for convo to move to Jim's thread*

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

When Sheldon goes to win her back he describes her as an ear worm in his heart and then they have a make out session in front of her date whilst he awkwardly tries to say goodbye. That sounds both funny and aww to me :)

I also thought moments like them negotiating how 'adult' their sleepover would be and them trying to adopt a turtle were really funny but maybe that's just me :) 

Indeed, it's sounds really awkwardly, dunno if it sounds funny, we will see. I try not to have big expectations before the episode, which seems to be great on paper, because You know how it is with expectations (but I must admit it's hard not to have big expectations before 9x10, really:). And before 18.12.2015 also:icon_cheesygrin:. it can be very, VERY good December:icon_cheesygrin:). I had big expectations about mentioned Fort episode, watched it once and forgot. I was very disappointed. The turtle ep... hm... I found slightly far-fetched and forced, but "awww..." indeed:). So, just me.

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

I get that for many people "vintage" Sheldon is funnier than the one presented in more recent seasons and they think that Amy has "ruined" the character. I like very much his evolution, instead, I think that keeping him the way he was could be boring for me to watch. There's nothing we can do to convince each other and to make the other side change their mind, the show has followed this road anyway....

It's always was for me too far-reaching conclusion that Amy ruined Sheldon's character. A little bit unfair, because it was well-planned character, with potential, what was shown many times. I've never seen a problem in her as a character, but elsewhere. And i don't try to convince anyone, though we are talking about subjective perceiving of the tv show characters, I only want to have fun from this conversation:).

wow jenafan... that was one hell of an essay there! I didn't want to quote... it takes up a lot of space. Just want to say... I agree. They have been making Sheldon more and more human since Leonard entered his life and, of course, the rest of the gang with Amy being (imo) the biggest influence of all. 

================================================================================

now to interrupt the conversation and give a lighter note to all the wonderful opinions being expressed :offtopic:

You know something wonderful is going to go down when Sheldon takes Amy's glasses off... ( can't guarantee that she will continue to wear cardigans as we have known her to all these years)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I wanted some time to come back to this post, and finally have had time to do so.   Sorry for the delay and for the long essay, but I have quite a bit to share on this matter.

You are exactly right.    When Sheldon reverted back to 2003, he began with the day before Leonard became his roommate because he realized that Leonard entering his life was the beginning of his evolution into a feeling human being.    [ Cut for length! ]

Yes! Everything you said here! Wonderful! :)

tumblr_nxomy65cy21rxlqn4o2_500.gif

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kelliluvtbbt said:

wow jenafan... that was one hell of an essay there! I didn't want to quote... it takes up a lot of space. Just want to say... I agree. They have been making Sheldon more and more human since Leonard entered his life and, of course, the rest of the gang with Amy being (imo) the biggest influence of all. 

================================================================================

now to interrupt the conversation and give a lighter note to all the wonderful opinions being expressed :offtopic:

You know something wonderful is going to go down when Sheldon takes Amy's glasses off... ( can't guarantee that she will continue to wear cardigans as we have known her to all these years)

Well she's still wearing one in the aquarium promo pics, so personally I'm still hoping for the sexy cardigan unbuttoning scene.  Seriously, that (ok, coupled with removing glasses...yes please), plus them stating wide-eyed and amazed at each other as they do these things would be enough lead in to coitus for me.  (Oh what the hell, let's get Jim's shirts off too, pretty please?  Before, or after in any case!)

Edited by jlove
  • Like 4

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic