The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I don't know, I think while we cannot make up new patterns of human behavior out of thin air, I also find it that it is extremely unimaginative to use the same ONE over and over again. Life is way more varied than the one type of on/off/on-again relationship that Hollywood keeps shoving down our throats. And there isn't just one single way to write a relationship. And, like I've said many times now, those types of relationships don't even exist in real life and I think it's a cop out to claim they do just to give some kind of credit to a Hollywood trope. There are tons of different ways to write a relationship and keep it interesting without resorting to romantic drama and I would like to see writers TRY harder than what they are. Not just these writers, writers in general. They are meant to be the most creative people and yet they always end up with the same one plot device. I always admired how Friday Night Lights wrote the Taylors: they were sassy, strong, interesting, had great personalities and their dynamic was just exquisite throughout the run of the show without having to resort to any relationship drama whatsoever. Monica and Chandler on Friends stayed together and for many people ended up eclipsing Ross and Rachel. I think wow is more versed in literature than I am, and she made some excellent points earlier about how in great literature either the quest was for the characters to fight through adversity to get together in the end permanently, or they were cautionary tales about how bad relationships. 

Also, I know this is a personal preference but, IMO, a major appeal of Shamy to me was their solidity. The fact that no matter what issue was thrown at them, they could work through it and stick together. It's so rare these days to see Hollywood send a message about a relationship that lasts and endures all difficulties, to the point that, apparently, people now think breakups are just part of the normal journey of a couple towards happiness. To be honest with you, yes, even freaking Kermit and Miss Piggy breaking up pissed me off! And I don't even watch the Muppets! I'm just tired of all these breakups every where, I don't find them realistic or poignant or interesting. I find them manipulative, dishonest, unrealistic and unoriginal. 

Now, I agree with you. It's still soon to say how this is going to play out with Shamy. It is still possible that this actually won't play out as a breakup at all, but rather just a REALLY rough patch that they need to get through. And that's fine with me. It's the concept of the "breakup" in and of itself that I have a massive issue with from a purely creative POV. And it doesn't matter if it's Mulder and Scully, Shamy, Kermit and Piggy, Leonard and Penny or Bill and Molaro. It just angers me more when there doesn't seem to be ONE solid couple standing in all of Hollywood's story telling these days. That they don't seem capable to send one message of people sticking together through adversity. It just resonates more to me and angers me more when it's even historical couples that get thrown into the pile of the "on/off/on-again" relationships, which all these three you mention fall into.

And Bill and Steve, of course. Dammit even he couldn't stick around and had to leave Steve for the Muppets!!!

I don't know, there are couples who go throug this on again/off again scenario, but yes, perhaps it is overused in Hollywood, but that's because it's perhaps the easiest or biggest type of conflict/resolution.  As the old Hollywood trope goes, "Boy meets girl, Boy loses girl, Boy gets girl" or however it goes.  We see that first romantic moment, something interferes, but in the end it's happily ever after.

I think that with any long-running TV show there's bound to be such issues.  I think that if either L/P or S/A were married, they might have rough patches, but they definitely wouldn't break up.  Just as Howard and Bernie have had some ups and downs getting used to married life, but havn't broken up, so I think it will or would be for Lenny and Shamy.  But as long as they're on the verge, there's always potential for things to get rough.

And further, I don't really consider any of these developments as being on again/off again.  Now, L/P went through that earlier, but I think that's more about Penny figuring out how she feels and letting others perhaps lead her down the wrong path (Wheaton!), and finally realizing that she should have never let Leonard go.  And really, neither of them ever really let the other go.  Even while Leonard was sleeping with Priya, he couldn't cut his ties with Penny, and, IMO, not just out of friendship.

And with Shamy, they've never been on-again/off-again.  This is their first real time to be "off" and their barely off.  And I suspect they won't really be "off".  If Amy broke it off with Sheldon out of frustration, not hatred or a lack of love, and was immediately questioning her action, then to me it's still more like a spat than a real break up, even if SHeldon feels broken up with.

But I do think that relationship turmoil, in whatever form it takes, is what is timeless and universal and always to be found.  Maybe it's a story-telling construct, but it plays on human emotions, just like Penny's reaction to Amy's fanfic--do they kiss? do they stay together? does she find out about Montana?

We're left on tenterhooks waiting for the resolution, and that's what writers have been writing about since the dawn of time.  And when it's a couple whose happiness we're invested in, it's that more suspenseful.

Whether or not a couple presents a united front through adversity probably depends on the sort of adversity that couple might face.  What kind of emotional or relational adversity could a bunch of college educated scientists and a pharma sales rep face?  They're not going off to war, they're not dealing with natural disasters or headstrong teenagers or whatever.

I think that the kind of "drama" a couple faces and how they face it depends on their environment, and also on whether or not the milieu of their story is drama or comedy.

Being comedy, A) these controversies are not likely to last long and will have happy resolutions, and, B ) they're more likely to be relationship issues built on misunderstandings between the players rather than outside influences that you typically have in dramas.

• Like 8

I don't know, there are couples who go throug this on again/off again scenario, but yes, perhaps it is overused in Hollywood, but that's because it's perhaps the easiest or biggest type of conflict/resolution.  As the old Hollywood trope goes, "Boy meets girl, Boy loses girl, Boy gets girl" or however it goes.  We see that first romantic moment, something interferes, but in the end it's happily ever after.

I think that with any long-running TV show there's bound to be such issues.  I think that if either L/P or S/A were married, they might have rough patches, but they definitely wouldn't break up.  Just as Howard and Bernie have had some ups and downs getting used to married life, but havn't broken up, so I think it will or would be for Lenny and Shamy.  But as long as they're on the verge, there's always potential for things to get rough.

And further, I don't really consider any of these developments as being on again/off again.  Now, L/P went through that earlier, but I think that's more about Penny figuring out how she feels and letting others perhaps lead her down the wrong path (Wheaton!), and finally realizing that she should have never let Leonard go.  And really, neither of them ever really let the other go.  Even while Leonard was sleeping with Priya, he couldn't cut his ties with Penny, and, IMO, not just out of friendship.

And with Shamy, they've never been on-again/off-again.  This is their first real time to be "off" and their barely off.  And I suspect they won't really be "off".  If Amy broke it off with Sheldon out of frustration, not hatred or a lack of love, and was immediately questioning her action, then to me it's still more like a spat than a real break up, even if SHeldon feels broken up with.

But I do think that relationship turmoil, in whatever form it takes, is what is timeless and universal and always to be found.  Maybe it's a story-telling construct, but it plays on human emotions, just like Penny's reaction to Amy's fanfic--do they kiss? do they stay together? does she find out about Montana?

We're left on tenterhooks waiting for the resolution, and that's what writers have been writing about since the dawn of time.  And when it's a couple whose happiness we're invested in, it's that more suspenseful.

Whether or not a couple presents a united front through adversity probably depends on the sort of adversity that couple might face.  What kind of emotional or relational adversity could a bunch of college educated scientists and a pharma sales rep face?  They're not going off to war, they're not dealing with natural disasters or headstrong teenagers or whatever.

I think that the kind of "drama" a couple faces and how they face it depends on their environment, and also on whether or not the milieu of their story is drama or comedy.

Being comedy, A) these controversies are not likely to last long and will have happy resolutions, and, B ) they're more likely to be relationship issues built on misunderstandings between the players rather than outside influences that you typically have in dramas.

Phanta, I do agree with what you're saying. But I think that what you're talking about here is relationship turmoil and rough times, rather than what I am having an issue with, which is the concept of "the breakup".

I am totally on board to see the couples hit some rough patches and turmoil here and there, even very big ones. I think rough patches test the strength of a bond more than happy times. It's easy to love when everything is peachy, not so much when things get tough. That's what I mean when I said the appeal of Shamy to me was their solidity. And I agree with you, like I said before, that it's too soon to tell what exactly is going to happen with Shamy. I think if this is played out as a rough patch, and, indeed, we see Amy struggle with a decision taken in the heat of the moment because Sheldon was up in her face, but she really didn't want to take, and Sheldon having to deal with the fact that some of his actions can have devastating consequences, that will be very interesting to see. I actually was talking earlier to others about how I'm glad that this "breakup" came the way it did, with Amy being pushed over the edge in a heated moment than by Amy calmly showing up at Sheldon's door to tell him she's thought things through and it's over. Because I feel like by writing it this way, the writers are kind of implying that this is not the outcome Amy really wanted. And maybe the fact that she had to take this decision on the spot and she made it, will clear her head because it might make her realize she actually DOES NOT want that. I think that could be very interesting to see, and a nice development. 

However, at the moment, we are still talking hypotheticals and I have to take all options into considerations. And knowing the track record of Hollywood writers, I think it's not illogical to worry about the fact that this is just a stalling tactic used to milk the story out for one more season. Or, cod forbid, an extension to season 11, 12, 13, 14 or whatever. That I don't find appealing at all. And if they make it all out to be about some fundamental issue about how Sheldon and Amy differently approach relationships, and about how one wants what the other can't or won't give, rather than miscommunication, then, realistically speaking, a breakup should be permanent. I frankly have never met someone IRL who broke up and got back together, I don't think it's very common at all. And given this path was followed by two couples already on the show, to do it a third time seems incredibly unimaginative. 

• Like 7

He mentioned dating that Mandy girl who Leonard kissed.. But only to get back to Amy. He also said it was farfetched.

It sounds like he is in a phase of grief were one is angry and seeking any type of revenge. Which is telling us he is really really hurting.

He also asked Penny out to get back at Amy when she went out with Stuart. So not new for Sheldon to threaten that. He is a vengeful little guy.

Now we can lament the breaking up trope as much as we want but look at the facts. In about 36ish hours this page has gone through 12 pages. For good or for ill people have posted a reaction to this latest development in the Shamy story. If the finale and premiere had been about Amy and Sheldon sharing a bran muffin, it would not generate this much interest. The writers have done their job and again for good or for ill have got your attention.

For Shamy to move forward Sheldon needed a catalyst to propel him forward. That's one hell of a catalyst! Even though Sheldon had an engagement ring, I would find it OOC for him to propose to Amy without something clobbering him over the head first. I can't think of a time when Sheldon has moved the relationship forward without someone telling him he needed to do it or for his own selfish purposes. If someone can please bring it to my attention.

• Like 3

With regards to the ring

IF Sheldon tells her he has an engagement ring how will Amy know or believe that he got it before they broke up, how will Amy be convinced it's true and not a ruse by Sheldon to make her come back

I even wonder if the prospect of the ring would make Amy change her mind immediately regardless of her reasons for breaking up with him or if she would stick to her original need of a break

• Like 1

With regards to the ring

IF Sheldon tells her he has an engagement ring how will Amy know or believe that he got it before they broke up, how will Amy be convinced it's true and not a ruse by Sheldon to make her come back

I even wonder if the prospect of the ring would make Amy change her mind immediately regardless of her reasons for breaking up with him or if she would stick to her original need of a break

That's true. She may think it's a ruse or that he is insincere. I don't think it's enough for her to go back unless there is something along the lines of an engagement agreement which would specify what is to be expected from two committed individuals and hold Sheldon accountable when he tries to pull a fast one.

• Like 2

Phanta, I do agree with what you're saying. But I think that what you're talking about here is relationship turmoil and rough times, rather than what I am having an issue with, which is the concept of "the breakup".

I am totally on board to see the couples hit some rough patches and turmoil here and there, even very big ones. I think rough patches test the strength of a bond more than happy times. It's easy to love when everything is peachy, not so much when things get tough. That's what I mean when I said the appeal of Shamy to me was their solidity. And I agree with you, like I said before, that it's too soon to tell what exactly is going to happen with Shamy. I think if this is played out as a rough patch, and, indeed, we see Amy struggle with a decision taken in the heat of the moment because Sheldon was up in her face, but she really didn't want to take, and Sheldon having to deal with the fact that some of his actions can have devastating consequences, that will be very interesting to see. I actually was talking earlier to others about how I'm glad that this "breakup" came the way it did, with Amy being pushed over the edge in a heated moment than by Amy calmly showing up at Sheldon's door to tell him she's thought things through and it's over. Because I feel like by writing it this way, the writers are kind of implying that this is not the outcome Amy really wanted. And maybe the fact that she had to take this decision on the spot and she made it, will clear her head because it might make her realize she actually DOES NOT want that. I think that could be very interesting to see, and a nice development. 

However, at the moment, we are still talking hypotheticals and I have to take all options into considerations. And knowing the track record of Hollywood writers, I think it's not illogical to worry about the fact that this is just a stalling tactic used to milk the story out for one more season. Or, cod forbid, an extension to season 11, 12, 13, 14 or whatever. That I don't find appealing at all. And if they make it all out to be about some fundamental issue about how Sheldon and Amy differently approach relationships, and about how one wants what the other can't or won't give, rather than miscommunication, then, realistically speaking, a breakup should be permanent. I frankly have never met someone IRL who broke up and got back together, I don't think it's very common at all. And given this path was followed by two couples already on the show, to do it a third time seems incredibly unimaginative. 

Well, I guess I find it hard to worry over hypotheticals when we have no evidence to support them.  Could Shamy's "breakup" become permanent?  I SINCERELY doubt it, simply because I feel it's clear that they're endgame, and, as you said, the breakup came in the heat of the moment, not in some cold, thought-through consideration.  Beyond that, I think it's a little pointless to speculate.

Now, if they have Amy decide that her decision was correct and that she needs to break up with SHeldon, then we can discuss the nature of such writing tropes in Hollywood.  Or, at least, I will wait to discuss such things when or if it actually happens.  This is kind of what I mean by the endless speculation.  "If they do this, then I'm not watching anymore!!" or whatever.  If they haven't yet done ______ (insert your most hated outcome), why torture oneself with the idea?  There's nothing that says that TBBT will go the way of this show or that show or this trope or that one.  If "it" happens, then we can all get out our tar and feathers and ride the writers out on a rail or whatever.

Until then, I think it's more interesting to think about what could be going through the characters' minds and how they might resolve it, based on what we ACTUALLY know.

Oh, as for people who broke up and got back together, um, my bro and his gf did that once or twice, until he finally gave her the boot for good this past year.  And my parents got divorced and then remarried (and they're doing well now.)

So, I think it depends on the nature of the breakup and the reasons and the people.  If someone's in a fit of pique and lashes out and calls it off (kind of how Amy did) or in Penny's case, feeling pressured, as she did in the bowling alley, I think that's different than when a couple has grown to resent each other and someone makes the decision that the relationship has run its course, or that it was never really there to begin with or whatever.

For L/P and S/A, the love is there and I think the desire to be together is there.  It's simply a matter of figuring out the details of how to do it.

• Like 3

THis is the season of break-ups.

Kermit and Miss Piggy

Sheldon and Amy

And if I could figure out how to do a spoiler tag, I'd add another couple... :)

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner

Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani

Just funnin' ya. :)

Well, this Shamy break-up is a whole "a push came to a shove" thing... so I'll stop getting angsty or else I'd go ca-razy. At this point I'll let everything unfold as it happens.

Both Sheldon and Amy pushed each other. Sheldon pushed Amy with all of that pestering and inappropriate statement substitutions. Amy pushed Sheldon emotionally, driving him desperate (in a way), confused, pained, in denial and angry.

• Like 2

Well, I guess I find it hard to worry over hypotheticals when we have no evidence to support them.  Could Shamy's "breakup" become permanent?  I SINCERELY doubt it, simply because I feel it's clear that they're endgame, and, as you said, the breakup came in the heat of the moment, not in some cold, thought-through consideration.  Beyond that, I think it's a little pointless to speculate.

Now, if they have Amy decide that her decision was correct and that she needs to break up with SHeldon, then we can discuss the nature of such writing tropes in Hollywood.  Or, at least, I will wait to discuss such things when or if it actually happens.  This is kind of what I mean by the endless speculation.  "If they do this, then I'm not watching anymore!!" or whatever.  If they haven't yet done ______ (insert your most hated outcome), why torture oneself with the idea?  There's nothing that says that TBBT will go the way of this show or that show or this trope or that one.  If "it" happens, then we can all get out our tar and feathers and ride the writers out on a rail or whatever.

Until then, I think it's more interesting to think about what could be going through the characters' minds and how they might resolve it, based on what we ACTUALLY know.

Oh, as for people who broke up and got back together, um, my bro and his gf did that once or twice, until he finally gave her the boot for good this past year.  And my parents got divorced and then remarried (and they're doing well now.)

So, I think it depends on the nature of the breakup and the reasons and the people.  If someone's in a fit of pique and lashes out and calls it off (kind of how Amy did) or in Penny's case, feeling pressured, as she did in the bowling alley, I think that's different than when a couple has grown to resent each other and someone makes the decision that the relationship has run its course, or that it was never really there to begin with or whatever.

For L/P and S/A, the love is there and I think the desire to be together is there.  It's simply a matter of figuring out the details of how to do it.

Fair enough, I think we just have a different approach. I'm of the "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" school of thought. Hence why I like to talk about hypotheticals. I much prefer expecting a terrible outcome and being delighted by the surprise than thinking it will all be ok only to be crushed. As for the Shamy breakup being permanent I didn't mean that I think it will become permanent. I meant that if it really came down to fundamental differences in what they want from their relationship, it is not realistic for it not to be permanent because it would fall into the category of "the relationship has run its course/it was never there to start with". I know the writers are going to put them back together, but to me why and what happens in between makes a massive difference to whether or not I'll buy it or be satisfied with it. If they start claiming that Amy had been unhappy all along and just waiting for the tide to turn or what have you, then I won't be happy. But, yes, I'm talking ifs and maybes, I'm aware of that. Just a different approach to yours. I'm not the zen kind of person at all ;)
  • Like 2

So your opinion of the relationship is that forever and ever Amy will have to clobber him over the head every time she wants things to move forward? Really? And that's what you enjoy shipping? That's the kind of boyfriend you think Amy deserves? Sheldon might not have moved the relationship forward actively until now but that doesn't mean he needs to be clobbered over the head in order to so so every single time. The fact that he bought an engagement ring in the first place without anyone telling him to, without needing to make up to Amy for anything and without Amy even really mentioning marriage before is not wanting to push the relationship forward without clobbering? The fact that he declared his love for her before she even could when she explicitly told him he didn't need to is not pushing the relationship forward? Asking her to stay longer despite his beloved rules and regulations and immediately agreeing to a sleepover despite the disruption to his routine isn't moving the relationship forward? Initiating a sex role play to show her that he is working on it isn't pushing the relationship forward? As for the posts in the thread, the posts increased because there's something to talk about because tapings have started. Shamy being happy doesn't generate interest? How about 4 million views in a month for that SIK that ended up all over the international press? How many views did their "breakup" scene get? Or coverage in the press? Yeah, not much.

Actually I said that Amy and Sheldon sharing a bran muffin would not generate this much interest, not if they were happy it would not generate much interest. But I guess if it's a really delicious bran muffin...

The engagement ring is there to show how committed Sheldon was to Amy and how devistating it was that it came to a break up. They could have done that whole scene without the ring, but it is more heartbreaking to see that Sheldon had the ring. Since he loves her and knows that they are eventually going to marry as social convention dictates he gets a ring. Funny thing is he will give her the ring after the break up. Clobber #1.

Sheldon declared his love for Amy. Of course he did. From Sheldon's point of view it was a given. Did he say it without any guidance from Amy. No. She started the conversation and he chimed in. Small clobber #2.

Sheldon stayed up late and agreed to a sleepover. Sheldon was enjoying the fort, date night was over, but he was having fun. He was benefitting from date night. She brought up the sleepover. He didn't. Clobber #3

D&D sex. His friends made him go in there to cheer her up. He wasn't going to on his own. She asked him about becoming physical, he said maybe. He did go through with it to help Amy. I'll give you partial credit. But he still needed to be told to go in there. Small clobber #4.

So yes, Amy and to an extent his friends are guiding if you don't like the word clobber towards a relationship. I do ship these two. This is the only show that I have seen taped ever, the only fan site I subscribe to and I even have a soft kitty T-shirt. It's mostly the fact that once Sheldon gets some sense knocked into him, he enjoys what he didn't see or want in the first place. So to me the magic is this guy and gal who never thought they would have a chance at love getting their chance. Yes happy Shamy sells, but you have to get them to the altar for the big ratings but first...clobber.

As for the boyfriend that Amy deserves, it's hard enough to be in a relationship with someone totally on the same page. To drag along a resistant partner is exhausting. Does she deserve this? No. Will Sheldon get to a point where he can appreciate her and talk things out logically? I sure hope so. These two are meant to be and will be reuniting soon. I hope it won't be at the expense of Amy's soul as she keeps dragging Sheldon up relationship hill.

• Like 2

Fair enough, I think we just have a different approach. I'm of the "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" school of thought. Hence why I like to talk about hypotheticals. I much prefer expecting a terrible outcome and being delighted by the surprise than thinking it will all be ok only to be crushed. As for the Shamy breakup being permanent I didn't mean that I think it will become permanent. I meant that if it really came down to fundamental differences in what they want from their relationship, it is not realistic for it not to be permanent because it would fall into the category of "the relationship has run its course/it was never there to start with". I know the writers are going to put them back together, but to me why and what happens in between makes a massive difference to whether or not I'll buy it or be satisfied with it. If they start claiming that Amy had been unhappy all along and just waiting for the tide to turn or what have you, then I won't be happy. But, yes, I'm talking ifs and maybes, I'm aware of that. Just a different approach to yours. I'm not the zen kind of person at all

;)

Well, I don't think that the writers would ever intend for Sheldon and Amy to have a relationship where they have irreconcilable fundamental differences in what they want.

I think the ongoing issue for them is their inexperience and Sheldon's difficulties, but I think that he's making that snail's progress.  He was openly enjoying "kissy face" Amy and wasn't embarrased to admit they'd been making out like hooligans under the bleachers.  Sheldon would never have admitted he liked such things when they first started dating.  Holding hands at the movies was a major deal to him.

So I think that their issues are not going to be about fundamental, insurmountable differences.  Sheldon has already said ILY and has said that he's working on the intimacy issue, and having bought a ring, he's obviously considering a wedding night...

How he eventually makes it to that point is part of his emotional, psychological, and physical journey.  Whether or not he's moving at the same speed as Amy, or can keep his head in the game when he should or whatever, may be an ongoing issue, but I don't think it's a matter of him being unable to have a fulfilling relationship with her--fulfilling for both of them.

Amy may simply have to work at reminding him that she has needs, too, and he has to keep working on his feelings and how to demonstrate them to her, and so on.

I don't think that either of them is completely right or wrong, but Amy certainly will bear the brunt of most of their differences, it seems.

As they say on Fiddler on the Roof, "You could die from such a man". :)

• Like 3

I still can't form a real judgement of the premiere as I haven't seen it, but I just really hope the breakup doesn't go past episode 3. I can think of a few ways the Shamy breakup can be resolved quickly with both characters learning something over it and understanding each other more. Like many i'd hate for it be dragged out and the ratings would probably suffer too if that happened...

• Like 2

Last season two days after first taping day SHAMY spoilers thread was on page 36

This season two days after first taping day SHAMY spoilers thread is on page 53 with 1314 posts.

Season 8 (24 episodes) total posts 14.660

Season 9 first episode posts 1.314

If we go on in this way, at the end of season 9 SHAMY spoilers thread will have.... more than 30.000 posts!!!!!.

All of us are in love with SHAMY!!!!!

• Like 3

Good vibe Susana and yes we can quibble what to call it...but we all do love Shamy!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner

Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani

Just funnin' ya. :)

Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady (they were so perfect together, but now it seems it's over. :icon_neutral: )

This list is becoming big and I think it'll be bigger till the end of the year!

When I read the TR: I was not expecting that the setting would be "few hours" after season finale... Of course as a Shamy fan, I was extra looking to all of Shamy scenes and I find it that the writers definitely made Sheldon intact of his character. But honestly I was expecting more of crazy shelly like the episode he had 25 cats. And I did watched the comic con forum Steve was in and again expecting about the ring. Sooo... I really have to lower expectations.

I'm sorry but I am happy that they didn't get back together already in episode one. For me if they do that, they are just rushing and not thinking. They need to communicate, that's the biggest problem as commented by most of the people here and I think that too. Also not forgetting this is a comedy with so much angst that it breaks our hearts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=951EJMA1HEI - this breaks my heart that both Jim and Mayim doesn't want Shamy to ever break up. Well, it was rather fun to watch especially now that they are officially broken up. 

In the video, Jim said that he believes Sheldon doesn't understand why he wanted Amy but Sheldon thinks it is better to have Amy than not. - This is amazing, this could actually be covered in this season, just Sheldon realizing why he wanted Amy, hopefully, and he might just might a bit understand what love is. And how painful it gets with the thought that he could lose Amy permanently.

Sorry again for blurting out all this blabber. 

• Like 5

I wonder now how the writer's would make this Shamy breakup different from typical break-ups we got from almost everything in the world of Television.

Honestly expecting a little less drama because this is SHAMY! Let's not forget that. They are one of the most stable relationship I have ever saw. Sheldon says I love you but doesn't mean Amy's allowed in her room, who does that when you're one and only is panicky and you still don't let her go to your room? Only Sheldon... 

Looking forward to TR of Ep 2.

Thank you, Jenafan. :)  And I totally agree. Your last paragraph reminds me of an earlier thought I had but never voiced. You basically already said it, but I think Penny's comment will come to play a factor in getting Shamy back in communication. I find her comment about Sheldon being a bad boyfriend and his stricken and angered reaction to it to be the most intriguing part of the whole episode, as least just from reading the reports. We have the juxtaposition of Sheldon receiving false information from Penny that Amy thinks he's a bad boyfriend and has been unhappy with him for awhile. I'm like many people here who firmly do not believe this to be Amy's true feelings. And at the mercy of the writers, I think it will possibly play out where Amy will find out and be aghast that she's been so misinterpreted when her true feelings are far from what's been said.

Perhaps when they finally come to speak again, Sheldon will be smarting and biting and sarcastically repeating what he thinks is her words, that he's a bad boyfriend. Maybe Amy will have a "whoa, whoa, whoa, I never said that" moment. He'll be all, "you didn't?" She will assure him that she didn't. He'll misinterpret this as him being a perfect boyfriend, because that's how he rolls. She'll be all, "Well, not exactly." And maybe that will segue into a mature discussion about why exactly she needed space, and why she was driven to break up. And we can get these two babies back to where they belong.

Because I think the most hilarious thing about all of this (and by hilarious, I mean excruciating) is that their problems are not malignant, irreparable, or even all that difficult to resolve. In fact, I think it would take a simple honest conversation and they would be 95% amazing. She doesn't know where he stands, she doesn't know if he wants a future with her, she'd like for him to be more sensitive and caring. Well, he has a remedy for all of those things!

Not that I think the break up is bad. That's what the writers gave us, it's what I accept. I think they care for these characters as much as we do. Like I said, I am optimistic that Shamy will come out of this with an even better appreciation and love for each other. Because let's face it - as good as they've been up until this point, they still had some flaws. Amy trying to mold him into a fairytale boyfriend mold and getting frustrated when he can't fit, not asking the tough questions, and burying her head in the sand. And Sheldon doing one thing and saying another, letting his ego get the better of him, his graceless manner of handling challenge, and his overall taking Amy for granted. These are all things I see being worked on and resolved by the time the whole thing's said and done.

That being said, for the sake of these characters, do I think a break up is overkill? I do. As someone who really wants to see Amy get justice and see all these little problems get resolved, I think it could be done and done well without resorting to a breakup. It's always been my hopes that they wouldn't take Shamy down this path because I never thought it was needed and because I've seen it a thousand times before. But, as I am the type to roll with the punches, I am going to enjoy it to the full capacity and think of that sweet, sweet moment of reconciliation. For all our suffering and patience, I think we should be rewarded with a smolderingly hot kiss with his hands on her cheeks and a long hold-on-for-dear-life, I'll-never-leave-you-again hug. Someone please take the keyboard away from me.

Yes again to ALL of this :) 

• Like 4

That's true. She may think it's a ruse or that he is insincere. I don't think it's enough for her to go back unless there is something along the lines of an engagement agreement which would specify what is to be expected from two committed individuals and hold Sheldon accountable when he tries to pull a fast one.

If produces the ring now, I highly doubt she would think he was sincere.  I'm not even sure something like an engagement agreement would enough to convince her at the moment. 

I'm still finding it strange that there was no mention of the RA.  Have they both forgotten it?  Or do we expect her to present the signed termination section to him in the next episode to make it official?

I think the only way Amy would know he got the ring before the break up is if Sheldon showed her the receipt of the day he got it but idt that will be shown anyhow

The relationship agreement is the least thing on their minds at the moment!

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 2

I think the only way Amy would know he got the ring before the break up is if Sheldon showed her the receipt of the day he got it but idt that will be shown anyhow

The relationship agreement is the least thing on their minds at the moment!

Or he told her that his Mum brought it from Meemaw when she and Leonard's Mum were visiting :) .

I don't think Amy will produce the signed RA - but I do think heartbroken Sheldon might take it too her - thinking that's what she wants - to give it to her, doing the right thing by the rules ?!!, for her to not sign and tell him as someone else suggested that , the break up decision was made in haste , that she needs thinking time etc etc then they either have the talk we all want or agree a time frame for the "break" and a talk date for the future ?!!.

i don't know I'm guessing here .....hoping for the best least angst outcome :) 

• Like 2