The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I think the only way Amy would know he got the ring before the break up is if Sheldon showed her the receipt of the day he got it but idt that will be shown anyhow

The relationship agreement is the least thing on their minds at the moment!

If Sheldon shows up in her apartment with the termination section to be signed, I think we will witness the first murder on TBBT...

• Like 6

If Sheldon shows up in her apartment with the termination section to be signed, I think we will witness the first murder on TBBT...

I suppose it depends on whether it leads to them having a deep conversation that helps bring them back together.   But yes...if it just is cold, sign, sealed, delivered kind of thing...and both act like that's it...then yes..I agree.  But I have a hard time believing that Amy is there yet.  I think she regrets her outburst to Sheldon already (based on what the TR said) and I am hoping that means that they somehow find a way back to have a discussion and through that they lead to more conversation and can talk more rationally and reasonably to each other to get to the crux of their issues and then work on a plan to resolve them together.

• Like 4

I can so see Amy rushing back to Los Robles after the date she was sent on by her mother, thinking she was going to find Penny, drink a large glass of Sauvingon Blanc with her and cry about the date her mother sent her on with this supposed 'perfect' guy, only to find, as Koops and Redrose have said, Sheldon occupying 4B, doing something geeky with Leonard and realising how much she loves Sheldon in that moment. Leonard could be helping him finish his lego Death Star, and it reminds her of the cake she made for him with Bernie, and goes over to join them. After a while, Penny looks over and says to Leonard, 'Sweetie, didn't we have to do...?' and they leave them to it...talking and reconcilation follow!

• Like 3

I've been thinking a bit, and in terms of the ring, I don't think I want Amy to know about it until after they reconcile.

If she knows about the ring it could sway her decision, and I'd rather her get back together with him (words I never thought I'd have to type/say) because she loves him, not because she's swept up in the idea of getting married.

Hopefully Sheldon doesn't use it as a tactic to get her back either. I'm fine with him confessing he loves her and wants to be with her for a long time, or saying he doesn't like his life when she's not in it, but I don't want him to be like "I bought a ring - see?".

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's how I feel.

I've been thinking a bit, and in terms of the ring, I don't think I want Amy to know about it until after they reconcile.

If she knows about the ring it could sway her decision, and I'd rather her get back together with him (words I never thought I'd have to type/say) because she loves him, not because she's swept up in the idea of getting married.

Hopefully Sheldon doesn't use it as a tactic to get her back either. I'm fine with him confessing he loves her and wants to be with her for a long time, or saying he doesn't like his life when she's not in it, but I don't want him to be like "I bought a ring - see?".

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's how I feel.

Yes i feel the same. It would feel cheap if that happened. I want the ring to be given to her a while after they reconcile.

• Like 2

May be in minority but hope break lasts longer then 5-6 eps. Proper break is needed. Sheldon needs to kno wat it feels like to lose someone on a  long term basis. Or i feel he gets her back, he well fall into the same routine of taking her for granted, and not making her a priority. And Amy needs to stop being so passive agressive, tell Sheldon why your angry, hes not a mind reader. Sheldon understands logic, not emotion. How does Sheldon know what she wants, if she doesent. Anyway i think they well be fine, in the long run, unless its a permenent break then well what your gonna do lol. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

I come after the big week, I had not access at the internet in my vacation location after 12th morning.
I will read all your posts after having posted my first impression about the first episode.

After reading the report of the chat I was upset by this episode and the break up. But when I read the taping report, and after some days of thinking of it, I find it is  a logical continuity with the end of season 8.

I think Amy's decision to break up with him is spontaneus, because he was again exhausting with her, only some hours after her decision to take a step back, instead of talk properly of their problem in their relationship.

I only hope Sheldon will fight for her !! And show she is important to him. Maybe the break-up is necessary for them to work their communication and build a new good relationship. But I will be very disappointed if one of the shamy will date someone else. And I really hope they will go back together quickly after talking (or after a passionate make-out, and talking next. :D)

And, Lenny are married (I am disappointed about that too) and the story with the girl who works again with Leonard is a weird storyline. And if they are married and don't cancel their wedding I supposed they will soon live together.
A lot of things to do about Sheldon's situation. We will see.

And thank you Kazzie for the report. I understand you were upset about Bill's tweet but as some others said, he doesn't know that you (and others in the forum) help a lot of people to go to the taping. Don't take his tweet personally. He only wants a maximum of fans can go one time if they want, and he doesn't know the "behind the scene" here (the solidarity of the fan base here).
  • Like 4

I've been thinking a while now, on how this rather unhealthy Relationship-Problem between Sheldon and Amy could have been resolved. Although Sheldon has evolved a great deal last season, their relationship still seemed somewhat static und certainly one-sided. Everyone who's experienced unrequited love, knows how Amy must have felt all those years. Always wondering whether Sheldon would ever love her the way she's loving him. And even if he does, will he ever be able or willing to get past his issues in order to make her happy. The writers made clear to us on several occasions, how much Amy means to him. Still Amy doesn't have that insight. She can't be sure.

If you're in love with someone, like Amy is with Sheldon, you'll happily put your pride aside. You'll take what you get. There's even pleasure to be found in this sort of pain. in Amy's and Sheldon's relationship, Amy is the pusher. This must be very frustrating for her, yet seems to be the only way for them to evolve. Sheldon doesn't like it and he always tells her. I guess Amy always thought that Sheldon was enjoying their intimacy, once he got used to it. His distraction during the kiss in 8.24 must have brutally made clear to her, that Sheldon doesn't share the same feelings she has . When you're in love with someone and busy making out, you think about the feeling in your stomach, your lightheadedness, the feel of the others lips, the softness of skin, etc. p.p... Well, this is what Amy must have felt. Realizing that Sheldon didn't seem to feel that way must have been heart-crushing. Yes, she knows Sheldon is different but she always hoped he would get there eventually.

I think after all the frustration and stinging words Amy had to endure the past years, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. The (seeming) truth slapped her in the face: Sheldon would never be able to feel the way she hoped. At least that would be what I would think. It's understandable that Amy needs time to figure out whether she would be able to stay with him forever, even if he doesn't love her the way she deserves.

I truely believe this thunderstorm, in form of separation, is neccesary to "clear the air". In terms of intimacy, Sheldon's been moving so very slow over the past years, that his evolution during season 8 almost seemed OOC.
Now, what would you do as a writer? A big bang (pun intended) is probably the best way to push Sheldon into doing things, that would seem OOC otherwise.

Well, now I've basically just repeated what everyone else said. I'm not sorry...

On a personal note. I've been devastated when Amy wanted a break. Reading the TR broke my heart. I know things will come full circle. The writers are following their own secret agenda. I think if we already knew if Sheldon and Amy ended up together, we would surely appreciate the drama.

It will be ok! (or so I keep telling myself frantically)

they say that

nothing is wasted:

either that

or

it all is.

(Charles Bukowski)

• Like 6

That's true. She may think it's a ruse or that he is insincere. I don't think it's enough for her to go back unless there is something along the lines of an engagement agreement which would specify what is to be expected from two committed individuals and hold Sheldon accountable when he tries to pull a fast one.

Weren't we supposed to know about that rign during the premiere ?

I guess one way to make her believe he had it since before the break-up would be if Mary brought it from Meamaw's (yeah ... one can dream, let me dream for a while please!!!! ).

• Like 3

I don't know how I want them to arrive there, but I want Sheldon and Amy to find themselves alone at some point, maybe she's going to see Penny as Sheldon is about to leave for the comic book store and he tells her that Leonard and Penny have gone out to dinner or something.

They have an awkward but civil moment in the hallway, not sure how to treat each other, but then he maybe offers her a warm beverage and she agrees.

They sit in awkard silence a moment on the couch (or at the island) and then Sheldon addresses the tweepadok in the room, speaking in a very humbled, maybe hurt, but still Sheldony way.  Little by little they open up and begin to address the issues at hand.

She says that she needs reassurance that when they're together he's thinking about her, or that he really does value her more that his TV shows, etc..

He agrees to try harder to make her a priority, but maybe he asks her to communicate these things to him as they happen, rather than blowing up at him.

I don't know that I want him to reveal the fact that he got a ring.  I agree that it might make Amy gloss over what's bothering her if she gets caught up in the idea of marriage.

But I do want them to have a quiet, frank, and ultimately sweet conversation together, without the direct influence of their friends, and to work it out themselves.

I do think that it might be interesting, though, to see how the gang splits along these fault lines.  Maybe girls vs boys, or whatever.  We do know that both Penny and Bernie have made comments about Sheldon and how Amy might be better off elsewhere.  Maybe they try to console her with such talk, maybe even taking her out on a girls night binge to see if she could find another man.  But of course she wouldn't, even if she let the girls tart her up for the evening or something.  Just as she found Zack to be physically attractive, but too stupid to even talk to, I think she would be comparing every guy to Sheldon, wether she wanted to or not.  He's her yardstick when it comes to boyfriends, IMO.

And maybe the guys would try to do a "bros before hos) thing with Sheldon, or sit around griping about women.

In that case, I can see the breakup lasting another two episodes or so.  But I think it should be clear that neither of them really wants to move on, even if they're miffed at each other for the moment.

And in the end, they have that quiet conversation and end up going back to kissing like hooligans under the bleachers. :)

Yes this is perfect :) 

• Like 1

Phantagrae, I hope you (inspire somebody to) write a fanfiction about it. :-)

Oh yeah !!!

I guess the next batch of fanfictions will be interesting!

1bf159032cdc7b7ef16a4e7aab0843e6.gif

• Like 1

Ok, I need to get this off my chest ! - I wonder why Mayim said " just because Amy is taking "time off" from Sheldon, doesn't mean they are broken up "...... This has bothered me since the TR. 

Do we think the writers changed things after the script was given to the actors ?

Do we think it is a two part premier ?

Do we think it was all a dream sequence ?........I know I know this is crazy and not plausible !!!!!

I just can't see Mayim lying about it ....

Hmmmmm , I think , I am thinking about this way too much !

Edited by Soopysue
  • Like 2

Ok, I need to get this off my chest ! - I wonder why Mayim said " just because Amy is taking "time off" from Sheldon, doesn't mean they are broken up "...... This has bothered me since the TR. 

Do we think the writers changed things after the script was given to the actors ?

Do we think it is a two part premier ?

Do we think it was all a dream sequence ?........I know I know this is crazy and not plausible !!!!!

I just can't Mayim lying about it ....

Hmmmmm , I think , I thinking about this way too much !

Mayim was saying that after the finale, before she got the script for the new season premiere so yeah she didn't know this was coming anymore than we did. And the writers always tweak lines and jokes during the production of an episode but the idea of an episode stays the same, more or less.

• Like 2

Mayim was saying that after the finale, before she got the script for the new season premiere so yeah she didn't know this was coming anymore than we did. And the writers always tweak lines and jokes during the production of an episode but the idea of an episode stays the same, more or less.

No, Soopysue is talking of a post Mayim made in her blog soon after they got the script of 9.1. She also said that the premiere was a "funny" episode; actually, "funny" is not the most used word by those who attended the taping...Maybe "fun" to act, but the persons who where there thought that it was a "sad" episode overall.

I agree with you, Soopysue, the tone of that post was really different from what we got, but some posters here often tell that  Mayim prospective over an episode or a plot is sometimes very peculiar and different from the fans one.  I think however that would be strange that the entire plot changed to the point of adding a break-up all at once...The ring is also a mystery to me, it was said more than once that we would know about it in the premiere. Even if it is a two-part episode, the premiere is just the first one hired...We will see, but I guess they changed their minds or, more likely, they were just  advertising!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 2

No, Soopysue is talking of a post Mayim made in her blog soon after they got the script of 9.1. She also said that the premiere was a "funny" episode; actually, "funny" is not the most used word used by those who attended the taping...Maybe "fun" to act, but the persons who where there thought that it was a "sad" episode overall.

I agree with you, Soopysue, the tone of that post was really different from what we got, but some posters here often tell that  Mayim prospective over an episode or a plot is sometimes very peculiar and different from the fans one.  I think however that would be strange that the entire plot changed to the point of adding a break-up all at once...The ring is also a mystery to me, it was said more than once that we would know about it in the premiere. Even if it is a two-part episode, the premiere is just the first one hired...We will see, but I guess they changed their minds or, more likely, they were just  advertising!

Oh then I guess I misunderstood. My bad. But Mayim is a pretty quirky person so it's not surprising that she'd have a different opinion on the episode. But yeah I guess she could also just be trying to get people pumped up for the premiere. Actor often do press stuff where they talk about how great their project is no matter what they actually thought about it. I'm not Mayim so I dunno if she's lying or not so yeah...

But even though Mayim already had the script of 9x01, that changes nothing about the fact, that Shamy was on a break and not broken up at the point of time she was refering to.

Thar's true...I was not saying that she lied on purpose in the her post, I was just saying that the way an actor sees a script is very different from a fan's one, so her tone was sort of enthusiastic and made me think that something "good" and "funny" was coming. I think, instead, that  maybe the "ring" spoiler was a bit of advertising and less "true"...

• Like 1

Thar's true...I was not saying that she lied on purpose in the her post, I was just saying that the way an actor sees a script is very different from a fan's one, so her tone was sort of enthusiastic and made me think that something "good" and "funny" was coming. I think, instead, that  maybe the "ring" spoiler was a bit of advertising and less "true"...

it's a tricky one , I thought she was referring to the "time off " not broken up in S9 01 ....plus the "funny" comments , it's odd that's all :) .

I felt so relieved after reading her views, that the TR was an even bigger shock !!!!

Anyway .....

• Like 1

If you're in love with someone, like Amy is with Sheldon, you'll happily put your pride aside. You'll take what you get. There's even pleasure to be found in this sort of pain. in Amy's and Sheldon's relationship, Amy is the pusher. This must be very frustrating for her, yet seems to be the only way for them to evolve. Sheldon doesn't like it and he always tells her. I guess Amy always thought that Sheldon was enjoying their intimacy, once he got used to it. His distraction during the kiss in 8.24 must have brutally made clear to her, that Sheldon doesn't share the same feelings she has . When you're in love with someone and busy making out, you think about the feeling in your stomach, your lightheadedness, the feel of the others lips, the softness of skin, etc. p.p... Well, this is what Amy must have felt. Realizing that Sheldon didn't seem to feel that way must have been heart-crushing. Yes, she knows Sheldon is different but she always hoped he would get there eventually.

I think after all the frustration and stinging words Amy had to endure the past years, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. The (seeming) truth slapped her in the face: Sheldon would never be able to feel the way she hoped. At least that would be what I would think. It's understandable that Amy needs time to figure out whether she would be able to stay with him forever, even if he doesn't love her the way she deserves.

I truely believe this thunderstorm, in form of separation, is neccesary to "clear the air". In terms of intimacy, Sheldon's been moving so very slow over the past years, that his evolution during season 8 almost seemed OOC.
Now, what would you do as a writer? A big bang (pun intended) is probably the best way to push Sheldon into doing things, that would seem OOC otherwise.

Well, now I've basically just repeated what everyone else said. I'm not sorry...

On a personal note. I've been devastated when Amy wanted a break. Reading the TR broke my heart. I know things will come full circle. The writers are following their own secret agenda. I think if we already knew if Sheldon and Amy ended up together, we would surely appreciate the drama.

It will be ok! (or so I keep telling myself frantically)

they say that

nothing is wasted:

either that

or

it all is.

(Charles Bukowski)

Firstly, welcome to the boards! I promise you I'm usually nicer than this.

So I want to be careful here when responding, because I do believe that the show has, several times, in the course of Seasons Six and Seven, given us an impression of a very frustrated and sad Amy. I spent much of Seasons Six and Seven screaming at Amy to leave. Leave, and never come back.

Because here is the issue: if Amy is truly unhappy in a relationship with Sheldon, I wouldn't root for Sheldon to come around and give her what she wants. I would root- as I did in Seasons Six and Seven- for Amy to find her backbone and leave, never to return.

I have seen several posters on this forum say 'She's miserable, but she stays because she loves him.' Does she? Does she truly love a man if she does not believe he can give her what she wants, without breaking himself down and remaking himself? What sort of love is that?

And if she is miserable but stays because of some delusion she calls love, what is admirable about that? Why is that behaviour to support and cherish, instead of stamping out? And there is also, by the way, something rather insidious about this idea of the self-sacrificing martyr Amy. It bears examination. Amy had an exasperating boyfriend. He was selfish, immature and inflexible. All true, and all known to Amy when she became his girlfriend. She had it literally in writing. Now, I'm not blaming her for thinking she could hack it in a relationship with Sheldon, and then discovering that it was harder than she thought. She's only human. But equally, it is unfair to blame Sheldon for possessing faults of which you had abundant proof before you entered into a relationship. It is unfair to string together your sacrifices, one by one, make a daisy chain of debts that Sheldon never asked for, and hang them like a millstone around his neck. That is not admirable behaviour, I am afraid. And I get very twitchy when the show assumes that Sheldon has an obligation to give Amy what she wants (however grudgingly or belatedly), simply because she wants something from him and has gone without.

And, incidentally, that sense of obligation was always there. Amy continually pressured Sheldon about intimacy and sex, throughout Seasons Six and Seven, and-especially in Season 7- Sheldon seemed very aware of this pressure, and very anxious about it. Anxious because he felt a sense of obligation, Guilty because he couldn't 'step up' when required, angry because he was expected to perform something that he had never promised to do, and didn't feel comfortable performing right then.

Now, Sheldon's not a saint or a dupe, by any means. I've wanted to throttle him many a time. And there were plenty of times-especially in Season 7- when I wondered whether he really was stringing along Amy, extracting care from her with the promise of eventual intimacy.

BUT I can't really go along with it very far when people exclaim 'Oh, poor Amy. She sacrificed herself because she loves Sheldon.'

Because there is always, always something suspect about self-sacrifice. Bernard Shaw says 'Self-sacrifice enables us to sacrifice others without blushing.' And sometimes I think that the show- and Amy- implicitly believed that Amy was entitled to the sacrifice of Sheldon's personhood, because she had sacrificed hers. She had gone from being the eccentric, venturesome, hyperverbal goofball of Seasons 4 and 5 to the handwringing sadsack of Season Six. 'Run', I used to think, looking at her. 'Sheldon will never make you happy, and you, you poor limp dishcloth of a woman, why do you think you could ever make him happy?'

His distraction during the kiss in 8.24 must have brutally made clear to her, that Sheldon doesn't share the same feelings she has . When you're in love with someone and busy making out, you think about the feeling in your stomach, your lightheadedness, the feel of the others lips, the softness of skin, etc. p.p... Well, this is what Amy must have felt. Realizing that Sheldon didn't seem to feel that way must have been heart-crushing. Yes, she knows Sheldon is different but she always hoped he would get there eventually.I think after all the frustration and stinging words Amy had to endure the past years, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. The (seeming) truth slapped her in the face: Sheldon would never be able to feel the way she hoped. At least that would be what I would think. It's understandable that Amy needs time to figure out whether she would be able to stay with him forever, even if he doesn't love her the way she deserves.

Now, this is interesting, because my take on the kiss was completely different. I thought it was extremely obvious that he was into the kiss. Amy's inexperience may lead her to overreact to his dumb comment about The Flash, but, as you say, Amy doesn't see what we see.

As to whether Sheldon doesn't love Amy the way she deserves: hmmmmmm. Sheldon has let his boundaries down for Amy in a way he not only never did for anyone else, but never thought he could do. He makes elaborate pretexts about punishing her to give her beautiful, thoughtful gifts on Christmas day. He gives her thoughtful, personal, quirky gifts representing life, fecundity and longevity, like the mushroom log- gifts she mocks and derides. He has proclaimed-proclaimed, mark you- his love for her, with warmth and sincerity. He is so distraught by her break from him that he may genuinely never recover.

Where I agree with you is that he needs to think more when including her in his plans- the Mars Colonisation episode, for example. Amy was right to be angry about that, and reacted in the adult, sensible way I actually like so much about her sometimes. She clearly said what was wrong, he saw what he had done and made amends immediately.

And last but not least: we know that, in a very real and permanent way, Sheldon sees a future with Amy.

I think Sheldon loves Amy to the very best of his ability. If Amy feels she doesn't deserve it, then that is her prerogative. In that case, there is no use trying to alter Sheldon fundamentally to get the love she deserves. She deserves better than that, and so does Sheldon.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 8

Firstly, welcome to the boards! I promise you I'm usually nicer than this.

So I want to be careful here when responding, because I do believe that the show has, several times, in the course of Seasons Six and Seven, given us an impression of a very frustrated and sad Amy. I spent much of Seasons Six and Seven screaming at Amy to leave. Leave, and never come back.

Because here is the issue: if Amy is truly unhappy in a relationship with Sheldon, I wouldn't root for Sheldon to come around and give her what she wants. I would root- as I did in Seasons Six and Seven- for Amy to find her backbone and leave, never to return.

I have seen several posters on this forum say 'She's miserable, but she stays because she loves him.' Does she? Does she truly love a man whom she does not believe can give her what she wants, without breaking himself down and remaking himself? What sort of love is that?

And if she is miserable but stays because of some delusion she calls love, what is admirable about that? Why is that behaviour to support and cherish, instead of stamping out? And there is also, by the way, something rather insidious about this idea of the self-sacrificing martyr Amy. It bears examination. Amy had an exasperating boyfriend. He was selfish, immature and inflexible. All true, and all known to Amy when she became his girlfriend. She had it literally in writing. Now, I'm not blaming her for thinking she could hack it in a relationship with Sheldon, and then discovering that it was harder than she thought. She's only human. But equally, it is unfair to blame Sheldon for possessing faults of which you had abundant proof before you entered into a relationship. It is unfair to string together your sacrifices, one by one, make a daisy chain of debts that Sheldon never asked for, and hang them like a millstone around his neck. That is not admirable behaviour, I am afraid. And I get very twitchy when the show assumes that Sheldon has an obligation to give Amy what she wants (however grudgingly or belatedly), simply because she wants something from him and has gone without.

And, incidentally, that sense of obligation was always there. Amy continually pressured Sheldon about intimacy and sex, throughout Seasons Six and Seven, and-especially in Season 7- Sheldon seemed very aware of this pressure, and very anxious about it. Anxious because he felt a sense of obligation, Guilty because he couldn't 'step up' when required, angry because he was expected to perform something that he had never promised to do, and didn't feel comfortable performing right then.

Now, Sheldon's not a saint or a dupe, by any means. I've wanted to throttle him many a time. And there were plenty of times-especially in Season 7- when I wondered whether he really was stringing along Amy, extracting care from her with the promise of eventual intimacy.

BUT I can't really go along with it very far when people exclaim 'Oh, poor Amy. She sacrificed herself because she loves Sheldon.'

Because there is always, always something suspect about self-sacrifice. Bernard Shaw says 'Self-sacrifice enables us to sacrifice others without blushing.' And sometimes I think that the show- and Amy- implicitly believed that Amy was entitled to the sacrifice of Sheldon's personhood, because she had sacrificed hers. She had gone from being the eccentric, venturesome, hyperverbal goofball of Seasons 4 and 5 to the handwringing sadsack of Season Six. 'Run', I used to think, looking at her. 'Sheldon will never make you happy, and you, you poor limp dishcloth of a woman, why do you think you could ever make him happy?'

His distraction during the kiss in 8.24 must have brutally made clear to her, that Sheldon doesn't share the same feelings she has . When you're in love with someone and busy making out, you think about the feeling in your stomach, your lightheadedness, the feel of the others lips, the softness of skin, etc. p.p... Well, this is what Amy must have felt. Realizing that Sheldon didn't seem to feel that way must have been heart-crushing. Yes, she knows Sheldon is different but she always hoped he would get there eventually.

Now, this is interesting, because my take on the kiss was completely different. I thought it was extremely obvious that he was into the kiss. Amy's inexperience may lead her to overreact to his dumb comment about The Flash, but, as you say, Amy doesn't see what we see.

As to whether Sheldon doesn't love Amy the way she deserves: hmmmmmm. Sheldon has let his boundaries down for Amy in a way he not only never did for anyone else, but never thought he could do. He makes elaborate pretexts about punishing her to give her beautiful, thoughtful gifts on Christmas day. He gives her thoughtful, personal, quirky gifts representing life, fecundity and longevity, like the mushroom log- gifts she mocks and derides. He has proclaimed-proclaimed, mark you- his love for her, with warmth and sincerity. He is so distraught by her break from him that he may genuinely never recover.

Where I agree with you is that he needs to think more when including her in his plans- the Mars Colonisation episode, for example. Amy was right to be angry about that, and reacted in the adult, sensible way I actually like so much about her sometimes. She clearly said what was wrong, he saw what he had done and made amends immediately.

And last but not least: we know that, in a very real and permanent way, Sheldon sees a future with Amy.

I think Sheldon loves Amy to the very best of his ability. If Amy feels she doesn't deserve it, then that is her prerogative. In that case, there is no use trying to alter Sheldon fundamentally to get the love she deserves. She deserves better than that, and so does Sheldon.

I agree with Musickat and this post...but I wanted to add that I also believe Sheldon does feel about Amy many of the things she feels for him, but he is one scared puppy.   Let's face it...not many men are virgins still in mid-30's.   He has to be scared to death, especially given his germ phobia.  So yes...I do think he has sexual arousal for her, does find her appealing, does want to make love to her, but is scared to death so he uses language and tactics to avoid the subject and he pretty much admitted he wasn't there yet.  It isn't that he isn't there physically as much as he has a huge fear he has to overcome.  Eventually his desire for her will outweigh the fear and that is when things will move toward a more physically intimate direction.  But, they truly do need to have a long conversation because we know Sheldon came with hang-ups and baggage entering into this and she was well aware of all of those.   

She has done a great job of probing him just the right time, and sadly she "gave up" too rashly this one time because she was about to get that commitment she wanted.   I think in Sheldon's mind, he wants to have her be totally committed to him (as in married) so that when they do make love the first time and if it isn't all that she had hoped, he knows they are committed and will still work on it.  I think he is fearful of having it outside of that kind of commitment because he is afraid she could run at any time and now with this rash break-up from her, it may scare him even more.   

It will be interesting to see how they unfold this...but we all know communication is key here.   I think once they have a chance to hash things out verbally, they will find a happy medium and happy place again to move forward.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 6

Hello, fellow newb to this forum here. :)

First I'd like some clarification on what you mean by their "unhealthy relationship problem". Of course no relationship is perfect and there are admittedly some issues in the relationship, but I would not call it unhealthy. Of all the relationships in the show, Shamy has been the healthiest in terms of communication, conflict resolve, etc. The beauty of the relationship for me has always been that they are so well suited for each other. They have an issue, the discuss it, they resolve it. Look at what happened in the Prom episode. Sheldon panicked, Amy sought him out, and then they discussed the issue, why Sheldon panicked, what Amy's expectations for the evening were. He told her he panicked because he thought she looked pretty. My interpretation of that statement is that he felt an attraction and it scared him in it's intensity, which when coupled with the expectations he felt everyone had for the evening, led him to panic.

Which leads me to my next point. I'm not convinced in any way shape or form that the relationship is one-sided, or that Amy feels that way, at least in all aspects. Sheldon can be pushed but only to a certain extent and we have seen several examples of him going outside of his comfort zone for Amy. Prior to Amy he would had real problems getting near a sick person without a hazmat suit, but he stays in Amy's apartment with her so he can rub vaporub on her chest and give her a bath; he refused to shake hands, but regularly holds Amy's; he shares his food with her; when he hasn't heard from her he worries and can't settle down until he knows what's going on. Look how distracted he was at the dinner he had in the finale with Leonard and Penny. He told her he loves her, has said to other people that he loves her, so I'm not sure where the idea that it's one-sided comes from. I'll concede that before Prom Amy might not have had an idea of whether Sheldon found her attractive, but he told her she was so pretty he started to panic, so she has to have an idea how he feels.

To be honest, her entire outburst in the finale seemed completely out of place with the events of the season. I would not have had a problem if this occurred in seasons 6 or 7, but there was no reason to have her outburst now.

As an aside, It also concerns me that people think Sheldon needs to be torn apart in order for them to have a healthy relationship. Weathering a storm together is what makes a couple stronger. Not making it through a breakup.

Hey Rae, welcome to the blue forum! :)

I've been reading through the pages and pages of analyses and I'd like to add my opinion. 

I know some of you must think I'm a complete jerk for being so brash and for that I apologize, I'm usually more level headed but the shock of it all just swept over me. Anyways, I am still mad over the break up but I do think it was a heat of the moment decision on her part (I mean Sheldon was kind of pushy and the eggs comment was a little offensive) and with the hesitation she showed at the end of the TR, I don't think it will be a very long break up.

• Like 2