The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I agree with the people who said that a breakup was unnecessary but since that's happened, all we can hope for is that they handle this situation carefully without ruining the essence of Shamy and have them act ooc. I still have faith in the writers and hope that they can resolve this fairly quickly while maintaining a good balance between the comedy and drama.

• Like 3

I don't know that a break-up was necessary--I think Amy's breather was perhaps necessary, at least from her POV--but I'm not surprised, given Sheldon and his pesky insistence and his refusal or inability to see nuances or to understand relationship issues.

For Amy, being just as inexperienced in romance as Sheldon, I can see that she needs to evaluate things.  She loves him (Mayim interprets it as loving him unconditionally) and wants to be with him, but perhaps feels that they need to recalibrate somehow, so that they're both sure that they're both equally invested.  She doesn't really know how invested Sheldon is because he doesn't really talk about such things and when he does, his yardstick is very different than hers.

Just as he'll say something like "I've only known you for XX years and we're already ____" while to her it's a matter of "We've been dating for XX years and we haven't even ____", they have differing perspectives and interpretations.

So she needs to figure out if she can put up with it, or if she can understand where he's coming from, or if she can put up with how his mind works, or figure out where his heart is.  IMO, that doesn't mean that she's going to just suck it up and bend over backwards for him (get your minds out of the gutter!), or that she's going to let him get away with murder just because he's who he is.

But I think the breakup will be a wake-up call for both of them.  Sheldon has worried in the past whether or not Amy will dump him or that he might be selfish and thoughtless.  I think that once he gets past the hurt and anger over her rejection, he might do a little self-evaluation and see that he needs to make her a priority.

I don't think that he has to "give up the goods" just to make her happy--she hasn't even made that an issue--and I don't think that is her issue now.  I think it's just a number of little frustrations that piled up on her, and then he pushed and pushed until she snapped.

I also don't think it's a matter of having to break him down, but having his heart broken in this new way--he's not missing a movie or an autograph session with Wil Wheaton or Stan Lee--may give him a reason to re-evaluate what it means to be a boyfriend and to be a more thoughtful person.

• Like 8

To be honest, her entire outburst in the finale seemed completely out of place with the events of the season. I would not have had a problem if this occurred in seasons 6 or 7, but there was no reason to have her outburst now.

I agree, that the break up seemed to come out of nowhere, because Shamy had such a good season of firsts (ILU, Sheldon's gift-giving , overnight sleepover, Sheldon's initiation of taking her hand when making the announcement to Lenny about the Turtle, Sheldon's increasing use of innuendos.)   Yes, they had their disagreements due to Sheldon's thoughtlessness at times, but the majority of the time, Sheldon was making strides and they both were extremely happy.

Everything seemed to go down hill after the Fort Episode, which surprised me, because I expected Shamy to be at another level after that night.  Perhaps it was the writers' intentions to see this through in subsequent episodes by having Amy interact with Mary or through some other manifestation of their growing relationship.   Then tragedy strikes and Mayim loses her beloved father in death, and I wonder if this put a dent into their plans causing them to go back to the writing table.  

I first noticed that Amy's state of mind changed with her tone and demeaner while Sheldon was building the flower vase for his mother and he made the comment about competing with his sister for the potty trophy.  Then she complained about the Mushroom Log.   Normally, Amy is amused and adores such things from Sheldon, but this time you could tell by her facial expression that she is growing weary of such things, at least that was my take on it.

In consideration of Mayim's mourning period and minimal appearance in the final episodes of the S8, I got to wondering if the writers created this break in the finale, not only to explain Amy's absences, but to take into consideration her sad emotional state at the time.   Perhaps Penny telling Sheldon in the S91 TR that Amy had been contemplating a break for awhile is stemming from this time period.   This would explain why Amy had started to become so easily provoked by Sheldon's behavior toward the end.   Maybe she had hopes during their night in the Fort that did not come to fruition and that started the ball rolling downhill, which culminated with the events during their 5-year Anniversary.   If her hope of having the future she dreams of with Sheldon is fading, then all these other things he does that used to make her happy only serve to remind her of what she still doesn't have with him but wants so very badly, thereby adding to her frustration.

So whatever the reason was, this is the direction the writers have taken us and we have to be confident that they will not let us down by keeping them apart too long.   I am sure the road back to their reconciliation will be as wild of a ride as the break up was, and we will enjoy the acting talents of MaJim as we squirm in our chairs routing for them.

• Like 2

Hey Rae, welcome to the blue forum! :)

I've been reading through the pages and pages of analyses and I'd like to add my opinion. 

I know some of you must think I'm a complete jerk for being so brash and for that I apologize, I'm usually more level headed but the shock of it all just swept over me. Anyways, I am still mad over the break up but I do think it was a heat of the moment decision on her part (I mean Sheldon was kind of pushy and the eggs comment was a little offensive) and with the hesitation she showed at the end of the TR, I don't think it will be a very long break up.

Its okay, TRs tend to have that effect on people and I feel like shipping is basically a whirlwind of emotions.

And yeah I also want this breakup to be quickly resolved. I'm hoping so badly that the word in the new script is reconciliation for Shamy.

• Like 3

Its okay, TRs tend to have that effect on people and I feel like shipping is basically a whirlwind of emotions.

And yeah I also want this breakup to be quickly resolved. I'm hoping so badly that the word in the new script is reconciliation for Shamy.

Me too but if it is reconciliation it is more likely to be Lenny. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too but if it is reconciliation it is more likely to be Lenny. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe with the appearance of Mandy and all but since this is the S/A thread and I am mainly a Shamy shipper I am hoping it's for them.

• Like 2

I like to taper down my expectations... Ya' know Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I guess.

Ah well about 4 or 5 days till the next TR.

Out of curiosity, who is all going to the taping on Tuesday? Will you still go even with Bill Prady's thing on Twitter from this Tuesday? #atadconfused

I would like a quick resolution as well, but I doubt that will be the case. I'm betting my money that they're saving that for November sweeps. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

I would like a quick resolution as well, but I doubt that will be the case. I'm betting my money that they're saving that for November sweeps. :icon_rolleyes:

If that's the case then that would be about 8 episodes I guess...Hmmm, I'll have to see what the other TRs bring about before making a full judgement on the matter. 

November sweeps begin with the fifth episode.   Usually they do the "big" story in the first sweeps episode.  So it would be around the fifth episode, possibly sixth.  By the eight episode they may be just out of sweeps.   

You have to remember they have a hiatus week in there due to Emmy's.

• Like 1

Jenafan, I agree with you. I feel something is missing about the moms episode. The writers had to change part of the plot because of Mayim´s absence during that episode. The opening scene is not enough (at least for me).

November sweeps begin with the fifth episode.   Usually they do the "big" story in the first sweeps episode.  So it would be around the fifth episode, possibly sixth.  By the eight episode they may be just out of sweeps.   

You have to remember they have a hiatus week in there due to Emmy's.

Okay, I suppose episode 5 would be all right if they decide to make the break that long. As long as it isn't episode 10 or something. Well maybe if the writers can come up with some good, light-hearted geeky stories instead of focusing on the relationships in the meantime.

Maybe with the appearance of Mandy and all but since this is the S/A thread and I am mainly a Shamy shipper I am hoping it's for them.

I think Sheldon will hit on Mandy. Not because he's into her, 'cause he quickly changed his mind when he talked about it at the premiere, but to make Amy jealous. And, for me, it might work and accelerate the reconciliation.

• Like 1

I still have faith in the writers and the cast obviously does also, from what we have seen and heard.  They love these characters that they have created and they love the actors that portray them.

There will be angst and there will be drama, but at the end of the day, love and friendship will prevail.  

It is the formula that has worked from day one....have faith, don't despair and wait for it to play out on camera.

Just me...sunshine and rainbows..:kissing:

Happy Friday...cheers...:drinks:

• Like 7

I still have faith in the writers and the cast obviously does also, from what we have seen and heard.  They love these characters that they have created and they love the actors that portray them.

There will be angst and there will be drama, but at the end of the day, love and friendship will prevail.  

It is the formula that has worked from day one....have faith, don't despair and wait for it to play out on camera.

Idk..............  You're too fluffy.................  :)

• Like 1

Idk..............  You're too fluffy.................  :)

:cheese:

• Like 1

I think Sheldon will hit on Mandy. Not because he's into her, 'cause he quickly changed his mind when he talked about it at the premiere, but to make Amy jealous. And, for me, it might work and accelerate the reconciliation.

I dunno. I've said before that I wouldn't like Mandy to be involved in Shamy's situation because then that would just complicate things to no end.

Also the hitting on someone else to make someone jealous is rather clichéd and they've already done that to some extent when Sheldon tried asking Penny on a date to make Amy jealous while she was with Stuart.

Sheldon right now is just hating on women and relationships so i don't think he'd want to be near either of those right now.

But who knows what these writers have on their minds.

• Like 7

You're the "stay cool" master, man! That's the spirit, haha!

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic. I have no doubt the writers will resolve it, but my overall worry is two-fold.

1) What will the long term repercussions be? Up to this point Sheldon has trusted Amy. I think a lot of his ability to get past his fears are due to his trust that Amy's not going to hurt him. I'd say based on his overall reactions in the premiere, he's feeling pretty betrayed. So how are the writers going to deal with this trust issue? Because if they are going to keep his character in line with the character they've spent 8+ seasons building, it's going to be tricky to navigate that. Which brings me to my 2nd worry

2) Are the writers going to gloss over the long term trust issues because they only have a couple seasons left and so "who cares!?"

The writers have certainly pleasantly surprised me many times so I'm not saying they can't do it. It's really more will they do it?

• Like 8

Melody,

Season  8 ep 5 was Focus aired on oct 13    First episode aired on November was 8 PROM, aired nov 6

Season 7 ep 5 was Work Place, aired october 17. First episode on November was 7 PROTON aired nov 7.

May be they go to November sweeps for our SHAMY reconciliation, but I hope we´ll see them together or getting closer before November.

This year episode 5 is scheduled for taping during Rosh Hasanna ( Mayim may have short scenes and may  be absent  during 9 x 5 tape )  Emmy´s night is on Sep  21, two days before Yom Kippur.

(This year, I don´t see the writers, cast and crew obsessed about the Emmys, except for Mayim!)

But I don´t see SHAMY separated for more than 8 episodes!

Edited by Susana Alcira

Wow, I think that would backfire, with Amy saying two can play that game , and Amy would give Stuart another shot. Amy knows that he's interested.

It would then take half of season 9 to get Shamy back together.

Wow, I think that would backfire, with Amy saying two can play that game , and Amy would give Stuart another shot. Amy knows that he's interested.

It reminds me of a scene of Leonard kissing Leslie at his door and Penny kissing another man at hers. I don't remember in which season and episode it happened, but it was very funny at that time and with them.
If what you said really happen, they'll get back together close to the Valentine's Day. It would be a great episode (if it's well written, and not all messed up), but I'm still at the "Get back in 2015" team.

It reminds me of a scene of Leonard kissing Leslie at his door and Penny kissing another man at hers. I don't remember in which season and episode it happened, but it was very funny at that time and with them.
If what you said really happen, they'll get back together close to the Valentine's Day. It would be a great episode (if it's well written, and not all messed up), but I'm still at the "Get back in 2015" team.

Soooo lame, cliché, reiterative and lack of inventive!!!! Nothing to do with the smart, intelligent and naiive SHAMY the writers created five years ago!

If they do that, they will kill the essence of SHAMY for ever!

(and really, I don´t see Amy "using " Stuart in that way. The first time,  she was pushed by the girls to date him  )

Lenny played that scene at the begining of Season 2, just seven years ago.

Edited by Susana Alcira
  • Like 6