[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

14 hours ago, vonmar said:

Promo pictures are usually released 5-7 days before the episode airs, so we should seen the next set around December 4th.

They wouldn't release them this week, they would just get buried in all the US Thanksgiving, football, kick-off to holiday shopping hoopla that will be going on this week.

CBS is going to want to sell these next 2 episodes hard...build the unspoiled frenzy....

It is going to be so much fun to watch this unfurl on social media......:icon_twisted: 

December 4th is my birthday....so yes, here's hoping they release them then! :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lpm said:

I know there are people who don't like change and they will always be there.  In fact, there's a thread I noticed even here in another part of the forum wondering if the show is going to go back to its' glory days.  I like the fact that this show and the characters have evolved.  I was just watching a rerun of M*A*S*H and one of the characters who intrigued me in that show when I used to watch was Major Houlihan.  She started off as a by the rules no matter what army major but as the years went on she still was an efficient army major and nurse but some of her edges were softened.  In my opinion, it didn't take away from the show or character, made it more interesting to watch as some of us wondered if she would ever hook up with Captain Pierce.  At the beginning of the show, there was no way that would have happened but it could have as her character evolved.  They just never went down that route, unfortunately. :)

Now this is really funny! Because since the hiatus I was also watching nearly all 11 seasons of M*A*S*H again - got them on DVD. And as for Margaret I completely agree. Her development was just wonderful to witness. I wouldn't have liked it if it had happened over 2 seasons, but since we had 11 to go...it was perfect and not unrealistic at all. The same goes for Sheldon. It is a natural development. People change and this is a fact. Who of us can say that he/she is still thinking, feeling and acting the same as they did when they were sixteen (apart from those who ARE sixteen :icon_cheesygrin:)?

BTW: As far as you last statement is concerned: I couldn't agree more! :icon_wink: Fortunately more luck with Shamy! :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1

On 24/11/2015, 17:28:42, April said:

If you really wanna go wild with the speculations:

Oct 2012 New Star Wars movies announced. -> Early season 6. PP first appears in 6x22.

Nov 2013 Release date announced. -> Early season 7. PP returns in 7x07 and is killed off in 7x22.

Nov 6th, 2014 Title announced. -> Early season 8, same day 8x08 airs. Episodes up to 8x11 would have been taped or in pre-production. Idk how far in advance the other scripts would've been finished but let's go with roughly the second half of S8 wasn't set in stone then.

So then, if we're going with the probably a bit ludicrous theory that Molaro & co heard about the title "The Force Awakens", saw their chance and took it -because it was just too stupidly perfect not to- then you could try to extrapolate at what point they said "What the hell, LET'S DO THIS!" and went down the rabbit hole. I mean, I do think they had Shamy on a certain trajectory already at that point (the ILY2, Christmas etc.) but if you want to go with the Star Wars theory it would explain the time frame in which certain developments took place, because you suddenly get the Mars episode with all that ~planning the future together~ stuff and the Fort Cozy McBlanket sleepover. You could also add Troll if you count Amy's fanfic as foreshadowing. lol Then it's all turned on its head a bit in the finale which leaves us then with the marvellously planned and executed S9 arc.

(They'll probably never admit it so we'll most likely never know for sure. But it's fun to speculate, so whatever...)

Gotta love speculation!

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 2

Ok, here's what I've been wondering about, please weigh in with your thoughts.

What does Sheldon mean by "I enjoyed that more than I thought I would"?  We could assume it was just a way to show he did indeed enjoy it (and yay for that!), but he could have just said that it was wonderful, or that he really enjoyed it, and their dialogue is so carefully crafted that there must be more to it than that.  So, what do we think?

Why was he not expecting to enjoy it as much as he did?  What was it that he enjoyed more?  Some ideas:

Was it that his choice to make love was purely an emotional one, to show Amy how much he loved her?

Is he really doing this just for her, not expecting it to be something that he really enjoys?

If so, how does that fit with our feelings that they were headed for this even before the breakup, and with all his sex comments during the breakup?  Didn't he actually want to do this, on some level, for physical reasons, too?

Does he mean it was more pleasurable physically than he expected?  (Maybe he knew intellectually that it would be pleasurable, at least enough to know he could be, ahem, a full participant, but was surprised by HOW good it was for him physically?)

Was he still a little concerned about how he would handle all the extreme physical contact but in fact liked it?

Did mean more on an emotional level than he expected it to?

Did he expect to struggle with the thought of the (ugh, trying not to be too graphic here, but it is what it is) fluids and such but not find it to be as difficult as he thought?

I guess what I'm wondering overall is what was his mindset when they went into the bedroom?  Penny said he seemed confident, and yes this was his decision and he obviously helps settle Amy's nervousness in the sweetest way possible (**dying** to see this part!)  But inside is he still fighting himself over fears or worries?  What changes during to make him say what he says at the end?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jlove said:

What does Sheldon mean by "I enjoyed that more than I thought I would"?  We could assume it was just a way to show he did indeed enjoy it (and yay for that!), but he could have just said that it was wonderful, or that he really enjoyed it, and their dialogue is so carefully crafted that there must be more to it than that.  So, what do we think?

Why was he not expecting to enjoy it as much as he did?  What was it that he enjoyed more?  Some ideas:

Was it that his choice to make love was purely an emotional one, to show Amy how much he loved her?

Is he really doing this just for her, not expecting it to be something that he really enjoys?

If so, how does that fit with our feelings that they were headed for this even before the breakup, and with all his sex comments during the breakup?  Didn't he actually want to do this, on some level, for physical reasons, too?

Does he mean it was more pleasurable physically than he expected?  (Maybe he knew intellectually that it would be pleasurable, at least enough to know he could be, ahem, a full participant, but was surprised by HOW good it was for him physically?)

Was he still a little concerned about how he would handle all the extreme physical contact but in fact liked it?

Did he expect to struggle with the thought of the (ugh, trying not to be too graphic here, but it is what it is) fluids and such but not find it to be as difficult as he thought?

I guess what I'm wondering overall is what was his mindset when they went into the bedroom?  Penny said he seemed confident, and yes this was his decision and he obviously helps settle Amy's nervousness in the sweetest way possible (**dying** to see this part!)  But inside is he still fighting himself over fears or worries?  What changes during to make him say what he says at the end?

Well, first it was their first time .. who is not nervous and worried before the first time? (especially if you are in principle not particularly good in the vicinity) the more it seems to me his decision to do coitus was more emotional decision. he wanted to be closer to Amy as possible and wanted to show her all his love and full appliances and trust. And this his remark was only a way to show that he did not think too much about the physical pleasure. and  was pleasantly surprised that sex can bring as the emotional filling so the physical one at the same time.... for him it was a big step forward, a step towards change. and he is afraid of changes. and even more ... what a man does not want to satisfy his woman (that too does not alleviate anxiety)

Our boy proved himself as an excellent boyfriend... and lover.... :D apparently he excelled in everything at once- and emotions and passion! O la la

Edited by AlFisher
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, jlove said:

[...]

You've already covered many of the hang-ups I'd expect Sheldon to have about coitus but I'll try to offer my perspective anyway.

I don't think Sheldon would have made the decision to sleep with anyone hadn't he met Amy and fallen in love with her. She is the key to all of this. But while he's surely spent months going back and forth on this decision and reviewed every singly aspect of it and asked himself all of these questions you yourself listed, it's probably safe to say that once he went into that bedroom he was 100 % sure he was doing the right thing. By himself and by Amy.

So to answer your question: I think once he'd gotten all of those thoughts out of his head he was left with pretty much the same hang-ups as the rest of us had before we took that step for the first time. As Amy said: "I don't know what to expect". And he replied "I don't either". He didn't know. And even if you're NOT an obsessive-compulsive germaphobe there are still things to worry about, some of which have been listed here already: contraception, pain, awkwardness, performance anxiety etc. Perhaps he'd been told (or read) that the first time isn't always perfect and you need to work together in order to make it good and enjoyable, and that's why he was surprised that it wasn't just an obstacle he needed to climb over in order to "get it over with" - it was actually pretty great and better than he expected.

Well, those are my 2 cents anyway =)   

Edited by YlvaBorealis89
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, jlove said:

This has been bothering me too.  "More than I thought I would" is so deliberately ambiguous, particularly coupled with the "next year" gag.  It could mean anything from, he thought he'd hate it but it was ok, to he thought he'd be ok with it and it was just fine, to he thought he'd like it and...wow.

So, I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I have concerns over how this will develop over the rest of the season.  If they're going to continue to play with the horny Amy/indifferent Sheldon dynamic I will be so disheartened.  In that event I'd prefer to have both characters content  to actually wait until next year.

As a woman, I hope the writers realize what a bummer it is for us to watch character after character suggest that  Mayim,  no matter how badly dressed, is somehow inherently undesirable.  It's worse when Sheldon does it.  It just isn't funny, and it never was.  Now that they've been intimate, having him spurn her advances sends that message all over again.  It's not that he's too repressed anymore, it's simply that he doesn't want her and simply had sex to please her.  Which sounds nice,  but is actually sad and  icky.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bluebird said:

While I understand your concerns about how they'll continue from now on, I just don't think they'll go back to frustrated Amy and indifferent Sheldon. It's so been there done that. Why even have the characters have sex if nothing changes? The whole point of this break up and everything that happened after that was to develop the characters and their relationship, to make their relationship better. If they'll go back to how it was last season then everything was for nothing. They have so much more potential comedy and storylines if they'll explore this new-found intimacy. I can't of course say for sure, but the writers did handle this break-up storyline and coitus plot so beautifully (imo), that I have faith they won't take steps back. 

He knows when he has feelings. and he is not one of those who just goes back down. it's like to build a boat hard for a long time , and then just go in the water up to the neck and drown. foolishly))

Edited by AlFisher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jenafan said:

This has to be my favorite line as well, not only because of what Sheldon said, but the gestures he made with his hands and the look in his eyes.   Only he can make something like dandruff falling look and sound extremely intimate.

I must say that as far as physical attraction goes, it's not so much the way Sheldon looks.   Its the way he expresses himself with his eyes, smile, and body language that melts me every time.

and here i thought it was his overuse of talcum powder!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Boonaroma said:

This has been bothering me too.  "More than I thought I would" is so deliberately ambiguous, particularly coupled with the "next year" gag.  It could mean anything from, he thought he'd hate it but it was ok, to he thought he'd be ok with it and it was just fine, to he thought he'd like it and...wow.

So, I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I have concerns over how this will develop over the rest of the season.  If they're going to continue to play with the horny Amy/indifferent Sheldon dynamic I will be so disheartened.  In that event I'd prefer to have both characters content  to actually wait until next year.

As a woman, I hope the writers realize what a bummer it is for us to watch character after character suggest that  Mayim,  no matter how badly dressed, is somehow inherently undesirable.  It's worse when Sheldon does it.  It just isn't funny, and it never was.  Now that they've been intimate, having him spurn her advances sends that message all over again.  It's not that he's too repressed anymore, it's simply that he doesn't want her and simply had sex to please her.  Which sounds nice,  but is actually sad and  icky.

you're not alone, when all the euphoria settled down a bit and i actually read the TR till the end, the 'next year' comment really really bothered me, and the 'more than i thought i would' line (originally it seemed very sweet to me) together with the next year comment really really bothered me too : ( . For now i'm just choosing to trust those who say it's obviously a throw away line, i'm really really hoping it is like that (so far this season all the moments that bothered me in the TR turned out actually ok/good on screen) so i'm just really hoping it's not what i think it is , and the writers won't go that road again (horny Amy/indifferent Sheldon) and i'm just hoping those 2 lines were just to keep Sheldon in character.

But it did struck me as weird - after all the sexual innuendos and hints from Sheldon this season, i thought he really wanted it, so these two lines did sound weird... a little bit like last season Sheldon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

I'm not going to worry about either line.  I need to hear them spoken on screen. Where's the emphasis in each sentence?  For the "I can't wait line"....is he literally saying, let's make this a once a year thing or is he saying, there is no way I'm waiting until your next birthday to do this again or is he attempting to lighten the mood by telling a Sheldonesque joke.

Amy's response of "that's fine" meat to me that she wasn't freaked out by his statement.

Words on paper can change dramatically when spoken aloud, especially when spoken by Jim. (IMO)

I agree with you, let's wait to see how it plays on screen...I think at the moment it was just a way to keep Sheldon in character. At any rate, I was wondering...the answer "That's fine" seems quite odd, if he was actually saying he was planning to make it once a year; "That's fine" means she agreed with what he said, and I can't believe Amy can agree in making it just a birthday gift! I didn't expect Amy to make a scene or fight in that precise moment, but if he meant that, it would have been better to say something like "we can discuss it later...", "let's see..."  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, notchinc said:

Actually, I'm starting to believe that the writers had sex planned for Shamy the moment they killed Professor Proton in Season 7.22.

Interesting.  I rewatched this episode today and I saw a lot of similarities in 7x22 and 9x07 tag scenes.  IMO I think the writers started the process of chipping Sheldon's shield in both 7x22 and 7x24. Although season 9 has been dramatic looking back hints of what was in store for Sheldon were there in previous seasons.  As I've said before I am very impressed by how the writers were able to craft such a powerful and moving story of friendship, love and growth.  

• Like 4

On 11/20/2015, 8:37:18, bluebird said:

I bet we'll get a post when that episode airs as well, because that's a huge one! I'm sure Mayim has a lot to say about it. I wish we could've somehow seen their first reactions when they read 9x11 script. I bet Jim was cheering.. 

i'm sure once we're closer to the episode they're gonna do interviews about it and  i hope they'll ask Jim about his first reaction... I'm sure he was cheering like we did haha . 
Ok maybe not like we did but i bet he was superrrrr happy and im just so curious as to what was Mayim's reaction! I bet she was shocked, esp after the 9th episode!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Amy's response of "that's fine" meant to me that she wasn't freaked out by his statement.

9 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I agree with you, let's wait to see how it plays on screen...I think at the moment it was just a way to keep Sheldon in character. At any rate, I was wondering...the answer "That's fine" seems quite odd, if he was actually saying he was planning to make it once a year; "That's fine" means she agreed with what he said, and I can't believe Amy can agree in making it just a birthday gift! I didn't expect Amy to make a scene or fight in that precise moment, but if he meant that, it would have been better to say something like "we can discuss it later...", "let's see..."  

There are different accounts of her answer. One TR said "That's fine.", Kazzie's said "Me neither."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, April said:

There are different accounts of her answer. One TR said "That's fine.", Kazzie's said "Me neither."

If the answer is "Me neither"..."I can't wait" should mean literally that "he can't wait", right? English is not my first language, as you may notice from my posts, but that's how I interpret it...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

im thinking if they had just finished having sex and Amy is as disheveled as the TR says she is, shes probably still catching her breath, still recovering and mumbled a distracted "thats fine" as a response to something she half heard lol. he was probably background noise at that point!

• Like 8

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic