[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

I can't see Sheldon or Amy being willing to give up control to either of the families (mothers).

I can see something really unusual like a wedding/reception and the zoo, a museum or the science center.  People are using locations like those more and more these days.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Susana Alcira said:

According to Kazzie both wore white for their first time. Both are traditional.

The white wedding dress was only made popular by Queen Victoria in western culture.  In other cultures it's not traditional.

My objection to them going to Texas is quite simple, the wedding is supposed to be about the bride and broom, not what everyone else wants.  Secondary, it's traditional for it to be referred to as the bride's day, which is probably why Amy has dreamt of the big wedding with all the trappings because she'll be the centre of attention for once. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Isn't it supposed to be one of the women, who catches the bouquet?

16 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

It's a comedy so they can do that.  I would say Raj would be the one to catch it, but I just had a thought that it might be Stuart.

It happens in real life too, and it's funnier than it sounds. The guy who catches always feels embaressed (perhaps because "shouldn't" do it. LOL)

7 minutes ago, Susana Alcira said:

According to Kazzie both wore white for their first time. Both are traditional.

Oh, so they fell into the purity-virginity white tale. To complete the cliché the sheets were made of silk too? Goose feathers pillows? :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranger Rosa said:

It happens in real life too, and it's funnier than it sounds. The guy who catches always feels embaressed (perhaps because "shouldn't" do it. LOL)

Oh, so they fell into the purity-virginity white tale. To complete the cliché the sheets were made of silk too? Goose feathers pillows? :icon_cheesygrin:

Well if they're going with traditional, she can't wear white at her wedding now can she?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

I just love how most of us have gone straight from the coitus to planning Shamy's wedding.  The ring is not yet on Amy's finger.  With no engagement yet in place, I'm surprised there has been little discussion or speculation on how the proposal could happen.    

To be fair, the wedding and baby name planning has been going on almost since the day Amy walked in the door. The "Eye Coitus" gif competition reminded me of the early days of the ship, when we made up the in-fandom joke of "Eye Coitus" and started making the same gifs being reposted now years later. I thought I'd visit fan forum and try to remember when and where that all started and how it went down, and rereading the early threads reminded me how old these conversational topics have gotten over the years. It's amusing to go back to threads from 2012 and see: I am convinced Shamy will have twins and name them Pierre and Marie! Or all the back and forth about whether Sheldon and Amy would have sex before or after marriage.

Once there's a couple, or even the hint of a couple, speculation about weddings and babies is not far behind. The same old stuff about it has been recycled over and over again with this ship; only difference is that Sheldon actually has a real ring now.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

Well if they're going with traditional, she can't wear white at her wedding now can she?

Of course she can, I think it's awkward and funny that in tv shows (at least the ones I watch) the sheets are always white and the woman always sleeps or rest in the man's arms. 
They'll figure out a way to make this wedding geeky as well. An idea: marry in 3/14 (pi day).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A Shamy gal said:

I think she was trying for a Victorian Christmas, at least as far as the games where concerned.  If she wants the same for her wedding, well it would be a church where she lives, but I don't think she goes to church so if her mother goes to church, it would be that one.  BTW whose going to give her away?

I have always felt that it should be Howard that gives Amy away, seeing as how there is no real father figure mentioned in Amy's life.....not sure if it was their awesome bonding over Neil Diamond or what, but if they don't dream up a father figure for her, I can see it being Howard....i would love it to be Howard.

Edited by S.L Farrell
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Of course she can, I think it's awkward and funny that in tv shows (at least the ones I watch) the sheets are always white and the woman always sleeps or rest in the man's arms. 
They'll figure out a way to make this wedding geeky as well. An idea: marry in 3/14 (pi day).

Now that you mention it, you're right about the white sheets.... it's probably to with the lighting.

I like the idea of 3/14, but they'd need to get engaged pretty soon if they choose that date.

38 minutes ago, S.L Farrell said:

I have always felt that it should be Howard that gives Amy away, seeing as how there is no real father figure mentioned in Amy's life.....not sure if it was their awesome bonding over Neil Diamond or what, but if they don't dream up a father figure for her, I can see it being Howard....i would love it to be Howard.

What if Dave gave her away?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jenafan said:

What if Dave gave her away?

I'm ok with him making Shamy together again, catching the bouquet or something likewise, but not with this. It would have to be a father figure or a close friend, such as Howard, Leonard, Raj, or something

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lionne said:

What if Amy was a strong, independent woman who didn't need any man to "give her away." The entire concept of being given away is that one man has raised you, clothed you, fed you and protected you your whole life as you are a fragile little girl who was unable to take care of yourself without a man in your life. Now that you are getting married, you are being given away by the man who took care of you to the new man who will take care of you.

Amy lives alone, has a job, and takes care of herself. Frankly, she's a million light years ahead of Sheldon in the game of taking care of herself. She needs no man to give her away, and since the role of father figure in her life is conspicuously absent, why invent one just to feed into some ridiculous, old-fashioned notion that a woman needs to live her life going from one man to another to be taken care of? Unless you are also hoping that once married to Sheldon she can quit her job, start popping out twins and triplets on a yearly basis, and only use her education to manage her recipe collection.

I only asked because a lot of people seem to think that Amy will want the big, traditional wedding and having someone give you away is tradition.

I'm not quite sure I agree with Sheldon not being able to take care of himself.  He went off to university on his own when he was what 12 and went to Germany on his own as well.  He would have had to learn to take care himself far sooner than most.  Sure he doesn't do things like drive himself around, but he is more than capable of it if he had to.

• Like 3

On 26-11-2015 02:28:36, lpm said:

I was quite willing to entertain your arguments but you lost me at your statement "I find Sheldon's cruelty hilarious."  Cruelty is never hilarious -- there's nothing hilarious about the cruelty I see in our world today.  I like Sheldon as well but always have winced at some of the things that come out of his mouth.

Sheldon's insane reality has been the hallmark of CBS programming since 2007. It's all good fun and ratings.

15 minutes ago, Lionne said:

What if Amy was a strong, independent woman who didn't need any man to "give her away." The entire concept of being given away is that one man has raised you, clothed you, fed you and protected you your whole life as you are a fragile little girl who was unable to take care of yourself without a man in your life. Now that you are getting married, you are being given away by the man who took care of you to the new man who will take care of you.

Amy lives alone, has a job, and takes care of herself. Frankly, she's a million light years ahead of Sheldon in the game of taking care of herself. She needs no man to give her away, and since the role of father figure in her life is conspicuously absent, why invent one just to feed into some ridiculous, old-fashioned notion that a woman needs to live her life going from one man to another to be taken care of? Unless you are also hoping that once married to Sheldon she can quit her job, start popping out twins and triplets on a yearly basis, and only use her education to manage her recipe collection.

As far as the tradition of giving the bride away, I don't feel this is ridiculous in the least, but a matter of the bride's preference with the individual of her choosing.    Nor do I believe it is sexist for a woman to be given away in marriage, even if she is independent.    If Amy wanted to honor the tradition of being given away, this certainly does not imply she will quit her job, start popping out babies on an annual basis, and use her education to manage a recipe collection.

It does not necessarily have to be someone giving her away in a traditional sense.   The officiant can reword the phrase to ask, "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?"

If Amy truly wants to assert her independence as you have suggested, she could reply with "She gives herself, but with her family's blessing" or something to that effect.

Ultimately it is her choice, but whatever one she makes has no bearing on her career, childbearing, or her education.   However, I agree that she will be sacrificing some of her independence by choosing to marry Sheldon, in that some of her decisions regarding living arrangements, family planning, and finances are no longer solely hers to make.   Regarding the twins and triplets, that is not up to her or Sheldon, but biology.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Tomasina said:

Then maybe leonard should be giving sheldon away instead. 

Now THAT makes me howl with laughter; I love it. Leonard SHOULD give Sheldon away!

God, if that happens I will die a million deaths of pure glee.

17 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Regarding the twins and triplets, that is not up to her or Sheldon, but biology.

I always thought it was up to hilariously horrible fan fiction writers. ;)

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

I'm ok with him making Shamy together again, catching the bouquet or something likewise, but not with this. It would have to be a father figure or a close friend, such as Howard, Leonard, Raj, or something

On a traditional basis, yes.    Non traditionally, she can choose whomever she wants, or even choose to just give herself away.

I was joking about Dave, but I do think it would be cute and so unconventional for Shamy to have him there in whatever capacity.

3 minutes ago, Lionne said:

Now THAT makes me howl with laughter; I love it. Leonard SHOULD give Sheldon away!

God, if that happens I will die a million deaths of pure glee.

I always thought it was up to hilariously terrible fan fiction writers. ;)

That is very true, too.    I love the Leonard giving Sheldon away.   That right there would be true Shamy and TBBT style.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2015, 01:11:43, wowbagger said:

Well, I, personally, thought April was accusing you of framing disagreement as censorship, attack or bigotry against the asexual community. I actually did google 'cultural Marxism' (with my clicky little fingers, even! Teacher, do I get a gold star for doing the homework?), and I thought that you were accusing posters who rejected labelling Sheldon, or who didn't think he was asexual, with-what?-erasing asexual representation? Denying asexual experience? Shouting you down for being the lone voice in the wilderness for standing up for asexual representation, even though

a ) Being asexual would not automatically preclude Sheldon from feeling desire in particular circumstances (so our entire argument was a nice, prolonged bout of mental masturbation)

b ) The show itself has never made any pretence of representing asexuality and actually has no obvious obligation to do so?

ATOB, I put it to you that what you are actually standing up for is a cherished hypothesis about a character, in the teeth of a rapidly-growing mountain of canonical evidence. And that is fine. Honestly, it is.

But let's not confuse 'fighting for my theory' with 'fighting for the rights of a despised minority against a tide of apathetic sheeple'. We are not a cabal of whispering bigots because we happen not to agree with you. The show is not bigoted for failing to confirm your hypothesis. Neither have you been defrauded or betrayed if the show was never party to any agreement to represent asexuals on television.

Blimey, that's a convoluted thought process, you've got me boggled! Interesting though, I'll try and unscramble it (I'm picturing your neural pathways as Mr Messy from the kid's books BTW ;) ).  It is true that, for personal reasons, I do very much take offense when it's suggested that sexual orientation is a choice, or even a consequence of upbringing, but I'm not sure I can reconcile it with weaponised political correctness. If I do though, I will report back.

In answer to point A, I'd say the show has indeed actually already shown this in the representation of the Shamy sex as reported here.

Point B, I'd say the representation has been both blatent, consistent, and a running theme throughout the series. In fact Leonard, though he stopped short of speaking the dreaded A word, did in all intents name it "we've been operating on the basis he has no deal." 

If anyone was bigoted it was myself when I initially expressed my disappointment that the encounter was represented as asexual and not demisexual as I had been expecting, and I was quick to retract it and apologise. 

My own observations lead me to an entirerly different conclusion to the majority here, but I promise that, when it airs, no-one will be watching keener than me to try to spot that primary attraction. That it is absent now doesn't mean it will always be, and maybe that's the next arc for Shamy, Sheldon's awakening to how much he enjoys sex. I'd love to see that, truly. I think the fact that I wrote 20-odd (in both senses of the word) sex scenes in my Shamy fan fics attests to that, no?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazzie said:

I see the wedding happening in LA somewhere. I don't think it will be in Texas. 

Actually, now that you bring it up, I think it would be cute if the whole gang flew out to Texas for a little wedding there. That would be a great way for us to meet more of Shelly's family too. :)

• Like 4

I tend to agree with Lio about Amy being given away.  If a couple wants it as part of their wedding, fine, but I was adamantly against it when I got married.  Women have free will and choose to marry their husbands; they're not being passively given from one man to another.  The idea behind that whole tradition disgusts me.

But let's don't get ahead of ourselves.  We have plenty to anticipate in the next 19 days.

• Like 4

Hi... Long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't think that the Shamy wedding should be in Texas.  It would be too inconvenient for many reasons that several people have stated before.  Plus I don't really think that that would be something that either of them would go for.  Characterization marches on, and all that jazz.  In my minds eye I see them doing it court house style, with Amy, Raj, and the girls planning a little party afterwards.  Or maybe Howard and Raj could marry them at the top of the party.  I think that's fitting, sense Howard and Raj brought that them together they should seal the deal.  

The venue is tricky though.  Not the roof, that's Howerdettes spot, and 4A would be too small.  Maybe the dance hall where they went to waltz with the Korean business men.  

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic