[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

11 hours ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Oh, so they fell into the purity-virginity white tale. To complete the cliché the sheets were made of silk too? Goose feathers pillows? :icon_cheesygrin:

I'm not absolutely sure about this but, it's my understanding that, the tradition of "white for a virgin" is based around the idea, that it'll highlight the blood, resulting from the breaking of the hymen.

10 hours ago, Lionne said:

It is possible that they brought on Melissa and Mayim to appeal to more females.

And males too.

I doubt I'd be watching TBBT, let alone posting on here, had I not stumbled across this Youtube clip.

I fell in love with Amy, the moment I watched this clip :maninlove: , and it was Amy that caused me to keep watching.

10 hours ago, jenafan said:

What if Dave gave her away?

That'd be twice he's given her away. :) 

Isn't it traditionally a relative, ideally the father, or, failing that, a close relative, such as an uncle?

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 2

• Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning peeps! Let me clear up and give a more in depth shamy reportings!   There were 2 takes of the second kiss... As they finish kissing the first time round. They break apart. Sheld

Ok fellow Shamies, I typed up this report on the plane home just now. I've just landed and have another hour or so until I'll be home, but I thought I'd post this at least for you all real quick.  Sor

Oh...I thought someone has already posted a TR? No? Ok. First of all, English is not my first language, so I may have misunderstood a lot of the lines. Please forgive me if the episode turns out

Posted Images

14 hours ago, tmp said:

I tend to agree with Lio about Amy being given away.  If a couple wants it as part of their wedding, fine, but I was adamantly against it when I got married.  Women have free will and choose to marry their husbands; they're not being passively given from one man to another.  The idea behind that whole tradition disgusts me.

But let's don't get ahead of ourselves.  We have plenty to anticipate in the next 19 days.

I must say I agree as well. I perhaps wouldn't go as far as calling it or the idea behind it disgusting, but I'm not a big fan of this tradition either. On a personal note, I would never want anyone to give me away, because I don't see the point of that. In my opinion there's just nothing to give away, we're two equal people making a decision to spend our lives together as equal partners. The purpose of this tradition may be to honor the bride's value, but I'd personally feel like the opposite.

Here it's actually very common nowadays that a couple walks down the aisle together. I really like it, because to me that represents the equality between them. That is also what I want if I'll ever get married. This is of course just my personal preference.

Amy is traditional, but she also has a feminist side. I could see her wanting to do it either way. Even though I like the idea of a couple walking down the aisle together, I'd actually like to see Sheldon's face when he sees her in a wedding gown, walking towards him. I think that could be a very sweet moment.

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 8

I've been thinking to Amy's father, too. Most likely he is not around, since Amy never speaks about him and even very recently in The platonic permutation during the phone call with Sheldon she said that she was coming back from her mother's house, which would be odd if his father is living there, too. For me, either he died when Amy was really young or, given the strict and conservative education she gave her daughter, especially when it comes to boys and being a "good" girl,  Amy's mother was a single mum, and her husband or boyfriend left her alone with a child. The lady casted in season 4 to play the role was quite old indeed,  so she doesn't come across as the usual teen-mum,  but  older women may be left alone with a child, too. Anyway,  when they casted the actress back in Season 4 TPTB weren't fully aware of how BIG Shamy and Amy would grow in the fans' attention, so maybe they just casted somebody without thinking about a possible family background for Amy. Not sure they have thought about it now, but if there's going to be a wedding relatively soon (for me not this season, anyway...) they have to provide one. The idea of a grandmother growing Amy up telling her she was actually her mother seems kind of too complicated and soap-operish for me, I don't know...I hope they find a simpler and less dramatic story for her, so tired of drama!!

As for the the "give her away" at the altar (or wherever they marry...) I think that it is a lovely tradition, in my country  if a bride doesn't do that it's a really BIG deal, and it is for me a special moment between father and daughter, which  nowadays has  little to do with showing a woman's independence. If Amy after all has a father around and she loves him, then it would be really nice and tender for him to "give her away". But if Amy's father is out of the picture, as it appears more likely, I don't like the idea of some other men taking his place just because that's the tradition. Amy doesn't seem so close to Leonard, Howard or Raj to ask them to be at the altar (or wherever they marry...) with her; up to now there doesn't seem to be a father figure in her life, so I either see her going by herself (stating in this way her independence) or he mother accompanying her, if she wants to do something traditional in some sense.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, vonmar said:

It seems to me now that The Love Spell Potential was really the first turning point for them.

I agree. For the first time, Sheldon began to vocalize how he felt about Amy.

7 hours ago, overdosedcanary said:

You guys, I have just come across this comment on fb from Allie Elizabeth: "The ironic thing is, Amy's mom has probably thought this was going on for 5+ years" (their having coitus). 

I can't imagine that, Mrs Fowler has believed, all this time, that Sheldon has been  "making love to your daughter's vagina".

6 hours ago, overdosedcanary said:

Okay, I may sound a little bit perverted or dirty to say this, but do you think he would do the same to Amy's?

Not actually feeding from them (well, maybe when she's pregnant :) ), but certainly sucking on them. kolobok_heat.gif 

5 hours ago, Ranger Rosa said:

I think I've never saw this movie. Say the plot.

Two college students share a car ride home, but start off not particularly liking each other.

The famous scene, involves a comment by Sally (Meg Ryan), about women faking their orgasms.

Harry (Billy Crystal) says he'd know if a woman faked it with him.

Cue a demonstration from Sally.

BTW.The lady at the end, who says "I'll have what she's having", is the director's mother.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2015, 7:29:12, vonmar said:

Actually it was pretty insane. Remember, Sheldon had NEVER made a move on Amy and there he was kissing her.  Out of anger yes, but then that move of Jim's when he straightens up and walks into the kiss, we died a thousand deaths.

To where we are now...I never saw the breakup coming...broke my heart...the writers dragged it on much longer than I imagined that they would.

And now...make-up/make-out and sex...damn..never, never, never saw what I have read coming.

The bold part is exactly why the train kiss is my favourite Shamy kiss.  IMO that move expressed so much emotion that simple words could never fully convey.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Tomasina said:

Then maybe leonard should be giving sheldon away instead. 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! Leonard and Penny, at this point, I suppose. Pleasepleaseplease let this happen!

12 hours ago, jenafan said:

What if Dave gave her away?

Dave is performing the wedding. I will accept nothing else. Imagine if he gets to the 'the just cause and impediment bit', says 'Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace' and GLARES at the audience?

And then, when it comes to the 'You may now kiss the bride' moment, he suddenly produces some sort of futuristic camera and said 'I BOUGHT IT FOR JUST THIS MOMENT!' and fiddles and futzes with the settings for minutes to get it right. Until Penny finally shoves him aside, fishes out her smartphone and says 'just kiss, already'.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, ATOB said:

Actually, the origins of the tradition are far more sinister and stem from the days of arranged marriage in Western society.

A daughter was viewed as the chattel (property) of her father and the exchange was a legal one, passing ownership to the groom along with the woman's dowry (property or money that came with the wife as a means of attracting a husband).

If you think this sounds antiquated, then a quick troll through the interwebs will show you just how recently this law was changed, and, as I'm sure you are aware, arranged marriage is still a current practice worldwide.

http://www.historyofwomen.org/marriage.html

Well, if we are going to be go down the route of the sinister:

In ancient times, birthdays celebrations were used by kings of nations to behead people.   John the Baptist is a great example.

So, should Sheldon not honor the tradition of celebrating Amy's birthday with something beautiful as himself because of past history where a birthday was used for an act of cruelty?   Just because some people in the world make something bad does not mean it has to be bad for all.

People (including myself) pick and choose what they find offensive, but unfortunately because of those who get offended, the ones who do not are the ones who end up suffering, because the offended have a louder voice in the matter.

I agree, men and women are equal and should be treated such, and that a woman is not a piece of property, but she is a treasure that should be honored, respected, and loved by the man who chooses to have her.   It should be this way all over the world, and I do feel bad for the countries and cultures where this is not the case.

I think the TBBT writers have done a great job of showing that Sheldon sees Amy as his equal and is showing it now with his change in behavior toward her.   They won't agree on everything, but I think their relationship is special.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rachelshamyfan said:

Who was it that started the rumour of Howard and Amy having the same father?

5 hours ago, A Shamy gal said:

I don't know, but it's a ridiculous idea.  Besides they're done that with Howard's half-brother now.

I remember that being a plot of a couple of NerdForestGirls short tumbler stories.  They where well written and I enjoyed those fics, but I agree that Howard and Amy being half siblings is a little too out there and over dramatic.  

• Like 2

I'm not against the tradition of "giving someone away." Traditions can start as something dark/sinister and evolve over time to something that's not so I think completely dissing it is well, disrespectful to those who follow such traditions. 

Like, Jenafan mentioned, these days, the meaning behind it isn't something that's negative. It's a father or a mother saying, "I love and cherish this person and I want you to do the same and I am TRUSTING that you will do that."

ETA: Of all the years I've seen parents giving away their kids, I'm pretty sure the parents aren't thinking, "make sure this bitch bows down to you, listens to you, stays home and pops out a bunch of your babies." LOL. I mean, really? *SMH*

Will Amy want to be given away and by who? Ya got me. Guess we'll find out....

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MJistheBOMB said:

Will Amy want to be given away and by who? Ya got me. Guess we'll find out....

Maybe her father will turn up, at the 11th hour, to give her away

Maybe that's why there's been little or no mention of him, so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Maybe her father will turn up, at the 11th hour, to give her away

Maybe that's why there's been little or no mention of him, so far.

With this show, you just never know. They're full of surprises. LOL.

Although, it seems unlikely. I don't know how Amy feels but I would choose the parent that was actually in my life over a parent who wasn't. 

• Like 2

Wowbagger, out of curiosity, are you a mathematician? Your reasonings in your posts seem always so "mathematical"...and for me it's a big compliment!! I've studied Maths too!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MJistheBOMB said:

I don't know how Amy feels but I would choose the parent that was actually in my life over a parent who wasn't. 

What if Amy's mother fled, taking Amy with her, leaving her father not knowing where there were?

Would you think Amy should blank him, even though it wasn't his fault?

2 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Wowbagger, out of curiosity, are you a mathematician? Your reasonings in your posts seem always so "mathematic"...and for me it's a big compliment!! I've studied Maths too!

Hee! What gave it away? I studied maths, yes. (Holds up fist to bump)

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen Hawking said:

What if Amy's mother fled, taking Amy with her, leaving her father not knowing where there were?

Would you think Amy should blank him, even though it wasn't his fault?

A better question would be why are you acting as if that really happened when we don't know the story yet?

Just watched 4.15 The Benefactor Factor last night.  This exchange surprised me a little.  I always thought touch was more of a phobia, but maybe just a preference, which might have made it easier to overcome?  In any case I feel like they've pretty much dropped both from Sheldon's character recently, but was surprised to hear him say this back in season 4.

Siebert: Sorry, Dr. Cooper, I forgot you have a touch phobia.

Sheldon: It’s not a touch phobia, it’s a germ phobia. If you’d like to go put on a pair of latex gloves, I’ll let you check me for a hernia.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MJistheBOMB said:

A better question would be why are you acting as if that really happened when we don't know the story yet?

I'm merely suggesting a possibly reason, why her father isn't in  her life, but might appear in time, to give her away.

To paraphrase Leonard, in The Recombination Hypothesis, Isn’t thinking up scenarios kind of what we do now?

8 minutes ago, rachelshamyfan said:

I've always thought Amy's father died before she was born and left an allowance for Amy to be able to study

I thought her studying was financed by Faisal?

Opps, misread that, Stephen.....I thought you were asking me as if it's already happening and then asking me why would I feel that way considering that it's happening now. LOL.

Anyway, yeah, that could change things possibly if it were something that was out of Amy and her dad's control.

Edited by MJistheBOMB

1 minute ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I'm merely suggesting a possibly reason, why her father isn't in  her life, but might appear in time, to give her away.

To paraphrase Leonard, in The Recombination Hypothesis, Isn’t thinking up scenarios kind of what we do now?

I thought her studying was financed by Faisal?

Maybe the beginning of her studies was financed by her fathers allowance before she found faisal

Its all hypothetical anyway :)

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic