The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

7 minutes ago, ATOB said:

He was a bit of 'practice'. Perhaps she was open to some experiments? Till Zack opened his mouth, she was pretty keen to makes the beast with two backs with him. What's wrong with her expressing her sexuality any way she wants? She was single. For her, unlike Sheldon, sex is not tied wholly to love. Who knows what she might have done?

I'm not saying she never would have slept with Dave, or that there'd be anything wrong if she did, just that it wouldn't have happened that night. I think jlove's post above is spot on. 

1 hour ago, koops said:

The idea that the writers, who have repeatedly said they have been waiting for this moment for years and have worked very hard to get it right, would have some kind of subtle secret agenda to actually imply that Sheldon is not physically attracted to Amy or dreading to be intimate with her is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If they really wanted to get that message across, they would, clearly, in the plot, actions and dialogue, and without having to resort to bending over backwards to interpret half a line or a clip out of context and ignoring other evidence left, right and center. He's apprehensive about it, sure. The man has had to overcome tons of phobias and anxieties to get to this point, it's to be expected that he would worry about those phobias rearing their heads and ruining the experience for him/them and that the picture he painted in his head about it for years would turn out to be true. It's unrealistic to expect him to waltz into it like a horndog that was finally released from a chastity vow, because that's not the way he's always thought about sex, like something he couldn't wait to have. But apprehension and nervousness are very different from actively dreading it, especially when it was his idea, he said about 10 times in the episode he's ready, all the scenes about the nervousness had no mention whatsoever of him dreading it, when he goes to Penny for advice he's in a good mood and giggling, when he's in bed with Amy he is the one reassuring her and taking the lead, and in the end it turns out he actually enjoyed it. He's tried it now, he was obviously satisfactory at it if Amy's reaction is anything to go by, he didn't freak out, he realized he enjoys it and it was a good experience for both of them. Thumbs up all around.

As for Amy and Dave, I think it's clear from her reactions to Bernadette's questions and from the way (I think) she acts during the date (if I remember correctly - it's awkward and Sheldon keeps coming up in conversation? people who went can confirm/deny), that she wasn't *planning* for the evening to end in bed at all. She doesn't even understand Bernadette's hints. I get the feeling Amy is kind of lost and rudderless here, especially after being turned down by Sheldon, and not sure what to do with herself. The fact that her first instinct when Dave goes to kiss her is to recoil says a lot. Her head/heart is obviously someplace (i.e. with someone) else. 

I actually backtracked and withdrew the word "dread" some pages ago.  It was way, way too strong a word to use.

As for Sheldon's attraction, well, when I see it, I'll believe it.  And I'll be looking out for it, cause I do want to see it.

I think the apprehension may have dampened his ardor somewhat (sorry, but you can't tell me that's not a nervous man in that clip, Jim does a blinding job here) and (I'm hoping) we get to see a bit of drive on Sheldon's part in their next tryst. However, if it's not there, even if it's never there, that's fine too.

Oranges are not the only fruit.

4 minutes ago, koops said:

I also think one of the main things that keep getting glossed over in this debate is Sheldon's issues with physical contact and germs, which is the only canon reason he's ever given as to why the two of them have never been intimate. It's easy to mix that up with lack of interest in Amy from a sexual POV, because the resulting behavior is similar, but there's a crucial difference between being put off by sex because of hung ups and being uninterested in a partner in that sense. Like I said in another post, Sheldon with his phobias could have never looked at sex as something appealing to start with, so it's unrealistic to expect him to want this in the same way Amy might want it because she doesn't have all those horrible scenarios about it in her head. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want it or that there isn't a part of him that is aware (by his own admission) that a lot of that is in his head. 

YES THIS! VERY MUCH THIS! Your whole post is amazing and on point, but this just takes the cake. Never leave, koops.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Amy Fowler said:

Just stop. Please? We celebrate Shamy in all kinds of aspects of their relationship if you can't celebrate with us then please take this elsewhere. Create a new thread about why your so 'Sheldon don't want it' and we'll talk about it there cause the Shamy thread ain't the place mate. 

All kinds of aspects?

But not asexual or demisexual?

Might want to rethink the word "all".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, koops said:

Well, Jim did not really say that. He said "It's not something he has been waiting and waiting for". Which is different from "He is still not looking forward to have sex as much as Amy". He is very specifically talking about how it's been built up for her as opposed to him. He's talking about anticipation and expectations as the reason why Amy's having more jitters than he is when it comes down to the main event. Amy has been waiting for that moment for years. Sheldon hasn't. Sheldon has decided fairly recently he was ready, or nearly ready (Prom, some might argue? Finale?), and on top of that he didn't have to wait *on her* for years. Once he was ready, they would do it, there was no waiting needed for him.

And I find it interesting that he doesn't even wait a week after they're back together for going all in with her. He didn't want to wait any longer. And there was nothing at stake here, he didn't have to prove anything to her, they just got back together and were happy as clams, making out for hours and ignoring Dave. Yet, just like after deciding they should be friends, he changed his mind because that wasn't enough for him, he wanted it all, after they got back together, he decided it was time to consummate, immediately. Like Chuck said, it spurred him/them to approach their relationship more aggressively to make up for lost time. I think a part of that is Sheldon realizing how much he wanted to be the first/only to share that with Amy and that their separation could have costed him that wish. It's so obvious to me in the way he's obsessing over her date life in Platonic and how relieved he is to hear she didn't sleep with anyone. There's definitely a degree of want there, IMO. And that particular one has been something he's carried around with him for a long time, his sexual possessiveness of her came about even before they were dating and Amy even started wanting intimacy (5x03, 5x10).

I also think one of the main things that keep getting glossed over in this debate is Sheldon's issues with physical contact and germs, which is the only canon reason he's ever given as to why the two of them have never been intimate. It's easy to mix that up with lack of interest in Amy from a sexual POV, because the resulting behavior is similar, but there's a crucial difference between being put off by sex because of hung ups and being uninterested in a partner in that sense. Like I said in another post, Sheldon with his phobias could have never looked at sex as something appealing to start with, so it's unrealistic to expect him to want this in the same way Amy might want it because she doesn't have all those horrible scenarios about it in her head. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want it or that there isn't a part of him that is aware (by his own admission) that a lot of that is in his head. 

I don't believe it's necessarily a case of black or white, want/do not want, sexual/asexual with these things, especially when it comes to Sheldon. I think it's very likely that Sheldon always had to battle with that part of himself that did want it and was possessive of her in that sense, and the part of him that was anxious and phobic and in denial about wanting it because it contradicted what he knew about himself, and a part of him that just went for a long time without it just because he's generally less interested in it than the average. Whereas for Amy things were a lot more straightforward, primarily because she has no phobias and because she is not a worrier the way Sheldon is. Once she fell for him, the attraction came about and she wanted it all. For Sheldon, it was a lot more twists and turns.

Never leave again :friends:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

There is a thread for this over there *points* 

in fact, if I am not mistaken, you are the one who started it! 

I did. And when he shows some primary attraction I will be digging out a gif of Sheldon saying "I so informed you thusly" (but I probably won't be able to post it, like earlier).

Till then, that's a zombie, sorry.

1 hour ago, Musickat18 said:

Saying that Sheldon deciding he's ready for sex on the spur of the moment (more like "spur of the day-of-thinking") doesn't really mean he wants to have sex is like saying "You don't really want to get your hair cut because you decided just today to cut it."

Who's actually saying this? Did I miss something?

Edited by ATOB
Doh! Primary Desire, not Attraction!!!

1 hour ago, Amy Fowler said:

tumblr_nyqgr7rp2b1sq0wjgo2_540.gif

Totally pursing his lips for the 'Amy snog' incoming :dance: 

Good heavens, where is this clip FROM?  I LOVE IT!  I'm dying, this is the clip I've been longing to see since I first heard of the comparision to their first kiss on the couch.  Link, pretty pretty please?  I have to watch in all its full-color, normal-speed glory.  Over and over and over...oops, too much sharing?

Edited by jlove
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, jlove said:

Good heavens, where is this clip FROM?  I LOVE IT!  I'm dying, this is the clip I've been longing to see since I first hear of the comparision to their first kiss on the couch.  Link, pretty pretty please?  I have to watch in all its full-color, normal-speed glory.  Over and over and over...oops, too much sharing?

I believe it's from the ET interview, go back a few pages and you might find it.

25 minutes ago, Musickat18 said:

It does make you wonder who has the different lens when everyone else disagrees with you.

There's no right or wrong way to watch (and enjoy) a TV show.

Just now, Ranger Rosa said:

I believe it's from the ET interview, go back a few pages and you might find it.

I've watched the ET thing over and over again, and this scene isn't in the links to the ET interview I've found (nor is it in the one I clicked on from the forum I think...they go the same place I think).  Does anyone have a link to a longer vid that has this?  Now I'm wondering what else I may be missing...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ATOB said:

Who's actually saying this? Did I miss something?

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the crux of everything you've said. You say that it looks like Amy's forcing herself on him in the clip. You've been arguing left and right that Sheldon isn't ready, quoting Jim on how he hasn't been waiting for sex. You say he looks like he's dreading the whole thing. And yet you're ignoring the fact that everything in the episode up until that point was about Sheldon realizing that he's ready for sex. I fail to see what point you're trying to make if it's not that you think Sheldon is dreading the whole thing? Please explain it to me in simple terms because I've obviously failed to see your point. What have you been arguing for? Do you think Sheldon's asexual? Unconsenting? Only doing this to please Amy? What? 

• Like 7

Hey guys, but isn't he dress Amy wears in the promo pic during her dinner with Dave the same she wore on her first date with him (and that she wore on some other occasions in the past seasons)? It doesn't look a new one, to me...maybe the cardigan is new, but not sure about it, it looks familiar too...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jlove said:

Good heavens, where is this clip FROM?  I LOVE IT!  I'm dying, this is the clip I've been longing to see since I first heard of the comparision to their first kiss on the couch.  Link, pretty pretty please?  I have to watch in all its full-color, normal-speed glory.  Over and over and over...oops, too much sharing?

You might have to watch it on ET's website cause I think it's right at the beginning and the YouTube clip cuts it off. Not at all, we all keep watching it! It's right at the beginning 

16 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Hey guys, but isn't he dress Amy wears in the promo pic during her dinner with Dave the same she wore on her first date with him (and that she wore on some other occasions in the past seasons)? It doesn't look a new one, to me...maybe the cardigan is new, but not sure about it, it looks familiar too...

The cardigan is just a slight shade lighter and slightly longer in 9.08 ep as apposed to the one in 9.08:)  but I too thought they were the same that then making me think it was the same dress too for some reason.

image.jpeg.f64a70483bbb2225220e3be6238e8

image.jpeg.b11843f2e988863a2a3fa61b415e8

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ATOB said:

There's no right or wrong way to watch (and enjoy) a TV show.

Ok too lazy to go back and find post I was tagged in  to quote but this will do. So here it goes since nothing else is working.

Atob I surrender you are right! Sheldon is an asexual he has never and will never be attracted to Amy. He thought about trains to get it up and will never fornicate the fair Fowler again. 

You are ever so smart and your research and wittcisms as proven every other person on the board to be wrong. Now will you shut up?

#coituscame #deflowerfowler #sheldonisamysexual

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, jlove said:

I've watched the ET thing over and over again, and this scene isn't in the links to the ET interview I've found (nor is it in the one I clicked on from the forum I think...they go the same place I think).  Does anyone have a link to a longer vid that has this?  Now I'm wondering what else I may be missing...

It really is there in that clip

7 minutes ago, Musickat18 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the crux of everything you've said. You say that it looks like Amy's forcing herself on him in the clip. You've been arguing left and right that Sheldon isn't ready, quoting Jim on how he hasn't been waiting for sex. You say he looks like he's dreading the whole thing. And yet you're ignoring the fact that everything in the episode up until that point was about Sheldon realizing that he's ready for sex. I fail to see what point you're trying to make if it's not that you think Sheldon is dreading the whole thing? Please explain it to me in simple terms because I've obviously failed to see your point. What have you been arguing for? Do you think Sheldon's asexual? Unconsenting? Only doing this to please Amy? What? 

I thought Sheldon was demisexual. The taping report does not show any desire on Sheldon's part to have sex for his own pleasure, it is purely for Amy. I was disappointed.

I thought about it. Came to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong in having sex purely for love.

However, I would prefer to see Sheldon have sex for his own pleasure as I can empathize with this.

I think Sheldon was very ready (otherwise he wouldn't have done it). I think he realized that sex is part of being a boyfriend when they were apart.

Do I think Sheldon's asexual? Yes.

Unconsenting? No, not at all.

Only doing it to please Amy? Yes, so far.

Just while its playing on my mind. Do you think Amy gave Dave another try because she actually liked his want to be like Sheldon? So she could replace her feelings for the actual Sheldon with someone who's desires to be like Sheldon? Or does she like the fact he reminds her of him when Dave speaks about his encounters with Sheldon?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Amy Fowler said:

Never leave again :friends:

Damn straight, koops.   Had you been here weeks ago, I think this whole matter about Sheldon's wanting/not wanting Amy would have been wrapped up pretty quickly in a nutshell.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Amy Fowler said:

Just while its playing on my mind. Do you think Amy gave Dave another try because she actually liked his want to be like Sheldon? So she could replace her feelings for the actual Sheldon with someone who's desires to be like Sheldon? Or does she like the fact he reminds her of him when Dave speaks about his encounters with Sheldon?

I think it's because she thinks she lost her chance with Sheldon forever and there's no way back, so she goes for the second best (Dave) because she thinks that otherwise she'll die alone. That's like that moments that you think that everything will go wrong but life gives you the best thing. It's beautiful.

• Like 5