Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Recommended Posts

And while we're on the subject of change, can they give Amy something more like in 9.10 and 9.11 to wear from now on? No need to expose more skin, just some slightly cuter cardigan and slightly curly hair would be enough.

I'm not saying Amy wasn't pretty before, but compared with the old Amy's style, I think most people would find her clothes in 9.11 prettier. And it's not OOC for Amy to dress up more for Sheldon (She did mention not want to change her style for a man, but that was during their break up). It's normal for girls to want to look great in front of their boyfriends, especially for someone who's as romantic as Amy. And although Sheldon isn't into looks, he still has the ability to tell Amy looks pretty in her prom dress, doesn't he?

And sometimes I think it's almost ridiculous that Amy wears so many layers sitting in the same room with her friends who only wear T-shirts. I mean doesn't she get hot?

26 minutes ago, koops said:

Well, that depends on what kind of relationship they're writing. While I'm in no way advocating that Sheldon and Amy should have kept a non-sexual relationship or non-physical relationship, and I'm happy to see them explore those aspects with each other and find it interesting, there's no just one way to have a relationship. I'm sure there are people out there for whom falling in love does not necessarily imply physical intimacy or "romance" in the most traditional sense. Granted, I'm probably talking about a minority, but I wouldn't say that there's only one natural expression of being in love and there are only two possibilities: friends or conventional relationship. Or that if Amy's behavior hadn't changed their relationship wouldn't have gone anywhere. They could have still developed deeper and deeper feelings through the years in tons of different ways. I personally have always been quite open to different possibilities for them, so long as they're happy and on the same page: they could have ended the show as platonic roommates never having started a proper romantic relationship, or end it with 2 kids and a dog (or turtle, in their case), but as long as it's written in a quirky and adorkable way, I am ok with anything. But the keyword for me is quirky and adorkable.

Having said that, the story is that yes, Amy has grown to want certain things (and so has Sheldon, albeit at a slower pace) and what I do completely agree on though is that it would make absolutely no sense to go through all this heartbreak and drama of a breakup only to go back to Amy wanting more and Sheldon dragging his feet again, just this time, say, it's about how often to have sex or stuff like that. THAT stuff definitely needs to change. But, again, when I talk about old school Shamy, I am not talking about wanting the romantic part of their relationship to go back to the push-and-pull dynamic, I'm talking about their intellectual connection and camaraderie that attracted me to them. To me the most important thing is that they are on the same page again and that they are quirky and adorkable together. That's probably because I didn't get into their relationship with any specific romantic expectations, but because I like them being weirdos together (and I don't think there's any other pairing on this show that's as quirky and weird as these two can get - even as friends they were a totally different ballgame) and that's what I mean when I say I want to see that again. 

 

Yeah I guess I want to see them weird together as a cute couple not weird together as two friends with one who wants more and the other's just indifferent.  I don't think that's what Amy wants (Now maybe that's not even what Sheldon wants).

 

Edited by camelliayao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

Well,  first off,  Sheldon and Amy were never just friends.   One if the running jokes in S4 was that Sheldon refused to call her his "girlfriend" and then referred to the pairing as a "relationship" never a friendship.  I love how in Desperation he tells Leonard once again that she is not his "girlfriend" and then proceeds to suggest that Leonard is jealous that he has a functioning and satisfying relationship with a female and offered up other examples of characters, who too, had girlfriends.  

What was different in old school Shamy is that instead of physical things,  such as kissing, sex etc., turning them on, it was each other's intellect and other personality quirks.  Those two seriously got off on that.  Intimacy comes in different forms and these two have been intimate since the beginning.  And I love that Mayim has made that point multiple times lately.    But, that is what people want to see again.   And it would be really great if these old school turn ons and this new found physical intimacy coexist.  Like Sheldon starts pontificating and Amy can't help herself and grabs and kisses him.  Or Sheldon is so turned on by doing one of their weird social experiments on their friends that it culminates with him dragging her to the bedroom.   That could be a new way to do old school Shamy. 

I'm sorry but the first part I think you're analyzing too much... To me he really did think their friendship were just friends back in season 4.

And the second part, yes that's what I meant but Shamy 2.0 version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

Well,  first off,  Sheldon and Amy were never just friends.   One if the running jokes in S4 was that Sheldon refused to call her his "girlfriend" and then referred to the pairing as a "relationship" never a friendship.  I love how in Desperation he tells Leonard once again that she is not his "girlfriend" and then proceeds to suggest that Leonard is jealous that he has a functioning and satisfying relationship with a female and offered up other examples of characters, who too, had girlfriends.  

What was different in old school Shamy is that instead of physical things,  such as kissing, sex etc., turning them on, it was each other's intellect and other personality quirks.  Those two seriously got off on that.  Intimacy comes in different forms and these two have been intimate since the beginning.  And I love that Mayim has made that point multiple times lately.    But, that is what people want to see again.   And it would be really great if these old school turn ons and this new found physical intimacy coexist.  Like Sheldon starts pontificating and Amy can't help herself and grabs and kisses him.  Or Sheldon is so turned on by doing one of their weird social experiments on their friends that it culminates with him dragging her to the bedroom.   That could be a new way to do old school Shamy. 

I love the idea of the old school turn ons and new physical intimacy working together !!! It would be amazing and very much them , good call ! 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluebird said:

I God how much I love that scene! It's pure Shamy.

I do agree with you guys that next we need some classic Shamy cuteness, but with a little something that shows that their relationship has improved due the break up. What I don't want to see is frustrated Amy (occasional eye rolling with a loving smile is totally fine) and indifferent Sheldon. Imo this break up had a greater purpose and it wasn't created just for the drama. They had some issues in their relationship: Amy wanting more traditional kind of romance and trying to change him, Sheldon not putting Amy first and having commitment issues, the lack of physical intimacy (which would've been fine if that's what they both wanted). Now it seems like the writers managed to handle all these issues during this season. Both of them really learned the value of each other and their relationship during the break up. That's why I don't see them taking steps back now.

And when it comes to coitus, I'm really fine with however they'll fit it into their relationship, as long as they are on the same page with it. Once a year, once a week, everyday, scheduled, not scheduled, I'll take it all if both of them are fine with the arrangements. Although I really like the idea presented here that they'll try to schedule it but fail terribly!

They are always going to be a little awkward and quirky and I don't want that to change. They are still going to make mistakes and argue like any other couple. Sheldon will always be Sheldon and Amy has her own quirks as well. What I do think they learned from this break up is that they only want to be with each other, not alone nor with anyone else. They will work trough anything that comes along, because they never want to lose one another again. Once was more than enough. 

What I'm really trying to say is that I think (and hope) we'll see more of "Sheldon and Amy against the world"  than "Sheldon and Amy against each other" from now on. And that's how it's supposed to be.

TOTALLY agree with you, especially the bolded part. Love the Shamy "against the world" idea!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Amy is not like us who have gif sets and scripts to analyze everything that happens between her and Sheldon.

So she doesn't know Sheldon pursed before her kiss which shows he likes her. She doesn't get to know what Sheldon said in the shopping mall. She doesn't know Sheldon may secrectly considers her more than "just friends" even back in season 4. If they still act the exact same way before, I think Amy will get tired again eventually.

So Shamy 2.0? Yes. Old school Shamy with little cute love confessions and small kisses? Yes. Old school Shamy where they act like just friends but some of us may know deeeeeeep down they love each other yet to others they really are just friends? I hope not.

The point is old school Shamy may be good enough for us, for Sheldon, but not enough for Amy.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I'm sorry but the first part I think you're analyzing too much... To me he really did think their friendship were just friends back in season 4.

And the second part, yes that's what I meant but Shamy 2.0 version.

Yet, he never referred to it as a friendship and always compared it to other romantic relationships.  That was the joke.  That was why it was so funny that refused to call her his girlfriend.  He argued the semantics of it all, yet the actions said differently.  And like someone else said,  I believe koops,  everyone treated them as such.   The scene I talked about was one example.   It happened all throughout S4.

23 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

And Amy is not like us who have gif sets and scripts to analyze everything that happens between her and Sheldon.

So she doesn't know Sheldon pursed before her kiss which shows he likes her. She doesn't get to know what Sheldon said in the shopping mall. She doesn't know Sheldon may secrectly considers her more than "just friends" even back in season 4. If they still act the exact same way before, I think Amy will get tired again eventually.

So Shamy 2.0? Yes. Old school Shamy with little cute love confessions and small kisses? Yes. Old school Shamy where they act like just friends but some of us may know deeeeeeep down they love each other yet to others they really are just friends? I hope not.

The point is old school Shamy may be good enough for us, for Sheldon, but not enough for Amy.

I think you and I have a didn't different idea of what old school Shamy is.   Old school Shamy isn't have Amy tired of Sheldon at all.   They were in the exact same page and were shown happy and having fun together,  without being at odds.  Season 6 and 7 were not old school.   Everyone just wants them to go back to having fun with each other coupled with this new found element to their relationship. 

Edited by nickelette424
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.gif.f7956a98e9697d8a898930b80dcbf2

I never cared much for moonlit skies
I never wink back at fireflies
But now that the stars are in your eyes
I'm beginning to see the light

I never went in for afterglow
Or candlelight on the mistletoe
But now when you turn the lamp down low
I'm beginning to see the light

Used to ramble through the park
Shadow boxing in the dark
Then you came and caused a spark
That's a four-alarm fire, now

I never made love by lantern shine
I never saw rainbows in my wine
But now that your lips are burning mine
I'm beginning to see the light

Now that the stars are in your eyes
I'm beginning to see the light
Now when you turn the lamp down low
I'm beginning to see the light

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

Yet, he never referred to it as a friendship and always compared it to other romantic relationships.  That was the joke.  That was why it was so funny that refused to call her his girlfriend.  He argued the semantics of it all, yet the actions said differently.  And like someone else said,  I believe koops,  everyone treated them as such.   The scene I talked about was one example.   It happened all throughout S4.

I think you and I have a didn't different idea of what old school Shamy is.   Old school Shamy isn't have Amy tired of Sheldon at all.   They were in the exact same page and were shown happy and having fun together,  without being at odds.  Season 6 and 7 were not old school.   Everyone just wants them to go back to having fun with each other coupled with this new found element to their relationship. 

The reason I think they can have fun together in season 4 and 5 is because they are friends or maybe more than friends but they are not in love back then. Amy didn't want more so they're on the "exact same page".

The point is I don't think they can ever go back to the old school Shamy again. They are now in love. Amy wants more and if Sheldon can't give more, they are back in season 6 and season 7 Shamy, or worse season 9 Episode 1 to 9 Shamy. If Sheldon can give more, they are Shamy 2.0, which I hope they'll be. They have to be on the "new same page" for the relationship to work again.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bluebird said:

I have to disagree on that. I don't think he ever treated their relationship the same way he treats his friendships. Not even in season 4. He didn't want or need new friends. He was perfectly fine with the ones he had. There wasn't really any reason why he would've stayed and offered her that hot beverage in the first place if there wasn't something about her that intrigued him, something more than just a friendship. But this is Sheldon and he had always thought that romantic relationships are unnecessary. To me it was obvious that he was interested in Amy more than just as a friend (the cats, she's not for you, just to mention few moments), but he couldn't admit it to himself. And by that I mean he had never felt like that about anyone so he really didn't know how to deal with it. It was all new territory for him. Jim said back then that he thinks Sheldon isn't really sure why he wants/needs Amy in her life, but that he does know he prefers to have her in his life than not to have. It took Amy going out on a date with another person for him to finally being able to admit that what they actually had, was indeed a relationship. And that that's what he wants too. He said that nothing will change between them except the fact that they can finally call themselves as boyfriend and girlfriend. The way I took it, was that they already were in a relationship and that now he was finally ready to admit it to himself and to her. 

And it's true that he always used the term relationship rather than friendship. I do think it matters. 

Maybe I chose my words poorly. Yes maybe Amy was more than a friend to him back then but I think the feelings he had for her were admiration, the need to possess her exclusively rather than adoration.

Edited by camelliayao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jlove said:

I don't believe that Sheldon was acting out during seasons 6 and 7 out of spite either.  I also don't believe for a minute that these two were ever "just friends," no matter what they themselves called it, and I believe they realize it now as well.  Case in point, as I said some time ago: they celebrated their 5th anniversary in May.  They consider their anniversary to be the day they met, not the date of The Flaming Spitoon Acquisition, a year and a half later.  Even when they were just friends, they were never just friends.

I don't believe either of them ever intended to fall in love with each other, or anyone at all for that matter.  But I think by Season 6 they were not only both very much in love (I think that happened very early), but had both realized it.  I think Amy consciously realized she was in love, ergo, she wanted "all the things that people in love do and have."  End of story.  We know that Amy had actually wanted all the trappings of "normal" but just never got them ("I wish I could tell my 13 year old self if DOES get better" -  that statement is in 5.01.)  As soon as they were available to her she embraced girlfriends, shopping dates, sleepovers, a social group, etc.  She expected love to be no different when it came.

I think Sheldon probably realized he was in love at about the same time, but in his case I think it was entirely subconscious.  Unlike Amy he had never sought all the changes that had thusfar happened in his life.  He didn't want friends; his closeness with Leonard, Raj and Howard was not something he initially welcomed.  He didn't want a comfy apartment full of people hanging out together.  He didn't want to like Penny.  And he definitely didn't want to fall in love.  I think at the same time Amy was drawing closer wanting more because of her feelings, his subconscious had him pulling back, freaking out over his feelings, which was just an awful dynamic to witness.  I think Sheldon has been waging an internal war for quite a while.  He finally admitted he was "quite fond of Amy" but didn't want to think about what that really meant.  He knew he wanted more than a friendship, but resented that fact because that's not who he ever wanted to be.  He alternately tried to rationalize it away (I don't need this nonsense Amy is pushing, see we're fine without it and she should see that too) AND consicously tried change, working on some of his issues so he *could* be closer to her ("I'm working on it" when Penny asked him about a physical relationship in The Cooper-Kripke Inversion.)   Even the knowledge that he WANTED to change some things surely scared him to death and made him pull back while simultaneously pushing forward.  Thus we get a man who can admit "for me what we have is extrememly intimate," while at the same time griping about handholding.  He's been fighting this, and fighting for this all along.

I said it in one of my fics, but it is what I really believe:

The two of them had both changed so much…hers had been mostly effortless, dreams she had held since childhood being fulfilled, allowing her to open herself up and experience things she had wanted all along, things she had only been convinced she wouldn't have. Girlfriends to hang out with, a social group, a boyfriend, a physical relationship, love. Her changes had been met with joy inside her as she saw her 13 year old self's desires becoming reality. Sheldon's changes, however, had been hard-fought. He appeared not to have ever dreamed of the things he had now, had actively tried to avoid even friendships, let alone love. Yet when it came he opened up to it, however painfully, slowly, awkwardly. Their union, first their friendship, then their love, had turned her into someone she had always dreamed of becoming, while it had turned Sheldon into someone he had always feared becoming. No wonder he had had a more difficult time arriving there than she had, but walked through it with her, he had indeed.

 

Thank you.  So spot on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tmp said:

This may be one of those times they drop it for a few episodes.  After they became officially a couple, it wasn't brought back up again for a while.

I don't think they'll drop it for too long.

They've still got some ground to cover, before Sheldon proposes, in 6 episodes time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2015 13:58:38, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

What I love so much is the difference between these kisses. For starters, these 2 are the hottest kisses they've ever had! And yet when you compare them, the first kiss has Sheldon gently leaning into her at first and then pulling her in a little aggressively, expressing "I've missed you more than you know... I wish I'd kissed you like this a LONG time ago, and I hope it's okay that I'm surprising you with a kiss like this now..." image.gif.1b7cd70380af8b3868216308ac24f6

And then the second kiss.... oh my god he just crashes into her like... "oh thank god you pulled me back in because I wasn't done! I never want to lose you again, and I'm not holding back anymore. You're mine, and I'm gonna make damn sure you know and want that." <3

image.gif.f7956a98e9697d8a898930b80dcbf2

I don't know what hits me harder in this scene: the scorchingly hot shamy kiss (whoa! And it doens't even seem like it was open mouthed) or the hilarity of Dave's reaction. What the hell was that? Surprise? Excitement? Crazy dancing of joy? :laugh: 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Shamy couple will surely help a lots of shy girls and women to feel stronger and not to be affraid of love.

fille_mignonne_de_chibi_avec_des_invitat

Edited by Denzel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jlove said:

Their union, first their friendship, then their love, had turned her into someone she had always dreamed of becoming, while it had turned Sheldon into someone he had always feared becoming. No wonder he had had a more difficult time arriving there than she had, but walked through it with her, he had indeed.

Just quoting this part b/c lengths. I think this whole point (which has also been made by many others on the last pages, seems we are very much in agreement) is consistent with the writer's statements. In hindsight it seems like they realized at some point that they can play a long game with Sheldon and Amy here. Yeah yeah, we all heard them talking about how they don't plan ahead and that may be true for single episode plots and such - but the broad strokes seem to serve this overall narrative that only unfolds before your eyes when you take a step back and look at the years as a whole and not single episode beats. Not saying that they had a precise 5 year plan or anything but they certainly had a concrete idea of the character's inner workings and how to get them to change over time. It may not have always been the most pleasant thing to watch for us as shippers but ultimately there seemed to be at least some level of determination and purpose on the writer's end involved. Not every episode or gag was a winner, no doubt - and likewise some high points may have been just happy little accidents but, hey, that's writing for you!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, koops said:

find some new hobby to share together.

I think they found that, in Amy's bed. :icon_biggrin: 

6 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Bring on the ShAmy giving poor Leonard something to think about every time he walks through the door!!

I actually want Penny and Leonard to be freaked out, by knowing the Shamy are bumping ugglies, in Sheldon's bedroom.

It'd be a sweet revenge, for all the times Sheldon has had to put up with Leonard (with and without Penny), doing the same.

To quote Sheldon:-

Payback, it truly is the B word, isn’t it? :icon_biggrin: 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I think they found that, in Amy's bed. :icon_biggrin: 

 

Is there anyway that you cannot turn everything into something sexual?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlove said:

I don't believe that Sheldon was acting out during seasons 6 and 7 out of spite either.  I also don't believe for a minute that these two were ever "just friends," no matter what they themselves called it, and I believe they realize it now as well.  Case in point, as I said some time ago: they celebrated their 5th anniversary in May.  They consider their anniversary to be the day they met, not the date of The Flaming Spitoon Acquisition, a year and a half later.  Even when they were just friends, they were never just friends.

I don't believe either of them ever intended to fall in love with each other, or anyone at all for that matter.  But I think by Season 6 they were not only both very much in love (I think that happened very early), but had both realized it.  I think Amy consciously realized she was in love, ergo, she wanted "all the things that people in love do and have."  End of story.  We know that Amy had actually wanted all the trappings of "normal" but just never got them ("I wish I could tell my 13 year old self if DOES get better" -  that statement is in 5.01.)  As soon as they were available to her she embraced girlfriends, shopping dates, sleepovers, a social group, etc.  She expected love to be no different when it came.

I think Sheldon probably realized he was in love at about the same time, but in his case I think it was entirely subconscious.  Unlike Amy he had never sought all the changes that had thusfar happened in his life.  He didn't want friends; his closeness with Leonard, Raj and Howard was not something he initially welcomed.  He didn't want a comfy apartment full of people hanging out together.  He didn't want to like Penny.  And he definitely didn't want to fall in love.  I think at the same time Amy was drawing closer wanting more because of her feelings, his subconscious had him pulling back, freaking out over his feelings, which was just an awful dynamic to witness.  I think Sheldon has been waging an internal war for quite a while.  He finally admitted he was "quite fond of Amy" but didn't want to think about what that really meant.  He knew he wanted more than a friendship, but resented that fact because that's not who he ever wanted to be.  He alternately tried to rationalize it away (I don't need this nonsense Amy is pushing, see we're fine without it and she should see that too) AND consicously tried change, working on some of his issues so he *could* be closer to her ("I'm working on it" when Penny asked him about a physical relationship in The Cooper-Kripke Inversion.)   Even the knowledge that he WANTED to change some things surely scared him to death and made him pull back while simultaneously pushing forward.  Thus we get a man who can admit "for me what we have is extrememly intimate" and have D&D sex, while at the same time griping about handholding.  Then, he enjoyed kissing her and added it to their relationship, while continuing to roll his eyes about other physical activities.  He ignored all his friends' assertions that he should talk to Amy before applying to go to Mars, but was ready to propose to her 7 weeks later.  He's been fighting this, and fighting for this, all along.

I said it in one of my fics, but it is what I really believe:

The two of them had both changed so much…hers had been mostly effortless, dreams she had held since childhood being fulfilled, allowing her to open herself up and experience things she had wanted all along, things she had only been convinced she wouldn't have. Girlfriends to hang out with, a social group, a boyfriend, a physical relationship, love. Her changes had been met with joy inside her as she saw her 13 year old self's desires becoming reality. Sheldon's changes, however, had been hard-fought. He appeared not to have ever dreamed of the things he had now, had actively tried to avoid even friendships, let alone love. Yet when it came he opened up to it, however painfully, slowly, awkwardly. Their union, first their friendship, then their love, had turned her into someone she had always dreamed of becoming, while it had turned Sheldon into someone he had always feared becoming. No wonder he had had a more difficult time arriving there than she had, but walked through it with her, he had indeed.

 

Yes yes yes! Very well said!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, koops said:

Like Germany after the Cold War.

Fascinating subject.

Having stood with one foot in (what was) East Berlin, and one foot in (what was) West Berlin, I can honestly say, the division is a weird thing to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.