The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I think 7x16 showed what parameters are established for break up. You have to sign the notion. There was no such thing, so now break up to speak of. At least if writers won't decide to rewrite history. Some time to think or "not being together" could be interpreted many ways and understood as a break up for any conventional couple, but the difference here is that they have all of it structured to avoid this "confusions" in writing. We know their parameters and they were not met. I think I understand Sheldon's fondness for this agreement, it is in fact, quite soothing :)

Actually, Tallin  I agree with you on this one. They have NOT broken up. I guess the most accurate description is that they are having their "not being together at this time" time. As you so eloquently put it, the parameters of a break up have not been met. However, if I were you, I wouldn't feel totally secure that the writers will not re-write history. Let's hope they don't , but as a Lenny, I tell you that they have done so before so many times that one wonders if they even know the meaning of the word continuity. Let's hope they don't do away with it this time.

While there have been continuity issues Tallin does not need to worry. For TBBT Amy's essential role is in her relationship with Sheldon.  To keep her character interacting with the rest she needs the connection to Sheldon. She does not live across the hall like Penny. The break can't really amount to much.

Amy on a break is not going to move into the building.

• Like 6

Agree... Amy can have, of course,  some of girls nights but, beside that, she has very  few opportunities to interact with the others, if she is not with Sheldon. And I don't think  there's room in a 20 minutes show to give her an independent horizontal plot (she is a supporting character...), so I guess there will be some in-between situation for a while (not too long, I hope, but enough to make them really progress in the relationship) and then hopefully everything will be ok

• Like 3

I agree with the continuity Carlos but djsurrey also made a good point. Amy's and Bernadette's characters were never developed enough outside their relationships to work without them, Amy still is just a supporting character.. Plus I agree with mirs1, there is really not enough room for Amy it would have to split the group in even more independent storylines. I still have the feeling the show works best with just one or two big plots. 

• Like 5

You know what, Tallin? I don't know if I agree with you completely. Bernadette is not very developed, and lately they've made her even more one dimensional by making her almost constantly mean. However I do think that Amy, while being a supporting character is developed enough that I can see her as an "almost" main character. I also think she could have a story line to herself. the only thing needed would be to stretch story arcs through various episodes. I'd hope they'd do that and let stories breathe a little more , give them more space and not bore us to tears with dreck as the Sheldon Penny "love test" or whatever the heck that crap was called.

You know what, Tallin? I don't know if I agree with you completely. Bernadette is not very developed, and lately they've made her even more one dimensional by making her almost constantly mean. However I do think that Amy, while being a supporting character is developed enough that I can see her as an "almost" main character. I also think she could have a story line to herself. the only thing needed would be to stretch story arcs through various episodes. I'd hope they'd do that and let stories breathe a little more , give them more space and not bore us to tears with dreck as the Sheldon Penny "love test" or whatever the heck that crap was called.

I think it was the writers once again trying to let the Shenny's know that "romantic" Shenny would never happen AND why.  They see each other like siblings.  That's the way the writers see them, invision them and have played them and it seems (IMO) it wasn't a coincidence.  A few weeks before that taping report, Bill was having some more Shenny harassing tweets and it just seemed like he was answering them back with that episode.  But that's just my opinion on why that episode seemed to come  out of the blue like that.

• Like 3

I'm fine if they want to give Amy her own storyline, it just depends on what that storyline is. I know other people may disagree but I personally really don't want to see Amy go out with somebody else, even if it's only short-term or just one date. IMO the only way for Amy to truly resolve her relationship issues with Sheldon is to openly communicate with him, rather than playing the field and seeing what else is out there. I also don't like anything that puts Shamy in jeopardy! But hopefully this will never happen because they technically did not break up!!!

I also agree with tallin in that the show works best with one or two big plots. I personally thought that the Season 8 finale was a little overcrowded with four separate plots, all of which could have been developed so much more within the episode.

And yeah, I think the entire point behind 'Intimacy Acceleration' was to sink the Shenny ship once and for all, which they certainly did :) 

Edited by The Mushroom Log
  • Like 4

Without The Intimacy Acceleration, I think I would have spent the summer fearing a romantic shenny scenario in season 9,  so, even if I didn't like that much the episode at the time, now I'm very grateful for it!  I know everything can happen, but at least my shamy-related summer si safe!

Edited by mirs1
typo

I actually happen to disagree with you girls. No one in their right mind should have feared romantic Shenny ever. I've always considered it nothing but a fantasy of a vocal minority. I also don't want to see Amy playing the field because that would be totally OOC, but I want to see them work through their issues , and not just sweep them under the rug. The "separation" is healthy and great if it leads to real growth which I hope is the case with Sheldon. I really hope it wasn't just a trick to make us worry over the summer.

• Like 2

I actually happen to disagree with you girls. No one in their right mind should have feared romantic Shenny ever. I've always considered it nothing but a fantasy of a vocal minority. I also don't want to see Amy playing the field because that would be totally OOC, but I want to see them work through their issues , and not just sweep them under the rug. The "separation" is healthy and great if it leads to real growth which I hope is the case with Sheldon. I really hope it wasn't just a trick to make us worry over the summer.

Could not agree with you more. I never feared romantic Shenny as it seems to me that Shamy are endgame, but unfortunately Shenny seems to be quite a popular ship among casual fans for some reason. Just scroll through comments on the various Facebook pages and you will no doubt be confronted with Shenny shippers.

Amy playing the field would definitely be OOC (and one of my worst nightmares tbh) but then again, a couple of years ago we also would have said that Sheldon being involved in a makeout session would also be OOC (let alone having a ring). We never know what the writers will pull.

• Like 1

I also think they should take their time  to solve the situation, I will hate a season premiere like 8.1, where all isssues were just ignored and never really solved. So, the separation is more than fine to me, but i don't want that the writers full it with them living completely different lives until Sheldon discovers that he has "grown"....i want them to spend time together, talk and do whatever they need to work things out....

• Like 3

I want that too, as long as the writers don't beat around the bush and drag it on until late in the season. In a perfect world, they'll have this issue resolved by Christmas.

• Like 1

Tbh... Initially when I watched the season finale, I thought they would just pick up where they left off. Like a "to be continued" sort of thing, not a full four months after. I mean think about it, they wouldn't just leave us hanging as to what was happening with the Lenny plot. In the same sense, I think they'll play with the fact that Sheldon will not let Amy go. He might go to her apartment straight after their conversation and they'll talk. They DO need to communicate. However, I don't think it's a good idea for them to sort it out in the first Ep. I reckon a little pain and suffering is needed. But idk... it might just be my wishful Shamy thinking :)

• Like 3

While I see where you coming from, Amy had A LOT of screen time this year, imagine the scenario where Sheldon would not be here at all. How many bigger plots would she have? One, or two? We don't know her family, know very little about her past, didn't saw her doing some serious research, really nothing much aside her relationship and interactions with girls. She could of course have bigger scientific plot or plots with girls and I'm all for it, but she is obligated to be in every episode but at the same time because of limited screen time and repetitiveness it could be just I guess one to three plots like that per year. Without Sheldon I guess she would have just some line here and there, which I think would be shame because (I don't know how it would be for you - don't know your opinion), but for me Mayim is great actress and I enjoy her handle on Amy very much.Plus I think it would be little pointless for her to even be on the show. Don't know how writers would feel about stretching the story arcs, while they have this "one plot, let's forget about it" attitude. But at least this season finale deserves way more for both couples. 

I liked Sheldon/Penny scenes before when they had this "dumb/clueless" vibe with funny teasing, but their current approach makes me more bored than entertained, so I don't really have to see them together.  But that's just me. 

• Like 2

Tbh... Initially when I watched the season finale, I thought they would just pick up where they left off. Like a "to be continued" sort of thing, not a full four months after. I mean think about it, they wouldn't just leave us hanging as to what was happening with the Lenny plot. In the same sense, I think they'll play with the fact that Sheldon will not let Amy go. He might go to her apartment straight after their conversation and they'll talk. They DO need to communicate. However, I don't think it's a good idea for them to sort it out in the first Ep. I reckon a little pain and suffering is needed. But idk... it might just be my wishful Shamy thinking :)

I think the Lenny plot makes it very awkward to try and start four months later. The most logical scenario is for them to either pick up right where they left off or a few days later. 

They will most definitely play around with Sheldon not wanting to let Amy go...whether this will happen in the first episode, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't complain if it did, but I think there needs to be a little bit of pining...make Sheldon realise just how much he wants Amy.

I'm not too worried about Shamy though. I think the best is still yet to come :) 

• Like 2

What I don't want to see is another four-plot episode...I hope for the premiere they will focus on one of the cliffhanger only (Lenny's seems the right one for me, at least for the wedding part) and just address to shamy's one, but without solving it completely in the first episode....anyway, more time to breathe for all  characters (and for us all!!!!)

• Like 3

I hope for the premiere they will focus on one of the cliffhanger only (Lenny's seems the right one for me, at least for the wedding part) and just address to shamy's one, but without solving it completely in the first episode....anyway, more time to breathe for all  characters (and for us all!!!!)

That would be perfect :) 

• Like 1

I don't know I am to impatient I need something Shamy in the premiere! Even if they just have an awkward encounter filled with longing looks. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I hope for the premiere they will focus on one of the cliffhanger only (Lenny's seems the right one for me, at least for the wedding part) and just address to shamy's one, but without solving it completely in the first episode....anyway, more time to breathe for all  characters (and for us all!!!!)

That would be perfect :) 

I would love the premiere to focus on Lenny with some Shamy awkwardness.  The second Ep should be the Shamy with Lenny passive aggressiveness.  Lenny tries to help the couple to the point where a Shamy fight is taken over by Lenny who finally get their true feelings out. Shamy see their fight taken over and then really talk with a promise to not turn into their best friends.

• Like 1

Its likely gonna pick up only a day or two later,  like others have said, the lenny situation needs to be addressed

I said in the discussion thread a while back that i think what could happen in the premiere is that Lenny return home,  they find out shamy situation and Penny takes Sheldon to her apartment for some of their famous sibling bonding while leonard is left on his own and Raj who is scared of Emily will spwnd the episode with Amy

Edited by rachelshamyfan

I think it'll be solved fairly quickly, I think within the first 3 episodes. I still believe that it came out of nowhere so I don't really think the writers put much thought into the aftermath, I don't know we'll see. They can only do so much with them being apart and not having any scenes with the whole gang/with shamy together, and it's not a real break up anyway.

I am in need of a besties scene out of all this though please. Praying to Bolaro, this is what I deserve after all you have put me through. :p Also this is my first post here. Hi Shamy S9.

• Like 6

They could do what they did in season 5.   Start within a day or two, and have the jump at the end of the episode.  

I think it'll be solved fairly quickly, I think within the first 3 episodes. I still believe that it came out of nowhere so I don't really think the writers put much thought into the aftermath, I don't know we'll see. They can only do so much with them being apart and not having any scenes with the whole gang/with shamy together, and it's not a real break up anyway.

I am in need of a besties scene out of all this though please. Praying to Bolaro, this is what I deserve after all you have put me through. :p Also this is my first post here. Hi Shamy S9.

Upon thinking about it some more, I don't think the ring came out of nowhere anymore.  When the guys where thinking about investing in Stuart's comic book store, Sheldon said  something to the guys about talking it over with their wives/finances and then we see him talking to Amy about it.  

And during the turtle episode, Amy said she wanted to plan their future together.  I think marriage has been on his mind and he just decided to ask her eventually.  When exactly that was going to happen?  Who knows.  Hopefully we find out when he was going to ask her, how long he's had the ring, and when or where he got it (is it a family heirloom that Mary brought with her during her last visit or did he get it on his own?).

• Like 4