Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I imagine after their night together they'll wake up and Amy will smile and say "Last night was incredible" and Sheldon will say "Good. Because we're gonna do it again..." <3 

cKOG4a8.gif

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, zaichina said:

aww man, what gets me here it's the lips and seeing his clothes on the side, dear lord!!!

Holy moly! I hadn't noticed the clothes before. Deep breaths!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, zaichina said:

aww man, what gets me here it's the lips and seeing his clothes on the side, dear lord!!!

OMG I didn't noticed that before!!! His clothes!!!

DEAD.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Man, of all weeks to have the office Christmas retreat... (BTW, to Spanish fellow Shamies, your country is lovely and Manchego is ambrosia.)

Now, my only experience of this episode has been clips and .gifs, so I might properly watch the episode and come back saying 'IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID.'

The good (so much good):

- 'WHY ARE YOU SO STRONG?!?'

- In general, the running gag with the earworm was fantastic.

- Sheldon's vlogs where he talks about Penny and Leonard! I really like that the show was so careful to note that, while Sheldon going after Amy was the capper of this episode, there was a more general theme of Sheldon expressing his appreciation of his old and dear friends.

- Weren't Lenny charming? Lint trapper, indeed.

- Dave. Gawky, towering, gentle, generous Dave.

The bad (and not even 'bad' so much as '.....was this really the best way you could do this?'):

- The cheese! Now, I love me some cheese (mmmmmm.... Manchego), but the impassioned third-act declaration interrupting a date....I could not. I am sorry, I am sorry, my superego is stronger than I knew. I loved the kissing, I loved the 'I love you', I loved the way Amy squealed 'Get back in here!', and the performances throughout were wonderful, but I was POWERFULLY torn between the squee and the cringe, and the cringe won. I am sorry, I am sorry, it did.

- Ages back, when we first heard about Dave's character, I bitterly speculated that we were in for months of Sheldon and Amy dating other people, which would only end when Sheldon interrupted Dave and Amy's wedding. I may even have wondered whether Dave would selflessly give Amy up, while Amy blushingly and meekly consented to being handed from one tall dude to another tall dude. Now that is not, thank God, exactly what happened. But the memory is too strong, and the parallels too uncomfortably clear, for me to like the way the reconciliation happened.

- Because, fundamentally- Amy, girl, why were you even with Dave? I get it, you're hurting, you're rudderless and maybe you want the ego boost of a man who is interested in you. Maybe subconsciously you want this exact man because the two of you are united in your adoration of Sheldon. I get what you're going for, writers, I do. Doesn't mean I don't grit my teeth a little. Did Amy really have to drift from Sheldon to Dave, and wait, wringing her hands, to be rescued by Sheldon? Would it have killed you to have her throw herself into work and have Sheldon interrupt a lecture or a seminar, if you desperately needed him to interrupt something and snog Amy in front of an appreciative audience? Can Amy only breathe now if she is being squired by a man? Has she forgotten that she doesn't, you know, actually need to be dating anybody? I say 'forgotten', because Amy did use to know that. Has falling in love and getting her heart broken made her forget? Because, if so, I warn you, writers, you are not selling falling in love as a growth experience for Amy.

- And- even if you needed Amy to be on a date for the homage to Spittoon to work- did Amy really need to be rescued by Sheldon? I was following the controversy where jena and 2L wondered what would have happened if Sheldon hadn't shown up. I like to think that Amy would have come to her senses, said 'The fuck am I doing? How about I concentrate on myself for a while, instead of settling for someone who doesn't particularly turn my crank?', and sent Dave on his way with a friendly handshake. I like to think that, but I agree that the possibility that Amy and Dave would go further was not squashed by Amy herself. Instead, we all winced as Amy and Dave drew closer- yes, yes, so that the impact of Sheldon's arrival would be enhanced. Again, I get what you're going for, writers. But Sheldon had already had so many, many epiphanies. Would it have killed you to allow Amy this moment of clarity and autonomy? To say 'You know, Dave, how about no?' before Sheldon knocked on the door? I know, I know, you wanted the moment. you wanted the dread. You wanted the suspense. I only wanted Amy to take a stand for what she wanted, instead of leaving the really sour feeling in my mouth that Amy needed the intervention of Sheldon- and then Dave to give Sheldon permission to kiss her.

 

BUT! Bring on next episode, and Amy looking giddy and delighted and so very beautiful (and still very Amy) in that charming nightie!

yeah i agree with a lot of what you said here regarding Shamy. i didnt care for Amy picking up the phone so soon after her failed reconciliation. i did argue the point that as a rebound date it is plausible and that the question of how far she was willing to take that date remains unknown ( though most of everyone's reaction to this suggestion was negative)...i nonetheless couldve done without the date. dave is an interesting character that i would enjoy seeing more of, but i just didnt need to see her revisit the date...

this episode could have easily been written with sheldon having his epiphany and running to Amy's apartment and interrupting a sad harp playing session, and the rest is history. it can be argued that without dave who knows how long sheldon wouldve stumbled through his speech. and lets face it, dave at the door was funny as hell. 

bottom line is, i dont think we needed to see a dave date and didnt need to see amy trying to go there. it was too soon. 

thankfully all is well that ends well!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Actually, it just "you shut your mouth".

They cut it in the commercial, but Thursday you will see.  Read the TR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Man, of all weeks to have the office Christmas retreat... (BTW, to Spanish fellow Shamies, your country is lovely and Manchego is ambrosia.)

Now, my only experience of this episode has been clips and .gifs, so I might properly watch the episode and come back saying 'IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID.'

The good (so much good):

- 'WHY ARE YOU SO STRONG?!?'

- In general, the running gag with the earworm was fantastic.

- Sheldon's vlogs where he talks about Penny and Leonard! I really like that the show was so careful to note that, while Sheldon going after Amy was the capper of this episode, there was a more general theme of Sheldon expressing his appreciation of his old and dear friends.

- Weren't Lenny charming? Lint trapper, indeed.

- Dave. Gawky, towering, gentle, generous Dave.

The bad (and not even 'bad' so much as '.....was this really the best way you could do this?'):

- The cheese! Now, I love me some cheese (mmmmmm.... Manchego), but the impassioned third-act declaration interrupting a date....I could not. I am sorry, I am sorry, my superego is stronger than I knew. I loved the kissing, I loved the 'I love you', I loved the way Amy squealed 'Get back in here!', and the performances throughout were wonderful, but I was POWERFULLY torn between the squee and the cringe, and the cringe won. I am sorry, I am sorry, it did.

- Ages back, when we first heard about Dave's character, I bitterly speculated that we were in for months of Sheldon and Amy dating other people, which would only end when Sheldon interrupted Dave and Amy's wedding. I may even have wondered whether Dave would selflessly give Amy up, while Amy blushingly and meekly consented to being handed from one tall dude to another tall dude. Now that is not, thank God, exactly what happened. But the memory is too strong, and the parallels too uncomfortably clear, for me to like the way the reconciliation happened.

- Because, fundamentally- Amy, girl, why were you even with Dave? I get it, you're hurting, you're rudderless and maybe you want the ego boost of a man who is interested in you. Maybe subconsciously you want this exact man because the two of you are united in your adoration of Sheldon. I get what you're going for, writers, I do. Doesn't mean I don't grit my teeth a little. Did Amy really have to drift from Sheldon to Dave, and wait, wringing her hands, to be rescued by Sheldon? Would it have killed you to have her throw herself into work and have Sheldon interrupt a lecture or a seminar, if you desperately needed him to interrupt something and snog Amy in front of an appreciative audience? Can Amy only breathe now if she is being squired by a man? Has she forgotten that she doesn't, you know, actually need to be dating anybody? I say 'forgotten', because Amy did use to know that. Has falling in love and getting her heart broken made her forget? Because, if so, I warn you, writers, you are not selling falling in love as a growth experience for Amy.

- And- even if you needed Amy to be on a date for the homage to Spittoon to work- did Amy really need to be rescued by Sheldon? I was following the controversy where jena and 2L wondered what would have happened if Sheldon hadn't shown up. I like to think that Amy would have come to her senses, said 'The fuck am I doing? How about I concentrate on myself for a while, instead of settling for someone who doesn't particularly turn my crank?', and sent Dave on his way with a friendly handshake. I like to think that, but I agree that the possibility that Amy and Dave would go further was not squashed by Amy herself. Instead, we all winced as Amy and Dave drew closer- yes, yes, so that the impact of Sheldon's arrival would be enhanced. Again, I get what you're going for, writers. But Sheldon had already had so many, many epiphanies. Would it have killed you to allow Amy this moment of clarity and autonomy? To say 'You know, Dave, how about no?' before Sheldon knocked on the door? I know, I know, you wanted the moment. you wanted the dread. You wanted the suspense. I only wanted Amy to take a stand for what she wanted, instead of leaving the really sour feeling in my mouth that Amy needed the intervention of Sheldon- and then Dave to give Sheldon permission to kiss her.

 

BUT! Bring on next episode, and Amy looking giddy and delighted and so very beautiful (and still very Amy) in that charming nightie!

I don't know how I went the entire day liking posts and never saw this.   I'm glad I went back in my notifications and found it.

Such a lovely expression and philosophically well written as always. I swear sometimes I believe you are a descendent of Shakespeare, James Joyce, T. S. Eliot, etc.   Very few people write like this, and I love every post you make.

I agree that sometimes the writers really do Amy a disservice in favor of telling Sheldon's story in such a way that she just seems desperate at times.  

Another thing that I don't understand.   They went to the trouble to create an episode making a big deal about Amy getting her ears pierced, and yet I've never seen her wearing earrings since.  

 

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something that cracks me up during the doorway kissing scene is that while Jim only has to concentrate on kissing Mayim, Mayim has to keep kissing and be alert to Daves line so she can kick the door shut

I know they rehearsal it but that bit can't of been easy

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

I think one of the reasons for Dave being there was to emphasis the fact that Sheldon’s priority is Amy, even when someone is fanboying him.

I think his epiphany and the urgent manner in which he fled the apartment did that for me. Don't get me wrong, Dave is super funny and I enjoyed his screen time on the show. I would actually like to see him guest appear again if possible, though I think he served his purpose and that'll be that. But as a fan of Amy I just haven't enjoyed some of the traits I've seen of her in this season. This includes the way she was made to break up after season 8 when things were moving along faster than they ever had, the seemingly indifferent manner in which her character treated the break up, the pretentious manner in which she approached reconciliation at the end of the aquarium day, and now the speedy timing of her renewed acquaintance with Dave once Sheldon turned down the gf offer. Just blah lol.....

It's a sitcom, I'm glad the writers didn't drag the break up out any longer, I'm super happy Shamy is alive and seemingly better than ever now, and that thankfully this side of Amy that I'm not a fan of is over.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree, we've all had spirited debates on the break up in this forum for the last couple of months! This is just my own feelings on it. I'm glad that this last date with Dave puts an end to all of that break up angst, and my own sour take on Amy's season 9 behavior.

Super stoked for 9.12!!

 

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have said at one of my friends that shamy will have sex, she said : oh it will be weird with Sheldon and his distant attitude. Well, she doesn't see the kiss in 9.10 and Sheldon not distant at all. :icon_cheesygrin:

In fact, she didn't watch the seasons 8 and 9, so she didn't see all Sheldon growth.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the Shamy getting-back-together-and-finally-consummating-their-relationship thing, I did the no-spoiler route to surprise myself with any Shamy goodness but freakin' failed.. I just had to go the read the taping report for The Sales Call Sublimation. It's kinda sweet how Sheldon tells Amy he misses her while away for a conference and "fighting" for the "right" to name the asteroid as Amy. Imo, naming their kids something with Raj ain't bad either, they just have to be creative about it.

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
18 minutes ago, Chelle said:

With all the Shamy getting-back-together-and-finally-consummating-their-relationship thing, I did the no-spoiler route to surprise myself with any Shamy goodness but freakin' failed.. I just had to go the read the taping report for The Sales Call Sublimation. It's kinda sweet how Sheldon tells Amy he misses her while away for a conference and "fighting" for the "right" to name the asteroid as Amy. Imo, naming their kids something with Raj ain't bad either, they just have to be creative about it.

I can identify with you.  I tried doing the no-spoiler route myself and failed also.  The Shamy goodness in The Sales Call Sublimation is sweet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a screener for The Opening Excitation on Friday. It was really good and quite funny.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding would Amy have slept with Dave (that same night ) if Sheldon hasn't showed up i'm with those who say total No!  

I just can't see her going for more than a few kisses. I think sex with Dave (not just sex but actually anything more than close-mouthed kisses) is smth she obviously doesn't want physically (i think body language + facial expressions say it all), but might want emotionally, like , "to finally go through with it" or smth.
And when you're in a situation like that, when you wanna do something cause your mind tells you to, but it's physically unpleasant, you need to have 2 things at least :
1. you need to be detached from your feelings (physical and emotional)
2. you need to have experience in what you want to do.

I see Amy as someone who's in tune with her feelings, much more than for example Penny (that's not to bring Penny down, i love her and totally don't mind that side of her), so i think it would be pretty hard for her to go for rebound sex even if she was experienced. But she's also inexperienced, so on top of feeling shitty emotionally, it's also physically would be potentially scary (esp. with 6'7 David.... as someone who's same height as Amy ugh i wouldn't wanna go through that x D )  & awkward.. So no, i think as soon as they would go to french kissing she would definitely feel that's not what she wants, if she's shy to stop him then, then max. at 2n base all her rational thoughts ("it's impolite") would disappear and she would just jump away and tell Dave she couldn't do it.
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.