The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

1 hour ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

Kind of off the current topic at hand, but your post made me think about the fact that as much as we all hope Sheldon is no longer so closed off to romance and intimacy with Amy since their reconciliation, I also really hope Amy is less of a (for lack of a better word here) jerk about Sheldon's love of "dopey space movies" and such. I

I hear what you're saying.  I'm hoping the fact that Amy went to see the new Star Wars movie with him speaks to that a bit.  The other girls, if I understand right from the TR, did not go with their guys, but Amy did.  :shy:  :giveheart:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, April said:

Regarding Amy being condescending about geeky movies/tv shows/etc. that Sheldon likes:

I always think the best solution to that is just give them a franchise they could both enjoy. I vote for The X-Files, btw. Having Sheldon and Amy binge watch the whole thing in preparation for the upcoming 10th season would be glorious! A girl can dream, oh well...

I need a gif of Raj going "YEEEEES" and clapping from Prom for this! Especially now with the revival coming on, I STRONGLY endorse this idea.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, April said:

Regarding Amy being condescending about geeky movies/tv shows/etc. that Sheldon likes:

I always think the best solution to that is just give them a franchise they could both enjoy. I vote for The X-Files, btw. Having Sheldon and Amy binge watch the whole thing in preparation for the upcoming 10th season would be glorious! A girl can dream, oh well...

I like that idea. Or doctor who/ game of thrones. They are so adorable when they are on the same page. What I might even enjoy is if the two of them start writing some horrifyingly abstruse-sounding show/book/board game themselves. Sheldon+amy+arcane project+bewildered muggles=happy wowbagger.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, jlove said:

I hear what you're saying.  I'm hoping the fact that Amy went to see the new Star Wars movie with him speaks to that a bit.  The other girls, if I understand right from the TR, did not go with their guys, but Amy did.  :shy:  :giveheart:

I agree.  I can attest to the fact that there were many things I did not like doing with my geeky husband at first, but I grew into them and now love them.   Now that Sheldon and Amy are "complete" and spending more time together, I can see her taking more interest in Sheldon's hobbies and vice versa.  I, too, hope that it starts with her appreciation for SW. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, koops said:

I need a gif of Raj going "YEEEEES" and clapping from Prom for this! Especially now with the revival coming on, I STRONGLY endorse this idea.

RIGHT??? I know they referenced The X-Files on TBBT before - but that's been a long time ago by now. It's one of THE nerdy franchise giants coming back to life. It would be so utterly perfect to do something with that! Though as said, preferably I'd just hand that over to Sheldon and Amy - they'd spend a lot of time together that way, have probably a ton of fun and the writers could probably even throw a few stupid jokes in there comparing their chaste physical relationship to Scully and Mulder.... or something.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, koops said:

Or the irony that Shamy consummated far faster than Mulder and Scully :p

But more than anything I could totally start to see them arguing about the plots until eventually they end up talking like the characters. I always thought their bickering over the implausibility of his "dopey space movies" was very much like M&S's bickering over the paranormal. It would be so easy for them to slip into that. "Amy, why can't you believe?!" "Because there's got to be a logical explanation for this!"

LMAO Idk if the rest of the gang even knows that they consummated their relationship, yet. They most likely do, but if not and say, Howard and Raj still don't know I'd find it hilarious if they'd find out thanks to a remark like that. I'm easily amused, I know.

BIG YES!!! to the other thing. I want this so much you have no idea - the comedy would write itself!! They could also neatly switch positions just like Scully and Mulder when it comes to the religious stories: "That sounds just like the nonsense coming from my mother and her bible group!" lol

Edited by April
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, koops said:

Or the irony that Shamy consummated far faster than Mulder and Scully :p

Wait, Shamy was faster than something? I'm shocked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowbagger said:

But, also, I stick my hand up and admit that I am sensitive when it comes the depiction of female characters, and the recent depiction of Amy in particular. Sheldon has tonnes of episodes where he has career plots, or pop-culture plots, or existential angst plots. Sheldon is 'allowed', in my eyes, to have a long string of romantic plots, precisely because I know that his characterisation is more multi-faceted. Amy (with a few glorious exceptions) has been allowed so little outside of romance in S9, and she has been so....absent....in even her romantic plots (Sheldon proposes, Amy disposes. Sheldon acts, Amy reacts) that it bugged me that a chance to give Amy a really definite moment in this episode was missed. And sorry, I really, really, really gnash my teeth at the Damsel in Distress thing- precisely because it is so bloody overdone.

- I said before that I hope Amy would have come to her senses. My objection was never that I think she would actually have boffed Dave (and, hey, why shouldn't she, if she wants to?). My objection is that the writers, in order to hammer home a visual joke, set the capper on what I, personally, think was an almost (almost, but not quite, thank God!)-unbroken run of episodes that systematically stripped Amy of anything resembling clear purpose or agency- a string of episodes that had turned my favourite character into a dead-eyed marionette, listlessly jerking into whatever action the writers needed to tell Sheldon's story. 

I absolutely understand the desire not to have Amy evolve into a woman who needs a man to feel complete, and I would personally hate to see that happen. But I just don't see that happening here. Before Amy met Sheldon, she was not looking for a romantic relationship, and she was, as far as we know, quite fulfilled in her professional life. She's always been shown as a success in her field, but over the last 5 years we've also seen him come to recognize that she wants to have a fulfilling romantic life as well. Her preference was to have that with Sheldon, but she chose to walk away from him when it seemed he was never going to give her what she needed.

Dr. Fowler has already proved, many times over, that she doesn't need a man, but through her relationship with Sheldon she discovered that a mutually-fulfilling romantic relationship is something she wants to have in her life. Once she learned that Sheldon had been asking women out, she believed the door she had closed was going to stay closed, so she picked herself up and set about the process of finding someone new. Amy could have thrown herself back into her work at this point, and I certainly wouldn't have minded some mention of her in the lab or some new study she's conducting, but I believe that choosing to start dating was a proactive move on her part. Wanting a life partner is a legitimate desire. She wasn't going to remain alone for the rest of her life waiting on Sheldon; she was going to do what she needed to find what she wanted.

Her years without a relationship and her decision to walk away from Sheldon when their relationship was arguably in a better place than it had been before already show us she's not afraid to be alone. The way she handled the aftermath of their breakup (putting herself out there, arranging dates on her own) show us she's also not afraid to go after what she wants.

I’m both a romantic and a feminist, so I’m very happy that (1) Amy was strong enough to end her relationship with Sheldon and try to find a new one with a man who would make her a priority AND that  (2) none of her dates got very serious before she and Sheldon found their way back to each other.

Edited by Gbb
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Wait, Shamy was faster than something? I'm shocked.

By 2 years even! Not to mention that you don't really get to see much of the action on TXF because it's happening off screen and is just vaguely implied. You do not know the pains of shipping until you shipped Scully and Mulder, let me tell you that! lol

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jenafan said:

On an off topic, as I am writing my new story expanding on the scenes from 9.10 and 9.11, it occurred to me that Amy wears her watch on her right arm.   Has anyone else noticed this?    It's just something else that makes her unique to me.

yeah i did lol, and i also thought it is quirky that its a basic black casio digital. like who wears those anymore (no offense to those that do!). i mean i had one but it was in the 80s lol

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

yeah i did lol, and i also thought it is quirky that its a basic black casio digital. like who wears those anymore (no offense to those that do!). i mean i had one but it was in the 80s lol

Actually those are cool again! No hipster is fully dressed without one :)

They come in some really cool colours now too:

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/advanced_search_result.php?brand[110]=110 

• Like 1

And can we also remember that Amy didn't go on a date every week during the 6 month break up.  It was 6 dates with only 3 different men (one of them being Dave).  That averages out to one date a MONTH!  Maybe she really did through herself into her work and we didn't hear or see it.

• Like 3

Today's Shamy text (bit early but I'm heading off to work). Takes place the night before reconciliation :biggrin::

image.jpeg.98ceece80a383ada949e49d0d7f7a

• Like 5

2 hours ago, camelliayao said:

While I do think it's better if Amy enjoys some of Sheldon's hobbies more, I don't think "Amy's much more degrading about Sheldon's interests than he was about hers". It leaves us the impression that Amy complains more because when they're together, they always do things Sheldon likes.

Remember in 8.12 Penny said "we girls always do things you guys want"? If it's the case with Penny, imagine how much worse it will be with Amy. We do know Sheldon watches French movies and maybe listens to harp music with her. But I don't think that happens very often, considering for most of their date nights, they stay at Sheldon's home or go to a restaurant.

Amy said they had more conversation within the two days after their breakup than two months when they were together. So we know they don't stay with each other that much. And for most ot the time they are together, they do things Sheldon likes. Frankly, if my boyfriend only talks about himself on our dates, kisses me once a month, have sex with me once a year and makes me watch some movie several dozens times (maybe more), I will break up with him the first chance I get lol.

I think it bugs you because whenever Sheldon does something for Amy, the writers go out their ways to make sure the audience will remember it. They usually shoot a scene or even an episode about it. But what Amy does for Sheldon usually happens offscreen or is mentioned in lines.

Penny grows to like some of the nerd stuff because A, she still complains about or mocks them; B, Penny doesn't really have her own hobbies, well maybe watching movies can count as one (I'm not saying anything bad about Penny here). But Amy does have her own hobbies and they're quite different from Sheldon's.

At the end of the day, you can't force people to like things. Like after all these years, Sheldon still hates Valantine's day, even if every year Amy tries her best to make it a enjoyable experience for him, but nah, no use. So how do you expect Amy to actually enjoy something she didn't like in the first place but was forced to do it again and again for five years? She's just a girl, a human, not a saint or some Sheldon Cooper custom-made girlfriend who's designed to cater to his eveny need, to stay with him when he feels like it and to walk away quietly whenever he doesn't want to be bothered. Well she may used to be, and it leads to their break up, remember?

I definitely don't want or expect either of them to suddenly become whipped and just love absolutely everything the other is into just to constantly be around each other, but I would kind of like to see a slight attitude change from Amy. I have no problem with the little jabs from the girls or guys poking fun at their hobbies - I actually think that adds a lot of comedy to the show! It was her pent up resentment that led to occasional condescension that bothers me. 

I do sympathize with her because I know a lot of it is because she always felt like she was in competition with those hobbies for his attention. (PLENTY of examples for that!)

And yes, like you said, it does seem that what sweet things Amy does for Sheldon as far as his interests mostly take place offscreen whereas Sheldon's dedication to Amy is more exaggerated on screen such as doing basket weaving with her or talking to Bernadette about how "her eyes sparkle when they watch old French movies, and her fingers dance when she hears harp music as if she's playing along...", and that is the writers' way of showing that Sheldon isn't the Scrooge of romance that he tries to make himself out to be :) With Amy they didn't show that as much because I think we're supposed to assume, "hey she's still with him despite all his Sheldon behavior, so that's enough to tell us she's dedicated" (well, I'm exaggerating here but you know what I mean). And maybe it is just the writers creating the illusion that Amy is the overall more tolerant/patient one because we more often see Sheldon being a pain and Amy putting up with it, with the occasional sprinkles of scenes where Sheldon does something really romantic (and usually inadvertently). But because of this we rarely see Amy caught in a moment admiring the love he has for his hobbies like that. 

That's why I love The Fortification Implementation (yay! shout out to my forum name!) -- Amy has every right to be annoyed with Sheldon being inattentive and unappreciative on date night, but she makes him feel better by building a fort with him, and in doing so, they had their first sleepover... a big step for them (it was a big fort)! Which just shows me that when she is supportive despite his juvenile behavior, their relationship strengthens. And I hope we get to see them more in this fashion as Shamy 2.0! 

....Okay I just wrote all this and I realize maybe I'm not giving Amy enough credit, because I can think of plenty of brief instances where it is shown that she engaged in his hobbies. It's seriously those very few times she's bitchy to him about his interests that stick out and get to me. And like I said, they're doing this with Bernadette now and ughhhhhh... lol

So I'm certainly not saying I want Amy to get into all of Sheldon's interests all of a sudden (or vice versa), but I hope TPTB stop writing her those sporadic condescending lines. And I would love to see them find a new hobby together! I know they already have much in common on social and intellectual levels, but I loved seeing Amy and Howard fangirling over Neil Diamond, and it'd be awesome if there was something like that between Amy and Sheldon! 

(Oh god, do I sound like I hate Amy? I don't! I love Amy to pieces!!!!) 

Edited by FortCozyMcBlanket
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gbb said:

I absolutely understand the desire not to have Amy evolve into a woman who needs a man to feel complete, and I would personally hate to see that happen. But I just don't see that happening here. Before Amy met Sheldon, she was not looking for a romantic relationship, and she was, as far as we know, quite fulfilled in her professional life. She's always been shown as a success in her field, but over the last 5 years we've also seen him come to recognize that she wants to have a fulfilling romantic life as well. Her preference was to have that with Sheldon, but she chose to walk away from him when it seemed he was never going to give her what she needed.

Dr. Fowler has already proved, many times over, that she doesn't need a man, but through her relationship with Sheldon she discovered that a mutually-fulfilling romantic relationship is something she wants to have in her life. Once she learned that Sheldon had been asking women out, she believed the door she had closed was going to stay closed, so she picked herself up and set about the process of finding someone new. Amy could have thrown herself back into her work at this point, and I certainly wouldn't have minded some mention of her in the lab or some new study she's conducting, but I believe that choosing to start dating was a proactive move on her part. Wanting a life partner is a legitimate desire. She wasn't going to remain alone for the rest of her life waiting on Sheldon; she was going to do what she needed to find what she wanted.

Her years without a relationship and her decision to walk away from Sheldon when their relationship was arguably in a better place than it had been before already show us she's not afraid to be alone. The way she handled the aftermath of their breakup (putting herself out there, arranging dates on her own) show us she's also not afraid to go after what she wants.

I’m both a romantic and a feminist, so I’m very happy that (1) Amy was strong enough to end her relationship with Sheldon and try to find a new one with a man who would make her a priority AND that  (2) none of her dates got very serious before she and Sheldon found their way back to each other.

Oh, quite so! I don't have an issue with Amy walking out on a relationship, and my objection to Amy wanting a romantic partner is not on feminist grounds, so much as "Awwww, I really thought that these were two 'strange, angular jigsaw puzzle pieces' (I am quoting myself which is surely some sign of megalomania) who were perfectly happy alone but realised when they met each other that they made an awesome and very specific picture together." In other words, I am mourning the loss of something I valued about the relationship, rather than objecting on political grounds. It is not unfeminist to want a relationship, and certainly not so to end a relationship that you find unsatisfying.

But I guess my objection is really related to the gendered way that I think Amy's story was told. By which I mean: Sheldon got a diversity of plots. Yes, his plots in S9 were romance-heavy, but he's had a series' worth of other types of plots to fall back on. Amy used to get a diversity of plots too, but increasingly, frustratingly frequently her plots (especially in S9) revolved around her relationship/Sheldon provoking her/her dating life. I am not saying that Amy isn't allowed any romantic plots. I am just saying: mix it up some more, please. Amy could have made terrible choices that had nothing to do with romance. She could have decided to take up an extreme sport! She could have dyed her hair a violent shade of pink because she had gotten really, really into the Harry Potter novels! She could have decided to get insanely into the work of Labiche and Gilbert&Sullivan! She could have secretly started watching The Flash! These are things that people- yes, even ladypeople- do, writers! Of course Amy's allowed to want romance! I'd...like her to be shown to want other things also. More often. Ah, the joys of loving a secondary character.

30 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

And can we also remember that Amy didn't go on a date every week during the 6 month break up.  It was 6 dates with only 3 different men (one of them being Dave).  That averages out to one date a MONTH!  Maybe she really did through herself into her work and we didn't hear or see it.

There's the rub, though- "we didn't hear or see it." We can speculate all we like- for example, I am speculating that Amy's work trip being after she and Sheldon get back together is because Amy, like Sheldon, found it hard to concentrate on work while they were apart. We can speculate, but it would be nice to be shown these things once in a while.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Gbb said:

Thank you. Amen. 

16 hours ago, 2L344 said:

this episode could have easily been written with sheldon having his epiphany and running to Amy's apartment and interrupting a sad harp playing session

Amy couldn't be playing the harp, because Mayim can no longer play it.

5 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I just thought that was part of her vintage charm.  LOL!   It just moves me the way Sheldon adores her the way she is.   Penny making the comment about Amy being an old woman cracked me up, and it didn't even phase Sheldon one bit.

I really cannot wait until Sheldon officially makes her his old woman.  He surely has loved her a long time, probably from "hello, but just didn't know it.

Speaking of hello, only Sheldon can manage to make that single word so sentimental, just like the unique way Amy's name just flows from his lips.  I just cannot wait until Thursday to see his enthusiasm over making her happy.   

How do you make the simplest things so damn romantic?!? 

MY HEART IS MELTING! :wub:

• Like 6

I have a question about the scene in bed, even if we will see soon. When they are together in bed and he says hello, and she says hi, do you think maybe he touches her with his feet or leg on her leg ? I thought of it in seeing one gif on repeat, the blanket moves. And it could be possible the gesture with the hello and her answer when she feels his leg. A simple shy touch, before the kiss, the hand on the cheek and the rest...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jlove said:

Ok, I'm going to weigh in on the Dave question.  No, I don't love that Amy called him again, but I COMPLETELY understand it.  Yes, she could have just decided, as suggested by some to:

a - bury herself in her work

b - decide she doesn't need to be dating someone to be happy

c - spend some time working on herself

BUT, I really think one of the things weighing heaviest on Amy's mind before the break was her age and the uncertain state of her relationship with Sheldon.  She made a comment on their anniversary about commitment, in addition to being frustrated about only being able to get "a disracted makeout session on the couch."  And his comment about her eggs having an expiration date set her off in SUCH a major way.  I seriously think her biological clock has been ticking for a while and she wanted them to be moving toward a marriage and family, now.  Whether or not you like the idea of "tick tick tick" bothering someone, or if a woman needs to be married with a family to be fulfilled (I agree, not everyone does need that), Amy has shown herself to be someone who wants that.  None of the 3 options above would help her with that.

She had spent 5 years with Sheldon.  5 years.  That's a looong time.  And then he "shot her down" when she wanted to get back together with him.  She was very hurt, obviously, and full of regret.  The future that she wants for herself isn't going to happen.  She can't have Sheldon.  But if she still wants the rest she can't sit around forever.  And yes, she is feeling rejected.  She wants to be wanted, not spurned.  And she is angry at herself for ending she and Sheldon up at this place to begin with.  She reacts.  She is starting all over again, 5 years older.  Where does she start?  Well, she knows one man who liked to enough to want to see her again, it's easy to call him.  Well, not easy, as we see her pacing in her apartment and wrestling with whether or not to call him before she finally does.  And I'm guessing that it the culmination of a LOT of internal wrestling on whether or not to call him.

It is obvious that she's not planning to sleep with him immediately when she calls him, as she is surprised by Bernadette's warnings.  But yes, we all heard what she said.  "Maybe intimacy is what I need."  Maybe, she thinks, she needs to know that someone wants her.  Maybe, she thinks, it will make her forget Sheldon.  Remember though, that I don't think intimacy has always and only been sexual intercourse for Amy.  We see how uncomfortable the couch situation is.  When he leans in to kiss her she instinctively not only pulls back, she puts up her hands between them in a "stop" motion.  This is getting real.  She decides again she is "being silly" and tries to go in for a kiss.  Yes, she would have kissed him.  But I'd bet dollars to donuts that once she found out making out with him wasn't making the pain go away, was maybe even making it worse as I think she undoubtedly would be thinking of how it felt to kiss Sheldon, I think her instincts would have gotten the better of her and she would have pulled back again.  BUT as repeatedly discussed none of us know that Amy really would or wouldn't have done so we can only guess.

Ultimately, was her going out with Dave again a mistake?  I would say undoubtedly.  Because she should have been sitting at home pining for Sheldon waiting for him to show up?  No.  Because she had no right to date or even sleep with someone else?  No.  Because she shouldn't want a man in her life to want her?  No.  It is because she had already decided Dave wasn't the guy for her and so going and trying it again with him is really a disservice to herself.

But the most important thing to me that Amy said all season prior to 9.09 was "Anyone can make a mistake in a weak moment."  

All I want to say (again) is OMG she was not gonna sleep with Dave that night.

It was so obvious from the way she said that line "Maybe intimate is what I need". She didn's mean it at all.

But this got me to think that maybe the writers really should focus a little bit more on Amy in this relationship. Because people seem to not know her at all lol.

Amy always used her watch on her right hand, since 3 x 23.

Before Mayim´s accident (august 2012), she currently used her right hand.

According with 9 x 11 promo, Amy run quickly for wax when the girls tell her Sheldon wants intimacy with her.

Her date with Dave was only four or five days before,  so  what do you think?

IMO she didn´t think about sex when she invited Dave for dinner!

(I love Mayim´s nomination for Critic´s Choice Awards)

Edited by Susana Alcira
  • Like 5