The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

Actually most of the original cast's characterizations are based on real people that Bill Prady worked with when he was a computer programmer in his pre-Hollywood life.  Bill told stories to Chuck about them, they decided to collaborate and TBBT was born.

But we are agreed they are not real, yes?

4 minutes ago, ATOB said:

Absolutely! 

Again, it's what I want to see too. It actually p!sses me off that it's not there, as I said, we all have our own lens.

Oh, and on the Chuck Lorre 'imagined' spin that's going on.  The whole Big Bang Universe is from this man's imagination. He imagined Sheldon as Asexual as he imagined Howard as a Mommy's Boy, Raj as having selective mutism, Leonard a cold upbringing. The characters evolve, but you can't change the core characterization, that's canon. The asexual jokes are very much alive and kicking, even as the cherry pops, there they are in the tag!

I guess the core characterization is imagined by Chuck too. He created the characters after all.

And I really don't think that's what you want to see since you believe Sheldon's asexual so strongly that you come here trying to convince everyone he's asexual before his sex life even begins in the show. Even if they really do show his sexual desires from now on, I assume you might consider they force the character to change. But hey I'm not you, maybe I misunderstood. So whatever.

• Like 2

Just now, ATOB said:

But we are agreed they are not real, yes?

Yes, but based on real people who have actually lived successful and happy lives, regardless of their quirks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CentralPerk said:

I have a question about the scene in bed, even if we will see soon. When they are together in bed and he says hello, and she says hi, do you think maybe he touches her with his feet or leg on her leg ? I thought of it in seeing one gif on repeat, the blanket moves. And it could be possible the gesture with the hello and her answer when she feels his leg. A simple shy touch, before the kiss, the hand on the cheek and the rest...

On 12/13/2015 at 3:15 PM, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

Tripper said it was ok to post these :)

image.gif.2d549ab5969c28719c1bc4a210b4d0image.gif.9fd808fe2fc9107eddfaa95d9e7b07image.gif.2082e80529e2931fba6da28852e7da

(from tumblr) 

I think the scene when Amy touches Sheldon's cheek comes later when she admits she's nervous and he tells her "they'll find out together" or something like that.   So, I believe his knee touches her after a different conversation that comes after the "hi/hello" when he leans in for the kiss. KAZZIE can you clarify when that scene takes place? 

9 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

This is the part that I can not get my head around at all, if Sheldon is Asexual (as I once presumed him to be) and he had sex solely for the other person then I find that just horrible. Having sex when you do not want to do it/are pressured into it ... I was always taught that there was a word for that.

I would be horrified to think that the person I was sleeping with was only doing it to get me off, I find the whole idea completely repugnant and if the genders were swapped in this situation I have a feeling that this wouldn't even be a conversation that people were having.

Out of interest are you still on the Asexual bandwagon now that Chuck has said that he is not?

I get what you are saying, but there are many asexual/non-asexual couples in very romantic and loving relationships.    They can have very healthy sex lives, but it involves a great deal of communication between the individuals involved in the relationship.   An asexual may not have the desire to engage in sex, but can be persuaded.   They can enjoy the act of sex and become excellent lovers to their partners.  

An asexual male may not jump at seeing his beautiful wife bent over naked at the sink washing dishes, but if she asks him to go to bed, he will likely say yes or suggest another time.   Their arousal comes not from sexual attraction but thought of preparation for sex, physical stimuli, etc.   It has nothing to do with whether or not the non-asexual partner is attractive or desirable, it's about the orientation of the Asexual partner.   The non-asexual partner learns not to take it personally.

Seeing how far Sheldon has come, I am leaning more and more against asexuality and AmyHeterosSexuality as has been suggested before.   I think and sincerely hope the push/pull sexual side of Shamy is over and done with now they both know what to expect.

I would find it quite amusing to have Sheldon "awakening" alone in his bed and having to get on a bus in the middle of the night, in his pajamas, to seek his other half for relief from his tension, because you know, the right hand just won't do.    :icon_twisted:       I can't believe I went there, but I did.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I'm sorry you've lost me there, doing what himself?

This is the part that I can not get my head around at all, if Sheldon is Asexual (as I once presumed him to be) and he had sex solely for the other person then I find that just horrible. Having sex when you do not want to do it/are pressured into it ... I was always taught that there was a word for that.

I would be horrified to think that the person I was sleeping with was only doing it to get me off, I find the whole idea completely repugnant and if the genders were swapped in this situation I have a feeling that this wouldn't even be a conversation that people were having.

Out of interest are you still on the Asexual bandwagon now that Chuck has said that he is not?

But why is it horrible?

Yeah, I got that knee-jerk reaction (and that's why I'm still keen for him to display the desire to have sex for his own pleasure, I admit it). However, the desire to have sex to give pleasure to the one you love is not horrible. It's present (you hope) in all encounters. If it was absent then you'd have a person purely out for their own gain without a care for the other person (such as rape, which I sense you allude to). But it's not absent. It's there. It's there in Sheldon and it's there in Amy. That Amy experiences the desire to have sex for her own pleasure does not diminish that she also seeks to give pleasure in return.

Chuck said he imagined him as 'asexual'.  Where does he say he's not? Asexuals can and do engage in sexual activity with people they love. Chuck doesn't say he's not asexual. Can you post the exact quote?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATOB said:

<snip>

"Choice" again?

Someone can choose not to have sex without being asexual.   Look at how many single people do it because they want to wait until they are married, are looking for the right person, or for religious reasons.

Sheldon wasn't looking for anyone, focusing all his attention on intellectual pursuits.  When Amy Farrah Fowler showed up, I'm willing to bet now that he had stirrings which he fought, not because of lack of desire but because he just didn't want to admit to it having it.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Yes, but based on real people who have actually lived successful and happy lives, regardless of their quirks.

So, they are 'imagined' people, based on fact?

2 minutes ago, ATOB said:

So, they are 'imagined' people, based on fact?

Yes.

Edited by vonmar

12 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I get what you are saying, but there are many asexual/non-asexual couples in very romantic and loving relationships.    They can have very healthy sex lives, but it involves a great deal of communication between the individuals involved in the relationship.   An asexual may not have the desire to engage in sex, but can be persuaded.   They can enjoy the act of sex and become excellent lovers to their partners.  

An asexual male may not jump at seeing his beautiful wife bent over naked at the sink washing dishes, but if she asks him to go to bed, he will likely say yes or suggest another time.   Their arousal comes not from sexual attraction but thought of preparation for sex, physical stimuli, etc.   It has nothing to do with whether or not the non-asexual partner is attractive or desirable, it's about the orientation of the Asexual partner.   The non-asexual partner learns not to take it personally.

Seeing how far Sheldon has come, I am leaning more and more against asexuality and AmyHeterosSexuality as has been suggested before.   I think and sincerely hope the push/pull sexual side of Shamy is over and done with now they both know what to expect.

That's just it, If I am not in the mood no amount of persuasion on anyones part is going to convince me to have sex! If I do not desire it then it will not be happening.

I can totally see people who are Ace managing to have successful, fulfilling and intimate relationships. In heterosexual relationships sex isn't always going to be a constant, when a woman is pregnant/breast feeding she most likely will not feel 'up' for it for a long time or when a Man is stressed/depressed just as an example.

Sex is not a vital part of a relationship/marriage. If the persons sexual orientation is 'no sexual desire for anyone else' then I can't see how they can do it anymore than a homosexual woman being persuaded to have sex with a man :icon_neutral:

I would find it quite amusing to have Sheldon "awakening" alone in his bed and having to get on a bus in the middle of the night to seek his other half for relief from his tension, because you know, the right hand just won't do.    :icon_twisted:       I can't believe I went there, but I did.

You can so believe that you went there :wink: and I second the motion to see this happening :rofl: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Someone can choose not to have sex without being asexual.   Look at how many single people do it because they want to wait until they are married, are looking for the right person, or for religious reasons.

Sheldon wasn't looking for anyone, focusing all his attention on intellectual pursuits.  When Amy Farrah Fowler showed up, I'm willing to bet now that he had stirrings which he fought, not because of lack of desire but because he just didn't want to admit to it having it.

True.

But they don't choose their sexual orientation. They choose to abstain from sleeping with whomever they intrinsically find sexually attractive. Abstainance is a choice, orientation(direction) is not.

Sheldon is not sexually attracted to other people. He didn't choose that. Though he did decide it meant he was more evolved than others and so embraced it.

Sheldon fell in love, that was the catalyst, his orientation won't change, though he may yet be demisexual (which is also asexual) if these stirrings for Amy you mention exist.

Anyho, it's gone 1am, and I've gone pruney (in bath).

Ciao for now....

• Like 1

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I have to jump in here. I have been lurking in this forum for years, but now that things are going into sexual territory, I feel I have to weigh in on behalf of my people.

I am asexual. I also am in a very loving relationship with a sexual person. We have a strong loving relationship and have had one for ten years. To say that a relationship needs sexual desire makes me a bit sad. To say that it's wrong that one person in a relationship is asexual invalidates asexuals who sometimes feel like failures when their lack of desire is seen as something that is wrong.

Is Sheldon asexual? I don't know. I don't tend to speculate on those things. If he isn't, then great! He's found fun with sex. If he is, then it shouldn't be a problem because he has found that he can enjoy a sexual relationship with Amy as another way to be intimate with her. 

When asexuals are in relationships with sexual people, they can enjoy and engage in sex with their partners as a way to be close to them. It's not "I'm doing it for my partner in order to make them happy."  It's "I'm doing something with my partner that we can both enjoy even though I personally don't need to."  

I'm not trying to start any sort of problem or argument, I just felt that I couldn't be quiet on the issue of asexuality. There is so much misinformation and invalidation going on already. 

Also, I think you guys are fun and you make me smile, so okay thanks bye.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATOB said:

But why is it horrible?

Doing something you don't want to do for your partner, like going to see a "dopey space movie" for example, is one thing but engaging in the most intimate thing two people can do together when only one of them desires it? I find that horrible on both sides of the equation.

Chuck said he imagined him as 'asexual'.  Where does he say he's not? Asexuals can and do engage in sexual activity with people they love. Chuck doesn't say he's not asexual. Can you post the exact quote?

"I would never have dreamed of [that] when we started the show. I actually imaged the character was asexual when we started." ~ Chuck Lorre 

Past tense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

I agree 100%.

In Sheldon we have seen moments where he is attracted to Amy. As my brain is mush from work, I'm thinking of the most obvious one where she shows up dress as a catholic school girl and prom. He gulps when he sees her. If he didn't find her attractive, I don't think we would have seen that type of reaction instead he would have treated her like she was wearing nothing out of the norm. How many times has he seen Penny looking amazing and not had any reaction? Meanwhile, Amy's prom dress that covered her completely and wasn't even a hint scandalous caused him to have a reaction.

Characters evolve over time as the writers decide to test the limits of who we think they are. Adding a love interest to Sheldon was starting a new branch on Sheldon's character arc. From there, who knows what can develop.

Edited by tayryn
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, koops said:

I'm sorry for the slew of quoting I'm about to do (and man, how I hate this quote function), but... here we go 

The thing is... I don't really see Amy as someone who knows how to navigate social interactions all that much better than Sheldon. I think that because Sheldon is the one the audience generally looks at as the one we are meant to perceive as socially stunted, we forget that most of these people, with the exception of Penny and Bernadette, are as well..... 

. It's the unfortunate way Amy is more often than not a tool to tell a story about Sheldon, rather than a story about them as two individuals in a relationship, which is likely the reason why her side of the equation wasn't really explored much until the very end of the breakup. It's the curse, in my case, of loving a secondary character the most and being always left with scraps in terms of their character development, because the writers don't see that as a priority. But, I'm hoping that since we still have 1.5 seasons to go and they've got past most, if not all, of the character development they wanted to get through with Sheldon, we might see some more of Amy as her own entity rather than just a romantic interest. 

See, this I will never understand. Why are these things that grown men (or women for that matter) shouldn't be fascinated by? I never understood why being obsessed with scifi is somehow considered more childish than, say, war or political movies, when the themes are essentially very similar. 

Sorry for editing your quote but i thought it would be easier on the scrolling lol! you make some valid points regarding Amy's inexperience. i guess because she carries herself more confidentally now (to me) that i give her a little too much credit for her decision making. she often times comes off as the "grown up" when she either corrects Sheldon's behavior or points out his indescetions. i know she is inexperienced in matters of the heart, but i kinda figured she's smart enough to know how it works despite her resume' being a little light in that category.

the bold part, i totally agree with that. i have often complained about the writing keeping us fans in the dark about where Amy is at with things and that we only get a sliver of info from her POV to fill in those gaps. it can be frustrating for sure and that lack of insight often leads is all on this forum to have to speculate as to why things happen the way they do ( which leads to some pretty vocal differences among us too lol!)...

as for why im good with the gals poling fun at the guys' fascination with their hobby/pursuits? well like you pointed out, right or wrong it IS culturally acceptable to make light of it and label it a kids thing. and your points about sports fans are pretty much the same is super accurate (their fan base can get pretty ellaborate with props, uniforms, etc at games). people just associate sports with "masculine and cool" while sci fi and comics are "kids and nerd like". and the guys dont help themselves by stocking up on action figures (or in Amys words, "toys"), uniforms (or in penny's words, "costume"), swords, collectibles etc etc....i have my share of all of that but most of it is packed away now to keep the jokes in my family to a minimum( my desk still has a bunch of reminders of my geekdom displayed)....

not saying it is right, just that im okay with it since ive accepted it as a cultural norm and im not bothered much by it. i wear my nerd badge proudly ( well, sort of)...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

There is: rape. Clearly not the case here.
What are you guys arguing about Sheldon's sexuality again? It's a happy moment, he wanted to do it, he enjoyed, if we're lucky, it will happen more times through the season (on or off screen), and that's it, move on to a new subject!

100% agree!! SHAMY (both of them) are happy and in love now!

• Like 3

Hypable have named Shamy (one) of their top 'Ships of the week' :) 

tumblr_nzbbl91de51r4j6u0o1_540.jpg.af9c0

Shamy and Olicity are our top ships this week

Ship Status: Did something else set sail this week, because we barely noticed. This ship is our everything. 

more at: http://www.hypable.com/ship-shamy-olicity-captainswan/

Same Hypable, same! :rofl: 

Edited by Einstein Von Brainstorm
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, notchinc said:

So, has Sheldon worn a flash tshirt this season.......................??

Because I'm a total google geek, I needed to find out... :search:yes, he did in episode 3

normal_TBBT_S9_E3_0041.jpg

Edited by tayryn
  • Like 3