The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

18 hours ago, tayryn said:

I agree 100%.

In Sheldon we have seen moments where he is attracted to Amy. As my brain is mush from work, I'm thinking of the most obvious one where she shows up dress as a catholic school girl and prom. He gulps when he sees her. If he didn't find her attractive, I don't think we would have seen that type of reaction instead he would have treated her like she was wearing nothing out of the norm. How many times has he seen Penny looking amazing and not had any reaction? Meanwhile, Amy's prom dress that covered her completely and wasn't even a hint scandalous caused him to have a reaction.

Characters evolve over time as the writers decide to test the limits of who we think they are. Adding a love interest to Sheldon was starting a new branch on Sheldon's character arc. From there, who knows what can develop.

And we're back to lust again.  Lust; increased heart-rate, dilated pupils, raised eyebrows, all that adrenaline pumping round the veins is rather similar to the reaction of fear is it not?  

So, were those gulps lust or fear.  The result of desire or panic from the pressure put upon him to 'perform'.  I can't say I've heard of many people having a panic attack because they were turned on, but from fear, yes, certainly, big, big gulp.  

Now, I have no idea how to post those 'gulps' but why not revisit them yourself. Look at his mouth, is there a slight playful curve, a tilt to expose the neck or an unconscious leaning forward, or is the mouth straight, even turned down a little, are the eyes startled, suprised (or do you see his soulful cow stare), does he straighten up to his full height (not lean in)?

You decide.

20 minutes ago, ATOB said:

Do you find how other sexual orientations engage in sex horrible too?  Or is it just asexuals?  

if 'horrible' is not something you would say about gay sex (for example), why do you feel it's okay to say it about asexual sex? Is Asexuality somehow less equal than those other intrinsic sexual orientations?

"I would never have dreamed of [that] when we started the show. I actually imaged the character was asexual when we started." ~ Chuck Lorre 

Chuck is confirming Sheldon was written as asexual.  Like we needed telling that.  Of course he was.  He was written as asexual in every possible way, in every joke they could squeeze out of it, and the jokes are still going, even during the actual episode that the love-making occurs, there they are, in abundance.

I ask you, do people change their sexual orientation?  Do they get to choose which sex they are attracted to, if any?  Did you?

Chuck imagined that he might be,  but he and the other writers have also said many, many times that they were not going to place that label on him.   What Chucks statement says to me is, that while "he" imagined that's what Sheldon was,  through the writing and natural evolution that took place through that writing,  it turns out that he wasn't asexual.  Also, I don't think this confirms at all that they set out to write as an asexual.  It means that they way his character was in the beginning carried traits of someone who very well could be asexual. 

Also, there is nothing in the taping reports provided for this episode that suggests any hints that Sheldon is asexual.  

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, jenafan said:

ATOB, I understand how important this issue is to you.    The fact is that we all see what we want to see, and no amount of repeating oneself, arguing, or presentation of evidence, and debating the same thing over and over is going to change another's viewpoint, just as ours has not changed yours.

My viewpoints have not necessarily changed because of another's argument on the matter but because of the direction the writers have taken Sheldon's character from the beginning.   When I compare what he was to what he is now and how the break up with Amy effected him, it is difficult to convincingly maintain the same stance I had before.

Yes, occasionally I find myself sitting on the fence regarding this issue between demi-sexuality and choice.   The choice is not due to orientation but because his phobias, focus on other things, and finding a woman to share intimacy with was less interesting to him than his other pursuits.

While I believe Sheldon's actions toward Amy now are more about emotion than primary desire, I do believe it is there.   Sheldon moved in when Amy pulled him back because he wanted to, not to appease her.   She was already elated and didn't need the 2nd kiss.   They could have just embraced.   No, he pursed his lips and moved in and then chose to hold it for several minutes, actively moving his hands up and down her back and caressing her.     He's not touching her like this for the sake of it.  He's doing it because he wants to and enjoys it.  

Sheldon wants sex.   He's been actively working on his issues with intimacy and struggling with confidence that he won't mess it up for either of them, waiting for the right time.  Fear of the unknown and inexperience, causing one to hesitate on an action, should not be confused with the lack of want or desire to do so.

And I hope you're right.  And I'm looking for it myself.  Not seeing it......yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Dear CBS,

Where are my episode previews please?!?

I needs them!

The new E4 (the peeps in the UK who show TBBT) S9 trailer :)

I love the E4 trailers and they have special themed Big Bang days where they show the 'best of' episodes, they're right up there with the peeps who make the CBS trailers on my list of cool people :) 

I don't like to boast, but last year the WB Channel aired all the episodes of the show during December 31 and January 1st. It was a mega-new year's eve-marathon, and I guess they'll do it again this year. Poor brits, have to wait too much for watch the episode.  :(

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

Bialik: "There's a before and there's an after. There's no during."

(more in the link)

Too bad there is no during. :mellow:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Tweet from Leanne Aguilera (Entertainment Tonight)....

Giggling & smiling uncontrollably right now as I watch this Thursday's episode of @BigBang_CBS. My co-workers think I've gone crazy.

Thank you for sharing this and the other artical with us tonight :) .

Im very grateful .

1 hour ago, YlvaBorealis89 said:

Agreed. Also I think it's worth mentioning that Leonard did NOT say "he has no deal" - he said "we've been working under the assumption that he has no deal". I'm not arguing either way but saying that Leonard said He has no deal indicates a statement - that this is the truth, whereas to say that you're assuming something just means that this is your own interpretation of the situation, but not necessarily the truth. There is a difference there that cannot be ignored.

The one thing we know for sure is that the only person who knows what Sheldon's sexual orientation is, is Sheldon. What anyone else says or assumes is of absolutely no importance. In no Universe. Ever.

Leonard  based it on observation.  Had he observed that Sheldon was attracted to men, he would have stated he believed Sheldon was gay, and if he had observed an attraction to women, heterosexual, and so on etc.

Leonard observed that during the time he had known him, Sheldon had never shown attraction to anybody, of either sex; no-one. "We've been working under the assumption that he has no deal"

Sheldon's repulsion and mocking rejection of sex, missing of both visual stimuli and sex references is just another facet of the modus operandi for writing Sheldon, which is, in a nutshell, 'Sheldon don't get it'.

Why is Sheldon being asexual such a big problem anyway? 

Anyway, this is becoming tedious and I can't keep repeating the same 'facts' over and over.  We're not going to agree, and we don't have to, but until Sheldon shows signs of wanting to have sex because, as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore so eloquently put it, "he's got the horn" (and let's face it, there's no examples of this yet, (yet, another hopeful yet)), I'll stick with what's been shown consistently on the show rather than the head-canon that's touted on here.

3 minutes ago, notchinc said:

Did she delete her tweet?  It's no longer existing????

Weird, I wonder if she wasn't supposed to reveal that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATOB said:

as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore so eloquently put it, "he's got the horn".

Sheldon does get horny.

From Troll Manifestation:-

I’m about to show this guy just how horny I can be.

:biggrin:

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

Also, there is nothing in the taping reports provided for this episode that suggests any hints that Sheldon is asexual.  

No?  Give me an example of Sheldon wanting to have sex with Amy because he could no longer restrain his lust for her then.

15 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Weird, I wonder if she wasn't supposed to reveal that.

It's strange, I think it's normal that the press gets a preview of the episodes (at least the more important ones). Over the week end there was another journalist, I think Jessica Randoff,  which said she saw the episode and it  was really good...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I thought Chuck was saying they wanted to write Sheldon as asexual in the beginning, but then they changed their minds.

That's why they added Amy! Why would they give Sheldon a girlfriend if they want him to be asexual? After Amy joined the show, they made it perfectly clear Sheldon is not asexual. Like in season 6, when Penny asked why Sheldon didn't have sex with Amy, he didn't answer "Because I don't have desires" or "Because I don't find Amy attractive.", he said it was because of his phobia of touching other humans.

And the train kiss, it was so obvious that he had desires TOWARDS Amy. Sure he compared the kiss with hearing the conductor playing banjo. So what? That only means the two things were both enjoyable to him. So you have to list sex as the most enjoyable thing in the world otherwise you're asexual? Well in that case, I think I'm asexual too lol.

Their 8.24 make out session and 9.10 kiss, Sheldon's confession of him having desires in the prom episode... All these signs have been given to us. So yes, the writers did give hints maybe Sheldon was asexual in the first seasons. But they also gave hints in later seasons about him not being asexual.

And now, after 8 and a half seasons, although you're free to believe whatever Sheldon's sexual orientation is, but if you try to tell us "the writers still want Sheldon to be asexual",  I'm sorry, that's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

No, it was obvious his body physically responded to Amy's on the train.  I misread it too, but then that's wishful thinking for you eh?

So, if Sheldon is actually just like any other heterosexual, why have they given him a girlfriend who is not conventionally attractive?  

And before you all start jumping up and down and shouting foul (and yes, SH, I know you think Mayim and AFF are 'hot'), I should remind you that the whole point of Amy is that she's not 'the hot girl'.

Actually, I'm rather disappointed that they've started dressing her in court shoes and fitted outfits, it takes something away from the character, and to do it just before the long awaited sex occurs does not give out a very positive message about sexual equality.  Amy makes herself pretty, Amy gets sex, fetch me a bucket, that's never been what these two are about.

If the writers don't want us to believe Sheldon is asexual, why are they still milking the asexual jokes for all they're worth? Tell me that.

2 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with anything?   Do you want me to price that nothing says during this episode points to him being asexual or do you want me to provide evidence that he is a nympho?   I have never had sex because I could no longer restrain myself.   I've had sex because I wanted to.   People express themselves in many different ways and their wants and needs are specific to them.  You can't throw out these arbitrary expectations simply based what you think people should act like when they are turned on or how you express your own personal desire.   Him not ripping off his clothes and throwing Amy against the wall says nothing about his sexuality, at all. 

Okay then, let's be clinical.  Give me an example of Sheldon displaying primary desire (the desire to have sex for his own pleasure alone).