The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

What I'm really concerned about is the fact that the writers are dragging things out when they only have 2 seasons left. They have said multiple times that they have no endgame for the show, and while that is slightly comforting (it gives room for the stories to adapt or change), it also worries me as well. 

What I mean is that they could be thinking they are definitely going to be renewed again so they're dragging out the storylines, but what if it does end in 2 seasons? They are going to rush all over their storylines and miss out on some really good opportunities for growth, all because they insist on moving characters backwards to buy time. 

2 seasons is not enough time to hash out all of these stories, it simply isn't.

This show has 24 episodes each season - that is a lot of time. It all depends on how they use it!

• Like 4

I wonder if during this hard time Shamy is going through, we will meet Arthur Jeffries again, speaking to Sheldon as an inner voice. This would be a nice way to show Sheldon´s inner feelings and his problems with Amy he has to struggle with.

• Like 5

The first take could have blown thethe studio lights out.  

really???? Well i'm officially surprised, shocked and a little uncomfortable.

Edited by Andy_90's_generation
  • Like 3

This show has 24 episodes each season - that is a lot of time. It all depends on how they use it!

Yes, that´s right. And we still have three couples, whose stories are not finished yet. Even if it looks like that the writer don´t have much new too add to Howardette and Rajily looks like its coming to an end. I mean, if Raj´s insecure about continuing his relationship with Emily than it´s a bad sign, imo.

What I'm really concerned about is the fact that the writers are dragging things out when they only have 2 seasons left. They have said multiple times that they have no endgame for the show, and while that is slightly comforting (it gives room for the stories to adapt or change), it also worries me as well. 

What I mean is that they could be thinking they are definitely going to be renewed again so they're dragging out the storylines, but what if it does end in 2 seasons? They are going to rush all over their storylines and miss out on some really good opportunities for growth, all because they insist on moving characters backwards to buy time. 

2 seasons is not enough time to hash out all of these stories, it simply isn't.

I think that the break up, the "incident that should not be mentioned again" (as we have all agreed to call it) and whatever other surprise we will get in the first episodes (no more surprises about  Shamy, I hope) have something to do with possible negotiations for more seasons: they need big ratings for Season 9, so they decided to add something shocking. I think they have time to fix Shamy's mess and to wrap the main stories up in 2 seasons, but my feeling is that, unless the ratings drop dramatically or the actors decide to move on to other projects, we will have at least Season 11.

• Like 2

THAT BOLD PART! So much that! That's such a great way of putting it, and, really, that's what I mean when I said last week (and to a lesser extent this week) that I need an indication about how long this is dragged on for and HOW it's dragged on for before I decided to invest any more time in this. And that's exactly the crux of the matter to me: the moment they show me Amy having moved on, or at least trying or planning to, to me will spell doom on my interest. Because then I know for sure they're going to handle it like any other breakup and it just becomes OOC. She's not ignoring him, she's not cutting him out of her life, she's even willing to see him and read his emails. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can see her trying to get away to think so she doesn't have to have him up in her face all the time, but it would be interesting if we got to see her realize that the reason why she keeps opening the door and listening to his BS and reading his emails is because, deep down, she wants him back just as much as he wants her back. 

I see your point. I, myself Am probably the worst fan for any show. Absolute flight risk. The moment any show alienate their characters, no matter how much I like it, I'm loosing my interest and deciding to not invest anymore time. I'm not one of those "in good or bad" folks who waits another few years to see if their favorites will ever come back to themselves, gloomily cursing about the show ever since, unable to let go. It feels like a flip coin form me right now. Good or bad. And I'm just sitting here, eagerly waiting to see which side will shows up. Options our open, and I too am looking for any indication of what to expect.I hope and belief it's some indication that it's heading somewhere good-  preferably where characters will still be those we know, where classical romance tropes will make space for unconventionality and  celebration of difference, and it all have some bigger story than "How we decided to throw some drama in." I still see the brighter side, because it still seems like writers are building on their basis. Naivety, inexperience, poor ability to express feelings and desires, but also irresistible force that was always pulling them back together, because to not have the other in their life, simply, never was an option. 

• Like 4

From my understanding, when the original 5 signed new contracts, it's stated that up to 10 seasons is definate with an 11th season a go as long as the ratings are good enough for it without new contracts for them.  After that, new contracts all around.  Did I understand that right, Tensor?

• Like 1

I think they signed an option for Season 11, with the same contracts and the same salaries. Having a season 11 or not will depend if the network (and the actors??) want to use the option.  Is it correct? 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

From my understanding if the networks want a season 11 it will happen.  The actors are already signed on for it with their latest contracts.  Right now, it's just a question of whether the networks want it or not.

• Like 1

Just to mention the "incident that should not be mentioned again" again. After I heard about it, I tried to watch an episode of TBBT and just couldn't! The image of an overly lascivious Sheldon burned through my brain, sizzled along my spinal cord and back up straight to my heart.

But that's just me..(and I'm a certified mentally challenged person)

Also, on another note, I was thinking: the writers could have a great opportunity to pay us a homage/mock us with that FWF situation. Can you imagine if the commenters on FWF are heartbroken that Shamy broke up and keep inundating with comments about how what happened and whether they will ever get back together? An in-canon Shamy fandom.

Hope you don't mind me asking what FWF is. Yes, shame on me ;)

I also wouldn't mind a spin-off..

Edited by Juni
  • Like 2

From my understanding if the networks want a season 11 it will happen.  The actors are already signed on for it with their latest contracts.  Right now, it's just a question of whether the networks want it or not.

I see...I thought the option was "mutual"...

Anyway, I agree that from a fan POV it can be unbearable to see the favourite ship drag things out just for the sake of "ratings", but, even if up to the end of Season 8 TBBT has been rather faithful to its hardcore fandom, the show is a very lucrative business for whoever is involved in it, so I guess now they are more "interested" in the casual viewer opinion. Sad but true...

Just to mention the "incident that should not be mentioned again" again. After I heard about it, I tried to watch an episode of TBBT and just couldn't! The image of an overly lascivious Sheldon burned through my brain, sizzled along my spinal cord and back up straight to my heart.

Preacing to the choir, sister! Just yesterday I had planned to start the re-watch of Season 4, I could not do it!

• Like 2

Preacing to the choir, sister! Just yesterday I had planned to start the re-watch of Season 4, I could not do it!

Yes! I'm not alone in this.

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me asking what FWF is. Yes, shame on me ;)

Fun with Flags

• Like 1

Have you been at the taping Juni? If the answer is yes, than I can understand why you can´t get this image out of your head. But if you didn´t go than you can just replace it by another image of Shamy. Be strong! You have to repeat to yourself over and over again, that it never happened. Be like these three monkeys: Don´t talk about it, don´t look at it, don´t listen if other´s speak about it.

• Like 2

Fun with Flags

Thanks Chiany! Well, this is really embarrassing...

Have you been at the taping Juni? If the answer is yes, than I can understand why you can´t get this image out of your head. But if you didn´t go than you can just replace it by another image of Shamy. Be strong! You have to repeat to yourself over and over again, that it never happened. Be like these three monkeys: Don´t talk about it, don´t look at it, don´t listen if other´s speak about it.

No Desdemona, I haven't. I just have an overflowing imagination. Thanks for your support! I'll try that.

• Like 1

I see...I thought the option was "mutual"...

Anyway, I agree that from a fan POV it can be unbearable to see the favourite ship drag things out just for the sake of "ratings", but, even if up to the end of Season 8 TBBT has been rather faithful to its hardcore fandom, the show is a very lucrative business for whoever is involved in it, so I guess now they are more "interested" in the casual viewer opinion. Sad but true...

The problem is that TBBT is already reaching the stage where people instead of going "Oh, TBBT is on!" go "OMC, that show is STILL on?". I have had people IRL say that (people who don't know I'm a hardcore fan), and say stuff like "I can't believe they're dragging this to 10 seasons". If you take the general audience into consideration, sooner or later, they inevitably start getting bored. It's not even a matter of just quality, but also time/novelty factors: new things are exciting to people, then they get bored and move on to something else. And I think they're a lot less patient with stunts and jump the shark moments than hardcore fans who stick with it no matter what. To plan to stretch that show that far, this late in the game, is essentially signing the death warrant for TBBT as one of those shows that people will look back on to say "This was good until they started beating the dead horse". 

But if all they care about is making money, then yes. With the ratings being what they still are, they can probably easily carry on until S11 or 12 before they get low enough to warrant cancellation.

• Like 5

I'll just skip that Shenny kiss scene...my video editor software and I have a lot of video editing to do Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

HI all. Long term Shamy fan and lurker. Thought it was about time Shamy fans united after recently TR spoilers. 

Okay, as promised, I'm going to give my point of view about the taping for episode two.  Once again, I haven't read any of the comments here, but I do know that a lot of people freaked out about the kiss, so I'm going to start with that.

To be completely honest, we were pretty much all flipping our shit at that scene.  I was screaming "Nooooo!!!!"  It was quite horrific.  We were joking later about how a photo of our faces would have looked at that exact moment.  But here's the thing--yes, I still do want some brain bleach because just the thought of Shenny makes me want to throw up in my mouth.  BUT--I'm just so glad that it was a dream.  A nightmare, in fact, and it came from Leonard's imagination.  I was SO relieved when I realized it, and here's the thing: the writers TOTALLY did that scene for the shock value.  I know some people are upset at the thought that Shamy will never have a scene that sexy, but that's where I disagree.  Will it be that "raunchy" of a scene?  Probably not.  But there was no love in the Shenny dream kiss.  It's a bit rough knowing that this was the "hottest" scene on BBT so far, and it was Shenny, but I really do believe that part of this is their way of setting up the audience and preparing us for a more sexual Sheldon.  Clearly the REAL Sheldon still has no interest in Penny and is going after Amy rather vehemently.  He's making sexual innuendos in regards to her and trying to make her jealous with comments implying he's got all these women, etc.  Boy is waking up!  And I truly do believe that their reunion is going to be hot.  It's going to be passionate and tender and full of love, because that's what they deserve (and after five years of waiting, I think we all deserve it too!  Not to mention, the writers kind of owe us a little after being such brats with that shocker). :wink: We've been waiting so long, and I know it's hard to see/hear about a scene like this, but that whole episode was so full of implication that it's becoming apparent he wants Amy in a physical way.  Plus, the kiss was SO out of character for Sheldon that it just isn't believable.  It was so over the top it's laughable.  When he kisses Amy with that kind of passion it's going to be the REAL thing, and it's going to be SO Sheldon and that will make it even hotter.  Just think--if they can show us a scene like that, what's in store for us for Shamy later?  They've proven now that they're not afraid to go there.  After giving it a lot of thought, I'm still not fond of the imagery.  I still want brain bleach, but I can see the comedy in what they did and how they really wanted to throw us all for a loop for a few seconds, and the fact that it's not real is what makes it bearable.

Now onto the rest.  If you put the kiss scene aside, I think the rest of the episode--whether you can accept the dream kiss or not--is a good episode.  It was definitely lighter and funnier than the premiere, which was what I was hoping for.  It continues to give hope for Shamy, and there were a lot of sweet moments that show how much Sheldon still loves her and is trying (even when he gets snarky).  I love that Sheldon is clearly still fighting for Amy.  He's researching.  He's trying things he's seen in movies, and he's probably googling stuff about it, and if he's researching and googling, what ELSE is he looking up?  It's my belief that he's probably gathering intel on physical intimacy as well, because clearly it's on his mind a LOT.  Unfortunately, the poor boy is trying all the wrong things right now and he's only making Amy madder, but there's going to be a point soon where he wakes up and realizes that he needs to try a different approach.  My belief is that he's going to break down soon--most likely when Leonard moves out (which is probably coming really soon) and he's left alone.  It's really going to hit him then.  Right now he's still a bit cocky and is remembering the other times when Amy has gotten mad at him and he was able to convince her to forgive him and return to normal.  He keeps thinking that he'll find the thing to win her back, but it's not working that way this time, and I'm honestly glad she's standing her ground this time because I really think it's needed for them to move forward together in a healthy, happy way.  Amy needs to tell him what she needs and wants, and I think she's still trying to figure that out.  Even though she's mad at him, it's clear that she's hurting too.  She even tells him that it's hard for her as well.  I think if he would give her the space she needs to think it all through she would be able to come to him and articulate her needs.  And I think once Sheldon is hit with the realization that he can't just put a bandaid on things this time, he's going to grow as a person and start considering her needs more.  And with the sexual thoughts that seem to be occupying his mind more and more lately, I can really see their reunion being explosive.  (And remember: Molaro called the fact that Sheldon leaned in for more kissing in the finale "extremely telling").  Like I said before, they're setting all of this up so that BOTH of them can realize what they need/want and move forward together toward marriage, sex, and everything else.

This brings me back to the idea of the five stages of grief that I mentioned in my post for episode 1, and that others have mentioned as well.  Sheldon isn't really that angry anymore, but now he's bargaining.  He's trying everything in the book to make her jealous or get her to take him back.  As Amy said, she sees him more now that they're broken up than she even did when they were together.  He's clearly pining over her and I'm really glad he hasn't lost his determination.  He WILL figure things out and "win" her back.  Next comes that depression I mentioned where he breaks down and realizes that things aren't so easy to fix this time, and he's going to be missing her desperately.  Once he comes to the conclusion about the fact that he hasn't always been the most attentive to her needs, he will hit the acceptance stage.  No, he won't accept that she's not his, but I think he will realize and accept the fact that he needs to give her space.   This will be his most self sacrificing and humbling moment and it will show Amy that he truly cares about her feelings.  And then once she's had that time to consider things, they can talk and move toward their future with a mutual understanding.

I know it's hard not to react with knee-jerk emotions.  Try being at this taping for that opening scene.  :wink:  But as we always say, things play out a bit differently on screen than what we see at the taping or what is conveyed in online details.  I'm thinking they'll even probably cut the Shenny scene down a bit now that they got their initial audience reaction to it.  I really do still have faith though.  Putting the fake/un-Sheldony/nightmare kiss aside and just focusing on what REALLY happened and what was real in that episode, the Shamy is moving forward.  It may not feel like it right now, but everything that is happening is bringing them a step closer to getting back together and learning how to be a couple in the long-term.  And now that Lenny is fixed, there will be plenty of time to focus on this plotline and bring them back together in the best way possible.

I completely agree with this. I think sometimes people forget to see the bigger picture when it comes down to it. Obviously the aired episodes could tell something else but in general, people need to look at the bigger picture and see whats going on underneath. Not that I'm saying anyone else opinion doesn't matter, it totally does but just look at Sheldon's inner and outer through these first few episodes. At the moment, from spoilers, his is the only character (with the exception of Amy maybe) that's gotten the detailed fleshiness as is were. He's going through these stages, whether Sheldon knows it or not but i doubt he does, its telling us one thing while he's making it mean something else. Same with Amy to an extent but she knows what she's doing. It just seems bizarre to me that Sheldon gets most things Amy means in the way she communicates but he's blind to whats going on with her right now. But then that could be Amy's fault because of the way she's chosen to 'stick to her guns' as it were. Sheldon's not a mind reader (although I'm sure he'd like to be) but then he should have noticed the error of his ways in 8.24 and sorted it. He's noticed he's been wrong before when it comes to his and Amy's relationship AND he's apologised for it, what makes this time any different? 

If the pure point of the Shenny scene was to ignite the way for sexual Sheldon then fine but, like with the these innuendos, that's starting to happen already, that scene, if anything, cut out some of the middle man, like it was cutting short the journey to the finish line which will inevitably be Shamy getting back together. Going back to the fleshing out of characters if this scene was a device to flesh out Leonards woes then again, it was the wrong way to go about it.

I also feel like the writers have backed themselves into tight corner here. I personally feel like they should have started project 'Sheldon's growth' a lot earlier on than they did. I know they wanted to establish the kind of relationship between Sheldon and Amy that they have but it seems like nothing happened for first few years they were together then it all kinda came at once. Like with season 8 with the I love you and the make out it all seemed extremely rushed and now the writers just seem to be rushing it even more when it comes down to getting Sheldon ready for what men do. I know theres initially 46 episodes left that we know nothing about until a potential close of show but thats not much time to see this boy grow into the man Amy wants and deserves as well as moving on with the rest of the characters. I just hope all this rushing around doesn't lead to a situation that is hurried into to just make everyone happy cause that can never happen.

(I talk in riddles a lot as you can see, take from it what you will :P)

• Like 1

I think the next 2-3 episodes will be telling. The Leonard moving out will have to come out now (my gut is episode 4) which again forces Sheldon to be alone-alone. I know I keep going back to that but I do think thats when its going to smack him in the face a bit and he will give her space and do something selfless for her. All these antics are still signs (cute and really trying) of him bring selfish. And its said that Amy hasn't had a minute to miss him so once she gets that space and appreciates what she had (if they go the route of her dating which I think a guy may be interested but Amy won't entertain it too much) she'll come back. Like it been said the sheer amount of sexual on-purpose innuendos was insane. Sex is now on Sheldon's mind and its more clear the icky make-out (agreed its more for shock and general viewers are going to eat it up) will help viewers see Sheldon as a take control man in a sexual situation. We saw a glimps of that in the finale and now its put out there. But once reconciled Shamy's next physical encounter will have love and desire. I am still so proud of Sheldon for trying to fix this on his own (with the help of google I bet). He misses her so much. But he still doesn't get it. Neither of them do. And while some want a timeline, gotta keep telling ourselves in TV time from finale to episode 2 its only been 48 hours. If things by episode 5-8 don't start moving along reconciling then I will get nervous but their reunion will be an all-eyeballs aka sweeps episode. And again all the jabs he made did come from love. Between the eggs premiere line to the "You/we aren't getting any younger" that is a direct line of marriage intent. So Amy who is tired of telling Sheldon directly why she is upset and wants him to learn on his own sees these lines as stabs at her age, they also mean something else. He wants to grow old with you, those eggs are his and his future kids, he wants all of you! She is too heated to see this right now. And as yucky albeit hot as hell when you plug in Jim and Kaley and not the characters the make-out was it does help me have a clearer idea of what Shamys back together make-outs could be. Hands in hair, elsewhere, and more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^

THIS

I'm really trying here to stay very positive - this is my first year where I've dealt with a break over the summer and then decided to go down the spoilers route - I started watching the Big Bang last Christmas holiday, bought them all on box set and watched one after the other so ...... I'm new to this ( great year to start !!) .

Now I think the writers - have done loads to make it clear Sheldon and Amy really do want the same things , we all know it's a misunderstanding , but I we now need the writers to start  thinking of their fans some clues that things will start to move in the right direction would be amazing . I know they will keep this on going for I think another 2-3 episodes but I NEED pleeease some sort of hint it work out soon. I really don't want a whole lot more drama !!!!

So I will be happy to see progress in the right direction. ASAP :)

Now for my question .... How do you guys think they willget Sheldon to give Amy time to miss/ appreciate what/ who he is ??.

I think Sheldon is more than aware of what he has in Amy , what he does need to get across to Amy that he thinks she's his world ....but how ?? 

Then we can all relax and enjoy our fav programme again without having heart palpitations in the process !!!. 

• Like 4

From my understanding, when the original 5 signed new contracts, it's stated that up to 10 seasons is definate with an 11th season a go as long as the ratings are good enough for it without new contracts for them.  After that, new contracts all around.  Did I understand that right, Tensor?

Yep, Network (well technically WB) option for season 11.  

• Like 4

Math is not my strong point, but isn't that about 17 and a half hours. Doesn't sound like much to me when there's so many other characters that got to have their story told as well. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2