The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

So it's been a long time since the last time I was here because after the finale I just really needed some time away from the show (which also means time away from here), seriously, I haven't watched one single episode since May and I won't until the premiere. Now I'll slowly and carefully make my way back into the show.

Anyway, the finale gave me mixed feelings about whether or not the break was a good idea for a plot, at one point I was all for it and then I would think it was unnecessary. Now, months later... I still don't know. I guess years from now when the show is over I'll look back and I'll probably still not be sure. After all, arriving safe and sound at the final destination does not mean you have taken the right paths.

I remember thinking "I just hope they resolve this differently next season than they did with the train trip. I want to actually see them handling this situation and not have everything already talked about off-screen". That was my biggest fear: they dig a hole and once again, when the next season starts, they ignore the plot and have the characters jump out of the hole as if nothing happened. So I'm glad they didn't and are dealing with it, that's a relief.

However, as much as I love the idea of Amy standing up to herself (good for her!), I was not expecting they would dig this hole beyond the break. Work to fix it like they should, yes, but not make it worse. I kind of feel they are reaching dangerous areas by digging in too deep. After three episodes and an break up, Sheldon still doesn't listen! He doesn't get that she's is hurting, he doesn't get that Amy wants time alone, he still thinks he will get her back at any time and it frustrates me because as much as I could enjoy Sheldon going after Amy and trying to fix things (and I would!), the way he's doing it's starting to get on my nerves. Sure, he is giving hints of wanting and being ready for more, but he's using the wrong words and it worries me because even if you know deep down it's not meant to be taken seriously, it still hurts. Amy already reacted by breaking up with him the first time, so who knows how she will take this if he doesn't stop? Words are accessible and dangerous weapons to use when we are upset and they hurt (a lot!), so the writers need to be careful with what Sheldon says, they are playing too close to the lines, in my opinion.

I know it's IC, I know he's hurting and this is his way of dealing with his pain and he doesn't really mean to be rude, I get it, I liked Sheldon fighting for Amy in episode 1, but it bothers me that they did the same thing for two consecutive episodes. I hope they don't drag this out much longer. As much as I want them to deal with the plot and not ignore it, I don't want to see the same thing over and over again, it gets boring, episode 2 already had less impact to me because it seems too similar to the first one. I want them to explore other things now, after two (three if you count everything) episodes their emotional reactions are clear, the point has been made, I got it, so let's move on to actually getting things fixed, let them calm down by having some space and get them to talk already, ugh. Oh, also, the scarf thing sounds nice... I wish they could use things like that to show they're missing each other and things they did together without them interacting with each other and "fighting". I'll be waiting.

• Like 6

I am praying to the gods I don't believe in that the scene will be cut.

I recommend a tea. Go prepare it when the show starts, you'll miss the whole thing, and you'll have something calming to hold onto for Shamy drama next. :icon_wink:

Edited by tallin
  • Like 6

Thanks Chiany! Well, this is really embarrassing...

No Desdemona, I haven't. I just have an overflowing imagination. Thanks for your support! I'll try that.

You are welcome Juni! :shy:

• Like 1

OMG! I was just googling for the taping report on 9.02. I thought maybe someone put one somewhere...Unfortunately I found this tumblr thingy discussing the "thing that will not be mentioned again". Once I noticed it was a shenny site, I fled. But it's too late now. I feel kind of dirty and actually just wanna rip my eyes out..

200.gif

• Like 1

At least it's just a nightmare within fiction. It could be worse: 

103.gif

:icon_wink:

Lol....yikes.  

You know when I was a kid, I was routing for Luke & Leia to be together and then when I got older and realized they were actually siblings (twins no less), I was like, "Yuck!!  Ok, never mind.  Hans & Leia it is."

• Like 1

Lol....yikes.  

You know when I was a kid, I was routing for Luke & Leia to be together and then when I got older and realized they were actually siblings (twins no less), I was like, "Yuck!!  Ok, never mind.  Hans & Leia it is."

A while ago I read a news article containing spoilers from season 9. It explained that Penny's last name would finally be uncovered and it actually stated that that might lead to a new story arc about Penny finding out she's related to one of the guys. It would be Sheldon for obvious reasons.

I don't believe this at all, but it would still be funny if it happened...

Edited by Juni

Math is not my strong point, but isn't that about 17 and a half hours. Doesn't sound like much to me when there's so many other characters that got to have their story told as well. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I watch a lot of shows and believe me the number of minutes really doesn't matter. What matters is how you deal with the story lines. 48 episodes are more than enough to give everyone a nice arc for those 2 seasons. I mean, if you think that the writers of this show aren't up to the task then that's your prerogative. But giving them the benefit of the doubt I think they can wrap this up quite neatly - especially if they're planning ahead with S10 as the final season.

The only thing that has me worried is if they're unsure whether S10 will be the last or if the network wants more. Personally, I'd rather have a planned ending on a high note than a show that drags on and on and just kinda fizzles out until it's cancelled.

• Like 2

Shamyshipper and Mph95 make excellent points. I think this kiss that has us all upset is just an appeteaser to sexual Sheldon and that I can get behind. Oh and thank you for everyone who submitted nominations! Last day to do so get them in :) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thank you so much , again you've made me feel 100 times better :) 

You're not by any chance going again next week are you ? :) 

You're very welcome, and I'm glad it helped.  I know this is rough for all of us, but I have no doubt they're doing this to strengthen Shamy and make them better than ever.  No, I'm not going next week, sorry.

• Like 4

It didn't occur to me until now but I wonder if Amy is still reeling a bit from Sheldon's train trip last year. Hear me out. Last year he took off after a fight they had without talking to her. He didn't call her for help when he was robbed. He returned and all was status quo until he told her ILY and did more to show his feelings. However, I sense that Amy swept her feelings under the rug when he returned and made more of an effort. Things are good and then we get to the Mars application. Amy is hurt at Sheldon making making a life changing decision that may leave her behind again. Yes they made up, but what if it brought those unresolved feelings back to the surface? It was subtle but one could see her frustration at Sheldon making as effort with his mom, Leonard's mom, but not her. Alone, her getting at Sheldon's comment on their anniversary seems over the top. Take it with all that has happened, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. She doesn't want to be left behind but is not sure what she wants either. I think when the two really get to the heart of the matter will we see growth from both. When Sheldon gives her the time requested, that will go a long way. Maybe then Amy will get her courage up to tell Sheldon what she really needs, an equal partner, not a romantic Casanova who always puts himself first. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I guess it depends whether the writers will have Amy bring that up (or any of that up). It's possible, but I usually take the stance that if something is solved in an episode, especially one that aired that long ago and given the mindset the writers always had about it (i.e. it wasn't "about Amy"), I am doubtful that that is what's at play here. Especially because they don't plan that far in advance and seem to have short-term memory problems very often to the point of not remembering what a character said two weeks prior (but then remembering Raj is a Libra and Sheldon hates lamb... wtf). However, I am sure it wasn't that one comment per se that made Amy bolt and I do think there were things she has been questioning for a while when it comes to the bigger picture (i.e. does he want a future with her/does he want her in the same way she wants him). I just am not a fan of retconning just to do the writers' work for them: if they want me to buy that there were simmering issues under the surface with Amy, they need to do a better job than showing me -> *_* Amy for 90% of the season. It's lazy of them not to plan and then pull out a cliffhanger like this on a whim and expect everyone to buy it. But if I had to do *some* retconning and retrospective explanation for the cliffhanger to make life easier for them, I think the Mars thing is a much more believable and recent event that could have helped building it up. And another one that is practically unnoticed (mostly because Amy is happy there), is the fact that yes they did have that sleepover but she *still* had to negotiate with him the level of physical intimacy to something very low. I don't blame her if that, combined with him talking about the Flash during kissing, is the last straw that makes her question whether he's definitely uninterested and hurts her feelings.

• Like 8

Well, I think we need a strong statement here.....(IMO)

:icon_redface:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 7

I appreciate the need to bull shit oneself as much as the next person, but the kiss was nothing more than shock value. To tell yourself that it deeper purpose than that is really giving the writers WAY too much credit.

The only deeper purpose it could serve is to test the Shenny waters.

The rest of the episode sounds okay, but I am not sure I can watch some thing with that crap attached on either end.

• Like 4

Side note...

Mayim's IG post of her and Jim (with Jim holding the box) has just been posted on the Sheldon Cooper Facebook page.

Some poor soul thinks that Amy must be redeeming some Cooper Coupons.

They are going to get the shock of their lives in September.

That is one of the reasons I like being spoiled beforehand. For one thing I still like to read my favorite stories in text form. For another I like to know if something is going to be shocking or ridiculous or upsetting. If I know ahead of time I can read a good book instead and not be shocked into being upset all night and it will be a much more enjoyable evening.

• Like 6

That is one of the reasons I like being spoiled beforehand. For one thing I still like to read my favorite stories in text form. For another I like to know if something is going to be shocking or ridiculous or upsetting. If I know ahead of time I can read a good book instead and not be shocked into being upset all night and it will be a much more enjoyable evening.

No kidding. Ain't no way I am walking into this thing blind.

• Like 5

It didn't occur to me until now but I wonder if Amy is still reeling a bit from Sheldon's train trip last year. Hear me out. Last year he took off after a fight they had without talking to her. He didn't call her for help when he was robbed. He returned and all was status quo until he told her ILY and did more to show his feelings. However, I sense that Amy swept her feelings under the rug when he returned and made more of an effort. Things are good and then we get to the Mars application. Amy is hurt at Sheldon making making a life changing decision that may leave her behind again. Yes they made up, but what if it brought those unresolved feelings back to the surface? It was subtle but one could see her frustration at Sheldon making as effort with his mom, Leonard's mom, but not her. Alone, her getting at Sheldon's comment on their anniversary seems over the top. Take it with all that has happened, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. She doesn't want to be left behind but is not sure what she wants either. I think when the two really get to the heart of the matter will we see growth from both. When Sheldon gives her the time requested, that will go a long way. Maybe then Amy will get her courage up to tell Sheldon what she really needs, an equal partner, not a romantic Casanova who always puts himself first. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This makes a lot of sense to me :)

You're very welcome, and I'm glad it helped.  I know this is rough for all of us, but I have no doubt they're doing this to strengthen Shamy and make them better than ever.  No, I'm not going next week, sorry.

Thank you , yes you're right I keep thinking once they are back together it'll be amazing, they wouldn't go this far with this amount of show time without it resulting in big things !! :) 

About going to Season 11....the network (show) has an optional 11th season already signed in place, as do Jim, Kaley, Johnny, Kunal and SImon.  However, Mayim and Melissa would have to have new contracts negotiated because their contracts were for seasons 7, 8, 9 with option for 10.   So to start season 11, they would have to renegotiate contracts.  

To be honest, I think they need to move past where they are and write a new premise for any additional seasons (even Season 10) because the show is starting to get "old" in the minds of the general viewers (as Koops mentioned earlier).   It also has a premise that has been satisfied already starting around season 5.   So just as when they added the two girls, they need to make a bold move and decide that their premise is now "x" whatever they want that to be.  

It could be that they move to young marrieds premise....adjusting to married life, challenges with careers...have some of the guys move on to other things (out of Cal Tech) and some get tenured, etc. and the girls start weighing career goals with wanting to start family, etc.   They need to move to the next phase and how these geniuses adjust to that phase.   Trying to keep them as they were in the first seasons makes no sense ten years later.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

I appreciate the need to bull shit oneself as much as the next person, but the kiss was nothing more than shock value. To tell yourself that it deeper purpose than that is really giving the writers WAY too much credit.

The only deeper purpose it could serve is to test the Shenny waters.

The rest of the episode sounds okay, but I am not sure I can watch some thing with that crap attached on either end.

Agreed. This dream is in no way a ~deeper exploration~ of what a sexual Sheldon could be because it's not Sheldon's dream. It's Leonard's. It doesn't mean anything for Sheldon. And it's not even the real Sheldon, so you can't even pretend it's just the writers putting the idea that Sheldon is horny as hell into the general audience's mind. People are not gonna thing that. They're just not, just like no one has ever thought that Leonard's dream of Sheldon eating too much Thai food and splitting into two Sheldons was an indication that one day, there would be two Sheldons roaming the streets of Pasadena. (Well, one could argue that Amy is that second Sheldon, but you get what I'm saying.)

This whole cold open mess is just that: a mess. A mess that has no other goal than to shock, and I'm not even sure why, because ratings for the show are still high. I'm guessing the lack of Emmy nomination for the show this year is driving the writers mad and they think they need to write CBS's version of Game of Thrones to be relevant again with the Academy. That's pretty much the only way this whole mess makes sense. Be prepared to see Emily finally sew some limbs next week...

• Like 9

Wondering if tptb will set something up for shamy getting back together on the episode that is the first one on a Thursday, to really entice the viewings you know

Would that be a sweeps episode???

I don't see it as "just" to shock.  It does serve a purpose in the overall narrative--Leonard is dreaming a sort of "turnabout it fair play" scenario and with the worst possible candidate (except maybe for Wolowitz) his subconscious can imagine.

I don't think their trying to shock the audience for higher ratings or for Emmys or anything like that.  Sometimes a story is just a story.  Leonard has a bad dream regarding the kiss issue that makes him realize how it must be for Penny, what she must have felt.

I don't see it as a "mess" at all.

JMO

• Like 4

Wondering if tptb will set something up for shamy getting back together on the episode that is the first one on a Thursday, to really entice the viewings you know

Would that be a sweeps episode???

I do see their reconciliation occurring during sweeps, hands down.

and to respond to others, I did not say nor think that the make-out was implying Sheldon was horny when I said to sexualize Sheldon.  What I meant (and I've explained it several different ways now) is it simply plants the seed in peoples heads that Sheldon could eventually do something like that.  Not that he as a character is horny.  The writers have planted seeds like this before.  To me its just to prepare viewers for whats to come.  Silver lining, sure.  I do first and foremost agree it was for shock value.  It was so OOC for both of them.  And yes, it was Leonard's nightmare (lets stop calling it a dream---that's creepy now).  But what I mean is to see him in that kinda "take a woman down and have your way with her" sorta scene.  Again, agree to disagree.

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 5

I do see their reconciliation occurring during sweeps, hands down.

and to response, I did not say nor think that the make-out was implying Sheldon was horny when I said to sexualize Sheldon.  What I meant (and I've explained it several different ways) is it simply plants the seed in peoples heads that Sheldon could eventually do something like that.  Not that he as a character is horny.  The writers have planted seeds like this before.  To me its just to prepare viewers for whats to come.  Silver lining, sure.  I do first and foremost agree it was for shock value. 

My question is, why do you think the writers would feel they have to plant any seeds they haven't already planted with the Shamy makeout scenes and all that.  No one is going to have a heart attack if Sheldon and Amy have some kind of hot and heavy makeout scene, or think that it's out of character for Sheldon at this point in their journey.  People have been rooting for them to do more for a couple of seasons now. IMO, "preparing the audience" doesn't make sense as a writer motivation for this scene.

IMO, it's only about serving the Leonard story.

The first Thursday episode will be the 8th episode

I think that is plenty of time for shamy to be apart and get them on the road back together

That makes sense.

• Like 3