The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

2 hours ago, koops said:

On the other hand, I found the change in demeanor between Sheldon pre-sex and in that kiss (and even Sheldon in Earworm and the passion and abandon with which he lost himself in Amy) and Sheldon post-sex - being relatively unphased - to be a bit too sharp and a bit out of place by this stage.  They seem to really want to tiptoe around Sheldon’s sexuality even here, despite the fact that in the past we have had plenty of moments where it was clear that something was simmering under the surface (like I said, Earworm, his jealousy over Amy sleeping with other men, Prom, other times where he has been sexually possessive of her, Launch Acceleration and so on). And, frankly, to go implying that they engaged in intercourse for over two hours (“of bliss” according to Molaro) and then suddenly imply “Well, Sheldon’s kind of indifferent” is a bit of a stretch. 

THIS.

This is what bothered me the most. I understand they don't want to change Sheldon too much so they cut the cuddle scene. But do they have to make Sheldon that indifferent and calm? I mean I didn't expect "OMG that was amazing." But what they showed us makes me wonder if Sheldon really is asexual...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Shamyyes said:

So much to adore in this whole episode but one of my favorites is when he asks if she is cold and she says she's nervous when he asks "Why?"  I just love how he says that like why would you be nervous with me. Love it!

I know, he's is honestly surprised she is nervous and he has to ask "Why?"  It is sooooo sweet and it clearly says "I'm not nervous at all."  Awwwww...

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, koops said:

Ultimately, Mirs1, I totally agree: all I care about is to see them mutually happy with whatever arrangement works for them, and the ending seemed to imply that. I said it many times, but it makes no sense to put them through that whole torture of a breakup only to then revert back to Amy pressing for more and Sheldon digging his heels, especially knowing he has a ring stacked away somewhere.

The point is, because Amy's a supporting character and we rarely see the story from her point of view (she doesn't even have enough screen time). I'm having a hard time believing they're mutually happy. Sheldon is happy, that I can tell.

Maybe she's happy in the show but that's just what the writers want to show us. Like does she know her boyfriend may never have interests in sex but only does it for her? Does she know his boyfriend may never find her or anyone physically attractive? Is she Ok with never being desired? If Dave wasn't Sheldon's fan, would the Dave&Amy thing work? If she has more options, would she be happier or she would still run back to Sheldon the first chance she gets? We. Don't. Know. As long as she and Sheldon are still together, we assume she's fine and happy with everything.

I'm not saying she's not happy. I just wish the writers could show us more. And I have to say with all the build-ups in previous seasons about how Amy desires Sheldon, I really don't see how this "Sheldon doesn't want sex per se, he does it for Amy" thing would work for both of them. But I guess at the end of the day the writers will find a way to make them happy, or at least a way to make Sheldon happy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

The handholding was super cute and the type of physical contact they are most familiar and comfortable with. They could have been lying there in a state of shock each clutching the sheets to their own chests. However they were touching, Sheldon's eyelids were drooping gorgeously and his accent had slipped into the Texan drawl which emphasised his own blissed out state to go with Amy's. In that moment it was about the act itself and their response to it not about showing again how in love they are. Also there was a hint of Sheldon's undoubted prowess, I thought, due to the calm and satisfied state of him a kind of 'yep I nailed that' relief. No pun intended.  

Love. The bold part sort of made me zone out for a moment. :maninlove:

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I'm not saying she's not happy. I just wish the writers could show us more. And I have to say with all the build-ups in previous seasons about how Amy desires Sheldon, I really don't see how this "Sheldon doesn't want sex per se, he does it for Amy" thing would work for both of them. But I guess at the end of the day the writers will find a way to make them happy, or at least a way to make Sheldon happy.

Show us more than Amy thoroughly disheveled and out of breath?

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Musickat18 said:

Show us more than Amy thoroughly disheveled and out of breath?

Show us more than Amy oblivious of the reason why Sheldon wants to have sex with her, show us more than Amy with no other choice from the beginning to the end, show us more than Amy totally unware of her boyfriend may be asexual and may never have interests in sex.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jlove said:

Is anyone else in love with the way Sheldon's legs are constantly moving from the time Amy comes in?  It doesn't seem that he's nervous, given his surprise at her own nervousness, so what is it?  Anticipation?  The way he's looking at her coupled with his incessant movements kills me.  And yes, watching it on .25 on YouTube is amazing, thank you to I think it was Jenafan who suggested that.  From the moment she gets into bed he's attentively watching, her, waiting for her to look at him and of course she's fidgeting with the blankets, staring straight ahead, etc.  He even looks her up and down again like he did when she came in the door.  Especially the way he looks at her for about 5 seconds before the "Hello" in bed makes my knees go a little week.

He's quite calm throught this whole thing, but the looks combined with his inability to sit still make me think someone is just a *bit* excited this is actually happening.  :icon_razz:

This!!!!!  It's not in your face,  but there is a subtle hint of excitement and giddiness that is so adorable.   

I don't do gifs,  but if someone could gif that moment between settling into bed and his second "hello", I would be so happy. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

The most important thing for me when it comes to Sheldon in this episode is that he seemed to be so at peace with all of it.   Especially from the moment Amy walked into the bedroom.   This is a guy who worries about and over thinks everything.   His calm speaks so loudly to me,  before and after sex.   I love that part of his personality.   When all worries and fears cease to exist.  When thoughts and analysis have brought him to a conclusion,  Sheldon suddenly becomes the most grounded and mature person in the room.   The crazy disappears. And it is something that we get to see very rarely, but I've seen it when he talks about physics without trying to prove his superiority,  but just to express his knowledge and love for the subject.   And we've seen it time or two with Amy.  Anyway,  all that to say,  that's what I saw in the post coital scene.  Not indifference.   I saw calm and sweet and confident happiness.  And for someone who is often dominated by fear and worry that says so much about his emotional state at that moment. 

Also, about the parallels between the two plots, the parallel between Sheldon and Wil didn't cheapen things for me because they came to those thoughts from different places and different intentions.  Their words may have mirrored each other,  but their level of importance was not the same.  This meant so much to Sheldon while Wil couldn't have given a damn either way. 

I agree.  Afterwards he is obviously happy.  His smile is permanently there on his face, and gets bigger when Amy says "Me too!"  And we get more of that delightful twang when he ways he enjoyed it more than he thought he would.  Mmmm...

• Like 6

I died at thursday, remained that way at friday and resurrected at saturday. I'm almost a Messiah, except for the fact that Shamy killed me, not the Romans! :icon_cheesygrin:

I really would love to make comments about this episode, but I can't. I'm staring my keyboard for 20 minutes, waiting for something inspiring to hit me but nothing happens. It's so good that have nothing to say. Nothing will never be enough to translate how much I loved every single thing from this episode.

I'm in peace.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Listgirl said:

Post coitus Sheldon debate: I'm ok with the scene apart from the lack of mussed up hair on Sheldon's part which was a bit annoying.

Sheldon has very short hair, so it's not likely to get "mussed up" very much.

By comparison, Amy's hair is long, so it would be inclined to get disturbed.

57 minutes ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I wholeheartedly agree that they tried to make this episode great for everyone from the most casual viewer and/or old school Sheldon fan to the hardcore shippers, and in doing so they tried to keep the sex story as neutral as possible. And they definitely depended on the viewers' response to get an idea of their range of possibilities for future Shamy storylines. 

the second bolded part: this is my worst nightmare for this ship... thankfully I don't see this happening because 1) the episode response was very positive and 2) they gave Shamy (Sheldon in particular) so much character growth since the breakup, and they love this ship so much that they aren't going to want to revert back to Amy left wanting and Sheldon finding sex off-putting again, even if they believe there's comedy in that. Honestly that would be such a punch in the gut. I know they won't write Sheldon as a horndog (a choice I agree with) but it would be a treat for us shippers to see more (subtle) balanced romantic gestures between Sheldon and Amy. And as I think pretty much everyone has said, my biggest wishes for Shamy are for them both to feel loved and desired, and for them both to be happy and on the same page.

The reason I don't want Sheldon to come off as asexual is because TPTB have made it clear that Amy needs to feel physically/sexually desired on more than just a "because I love you" level, and it would be changing Amy's character to "settle" for Sheldon not having that desire. And yes, I can see why many people feel that Sheldon's character is being "changed" here now that he has had sex with Amy (the asexual community has been rather vocal about their dissatisfaction in losing asexual representation on the show), but I see it more as growth as opposed to "change" because I never saw him as asexual; I saw him as inexperienced and uninterested up until he met the right one... and now he has :) Amy didn't "cure" his asexuality because I don't believe he ever was, I believe he was just immature... he grew up very fast on an intellectual level so he is socially and emotionally stunted, and I think the writers were very smart in saying Sheldon's "force" is "awakening" (especially with its tie-in to Star Wars!) 

But yeah, that's my 2 cents and I don't want to open back up the sexuality argument; I just wanted to say why I believe he isn't and why I believe it's very limiting to Shamy if he is -- and the writers will not label him either way, so it's a moot argument ;) 

This is what I would have written if I wasn't a) a scientist by education and therefore in my case useless at expressing myself and B) distracted with the strictly come dancing final. Well said. 

Edited by Listgirl
  • Like 1

BTW, I worked from 4 to midnight yesterday, got home and watched Shamy gifs on Tumblr until pass 4 this morning....and fought myself to stay awake to make it happen. Send help.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Listgirl said:

Post coitus Sheldon debate: I'm ok with the scene apart from the lack of mussed up hair on Sheldon's part which was a bit annoying. They were drawing direct parallels with the guys so everyone was paralysed. The gag wouldn't work if they moved.

I'm sympathetic to those who need to see the cuddle however we have had lots of confirmation regarding the emotional connection between Shamy in 9.10 and 9.11  and that scene seemed in the final cut to be mainly about realised expectations for Shamy and the film goers so adding the cuddle was possibly playing just too sweet at that point in the episode with the gag in full swing.  They were obviously in two minds tho' as it was taped. 

The handholding was super cute and the type of physical contact they are most familiar and comfortable with. They could have been lying there in a state of shock each clutching the sheets to their own chests. However they were touching, Sheldon's eyelids were drooping gorgeously and his accent had slipped into the Texan drawl which emphasised his own blissed out state to go with Amy's. In that moment it was about the act itself and their response to it not about showing again how in love they are. Also there was a hint of Sheldon's undoubted prowess, I thought, due to the calm and satisfied state of him a kind of 'yep I nailed that' relief. No pun intended.  

I suppose the interesting question is if there was no cuddle taped would we still be missing it? 

Agree 100% :) 

1 hour ago, jlove said:

Is anyone else in love with the way Sheldon's legs are constantly moving from the time Amy comes in?  It doesn't seem that he's nervous, given his surprise at her own nervousness, so what is it?  Anticipation?  The way he's looking at her coupled with his incessant movements kills me.  And yes, watching it on .25 on YouTube is amazing, thank you to I think it was Jenafan who suggested that.  From the moment she gets into bed he's attentively watching, her, waiting for her to look at him and of course she's fidgeting with the blankets, staring straight ahead, etc.  He even looks her up and down again like he did when she came in the door.  Especially the way he looks at her for about 5 seconds before the "Hello" in bed makes my knees go a little weak.

He's quite calm throught this whole thing, but the looks combined with his inability to sit still make me think someone is just a *bit* excited this is actually happening.  :icon_razz:

Yes this , so this :) 

Hey, I remember that a few time ago someone invented a game about the order of ocurrence of shamy events at the episodes (make-up, coitus and engagement). Of course, they're not engaged yet (duh!) but who was right about the make up? And about the coitus?

• Like 1