The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

actually 9x05...there is a hiatus week in there you didn't account for.   October 29th episode will be the fifth episode aired.   They miss a week of airing in October, I believe....so that puts them airing the fifth episode on October 29th.   But yes, that is the first November sweeps week.

Ah, gotcha! I originally did put 9x05, but then I checked the calendar and thought we had no gaps, so it was 6. That sounds even better to me :icon_wink:

• Like 1

Ok I've got to ask ... what does "sweeps" mean ????

Sweeps happen four times a year where shows focus on getting the highest ratings possible because it is the time when advertising money comes into play...advertisers evaluate which shows get the highest ratings and are willing to pay more for higher rated shows than lower rated shows.  The point is to bring in advertising dollars which also means those shows with higher advertising dollars can also pay their cast/crew more.   It is all financial....but it also benefits viewers because it means shows go all out and try to put their best episodes on air then.

DTA:   What Kerry said above...more technical but correct.

About the Shenny kiss scene being a way to show a sexual Sheldon...I don't buy it.   If that were the case, then he would not have been OCC or a different character played by Jim as some have described....nor would they have had to choose it to be with Penny specifically to make him "sexual".   If anything that kind of makes the argument that Shamy don't belong together more compelling if the only way he can be portrayed as sexual is in a scene with Penny.   Sorry just can't buy that is the reason for that scene.   It is there because the writers clearly wanted it there to shock and to be a vehicle to awaken Leonard to what Penny was feeling about his kiss with Mandy.    

The writers have said in the past that they would love to see a sexual scene with Sheldon and Penny and so they went there with it.  They used the opportunity for it to try and help Leonard understand what Penny was feeling, but they also wanted to bring in viewers and shock viewers, while getting to do something they always wanted to do.   They love to annoy fans and knew that by annoying both Lenny and Shamy fans alike, they would be hitting most of their fanbase by doing so.   They annoy fans to stir things up to get them to watch and tune in.   Make them "have to see" what is going on...and most of the time it works, sometimes backfires.  I suspect it will work in this case.  They will bring in casual viewers in droves wondering what is going on.   So they will have achieved their goal.  They got to watch Jim/Kaley in a sexual scene...they "invented" a logical explanation for the scene with the Leonard epiphany and they will get their shock value to draw viewers.   But it isn't to show a sexual Sheldon.  They achieved that already with the Amy fanfic dream.  It is obvious they could show a sexual Sheldon just with Shamy alone.  They didn't need to have it be with Penny at all.   If they felt that way...then they are promoting the wrong couple.  It sounds like they can't achieve it with Amy so they had to use Penny to do the trick.  IF...that was their purpose.   I just can't buy that.  They could easily have shown Sheldon having a sexy dream of he and Amy if the purpose was to show and get the audience ready for a sexual Sheldon.   This kiss was not necessary to do that.   If anything...it could make it seem he is with the wrong woman and that would be devastating.   So I can't buy that as a goal or reason.   

They wanted shock value and to get their jollies by doing something they wanted to do and created a vehicle for giving it logic...pure and simple.   That is why I am frustrated about it all.  It is gratuitous and unnecessary truly from a story telling perspective.  The Leonard epiphany could have been achieved without an actual kiss but an implied going to kiss  would have sufficed.  They could have readied the audience by Sheldon having a full on hot and passionate dream and about he and Amy (as part of his struggle with the breakup)  in order to ready the audience for a sexual and sensual Sheldon.   There were tons of other ways to accomplish the latter without the need of Sheldon and Penny in a compromising manner.   So this was for shock and for their own desire.  Pure and simple.

Rick, Mayim and Melissa signed their contracts toward the end of S6.   CBS had not renewed through S10 yet.   That was still being negotiated.   So M/M signed for 7,8,9 with an extension to 10 if there was a 10th season at most.   I don't think their contracts were stated beyond that.   I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that their new contracts went into effect in Season 7, not 8 like the other five.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 9

That's what i feel too, insulted and also disgusted and disappointed. It's bringing me everything I felt before Sheldon kissed Amy on 7.15. The pain of shipping a couple who were in a romantic relationship for 2 seasons and barely kissed, not even when Amy was 'in the zone' not even in a dream. And when we finally got there, they cut it off like in the finale. I don't care if it was Penny or anyone else, and if it was just a dream, it's still infuriates me how easy it is to the writers to write something too visual like that with Sheldon and another woman.

Amen to that  !!! I feel exactly the same. They owe us the biggest Shamy make out EVER !

• Like 8

About the Shenny kiss scene being a way to show a sexual Sheldon...I don't buy it.   If that were the case, then he would not have been OCC or a different character played by Jim as some have described....nor would they have had to choose it to be with Penny specifically to make him "sexual".   If anything that kind of makes the argument that Shamy don't belong together more compelling if the only way he can be portrayed as sexual is in a scene with Penny.   Sorry just can't buy that is the reason for that scene.   It is there because the writers clearly wanted it there to shock and to be a vehicle to awaken Leonard to what Penny was feeling about his kiss with Mandy.    

The writers have said in the past that they would love to see a sexual scene with Sheldon and Penny and so they went there with it.  They used the opportunity for it to try and help Leonard understand what Penny was feeling, but they also wanted to bring in viewers and shock viewers, while getting to do something they always wanted to do.   They love to annoy fans and knew that by annoying both Lenny and Shamy fans alike, they would be hitting most of their fanbase by doing so.   They annoy fans to stir things up to get them to watch and tune in.   Make them "have to see" what is going on...and most of the time it works, sometimes backfires.  I suspect it will work in this case.  They will bring in casual viewers in droves wondering what is going on.   So they will have achieved their goal.  They got to watch Jim/Kaley in a sexual scene...they "invented" a logical explanation for the scene with the Leonard epiphany and they will get their shock value to draw viewers.   But it isn't to show a sexual Sheldon.  They achieved that already with the Amy fanfic dream.  It is obvious they could show a sexual Sheldon just with Shamy alone.  They didn't need to have it be with Penny at all.   If they felt that way...then they are promoting the wrong couple.  It sounds like they can't achieve it with Amy so they had to use Penny to do the trick.  IF...that was their purpose.   I just can't buy that.  They could easily have shown Sheldon having a sexy dream of he and Amy if the purpose was to show and get the audience ready for a sexual Sheldon.   This kiss was not necessary to do that.   If anything...it could make it seem he is with the wrong woman and that would be devastating.   So I can't buy that as a goal or reason.   

They wanted shock value and to get their jollies by doing something they wanted to do and created a vehicle for giving it logic...pure and simple.   That is why I am frustrated about it all.  It is gratuitous and unnecessary truly from a story telling perspective.  The Leonard epiphany could have been achieved without an actual kiss but an implied going to kiss  would have sufficed.  They could have readied the audience by Sheldon having a full on hot and passionate dream and about he and Amy (as part of his struggle with the breakup)  in order to ready the audience for a sexual and sensual Sheldon.   There were tons of other ways to accomplish the latter without the need of Sheldon and Penny in a compromising manner.   So this was for shock and for their own desire.  Pure and simple.

Thank you!

I've been squirming to say something like this all day, but after the Intimacy Acceleration episode, I promised myself I would never talk about Shenny again. I have a strong opinion about that episode and also about this kiss now, but I won't waste my time discussing this anymore. I'm not cheating on my promise by agreeing with you, am I? Haha :p

• Like 2

When did the writers say they wanted to see a sexual scene with Sheldon and Penny?  I'd always heard that they were adamantly against anything Shenny-ish, except for the way they've played with it recently, where they've underscored the sibling relationship.

• Like 2

When did the writers say they wanted to see a sexual scene with Sheldon and Penny?  I'd always heard that they were adamantly against anything Shenny-ish, except for the way they've played with it recently, where they've underscored the sibling relationship.

Yeah I don't remember ever hearing about this either. Quite the opposite.
  • Like 3

Mayim recently said she was contracted up to season 10

THey're all contracted through season 10, I believe.  It's season 11 that would be an issue.

Jim, Kaley, and Johnny's contracts allow for the possibility of S11.  I'm not sure about Simon and Kunal, but since their contracts were negotiated at the same time, I imagine they also have that provision for S11 if the studio wants it.

It's Mayim and Melissa who would have to negotiate new terms for S11 and their contracts apparently didn't provide for that option.

• Like 1

Jim Reynolds talked about it on one of the writers panels...I don't think they meant so much for the show...as much as the writers wanted to watch it....sort of in a joking manner, but you could tell by the way they all nodded when he joked about it that they were hoping to find a reason to write it in even though they never want Shenny as a romantic couple.   They are very clear about that they are not going there. But it was a fantasy of theirs.

I don't ever recall such a thing...

I don't ever recall such a thing...

It wasn't this year...I want to say it was in maybe 2013 or 2014...don't recall which year....and I can't remember if it was Comic-Con, but I think it was a different panel.   Not paley, but one associated with a press update, I remember the comment and wondered at the time...but you could tell he was joking yet that they had talked about it in the writers' room...mainly because they were talking about how they all loved Kaley so much.   I took it as a "slip of the tongue' yet it still stuck out to me.   It could have been a Comic-Con, but for some reason I associate it with a press event.

Edited by stardustmelody

I really don't recall such a thing. I can remember Dave Goscht saying that Kaley was fun to hang out with and that they look forward to doing so but nothing about Shenny at all.

And anyway, I've said this in another post but I've come to accept that the Shenny kiss is just a simple nightmare of Leonard's. I don't think it foreshadows anything nor does it affect the Shamy story in any way. I'm not happy but not devastated either. 

I can agree that Shamy has become somewhat tainted with these past 2 TRs but I don't think they're ruined just yet. My trust in the writers has dramatically decreased but I'll wait and see what happens before I decide whether or not I wanna give up on this couple and this show.

• Like 2

@mphs95 I really like your pics. Your cats are adorable!

Thank you. They're my babies. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't recall such a thing. I can remember Dave Goscht saying that Kaley was fun to hang out with and that they look forward to doing so but nothing about Shenny at all.

And anyway, I've said this in another post but I've come to accept that the Shenny kiss is just a simple nightmare of Leonard's. I don't think it foreshadows anything nor does it affect the Shamy story in any way. I'm not happy but not devastated either. 

I can agree that Shamy has become somewhat tainted with these past 2 TRs but I don't think they're ruined just yet. My trust in the writers has dramatically decreased but I'll wait and see what happens before I decide whether or not I wanna give up on this couple and this show.

Well you know how those panels go at times..a lot of under the breath comments, overtalking and undertalking.   I know they were all kind of talking over each other a lot so perhaps that could be why, but I do remember them nodding at Jim when he made his under the breath comment...which, by the way, was said very fast and only in the context of them talking about working with Kaley and Jim and their friendship, etc.   It was all in the same conversation.   But I am sure it was not meant anything at all about where they wanted to go with the show or characters.  I remember at the time I took it as just them joking and talking their fantasies...nothing about the show.   I only even recalled it because the kiss came up in the TR and it immediately came to mind.  Otherwise it was a very non-consequential discussion and comment. :girlwink:   I am wondering if it was a non-released panel though now that I think of it because I do have access to press items that others don't have access to that often do not get released.   Hmmm...if I have time I may go exploring for it.   But not today....too many things coming out that I have been having to report on. :girlwink:

Edited by stardustmelody

Well you know how those panels go at times..a lot of under the breath comments, overtalking and undertalking.   I know they were all kind of talking over each other a lot so perhaps that could be why, but I do remember them nodding at Jim when he made his under the breath comment...which, by the way, was said very fast and only in the context of them talking about working with Kaley and Jim and their friendship, etc.   It was all in the same conversation.   But I am sure it was not meant anything at all about where they wanted to go with the show or characters.  I remember at the time I took it as just them joking and talking their fantasies...nothing about the show.   I only even recalled it because the kiss came up in the TR and it immediately came to mind.  Otherwise it was a very non-consequential discussion and comment. :girlwink:   I am wondering if it was a non-released panel though now that I think of it because I do have access to press items that others don't have access to that often do not get released.   Hmmm...if I have time I may go exploring for it.   But not today....too many things coming out that I have been having to report on. :girlwink:

Haha all right :icon_biggrin: I've watched those panels several times but never caught on to anything related to that at all. 

• Like 1

Jim Reynolds talked about it on one of the writers panels...I don't think they meant so much for the show...as much as the writers wanted to watch it....sort of in a joking manner, but you could tell by the way they all nodded when he joked about it that they were hoping to find a reason to write it in even though they never want Shenny as a romantic couple.   They are very clear about that they are not going there. But it was a fantasy of theirs.

Not surprised, it's very clear from all these amy/leonard fantasies or things like the breast scene or the dominogasm+ ILU or Penny kissing him on s6 or the Intimacy test etc etc. We never see this kind of scene between Sheldon&Bernadette for example, it's always Penny.

And to think that these are the people in charge to write my otp, my god

• Like 7

Not surprised, it's very clear from all these amy/leonard fantasies or things like the breast scene or the dominogasm+ ILU or Penny kissing him on s6 or the Intimacy test etc etc. We never see this kind of scene between Sheldon&Bernadette for example, it's always Penny.

And to think that these are the people in charge to write my otp, my god

Yes...they seem to like to pair Sheldon/Penny a lot into compromising scenes/dreams/fatnasies.   It is not a wonder that it does make fans uneasy about their ships and where they may be going with things when they toss out scenes like these even if they are clearly not related to the ships.  But it does create an unease overall, even if we do see a commitment to our ships and know that they are end-game.   It is unfortunately because it always puts fans a bit on edge and worried whether they should stay invested. :girlsigh:

• Like 4

God, the number of posts I have typed out and then deleted....

Instead, I will sit at my computer in my fabulous rose-colored glasses and carry on. :girlglasses:

• Like 9

Really hope so. In 2, TWO weeks I've been so fool...I don't know if I'll expect something for next week (especially because there's no script cover, so yay, that's the punishment for the bad behavior of some fans, unfortunatelly). But I just can't stay away from spoilers.

I missed something somewhere. I've been into reading about what is going to happen I must have missed what you are talking about "bad behavior of some fans". What happened?????

I missed something somewhere. I've been into reading about what is going to happen I must have missed what you are talking about "bad behavior of some fans". What happened?????

After the big disappointment from the episode taped at this tuesday (9x02), some fans attacked Bill Prady on Twitter, offending and cursing him. He, then, replied saying that people should watch the episode before freak out and telling that he would block these impolite people.
Usually on wednesdays he post the script cover on his Twitter and we begin the speculations. But this time he didn't, probably because the bad behavior of a few at the past night. So this is kinda that a punishment for us. :(

One more thing I want to point out about the kiss.  I don't know if this will help or not, but here's my thought.  I was personally a bit concerned they might actually try to go down the road of Sheldon trying to date or kiss another girl to make Amy jealous.  I have zero worries about it now, and here's why--they already got the shock of something like that out of the way.  And although the idea of Shenny still makes me want to vomit, in a way, I'm glad it went down the way it did.  I would much rather have it be with Penny because we KNOW that would NEVER EVER happen in "real life".  They've already established that the two of them feel like brother and sister to each other and that they're not in love with each other.  Penny is married to Leonard now and Sheldon is still fighting to win back Amy's affections.  As much as Intimacy is still not my favorite episode, I'm glad they did make that clear before anything like this occurred.  And the best part is, this was a dream and not at all real, and it wasn't either of them who dreamed the scene.  There will be no Sheldon kissing anyone in real life aside from Amy.  There is absolutely no point after they gave us this shock.

I agree. If anything I can see the writers have Amy going in a date and Sheldon showing up but instead of freaking out he would tell the date things that would make Amy happy. What better way to put a crack into the shell she is putting around herself 

• Like 4