The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

You know what, Tallin? I don't know if I agree with you completely. Bernadette is not very developed, and lately they've made her even more one dimensional by making her almost constantly mean. However I do think that Amy, while being a supporting character is developed enough that I can see her as an "almost" main character. I also think she could have a story line to herself. the only thing needed would be to stretch story arcs through various episodes. I'd hope they'd do that and let stories breathe a little more , give them more space and not bore us to tears with dreck as the Sheldon Penny "love test" or whatever the heck that crap was called.

While I see where you coming from, Amy had A LOT of screen time this year, imagine the scenario where Sheldon would not be here at all. How many bigger plots would she have? One, or two? We don't know her family, know very little about her past, didn't saw her doing some serious research, really nothing much aside her relationship and interactions with girls. She could of course have bigger scientific plot or plots with girls and I'm all for it, but she is obligated to be in every episode but at the same time because of limited screen time and repetitiveness it could be just I guess one to three plots like that per year. Without Sheldon I guess she would have just some line here and there, which I think would be shame because (I don't know how it would be for you - don't know your opinion), but for me Mayim is great actress and I enjoy her handle on Amy very much.Plus I think it would be little pointless for her to even be on the show. Don't know how writers would feel about stretching the story arcs, while they have this "one plot, let's forget about it" attitude. But at least this season finale deserves way more for both couples. 

I liked Sheldon/Penny scenes before when they had this "dumb/clueless" vibe with funny teasing, but their current approach makes me more bored than entertained, so I don't really have to see them together.  But that's just me. 

I agree with you in that Mayim is a very good actress. I like all of them (as actors) but I think only Mayim and Simon can elevate the material (meaning make it great to watch when the material isn't as good). And I'm even saying this being a Lenny (lol). the reason I believe it would be possible for her to have a plot (mostly) to herself is because we know that even if she's "away" from Sheldon at the time it will not be permanent, and whatever interactions they have will be on the road to getting back together. The current approach to Sheldon and Penny irks me to no end because to me it's wasting screen time that could be dedicated to something better.  

• Like 1

I don´t see SHAMY separated till Christmas. It would take at least 10 or 11 episodes, a lot of time for no SHAMY interaction. The writers know how much the audience   love SHAMY doing things together, (and Jim and Mayim too!)

IMO, no more than three episodes, four as much.

• Like 3

I don't see them being separated beyond Christmas. I'd be so devastated if they were!!!

I'm kinda on the fence about the current platonic Shenny scenes...I do miss the good old days of Dr Wackadoodle and the blonde monkey, but I think their scenes now have a certain brother-sister feel to them, and I appreciate the development in their (platonic) relationship. I like how they now seem to go to each other for advice, I think that's sweet. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a waste of screen time.

I don't see them being separated beyond Christmas. I'd be so devastated if they were!!!

I'm kinda on the fence about the current platonic Shenny scenes...I do miss the good old days of Dr Wackadoodle and the blonde monkey, but I think their scenes now have a certain brother-sister feel to them, and I appreciate the development in their (platonic) relationship. I like how they now seem to go to each other for advice, I think that's sweet. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a waste of screen time.

Sheldon & Penny have ALWAYS been that way.  Acting like siblings and her going to him for advice (particularly about Leonard and him to her about Amy/relationship) has gone on since the beginning.  None of that is new.  

I think if people were being honest with themselves (IMO), Shenny scenes didn't bother them UNTIL they found out and heard about the "romantic" Shenny ship.  I asked some on here earlier, if their scenes didn't bother you before you heard of the Shenny ship, why should it bother you now?  But because of some vocal Shenny's they let it bother them now which is sad.

• Like 5

Yeah but those scenes just seem a little different now...I think they've both gotten so used to each other that there isn't as much condescension, snide comments, etc. They seem to be a bit more friendly, which is nice.

I agree, some people seem to let the romantic Shenny ship bother them a little too much, and therefore skew the way they view all Shenny interactions in the show. I think the writers have consistently made it pretty clear that romantic Shenny is never going to happen, so we ultimately have nothing to worry about. 'Intimacy Acceleration' was really the nail in the coffin of romantic Shenny.

• Like 1

How is it going Shamyland? I haven't been here for awhile... Rewatching some episodes from season 8. Do we have someone going to ComicCon yet?

Is there anything Big Bang related at Comic Con? A friend of mine from France has just landed in LAX to go there as a journalist, I'm SOOOOOOOO freaking jealous :p

I miss the time with all the cast and producers at the pannel :)

Do we know when they're back at work ? (well Big Bang work obviously since Jim and Kunal are at Broadway for instance).

I'm craving taping reports, promo pic, spoilers, information, anything related to season 9 !!!!

• Like 2

Is there anything Big Bang related at Comic Con? A friend of mine from France has just landed in LAX to go there as a journalist, I'm SOOOOOOOO freaking jealous :p

I miss the time with all the cast and producers at the pannel :)

Do we know when they're back at work ? (well Big Bang work obviously since Jim and Kunal are at Broadway for instance).

I'm craving taping reports, promo pic, spoilers, information, anything related to season 9 !!!!

I think there will be a writers panel (not sure about the producers of some cast), on friday. In the Cast and Crew Forum there is a post about Comic-Con, I'm sure there we will find all the up-dates...

• Like 1

The first taping is Aug. 11, putting the first table read at Aug. 5th which a month away so I'd say the writers are back to work.

• Like 1

I watchTBBT since the Pilot, but I am here since middle season 6. 

SHAMY was created by the writers in 4 x 1. I want to know if Shenny ship has been before SHAMY or it was "imagined" after SHAMY.

Thank you, dear Shamies!

I watchTBBT since the Pilot, but I am here since middle season 6. 

SHAMY was created by the writers in 4 x 1. I want to know if Shenny ship has been before SHAMY or it was "imagined" after SHAMY.

Thank you, dear Shamies!

Some fans thought (and still think) Sheldon and Penny would make a better couple than her and Leonard due to the chemistry Sheldon & Penny have but they have comedic chemistry and some of those fans confuse it with romantic chemistry.  It's NOT the same thing. 

Shenny was NEVER "canon."  It's always been  Leonard & Penny as the canon couple and then when Amy came along, Shamy was created.  

Does that help clear things up?

• Like 6

Some fans thought (and still think) Sheldon and Penny would make a better couple than her and Leonard due to the chemistry Sheldon & Penny have but they have comedic chemistry and some of those fans confuse it with romantic chemistry.  It's NOT the same thing. 

Shenny was NEVER "canon."  It's always been  Leonard & Penny as the canon couple and then when Amy came along, Shamy was created.  

Does that help clear things up?

Thank you, Kathr, I know that since Pilot, but what I want to know is if the word Shenny was used in the forum before 4 x 1. when  SHAMY was created.  I know Shenny(as word) was never mentioned in the show, I mean here in the fórums! Thank you in advance!

Thank you, Kathr, I know that since Pilot, but what I want to know is if the word Shenny was used in the forum before 4 x 1. when  SHAMY was created.  I know Shenny(as word) was never mentioned in the show, I mean here in the fórums! Thank you in advance!

I saw a Kaley's interview at some comic-con (before Amy's character was created) in which she referred to Shenny as a word the cast invented to indicate Sheldon and Penny scenes. I don't know if it was by it the fans took the idea, anyway the word already existed...

• Like 2

Regardless, I don't think we need to worry about Shenny ever happening.

Changing the topic - here's hoping we get something good for Shamy out of the TBBT Comic-Con panel! 

• Like 3

Regardless, I don't think we need to worry about Shenny ever happening.

Changing the topic - here's hoping we get something good for Shamy out of the TBBT Comic-Con panel! 

I only want to point that Shenny was never named in the show, on screen,  since Pilot to 8 x 24. Except Bernie(I think) , SHAMY was named by all the characters, especially by Penny.

I M O, at SDCC, the writers will choose very carefully their words  about SHAMY (and Lenny too).

August 11th is coming!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Exactly! Shenny has never even been named on the show. That entire ship is just wishful thinking on the part of a sizeable minority of the TBBT fandom.

5 weeks to go until the first taping!!! The countdown is well and truly on. I am excited but terrified at the same time!

Edited by The Mushroom Log
  • Like 3

I remember when I first heard of Shenny! It was something I had never even thought about and I was like OMG??? The writers have clearly shown them as a brother/sister relationship

• Like 1

Actually, I have no problem with Shenny...I mean, I don't agree at all with them, but if someone thinks that Sheldon and Penny  could be a great couple, well...there's no accounting for taste! What baffles me is that for a few of them in the old episodes there were proofs that they were "secretly" attracted to each other, that there was flirting going on, even if the actors themselves denied that they acted the scenes that way

Let's think to our ship, anyway...It's very very unlikely that at the Comic-Con the writers will spoil anything, they will  keep their work secret as long as they can, and I understand that, but we can still hope;  it is finally nice from my point of view to have some  first-hand "fresh" news (on whatever subject), instead of just speculations...I'm happy about it!

Actually, I have no problem with Shenny...I mean, I don't agree at all with them, but if someone thinks that Sheldon and Penny  could be a great couple, well...there's no accounting for taste! What baffles me is that for a few of them in the old episodes there were proofs that they were "secretly" attracted to each other, that there was flirting going on, even if the actors themselves denied that they acted the scenes that way

Let's think to our ship, anyway...It's very very unlikely that at the Comic-Con the writers will spoil anything, they will  keep their work secret as long as they can, and I understand that, but we can still hope;  it is finally nice from my point of view to have some  first-hand "fresh" news (on whatever subject), instead of just speculations...I'm happy about it!

What??!!   A few of the older episodes show proof that they were flirting with each other and they were secretly attracted to each other??  Which ones!!  I never saw anything like that.

What??!!   A few of the older episodes show proof that they were flirting with each other and they were secretly attracted to each other??  Which ones!!  I never saw anything like that.

Exactly!!!! That is my opinion too..but then on the internet I've found some crazy stuff...The first which came into my mind was in the pilot, when Sheldon and Penny are near Sheldon's board, but really I've read much worse than that!

Exactly!!!! That is my opinion too..but then on the internet I've found some crazy stuff...The first which came into my mind was in the pilot, when Sheldon and Penny are near Sheldon's board, but really I've read much worse than that!

Yes, I've heard that too but in that exact same episode in the tag where they're all in the car going to dinner, (Sheldon & Leonard in the front seat with Penny sitting in between Raj & Howard in the back seat with Howard singing that ridiculous song), Sheldon tells Leonard something like "I don't know what your chances are in the real world but as far as the population of this car, you're a veritable Mack Daddy."  In other words, Howard's too creepy for her, Raj couldn't even talk to her and Sheldon wasn't interested in her.  He even showed disinterest all throughout the show.  

He didn't want to say Hi to her, he didn't want to invite her to dinner, he wouldn't sit next to her when she sat in his spot.  And as far as the"flirting" at his white board....when have we EVER known Sheldon NOT be all superior when it comes to his work?  Yeah, she probably flirted with him at first but like she told Amy years later, "at some point that face starts talking."

• Like 1

I've actually watched some 1st - 3rd season recently and I can honestly say that never have I seen anything that looks to be flirting between those two.  if they are counting Sheldon accidentally grabbing her boob while helping her dress after she dislocated her shoulder and when he hugged her after getting Leonard Nimoy's napkin, well, then that's just....sad.

• Like 2

Sheldon to Amy in Love Spell  (6 x 23): "BEFORE you I´ve NEVER been interested in an intimate relationship with anyone" Clear, isn´t it?

• Like 1

Susan, I agree that Sheldon couldn't have been more clear about his attraction to women before Amy than Love Spell.  However, some people will read something into anything if it goes along with their thinking.  Nothing we can do.

Let's just remember folks that the producers felt the need to write The Intimacy Acceleration just to spell out that Shenny is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN because these fans, even after being hit in the head with a can of corn in the form of Shamy, still didn't get it.  If they don't after that, well....let them live in their own fantasy world.  We've got the real thing, or as real as it can get.

• Like 4