[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

40 minutes ago, April said:

But what exactly do you mean by that? What exactly do you want to have changed and why? (Don't take that in an accusatory way, just wanting to keep a bit of a conversation here. lol)

The thing is, for me personally anyway, I don't expect Sheldon to be radically different with the gang after his and Amy's relationship upgrade. So I'll always expect him pulling some sort of outlandish shenanigans. What I do think and hope for however is that the writers will use these kinds of plots to continue his character development and -like it seems to be the case here- smooth out some of his rough edges. As Einstein put it so nicely, the point here seems to be that he learns a bit more humility and treat his friends better. The lesson, apparently, needs a bit to sink in as he tries to optimize his ability to empathise with the others. And of course he fails in part, for humorous effect, but the main point I take away from this is that he tries and wants to connect with the others and doesn't want to be left out or feel rejected. So yes, while there might be a lot of "Sheldon is still Sheldon" humour in it the ultimate goal seems to be to push him forward away from that. (Or at least that's my impression from the TR without having seen the thing, Idk how the final episode will come across.)

I mean yes, any change with him is excruciatingly slow so I get that frustration. But these days at least I feel like they're going *somewhere* with this as opposed to some earlier seasons.

Don't worry, I'm not taking your reply the wrong way! I don't know if I can explain myself properly, but the promo (of course watching the episode will be much more different) seemed a little forced to me, that's it. Sheldon's character development so far has been amazing and I like that throughout all these changes there still remain some sort of fix points, that you can count that on a certain situation he will do or say the wrong thing and that he will be oblivious most of the times on what's appropriate and what's not. So I also don't expect him (and above all I don't want him) to be different with the gang and,  to a certain extent, with Amy. But to stress it with a whole episode, it's a bit too redundant, I didn't felt that way reading the TR, but that's the sensation I got watching those scenes (again, I'm sure the whole episode will turn out differently, since in them there will be also the part about learning empathy, that in the promo was kind of lacking)

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

Actually as for the "To keep Sheldon still Sheldon" part, I think Shamy is the not the problem. What changed are the lines and facial expressions of Sheldon.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jim's acting. I think he's amazing as always. But I discovered recently that the way Sheldon talks (not to Amy but to other people) has changed. He moves a lot and has more facial expressions when he talks, compared with the old, kind of robotic Sheldon. In addition, Sheldon's lines are more normal than before, for example, he understands sarcasms now. These all make him "less Sheldon" to me. 

I found out about this from the start of this season. Before I just thought he was acting weird because he's devastated about the break up. But in 912, he's still acting this way. He seems way too excited throughout the entire episode for no reason at all. Actually I think he's more like the old Sheldon when he skypes Amy.

If I have to describe his behaviors in one sentence, I thinks Sheldon is "overly enthusiastic about almost everything for no particular reasons"......

What I'm trying to say is I think the writers should focus more on Sheldon's lines and the way he acts in order to keep him "still Sheldon" because to me that's the main problem, not whether or not Shamy are having sex lol.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I think that is the point.    Sheldon is not robotic Sheldon anymore.   He is embracing his feelings and his emotions.   He is more enthusiastic about life because he realizes now that there is more to life than the world he built around himself.    The old was working for him, but in his efforts to try and sustain it, he was driving the people away he had grown to care about, particularly Amy.  He appreciates his friends that have stuck with him.   He got his girl back.   He dropping subtle hints regarding his future with Amy, apparently with children.   He's happy.

Sheldon is still Sheldon.   He still speaks in analogies that sometimes need translation.   Comments such as Amy's line about missing him go over his  head.   Obviously, she was referring to more things than just his absence.   He still takes all the credit for achievements, such as in finding Raj's asteroid (although he was the one to find the anomaly on the computer.)   He still hates Valentine's Day.   He thinks naming all their kids Rajesh is a good trade for what he got.   He still pokes fun at Leonard.  He still sits in his spot.

He's still Sheldon, but he has taken Leonard's advice.   He's focusing on the people in his life now.

While I don't think sex changed him, he likely got a huge release from some pent-up tension, making him easier to be around.   There's a reason why some tell grumpy people they need to get laid.  Sheldon was long overdue for some endorphins.   He's more positive than he used to be.

Yeah, maybe you're right. But a lot of the people I know watching the show are not pleased with this "more enthusiastic about life" Sheldon because they think he's not as fun as before.

He's still quirky, that's for sure. But I think after nine years people are familiar with his usual quirks. They're still funny, but only mediocre sitcom funny, not "rock-paper-scissor-lizard-spock" or "Bazinga" funny.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, jenafan said:

It kind of rubs me the wrong way that people want to keep Sheldon the way he was, thinking it's funnier for someone to live without a clue and without love.

Right! I want to like this more then just once!!! 

• Like 6

On 12/28/2015 at 11:43 AM, mirs1 said:

It was not clear from what we saw on screen how much time passed between reconciliation and cold open of 9.11 but, as you said, it doesn't make sense for Penny saying what she said if a more than a week had already passed...So, in my head, Shamy  reconciliated on Saturday December 12th and the cold open of 9.11 took place on Monday December 14th.  Anyway, the three of them in that scene for me are eating lunch or more likely dinner (usually they work all day and boys eat at Calthec), not breakfast, since in their plates there's some pasta and a salad. Not sure if Sheldon had one or two sleepovers at Amy's over that week-end (again it was not clear from what we saw on screen) but I'm sure he spent with her as much time as he could and I also had the impression that meal was the first time the three of them were together after that Saturday. As for Sheldon's rituals, Saturday night at 8 pm is laundry night and he never missed it, so really he was out of his mind for Amy when he run to her place...

Thank you! 

I never really noticed that about the food - but i guess you're right! So my head canon will be 2 sleepovers :)

Damn i forgot about laundry night! Omg you're right! Actually i think he was already going crazy with that song driving him mad - i guess maybe it was the initial reason he's abandoned laundry night, and then later when he was with Amy obviously he didn't care for it ; ) reading this just makes me happy : )

PS guys, i've been away for a while - does anybody know in which episode we're gonna see Sheldon's Meemaw, or is it still unclear?

Edited by brilliantfool
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, brilliantfool said:

PS guys, i've been away for a while - does anybody know in which episode we're gonna see Sheldon's Meemaw, or is it still unclear?

We don't know yet.  We'll know tomorrow night if it is the next one or not!  :-)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jenafan said:

You and I are on the same page here.   I know others disagree, but I don't care how much of a bad patient my husband is when he is sick.   I don't leave him to his own devices.    I may fuss and yell at him for being a jerk, but I still care for him, bring him soup, etc.     Amy outright lied to Sheldon and manipulated him into bathing her, etc.    The least she could do is be there for him to give him tender loving care.   Maybe her absence is part of the reason why he was in a bad mood. 

One time I got into an argument with my hubby when he was ill, and I left the house to do my own thing to avoid him.   I came home and had to rush him to the ER.   I almost lost him because of my stubbornness in not wanting to put up with him.    So, I have to admit to bias on my view here.

You girls aren't alone, I also was annoyed that Amy purposely avoided Sheldon when he was sick. No matter how much of an ass he can be, she should have been there for him and if anything, teach him to NOT be an ass while taking care of him, not avoid him all together. That's what being supportive of someone you love is all about. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, tsnt100 said:

Thanks! I'll be happy to provide all the spoilers to you guys! =D

Thank you so much, and I hope you, jlove and the other forum members going to the taping have a lot of fun!!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tsnt100 said:

Thanks! I'll be happy to provide all the spoilers to you guys! =D

Thanks so much, have the best time - kids eh !!. Sounds like your going to get a good show anyway :) 

3 hours ago, jlove said:

Maybe we'll see each other in line!

Have an amazing amazing time - I'm so excited for you two !!

• Like 6

maybe a little late to the discussion, but just wanted to give my 2 cents regarding the "Amy's away for 2eps/Sheldon is still Sheldon/Amy doesn't care for him when he's sick' discussion!

I remember when i heard it at first i was kind of sad that Amy didn't wanna take care of  him... While in general i wouldn't find it to be the worst thing - i think she kinda needs to be stronger and not let Sheldon be mean to her even if he's sick and has a hard time controlling his mood - i found it really upsetting that she's made this decision in their kinda honeymoon/post coital phase.. They seemed to be so close to each other last few episodes that this has made me sad.
But shortly after in the discussion thread we came to the conclusion (i don't remember who was there with the same idea) that most likely the decision to keep Amy away for 2 episodes after 9x11 was because the writers wanted to see how the shamy sex would be perceived by  the general public? and just go from there. I mean i think they generally had a sense of direction of course, where they wanted to go with it after , but at the same time wanted to make sure they've made the right decision, since it's kind of a big milestone, and i think the writers are trying to be really careful and not to jump the shark.
(And i admire them for that so much, most of my fav shows jumped the shark in the middle of the series : ( )
9x12 and 9x13 were written and shot before the 9x11 premiere, and then after dec. 17th they had a few days before the holidays just to catch up on how the episode was received, and maybe make any changes to 9x14 and later episodes shamy storyline, if they wanted to!
Idk if it's true , but it makes sense to me, so when i think about it , i think that they just wanted to do a 'Sheldon is sick' episode, and they needed to keep Amy away, so 'Amy avoids sick Sheldon' was just the most convenient way to explain her absence! I don't think there's much more to it...

Also idk if it's just me, but to me this episode doesn't give the 'Sheldon is still Sheldon' vibe! I mean , it does, but i don't think they were hammering home the idea of 'coitus hasn't changed him'. I think they just wanted to show him obsessing over something/being passionate about some idea - in this case, apologizing - and that he CAN change, he is normally condescending and arrogant, but sometimes something kind of switches in his brain, and he accepts an idea that used to be foreign to him, and he can accept it so much as to get to the point of fixating on it and obsessing about it. And i think with this episode we can (finally ) see his softer side not only towards Amy, and occasionally lenny, but towards his other friends as well.... So if anything, to me this episode is really positive, cause i think the writers are not afraid to show him change and grow...

PS i might be very wrong in my premise though, cause as i remember the TR was pretty vague!

• Like 8

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic