[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

29 minutes ago, hazelra7 said:

I think we can call out Amy on her behavior and still be 100% pro Amy. I know I am.  I long for the talk, but we have to imagine it behind the scenes, or at least hope.  

You put a lot of truth in here about Meemaw and the reaction of the audience.  The writers like to put the audience in the head of the Characters.  Penny was the non-nerd audience for while.  When Sheldon says, "cool your jets."  That's aimed at us fans for sure.  I heard it loud and clear.  When Meemaw says, you broke his heart.  How do I not know you will do it again, she has a point.  Does she want her family ring on the finger of woman who wont love her Moonpie unconditionally?  Meemaw found out it doesn't matter.  Sheldon is set on Amy.  He defended her to Meemaw without prompting, or long island Iced teas.  He looked her with love and knew she was going to get emotional.  

WHen I saw the taping, and Sheldon pulled out the kleenex to hand it to Amy knowing that she was going to get emotional over his voicing of his feelings, you know what I thought?  I thought... he's seen this before.  They had their talk, and he had to watch Amy cry and get emotional. THAT is my take away from the simple act of him pulling out a hidden tissue from his grandmother's sleeve.  

Now you know I am true die hard Shamy fan when I can pull all that out of a single throw away joke on a filler episode.  That's how we Shamys roll.  We see the love in the smallest of gestures and simplest of lines.  We see a couple who was meant for each other since the first glass of tepid water and every action, every line, every eye glance, or spank or kiss or cuddle feeds our belief that this couple is the ideal.  Bumps and troubles for sure (Season 9 first half), but meant for each other. 

Now excuse me while I poop Rainbows and have some brownies.  

Hilarious! I like the bold part, and I hope your observations are spot on.

The running joke since Shamy became a couple was that Sheldon was a flight risk, and that Amy had to do what she had to do to keep him around. For me, the tables turned during the breakup when Amy had enough. There's a part of me that believes SHE is the flight risk now, despite all the progress made since reconciliation. Will Sheldon piss her off again? Will he take one step forward and two steps back? That long drawn out separation had me on eggshells and I haven't quite purged all of that annoying insecurity about the relationship. Part of me still remembers how fast and easy the reconciliation came after aquarium. Sheldon and Amy both benefitted from circumstances they had no control over- Amy got her man back because HE had an epiphany and came running back. it could've ended with Sheldon staying in the friend zone and resisting Proton's inner voice. And Sheldon was fortunate that Amy hadn't moved on with someone else by the time he had his "Eureka!" moment...

I don't think Sheldon was ever the flight risk, he was "in" like you said early on. He just had so much growing to do though...Amy on the other hand, a lot of us could totally see her waving the white flag over the years and cuttin and runnin. There were hints of it here and there (dinner date, season 7, etc)...she finally did this season. 

Meemaw is just reminding us all of what happened. Yes, Sheldon is an "adult" and not a child, but cmon he is very much like a teen in the way he views the world and it shows in his behavior. Amy of all people knows that, and so does Meemaw. They just come at it from different places, one as a lover and one as a loving grandparent. They both have Sheldon's best interests at heart, and maybe the head to head in this episode has shown both of them that. Meemaw called Amy out on the breakup, doesn't want it happening again, and she will now sit back and see how things play out (like we fans will continue to do!).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Susana Alcira said:

About the ring... it seems to be an important heirloom in Sheldon´s maternal line, from mothers to daughters... so, why it isn´t in Missy´s finger????

I'm thinking because wedding rings are traditionally given from husband to wife. It makes sense that Meemaw would let Sheldon have it to pass on. If Missy had it she would have to hold onto it until a guy asked her to marry him, and then she would have to give HIM the ring to give her lol. Awkward.

ok, so i am somewhat spoiler-free for this episode (i've read the TR but it was pretty vague (and for the first time in my life i was happy about it:) and i avoided all sneak peaks ) and i'm just loviing watching their skype convos now for the first time!! (even if my live stream is stupidly slow today) I lovee Amy's reactions, her words and tone and whatnot, is it just me or is she extra adorable lately?

Also, finally they're (almost) all together in the same room!! It's been a while!

Edited by brilliantfool
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, April said:

His tiny bed is still amusing me more than it should.

Imagine Shamy attempting a sleepover in that. What is the worst that could happen? Maybe some accidental cuddling, a risk they're willing to take! And it starts out neatly enough with both of them lying next to each other, maybe holding hands. And then we get a montage of short clips of them struggling through the night in all sorts of hilarious sleeping positions, limbs sprawling out getting into each other's space, the bedsheets getting all tangled up, Amy is snoring, Sheldon is falling out - the whole shebang. Cut to next morning he's searching for a bigger bed. lmao

Oh man this would be a great episode! I wonder if Amy would advocate the purchase of a waterbed...do they even make those anymore??

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, hazelra7 said:

Sheldon says something about how I want you two to get along, because she's my girlfriend and I have to defend her.  SOmething like that. I wish I could remember the exact line.  Amy says thank you SHeldon, that means a lot to me. Sheldon rolls his eyes and says "Oh lord now she is going to get emotional again", reaches over to Meemaw's sleeve and pulls out a tissue and hands it to Amy.  Sheldon turns back to Meemaw and smiles.  Meemaw says, well... if that's what you want...I wont stand in your way.  Amy says... so... if he wanted to give me that ring... you wont mind.  She says... I guess not.  She pats Sheldon's shoulder like she almost did in the Best Buy scene.. You know... He turns back and says, "I just gave you my virginity... Cool your jets, woman."  Amy drops her hand but still smiles.

I hope that helped.  @jlove has a better taping report than my memory about it.  

Thank you!

That's kind of cute since we never really see Amy get emotional in front of Sheldon on screen.

Maybe Sheldon and Amy had "that" conversation we wanted after they got back together; Or, maybe they just watched a french movie together and Amy got all tearing up with Sheldon rolling his eyes but still handing her a tissue.

Sometimes it frustrates me that they put so much sweet stuff off screen. Perhaps because Amy is a supporting character.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, camelliayao said:

I know, right?

It's like the storyline where Penny doesn't remember Leonard's birthday. It's hurtful and ridiculous.

I really don't understand the writers sometimes. They worked so hard for years on these ships to make them loveable. Then they just threw in random lines/plots here and there to destroy their ships for some cheesy jokes. And the jokes are not even funny!

i knowwww. 
I don't even care for Lenny, but Penny not remembering his birthday made me feel hurt for Leonard, like seriously, you forget your husband's birthday?! That's too much i think.

14 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Sleep patterns disrupted here too ! I made it to bed at 6 am today, which is early compared with the last few days reading this ship.

It's possible Meemaw referred to her 'Moonpie' on some occasion on the phone and Amy partly remembered it so it could have rung a faint bell.

It's also possible Amy had an idea Sheldon would confide in his mother and his meemaw. Mary might have even phoned Amy to find out for herself how true it was that they had broken up. Just because Amy can't confide in her own mother doesn't mean she's not learned by now that other people talk to their own parents and grandparents. What Amy can't guess is the extent to which Sheldon appears to have lied. It seems as though Meemaw was led to believe Amy broke his heart. Heartbroken he was indeed, we saw some of that, but Sheldon obviously didn't tell Meemaw he did it to himself, that he was the one who forced the issue.

Now he's gone and been an even bigger swine by not warning Amy what he'd told Meemaw, instead leading Amy to believe she was finally going to meet this sweet old lady who would love her on sight. So he's prejudiced Meemaw and goodness-knows- who-else in his family against Amy. He really ought to put that right. However much they'll acknowledge the reconciliation she'll be 'that cow Sheldon's  married to' for the rest of her life if he doesn't do something towards acquainting the matriarch of that side of the family with his own responsibility for what happened to him.

i never thought about it but you're right! I do think Sheldon should have thought about it - how the break up is perceived by Meemaw - and do some damage control! But then again, Sheldon is so socially clueless, that it was expected he wouldn't think about it haha.

Yeah i think Amy could have known, but honestly i think the writers just don't overanalyze it like we do x D I mean i guess they thought the general audience won't notice that, so they went by with the story like it is for the sake of 'not all is good in shamy verse, they may be in love and over the moon, but it's not gonna be boring, there are gonna be obstacles' i guess that's what they're doing! 

hahaha totally the same about sleep : ) yesterday i ended up going to bed at 9am and today i'm hoping to do it by 5:30am which would be super progress!

• Like 1

What I loved:

Sheldon on his tummy, kicking his feet while talking to his girl. 

Amy gently but firmly walking Sheldon through Empathy 101

Sheldon's (mostly) sincere efforts to communicate his apologies and understand other people's feelings. 

What I didn't love:

Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive because of the drama in the discussion thread, but every line and every moment of the show apart from the opening tag revolved around Sheldon. I like it best when there are at least a couple of storylines going. 

I understand the thought behind this episode. The writers get to simultaneously show that Sheldon is still Sheldon (again) and show his character growth at the same time. That having been said, the heavy-handedness of the "Sheldon is a huge pain in the ass and we all just tolerate him" trope got to me after awhile. And I know they really love him, and I know he's not always such a pain, but it still wore thin. 

My brother, who is a very casual Big Bang "fan" (probably couldn't even name all the characters), even said at one point, "Oh I didn't know they all hated him."

I give it a solid C. Looking forward to next week :)

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Gbb said:

What I loved:

Sheldon on his tummy, kicking his feet while talking to his girl. 

Amy gently but firmly walking Sheldon through Empathy 101

Sheldon's (mostly) sincere efforts to communicate his apologies and understand other people's feelings. 

What I didn't love:

Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive because of the drama in the discussion thread, but every line and every moment of the show apart from the opening tag revolved around Sheldon. I like it best when there are at least a couple of storylines going. 

I understand the thought behind this episode. The writers get to simultaneously show that Sheldon is still Sheldon (again) and show his character growth at the same time. That having been said, the heavy-handedness of the "Sheldon is a huge pain in the ass and we all just tolerate him" trope got to me after awhile. And I know they really love him, and I know he's not always such a pain, but it still wore thin. 

My brother, who is a very casual Big Bang "fan" (probably couldn't even name all the characters), even said at one point, "Oh I didn't know they all hated him."

I give it a solid C. Looking forward to next week :)

What you said (in bold).

2 hours ago, hazelra7 said:

I think we can call out Amy on her behavior and still be 100% pro Amy. I know I am.  I long for the talk, but we have to imagine it behind the scenes, or at least hope.  

You put a lot of truth in here about Meemaw and the reaction of the audience.  The writers like to put the audience in the head of the Characters.  Penny was the non-nerd audience for while.  When Sheldon says, "cool your jets."  That's aimed at us fans for sure.  I heard it loud and clear.  When Meemaw says, you broke his heart.  How do I not know you will do it again, she has a point.  Does she want her family ring on the finger of woman who wont love her Moonpie unconditionally?  Meemaw found out it doesn't matter.  Sheldon is set on Amy.  He defended her to Meemaw without prompting, or long island Iced teas.  He looked her with love and knew she was going to get emotional.  

WHen I saw the taping, and Sheldon pulled out the kleenex to hand it to Amy knowing that she was going to get emotional over his voicing of his feelings, you know what I thought?  I thought... he's seen this before.  They had their talk, and he had to watch Amy cry and get emotional. THAT is my take away from the simple act of him pulling out a hidden tissue from his grandmother's sleeve.  

Now you know I am true die hard Shamy fan when I can pull all that out of a single throw away joke on a filler episode.  That's how we Shamys roll.  We see the love in the smallest of gestures and simplest of lines.  We see a couple who was meant for each other since the first glass of tepid water and every action, every line, every eye glance, or spank or kiss or cuddle feeds our belief that this couple is the ideal.  Bumps and troubles for sure (Season 9 first half), but meant for each other. 

Now excuse me while I poop Rainbows and have some brownies.  

Feels galore ♡♡♡♡♡♡

• Like 7

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic