The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

So excited that the cast is going do a panel at Paleyfest this year.  Hopefully we'll get some more great Shamy stories and gossip out of the event. :danced:

Going to have to put my daughter to work on finding me a live stream.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Susana Alcira said:

When is the Paley Fest? Thank you!

ETA: I thought you asked what, not when.  Re: the when, schedule is shown below.

Annual event.  9 days of presentations hosted by the Paley Center for Media.  Each day has a panel presentation and Q&A focused on a different TV program.  The cast plus Chuck, Bill and Steve will be there. TBBT has not participated since 2013.  There are videos from that event on You Tube.

The 2016 schedule:

Friday, March 11: Empire (7:30)
Saturday, March 12: Scream Queens (7 pm)
Sunday, March 13: black-ish (2 pm)
Sunday, March 13: Supergirl (7 pm)
Wednesday, March 16: The Big Bang Theory (7:30 pm)
Saturday, March 19: Fear the Walking Dead (2 pm)
Saturday, March 19: Salute to Dick Wolf (7 pm)
Sunday, March 20: Power (2 pm)
Sunday, March 20: American Horror Story: Hotel (7 pm)

Bill, Mayim and Jim at the 2013 event.

the_paley_center_the_big_bang_theory_at_

www.metacafe.com

Edited by vonmar
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, 2L344 said:

The problem with how the breakup was portrayed, and you touch on it here, is that there were a lot of holes in the plot that were either not filled in on purpose or the limitations of a 20 minute ensemble sitcom prevented them from being filled. The writers couldn't make it 9 episodes of the Shamy show, though I'm sure Lenny shippers would disagree lol. I think we both agree that Amy's side wasn't explored and this was mostly the "Sheldon show" as far as perspectives go. This contributed to the off-putting, cold, distant, dispassionate (ad nausuem) way in which Amy came through for some of us. 

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on our assessment of Penny when it comes to her behavior in this. You make the case that Penny thought it was in Amy's best interest to move on. I might accept that, as most people would have never put up with Sheldon's nonsense for that amount of time, but this IS Amy. She stood by him for five years. Penny would be making some assumptions by believing Amy is better off. It turns out that Amy DIDN'T think she was better off in the end, as the aquarium episode reveals. And like you mentioned, advice was doled out to Amy by Penny and Bernie so we can assume they talked over glasses of wine. If that was the case then the ladies must have been aware on some level what it was that Amy was going through. Certainly, Amy would have mentioned her frustration at Sheldon's seeming lack of commitment to her as a gf. If Penny truly had Amy's best interests at heart, then supplying her with the information about the ring would be in keeping  with the "best interest" mantra even if presumptious Penny thinks she knows what's good for Amy in the end. Withholding that info, as a "friend", in my opinion makes Penny just as meddlesome in Amy's affairs as telling her would be...

Sheldon is clueless about a lot of things, but what I like about him is there are times when he "gets it" when it comes to his friends (I know folks will cry foul at this and point out all the times Sheldon is a butthead to his friends lol). When he learns from Amy that Penny was contemplating leaving Leonard, does he just shrug his shoulders and say "oh well, Penny isn't right for Leonard anyway so be it"? No, he agonizes over the info and eventually breaks into Penny's apartment to try and convince her to see the good things Leonard brings to the table, in addition to having her switch shampoos back lol...he ultimately asks her not to hurt his friend. I already used this as another example, but Sheldon agonizes over what he believes is Penny having an affair while Leonard is away. He eventually bursts in on Penny using his spare key in order to confirm his suspicions. I'm sure that had he interrupted a date, he would surely have shared this with Leonard. To me, Sheldon's behavior is more in keeping with how friends who give a damn behave....ironic as that is...

I guess I would like friends, especially close friends, that care for one another act as if they DO. The characters in TBBT were shown in the first 9 episodes as somewhat blaise' about it all. They kind of shrug their collective shoulders and act as if it was destined to be what it was. Sheldon is pretty much abandoned by the group, whereas the gals rally behind Amy and encourage the dating scene (though Bernie does make half-hearted attempts to get Amy to think now and then). When Penny and Leonard learn of the ring, I thought just maybe now someone would give Sheldon a break and talk with Amy about it, if for no other reason, to make sure Amy is truly finished with the relationship. I would expect that of a friend. Just like I would expect a friend, who sees the wife of a friend making out with another guy in a darkened theater, share this info to the buddy. Because it's important and would impact that friend. I really don't think I would be very forgiving of a friend who chose to withhold this kind of info from me.

Penny gets a pass on keeping the secret because in the end, Shamy reunites and grows from the breakup without the ring playing a part. This, however, had nothing to do with Penny and anything she did or didn't do. The story was told in a way that has our happy couple reaching different levels of understanding about who they were and what they wanted in life. Penny gets to breathe a sigh of relief like we all do, but she can't take any credit for the reconciliation because she happened to show restraint in keeping the secret. Had this played out in real life, and had the couple remained miserable outside of each other's company because the story ended differently, I believe Penny would have a difficult time convincing Amy that she was a good friend for remaining silent about that bit of info. I'm thinking  "It was for your own good" would be carved into Penny's tombstone lol....

I think I mostly agree with this... tbh I am still really on the fence about my feelings towards how the rest of the group acted toward Amy and Sheldon during the breakup, and I wonder if ultimately their kinda inconsistent and seemingly uncaring behavior will make more sense as Shamy continues to improve. But your post makes me wonder - and sorry if you mentioned this somewhere and I missed it! - how do you feel about Bernadette keeping from Penny that she knew about Leonard's boat kiss for 2 years? Because it doesn't seem like that's gonna come up again, but it's interesting how much TPTB seem to be pointing out that Penny was keeping Sheldon's secret. 

Edited by FortCozyMcBlanket
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, vonmar said:

ETA: I thought you asked what, not when.  Re: the when, schedule is shown below.

Annual event.  9 days of presentations hosted by the Paley Center for Media.  Each day has a panel presentation and Q&A focused on a different TV program.  The cast plus Chuck, Bill and Steve will be there. TBBT has not participated since 2013.  There are videos from that event on You Tube.

The 2016 schedule:

Friday, March 11: Empire (7:30)
Saturday, March 12: Scream Queens (7 pm)
Sunday, March 13: black-ish (2 pm)
Sunday, March 13: Supergirl (7 pm)
Wednesday, March 16: The Big Bang Theory (7:30 pm)
Saturday, March 19: Fear the Walking Dead (2 pm)
Saturday, March 19: Salute to Dick Wolf (7 pm)
Sunday, March 20: Power (2 pm)
Sunday, March 20: American Horror Story: Hotel (7 pm)

Bill, Mayim and Jim at the 2013 event.

the_paley_center_the_big_bang_theory_at_

www.metacafe.com

Scream Queens, AHS, Big Bang...cool. But this time is in which of the USA time zones?

8 minutes ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Scream Queens, AHS, Big Bang...cool. But this time is in which of the USA time zones?

Wednesday, March 16: The Big Bang Theory (7:30 pm)  Pacific Time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desdemona said:

Ok, I must admit the last option is really fanfiction, since I´ve never seen him carrying something on his own. Except that tiny hamper with soaps and lotions for Penny. 44.gif

But an overnight stay at 4a in Sheldon´s bed could be possible one day, after he had slept in Amy´s bed.  He got used to a lot of things, he never thought that could be possible. He even got used to kiss her after he´s kissed her once. Who knows maybe he liked to cuddle with his little lump of wool, that he agrees to do again? He seemed ok, when he heard that Amy  hid her belongings all over his place. So I guess he could be ok, to leave at least a little corner in his drawer for her.

It won´t happen that soon, I know but a girl can dream. liebe040.gif

But I can see it as another baby step for our Shamy to get used Sheldon to live together with Amy one day.

A girl can certainly dream!

2 hours ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I think I mostly agree with this... tbh I am still really on the fence about my feelings towards how the rest of the group acted toward Amy and Sheldon during the breakup, and I wonder if ultimately their kinda inconsistent and seemingly uncaring behavior will make more sense as Shamy continues to improve. But your post makes me wonder - and sorry if you mentioned this somewhere and I missed it! - how do you feel about Bernadette keeping from Penny that she knew about Leonard's boat kiss for 2 years? Because it doesn't seem like that's gonna come up again, but it's interesting how much TPTB seem to be pointing out that Penny was keeping Sheldon's secret. 

Yeah its horrible that she was put in that position to keep the secret. Like my posts suggest, I think if the friendship is real then theres a certain obligation that goes with that. Personally I dont like being obligated to keep a secret and almost never agree to those preemptive requests by folks I know. Im more like Sheldon when it comes to that, its just unsettling for me. 

But to me the real issue is whether a person should feel morally obligated to tell a friend that their significant other may be having an affair. I say yes. The sticky part of Bernie's situation however is that the significant other is the one who outs himself. And he regrets his behavior, and it was a drunken kiss not an affair. Moreover, as far as Bernie knows, Leonard never repeated his mistake...

Ultimately though, I would have to say Bernie should have tried to convince Leonard to confess it to Penny himself. Im sure that if Bernie wasnt close to Leonard and Penny was in a relationship with some other guy, she wouldnt have a problem ratting the guy out to Penny.

Friends are supposed to have each other's back, and I think that includes matters of the heart. Ultimately, if Bernie had told Penny what she learned, Penny would be the judge of how important it was. Bernie's guilt during the episode where she pretends that she just learned about that kiss is evidence that she knew she broke a confidence in her friendship with Penny by essentially siding with Leonard by keeping his secret. 

I think its wrong that Bernie kept a secret like that from Penny, and I think the same about Penny regarding the Sheldon ring. 

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I just had a thought.... what if Shamy is engaged by Paley Fest?! :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Interesting...elaborate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ranger Rosa said:

Interesting...elaborate it.

there would be so many Shamy questions! so not only would Paley fest be after coitus but after they're engaged! and we can find out how they came up with the proposal :) 

2 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Bernadette is Pregnant. Maybe Sheldon and Amy will babysit? 

Sheldon babysitting..... oh that will be fun.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, EvilStewie said:

I have to see how this plays out! I thought I read that Amy said I don't need her ring when Meemaw was telling Sheldon to tell Amy she would never get the ring, and he couldn't. That is sweet, but depending on the "I guess" ..We'll see how I feel! By Amy saying that alone to me proves the Amy willing to wear those dresses and this Amy now different Amy's. 

Yeah, I think she said something like "If he does want to propose to me we don't need your hand-me-down ring!"  Before you judge Amy too harshly for that remember Meemaw has just told Sheldin to tell Amy "that that ring will never be on her finger!"

But also remember at the end Amy specifically asks Meemaw if they would have her blessing if he wanted to give her THAT ring, so she is at least interested in it..not put off thinking it 'tainted'

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kazzie said:

Play back tonight. The line was "Who said I even want to be engaged to him and if I do I don't need your hand me downs!."

Thanks for the clarification you amazing and very lucky woman :)

Edited by teletalk101
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

If I remembered correctly, they took away the "and you never cared enough to ask" line from 914, which made me very happy. Or maybe I just misheard...

Tonight's episode is overall quite funny. Sheldon's lines in the tag scene is very touching. It's amazing that he would find the break up necessary (or something like that, they only played the tag scene for one time) after all the horrible things he's been through. And he finds their relationship is stronger because of the break up. He tells Amy in person that he understands now how important Amy is to him. That's also impressive.

What I don't like about tonight's episode is that first, obviously the writers blame Amy for the break up because they keep bringing it up... Secondly, what's weird is that they never made Amy apologize to Sheldon. Especially in tonight's tag scene, when Sheldon admits that he was heartbroken because of the break up, I think any normal girlfriend would feel guilty and say something like " I didn't mean to break your heart, I'm sorry", but no. Amy never officially apologizes to Sheldon. 

Thanks so much  for the info - did I miss somewhere the episode info ?? I've been in and out of here all morning - I'm sneaking on here at work !!!!!

Hope you had a blast at the taping !! :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

If I remembered correctly, they took away the "and you never cared enough to ask" line from 914, which made me very happy. Or maybe I just misheard...

Tonight's episode is overall quite funny. Sheldon's lines in the tag scene is very touching. It's amazing that he would find the break up necessary (or something like that, they only played the tag scene for one time) is after all the horrible things he's been through. And he finds their relationship is stronger because of the break up. He tells Amy in person that he understands now how important Amy is to him. That's also impressive.

What I don't like about tonight's episode is that first, obviously the writers blame Amy for the break up because they keep bringing it up... Secondly, what's weird is that they never made Amy apologize to Sheldon. Especially in tonight's tag scene, when Sheldon admits that he was heartbroken because of the break up, I think any normal girlfriend would feel guilty and say something like " I didn't mean to break your heart, I'm sorry.", but no. Amy never officially apologizes to Sheldon. 

This is all from the taping tonight and not the playback from last week?  What brought on this conversation?

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Tonight's episode is overall quite funny. Sheldon's lines in the tag scene is very touching. It's amazing that he would find the break up necessary (or something like that, they only played the tag scene for one time) after all the horrible things he's been through. And he finds their relationship is stronger because of the break up. He tells Amy in person that he understands now how important Amy is to him. That's also impressive.

What I don't like about tonight's episode is that first, obviously the writers blame Amy for the break up because they keep bringing it up... Secondly, what's weird is that they never made Amy apologize to Sheldon. Especially in tonight's tag scene, when Sheldon admits that he was heartbroken because of the break up, I think any normal girlfriend would feel guilty and say something like " I didn't mean to break your heart, I'm sorry", but no. Amy never officially apologizes to Sheldon. 

It's really sweet, I love it! Just a thought...I agree with you that, since they showed us plenty of  heartbroken Sheldon and just few glimpses of heartbroken Amy,  it subtly expresses the fact that the "blame" for the break up is on her. But an explicit apology  by Amy wouldn't be too much? Would it really and explicitly put the blame on her? All things considered, they both did wrong things, but they both grew thanks to those things and now even Sheldon acknowledges the pain was necessary, I like all of that!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Soopysue said:

Thanks so much  for the info - did I miss somewhere the episode info ?? I've been in and out of here all morning - I'm sneaking on here at work !!!!!

Hope you had a blast at the taping !! :) 

I miss it too. Thank you Camelliayao and Kazzie for these news.

Can you tell more about the FWF and shamy ? And what about Kripke ?
Edited by CentralPerk
  • Like 2