[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

5 hours ago, kerrycec03 said:

Ok...waiting on more clarification but after reading Hazel's detailed report (kudos) anybody else thinking the "lets do it again" wording whatever it might be after they cheers to FWF was entailing something else...hmmmmm....and then Lenny interrupted them (which Maddie pointed out and I agree will be a common theme for the remainder of the season---aka Sheldon wanting Lenny gone soon)......

This! This is what's been on my brain all day!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenafan said:

I never said Amy should just accept things that she does not like in her relationship and carry on regardless.   In fact, I got into a debate on the DT thread a couple weeks ago about how Sheldon mistreated Amy in the past which led to some refuting my posts by saying I was being unfair to pre-break up Sheldon.   Now I am defending Sheldon's position by stating that I want to see Amy be less critical of Sheldon because she took him back status quo and because he's trying, even it wasn't his first choice.  Now I am being unfair to Amy?

You literally said:

"I'm not saying she should enable him, but if he's going to call you and tell you he decided to spend SW day with you, don't question it.   Be happy!"

She was not happy that he had considered not spending her birthday with her - she called him on it. You suggested that she should just be happy with that, that is what I responded to :)

The point about Amy questioning Sheldon about not initially wanting to spend her birthday with her was a deliberate provoke at Sheldon.   Why?  It was a moot point because Sheldon had already told her he was going to spend her birthday with her.    He chose to do the right thing.    My point is that she should be happy with that instead of provoking a response because of his default setting.   Sheldon was wise to catch on and end the discussion, but why did Amy have to go there in the first place?

She went there because the idea of Sheldon, once again not making her a priority in his life does not make her happy. The only way "Sheldon's default setting" changes is if the people around him tell him when he goes wrong. Over the years he has learnt a lot of the 'social conventions' and the only way he is gonna learn 'relationship conventions' is by being taught. She has been learning his very specific set of rules like him not being able to bathe in a claw foot bath tub and he is learning hers too.

Okay, on the last line, I don't understand about my not complaining when other people are having their opinions questioned.   I try not to complain about other peoples' opinions, but I will defend them.   I've had some pretty solid arguments in the DT thread recently defending others.   I'm defending the view points of those who share my own.   I'm humble enough to admit when my viewpoint has changed due to the arguments of another poster and usually give credit to the ones who changed my view.  

Yes you do and you know that myself and others respect you for that.

I agree that a discussion is all about counter points.    The counter points are not the issue.  It's the way the counter points address a poster.  Not once in my post did I say I felt like I was being personally attacked.   However, it seems because I've felt that way in the past, that seems to be the default reaction I get from others whenever I attempt to defend my posts and make a point.

Here is what you said:

Because I state an unpopular opinion, I get singled out with a lashing.  I don't see the same demand being made to those that state comments that the majority agree to.   I find that very interesting.

You refer to yourself as having been singled out for a 'lashing' that seems like you are indeed suggesting that people are attacking you.

By using the word 'majority' about being 'singled out' further suggests that all of the people disagreeing with you are attacking you. I take umbrage with this because I have been nothing but respectful towards you in all of our discussions, even when we have disagreed.

However, it can be said that remarks directed to a specific poster such as you are reading too much into things, you need to rewatch the show, you are taking this as a personal attack, etc can be perceived as aggressive and personal.  

So much so, that I woke up this morning to several PMs from other forum members who were empathetic for the way others responded to my post when they thought I was nothing but respectful in defending my view.

So you are saying that you do feel personally attacked yes? I suspect that you are referencing specific posts and or posters with this comment, if so - report them! If you feel that this has happened then take it to the mods. The posters PM'ing their support for you over these attacks can also report posts to the mods, if you see something - say something peeps! 

I agree that Shamy seem to be in a good place right now, and I want that to continue.   I'm just not convinced everything is as copacetic on Amy's side as I'd like it to be and need more time to see it play out.   I respect the positivity of the other posters and do take them to heart, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to share my concerns with others who feel the same way I do, unpopular as it is.

That's fine, you'll keep posting your concerns and people who don'ts see your concerns as valid because of 'in show example X' will keep responding, you will respond with 'in show example Y' 

The conversation will be interesting to people who had forgotten about X and Y or had not considered either of those things to be important at the time and we all get to experience an alternative perspective! :) 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

The Press Release for 9.14 'The Meemaw Materialization' is up in the Production Journal.

So close, yet so far. I know this will probably end well eventually, but it would be so nice for Amy to have a maternal figure. Either way, I am rather excited to see how the conversations with Sheldon and Amy play out on screen versus in text. Those dorks take non-verbal conversations and cues to another level. 

(Does her mother know about the breakup? Did she even believe they were dating? Would she believe they're dating now? How would Mary react to hearing about how Sheldon met Amy's mother?)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, April said:

In addition to joyceraye's post:

This is exactly why I don't think the show wants us to believe that Amy is to blame here, and I've said this many a time in our discussions during the first half of the season. The writers made some serious effort to sell this breakup by constructing a series of events that gives us a believable reason why Amy would snap and break up with Sheldon. His behaviour and comments have been a lot more hurtful and purposeful than usual during those early episodes. I am convinced that the show wanted us to side with Amy on that one. And yes, we saw Sheldon suffering more than her in the aftermath and growing up a bit in the meanwhile, but again I think that this is rather a result of him being a main character vs. her being a supporting character. I do think we saw a lot of struggling on her side of things though. To me she was trying to get a bit of a distance to him and even her friends, but I never saw her as unemotional or whatever. She looked hurt and conflicted and lost, unsure of what to do. Then she gets terrible advice from her friends, has to hear from Sheldon how he's trying to move on and eventually thinks that maybe that's what she needs, too. I don't think she would/should have known better. I can't help but feel for her during all of this.

With regards to the other discussion about how Amy didn't defend herself against Mee-Maw by pointing out she loves Sheldon, I think that is exactly the point in that the breakup was never about a lack of love on her part. Even in those early days during the breakup she was trying to be patient with him and reason with him, all the while still taking his calls and listening to him even though he wasn't showing the slightest interest in making any attempt at understanding her side of things. That must have hurt her a lot but I have no doubt that she still very much loved him during that time. However, ultimately the breakup was about two things: 1) Sheldon's inability to truly appreciate their relationship on every level (he was getting there with the ring and everything, but he didn't know what he got til it was gone, as the song goes) and 2) Amy's inability to balance her expectations with the reality of their relationship which led to her being exhausted by the resulting conflicts and maybe even led some doubts about his feelings and intentions. In result she felt like she was putting a lot of work into this relationship without getting much in return. So now after they've reconciled #1 is sorted out with Sheldon going out of his way to make this work and reassure her on every opportunity that he's all in. But there are still moments (and there will probably always be) when he messes up and that's what Amy's spat with Mee-Maw was all about. Sometimes love is not enough and if Amy wants to stick with Sheldon for better or for worse (like Mee-Maw did with Pop-Pop) she needs to be resilient and willing to continue working with him on this. Relationships can be hard work, as unromantic as it may sound, but that doesn't mean that they can't be rewarding. In their own way both Amy and Sheldon had to learn to find a balance here.

THIS! THiS! THIS! All of this is exactly my take on the whole situation between Meemaw and Amy...... Wonderfully expressed as always April!  I can't wait to see this episode. 

Is it just me or do Amy and Meemaw seem to have more in common than just their fashion sense....lol...that old saying that your marry someone like your mother (or grandmother in this case) come to mind...

14 minutes ago, CuriousMeans said:

So close, yet so far. I know this will probably end well eventually, but it would be so nice for Amy to have a maternal figure. Either way, I am rather excited to see how the conversations with Sheldon and Amy play out on screen versus in text. Those dorks take non-verbal conversations and cues to another level. 

(Does her mother know about the breakup? Did she even believe they were dating? Would she believe they're dating now? How would Mary react to hearing about how Sheldon met Amy's mother?)

Amy's mother knows about the break up, Amy told her in 9.3...well actually not Amy, she was supposed to give her the sad news in a phone call, but she couldn't make it and Penny spilled the beans. I bet Amy told her they reconciled as soon as Sheldon left her apartment, the woman was pretty upset with her daughter for the break up, she even made Penny close her in a closet as a punishment!!! As a matter of fact, an episode in which Sheldon interacts with her should be really hilarious, now that he can brag about their sexual encounter(s) for real! it was never made it clear in the show if they ever met in person, even if it sounds reasonable, since she lives in the neighborhood. I'm wondering what kind of son-in-law Sheldon might be, LOL!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

this post makes me so giddy!!! I just gotta tell ya, @Einstein Von Brainstorm:

image.gif.78bd06900fb91174b7e02641e283ef

oh and I love the part where you mentioned "they're moving forward together" because in that scene they are literally moving forward into each other to kiss!! <3

so for any of you who worry about our Shamy loves, come back to this post whenever you need to and remember this isn't even speculation, these things are FACTS! this is Shamy gospel!! HALLELUJAH! :yahoo:

tumblr_nz6dtka42i1sp0cpeo4_250.gif.a0da9 ... I think we should see other people though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Amy's mother knows about the break up, Amy told her in 9.3...well actually not Amy, she was supposed to give her the sad news in a phone call, but she couldn't make it and Penny spilled the beans. I bet Amy told her they reconciled as soon as Sheldon left her apartment, the woman was pretty upset with her daughter for the break up, she even made Penny close her in a closet as a punishment!!! As a matter of fact, an episode in which Sheldon interacts with her should be really hilarious, now that he can brag about their sexual encounter(s) for real! it was never made it clear in the show if they ever met in person, even if it sounds reasonable, since she lives in the neighborhood. I'm wondering what kind of son-in-law Sheldon might be, LOL!

Wow, I blocked that out. Thanks.

And now I want to shove maternal figures at Amy even more. . .

58 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I almost forgot to say: YAY FOR THE RETURN OF FUN WITH FLAGS! (goes back to designing the Cooper-Fowler Insignia. Something about a brain with a lightning symbol on it. I'll workshop it.)

And to everybody asking 'Why the negativity?', I can only say: negativity is what gets me out of bed, my dears. I'm happy to analyse a thing that I love (which I did at some length when I first read the TR for The Opening Night Excitation), but I freely admit that there's a particular dopamine high about ripping something you hate a new orifice. TBBT is special to me, because it strikes that precise balance between good enough to remain interested, and bad enough (or rather, inconsistent enough) for me to smite my forehead and keyboard. If I found TBBT relentlessly crap, I'd stop watching. If it were consistently finely-tuned and recherche and amazing, I'd only occasionally go online to comment on the, I don't know, glancing reference to TS Eliot that I managed to spot in the dialogue that time that the world-weary insurance salesman found a violet peeping out of the dead snow on his way to his suburban home and his life of quiet desperation.

But, because TBBT manages to exhibit such frequent freshness and heart and wit, and yet to also frequently be such a hot mess (in my eyes)- ah, y'all are stuck with me, I'm afraid.

"Negativity". I'm disliking that label more and more these days...it's a perception based solely on what side of the fence the poster stands on the given topic. I wish folks would stop using that label the way they do! What I see, when I read the posts here, are interesting and generally reasonable discussions among a fan base who collectively enjoy a great show! This forum is the "water cooler" at the office so to speak. I don't want everyone agreeing on a topic, anymore than I want the world filled with "yes" men/women. I like the fact that a fan base that loves the show (and on this thread in particular love the Shamy characters) can see plots and analyze minutia in a different way. Yes it's great when people agree with your posts, but I'm also intrigued when a well thought out counterpoint is presented opposing a view too. I have learned a lot from those and some of those posts have convinced me to re-think things once I've let it hang around in my head a bit!

I hope this trend of labeling each other's views ends. We can all agree to disagree yet still respect the opinions and musings of one another without characterizing them as being "negative". It's not negative, just contrary to what you might think...and that's okay!

Glad you're around on here Wow, and your postings are not only articulate but so damned funny! Had to look up "recherché" though, it was a a little high brow for me ....gonna have to find a way of working that word in sometime!

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

"Negativity". I'm disliking that label more and more these days...it's a perception based solely on what side of the fence the poster stands on the given topic. I wish folks would stop using that label the way they do! What I see, when I read the posts here, are interesting and generally reasonable discussions among a fan base who collectively enjoy a great show! This forum is the "water cooler" at the office so to speak. I don't want everyone agreeing on a topic, anymore than I want the world filled with "yes" men/women. I like the fact that a fan base that loves the show (and on this thread in particular love the Shamy characters) can see plots and analyze minutia in a different way. Yes it's great when people agree with your posts, but I'm also intrigued when a well thought out counterpoint is presented opposing a view too. I have learned a lot from those and some of those posts have convinced me to re-think things once I've let it hang around in my head a bit!

I hope this trend of labeling each other's views ends. We can all agree to disagree yet still respect the opinions and musings of one another without characterizing them as being "negative". It's not negative, just contrary to what you might think...and that's okay!

Glad you're around on here Wow, and your postings are not only articulate but so damned funny! Had to look up "recherché" though, it was a a little high brow for me ....gonna have to find a way of working that word in sometime!

Thank you for this.   I can't express it enough.     You just don't know.

I couldn't agree more.   If everyone on here shared the same views, there would be little left to discuss.   I've learned a lot from other posters on this forum, including those who have opposed me.    Sometimes it's seeing things from a different perspective.   Sometimes it's new vocabulary.   Sometimes I gain self-confidence by being able to defend my own viewpoints and see others who share them.   Sometimes I feel like I'm in the midst of a Shamy party when we are celebrating a Shamy moment or milestone.   Sometimes I feel like I'm in a support group for my Shamy concerns.   Sometimes I feel like I am in the midst of an all out Shamy war of opposing sides.   

We have it all here, but it is certainly never boring.   It would be if we were all the same in thought and expression.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

lol I thought Amy's mom was pissed at Amy for baking the penis cakes and "making" the gals eat them. Im not sure how her Mom takes Sheldon news these days. That hilarious Skype session that Sheldon ends with "its time to make love to your daughter's vagina" and mom's screech as he closes the laptop, classic! Im curious if her mother is happy with anyone that takes her daughter out, or was she secretly hoping for Amy to find a "nice" boy after the break up.

• Like 3

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic