Jump to content

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • April

    1081

  • A Shamy gal

    1037

  • jenafan

    1018

  • Amy Fowler

    969

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning peeps! Let me clear up and give a more in depth shamy reportings!   There were 2 takes of the second kiss... As they finish kissing the first time round. They break apart. Sheld

Ok fellow Shamies, I typed up this report on the plane home just now. I've just landed and have another hour or so until I'll be home, but I thought I'd post this at least for you all real quick.  Sor

Oh...I thought someone has already posted a TR? No? Ok. First of all, English is not my first language, so I may have misunderstood a lot of the lines. Please forgive me if the episode turns out

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Heh. Well, for the bolded bit: Not for nothing, but for a body of work which may or may not have included the episode which she submitted for awards consideration. It's like with the Academy Awards: don't we hear that you seldom get the prize for the precise film in the precise ear that you won it, but because the Academy is generally rewarding you for a body of work that it thinks to be deserving?

I don't know if they'd be submitting a specific episode for the CCA (I know they do for the Emmys) - but for this award only her S9 work in 2015 would be eligible. Idk when the voting was closed but the nominations were announced on Dec. 14th. Hence my snide remark that she was getting it for apparently doing nothing because no matter if they were judging all episodes or just one - it would have been from those dreadful episodes in which Amy was just background decoration! Man, she should play emotionless marionettes all the time!! The critics seem to love that!

Ughh, I'm really sorry, I don't want to be so bitchy, but good lord, this has become kinda "nails on a chalkboard" for me. I don't even want to go into detail about the other things you bring up because we look at those things from such fundamentally different sides when it comes to the breakup related issues of those two beloved dorks that I fear I won't be able to drink enough calming tea to get me through that. (Funny that, because we often agree on other things - it's just this gd breakup that's tearing us apart! lol)
 

15 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

I'm also trying to make 'Meemawdusa' happen.

.....It's not going well.

Gorgon!Meemaw is just too catchy. lmao

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, April said:

 

Ughh, I'm really sorry, I don't want to be so bitchy, but good lord, this has become kinda "nails on a chalkboard" for me. I don't even want to go into detail about the other things you bring up because we look at those things from such fundamentally different sides when it comes to the breakup related issues of those two beloved dorks that I fear I won't be able to drink enough calming tea to get me through that. (Funny that, because we often agree on other things - it's just this gd breakup that's tearing us apart! lol)

Hee! Nae bother, girl. We just disagree on this one thing. They can't take Herb Garden away from us....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Started from the bottom now we're here!

56a5a49eda564_startedfromthebottom.thumb

 

 

Good God, this picture. Looking at it sends chills down my spine. Just look at how far they've come! Can anyone else remember seeing them in the coffee shop and wondering what kind of journey these two would be on? I sure do.

I'm still all for the idea of Sheldon proposing at the coffee shop (during their break up I had it stuck in my head that the girls would set Amy up on a "blind date" and the guys would set Sheldon up on a "blind date" at that coffee shop, but it would turn out to be each other. I'm happy they worked things out on their own, though).

So does anyone have any thoughts on where the proposal will take place? I am so excited for this proposal that I wanna hear everyone's scenarios. :wub: I've been obsessed with the idea of Sheldon down on one knee and popping that question ever since I saw the finale taping.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

April sing it girl!!  Couldn't agree more.

45 minutes ago, Radar said:

April, you're right. No need to feel guilty or justify ourselves for being happy. :good: Thank you!

TBBTmadeofsugar.gif.bd9543108ea66698f092

1 hour ago, lpm said:

Yes, yes and Yes.  Did I say yes?  Thank you, April for a wonderful post.  I have been lurking here for the last couple of days because I couldn't stand how bitchy you Shamy shippers have become about the reconciliation, about Amy.  Like April, I wonder if some of you are watching the same show.  Sure, we can all have our opinions and gripes but really.... Your gripes seem to range from we haven't seen Amy's side or she has gone back to being somber Amy-- wtf?  I always felt her side was there, even from previous seasons (especially 8  -- imo, things were not hunky dory then). Or you are ripping taping reports apart, picking on lines that were written (but you haven't seen them acted out or listened to how they are delivered).  You are beginning to ruin the show for me!!  So I am out of here and I am going to go back to being the casual viewer who is oblivious to what is going to happen next.  Have a good life people!

TBBTShamyhughowsthat.thumb.gif.872f11699

It'd be a pity to see you go (or anyone else for that matter) because of the negativity. Though I'd be lying if I'd say it's the first time I'm seeing something like that. I've had people come to my inbox like "April, please talk some sense into me, the people in the threads have gone crazy!" Not that I'm not willing to offer free shipper counselling for anyone who needs a pep talk - but jeez guys, can you please tone it down a bit before this thread becomes some sort of circle of hell? lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

Here is my (bound to be) very unpopular opinion.  Let me preface by saying that I am a Shamy fan.  I had always thought Sheldon and Amy were two pieces of a puzzle.  They clicked.  They understood each other when others didn't. 

I think that Sheldon and Amy needed this break, to make clear to themselves what they really desire and to hopefully start fresh with each other in a way. I don't put blame on the break solely on one party or another, they both had issues they needed to think about and work on.

But I hate how everyone seems to "hate" Sheldon.  He's the annoying child that everyone has to put up with.  And that includes Amy.  It used to not include Amy, but clearly she is one of the cool kids now, and she is firmly in their camp.  His friends find him tiresome and annoying.  They do everything to avoid hanging out with him.  During the break up, everyone put the blame solely on him.  All his friends basically told him "well Amy deserves to be happy, and you just made her miserable".  Amy didn't seem all that sad, just annoyed with Sheldon pestering her throughout their breakup.  To me, it feels Amy was like, let me check if the grass is really greener on the other side. (yes...I've heard all the arguments about Sheldon trying to date first...frankly him asking two ladies out while drunk and extremely half assedly doesn't hold water to me). 

Who knows what Amy was thinking.  Her story wasn't told.  But to say "I'm ready to be your girlfriend again?"  Ugh.  Just so much ugh.  Like he was just sitting by the phone waiting for her.  It feels like she was allowing him the honor of dating her again.  I'm glad he said no.  It would have made him look utterly pathetic, and hopefully gave her something to think about.  Like do you REALLY want to be with me (warts and all), or just want to be with me because it's better than being alone and you miss my companionship.

I liked how doe eyed they were when Amy was first away on her conference.  They sounded so cute and in love.  I thought, perhaps they talked things through.  But the next episode, it felt like we fell back to long suffering Amy.  While I did like that she helped Sheldon learn to be empathetic and apologize with meaning.  She looked bored, like the long suffering Amy we are used to, that has to deal with her "annoying boyfriend" and teach him how act like a proper person.  Frankly I preferred it when she also lacked social skills when talking to the group (but it made sense to Sheldon). That Amy was funnier to me, and seemed a lot more in tune with Sheldon.  The fact that she stayed away longer simply to avoid him while sick was quite sad to me.  I understand he's irritating when sick, but you would think she'd want to seeing that they just got back together.

Then to the Meemaw episode.  "I'm the best chance he's got?"  This line also pissed me off.  If I was his meemaw I'd say something like "Well let's see about that missy" Is Sheldon so useless that only Miss Amy can put up with his terrible self?  I think @ATOB mentioned something similar.

I feel bad for Sheldon.  I know that he's a difficult person, but it feels like all his friends can't stand him, and his girlfriend also puts up with him.  I thought deep down they all truly cared about each other.  I still feel Leonard cares more about him that probably anyone else, including Amy.

I have my fingers crossed for these two.   I'm not as excited about their reconciliation as I thought I would be.  Mainly for the above reasons.

One last point.  I like how Sheldon was written in earlier seasons better.  He was a lot more clever, and a lot less childlike.

I agree with everything you said.

On the other hand, I also feel sorry for Amy, mostly because of the coitus episode. I don't think Sheldon did it because he wanted it. I think he did it to keep Amy around.

But it seems that our concerns are unnecessary, because Sheldon thinks their relationship is stronger than ever and Amy plain doesn't care if Sheldon is attracted to her physically. So who are we to judge. We should just sit here and let the writers tell us that they are perfect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, April said:

I didn't mean you personally. As said, this was also in reaction to what was/is going on in that other thread for a while now. If I had wanted to pick your opinion apart I would have just done that. Please don't feel discouraged to post here. *offers a consoling hug*

With regards to the bold part: Hearing that from her in that particular situation would have been nice and dandy, no objections.

But what the scene ultimately tries to accomplish here is to have Meemaw and Amy find common ground. The way her visit went down Amy sees Meemaw treating Sheldon as a kid (and grandparents do that all the time, nothing unusual here) but naturally that makes Amy wonder if she truly knows what Sheldon is like as an adult and what she has to deal with as his girlfriend - especially since Meemaw is giving her hell the whole time. And to some extend Meemaw doesn't get it because she doesn't understand the issues that plaque Sheldon's everyday life (good lord, Google, what were you thinking!?) - but what she does know is being married to a man who could just be as stubborn and infuriating as Sheldon can be. That should be enough for both women to bond. And yet here is Meemaw quite a bit self-righteous herself because apparently she stuck it out with Pop-pop but how dare Amy stand up for herself and hurt her poor Moonpie! As much as this might have been for the right reasons in that she's worried about her grandson it's still infuriating that she's having this sort of attitude towards Amy. She could have simply talked to Amy (and Sheldon for that matter) but instead she immediately turns into Gorgon!Meemaw (thx, Wowbagger!) when Sheldon isn't looking and attacks her. So in context this all makes a whole lot of sense to me and I can't help but defend Amy here.

It's true. Meemaw was very harsh and cruel to Amy in the beginning, but Amy just...I don't know, she could've toned down a little bit.

Perhaps because of cultural differences, but I would never talk to my boyfriend's grandma like that, no matter how unreasonable she is. Maybe the writers want the scene to be intense for comedy, but I think it's too much and it made me very uncomfortable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

It's true. Meemaw was very harsh and cruel to Amy in the beginning, but Amy just...I don't know, she could've toned down a little bit.

Perhaps because of cultural differences, but I would never talk to my boyfriend's grandma like that, no matter how unreasonable she is. Maybe the writers want the scene to be intense for comedy, but I think it's too much and it made me very uncomfortable.

Well, a conflict with your partner's family is always uncomfortable - no matter what you can't really avoid that kind of feeling.  And if it were just a vague feeling of awkwardness between the two I'd probably be with you on this. I mean, I haven't seen it yet, so I need to wait to make my final judgement until later, but the way it reads to me in the TR is that Amy is forced into this defensive position because Meemaw decided it's a great opportunity to treat her in the most awful way possible. Meemaw being the one who comes after Amy is really changing things for me here. As much as I'm all for respecting the elderly they have at least make a token effort to earn that respect by not being an ass on purpose.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, April said:

Well, a conflict with your partner's family is always uncomfortable - no matter what you can't really avoid that kind of feeling.  And if it were just a vague feeling of awkwardness between the two I'd probably be with you on this. I mean, I haven't seen it yet, so I need to wait to make my final judgement until later, but the way it reads to me in the TR is that Amy is forced into this defensive position because Meemaw decided it's a great opportunity to treat her in the most awful way possible. Meemaw being the one who comes after Amy is really changing things for me here. As much as I'm all for respecting the elderly they have at least make a token effort to earn that respect by not being an ass on purpose.

I guess you're right. Respect is a mutual thing. It's just I want Meemaw to like Amy, not for her to be yet another obstacle in the Shamy relationship. And I hate it so much that the writers seem to be obsessed with the break up and to call out Amy every now and then and make her kind of cold and indifferent while Sheldon acting all grown up. You see, I'm back to the old, boring topic again...Sorry I'll shut up now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

For the love of God people.....we haven't even seen the damn episode yet!!!  How in the hell can any of you judge Amy's (or anybody else's) actions until you've seen it??!!  

I thought that's what we do here. I have a "J" type personality....it's what I do.   Lol.....

I think every topic in regards to Shamy has at this point has been discussed to death.

Edited by nibbler747
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nibbler747 said:

Here is my (bound to be) very unpopular opinion.  Let me preface by saying that I am a Shamy fan.  I had always thought Sheldon and Amy were two pieces of a puzzle.  They clicked.  They understood each other when others didn't. 

I think that Sheldon and Amy needed this break, to make clear to themselves what they really desire and to hopefully start fresh with each other in a way. I don't put blame on the break solely on one party or another, they both had issues they needed to think about and work on.

But I hate how everyone seems to "hate" Sheldon.  He's the annoying child that everyone has to put up with.  And that includes Amy.  It used to not include Amy, but clearly she is one of the cool kids now, and she is firmly in their camp.  His friends find him tiresome and annoying.  They do everything to avoid hanging out with him.  During the break up, everyone put the blame solely on him.  All his friends basically told him "well Amy deserves to be happy, and you just made her miserable".  Amy didn't seem all that sad, just annoyed with Sheldon pestering her throughout their breakup.  To me, it feels Amy was like, let me check if the grass is really greener on the other side. (yes...I've heard all the arguments about Sheldon trying to date first...frankly him asking two ladies out while drunk and extremely half assedly doesn't hold water to me). 

Who knows what Amy was thinking.  Her story wasn't told.  But to say "I'm ready to be your girlfriend again?"  Ugh.  Just so much ugh.  Like he was just sitting by the phone waiting for her.  It feels like she was allowing him the honor of dating her again.  I'm glad he said no.  It would have made him look utterly pathetic, and hopefully gave her something to think about.  Like do you REALLY want to be with me (warts and all), or just want to be with me because it's better than being alone and you miss my companionship.

I liked how doe eyed they were when Amy was first away on her conference.  They sounded so cute and in love.  I thought, perhaps they talked things through.  But the next episode, it felt like we fell back to long suffering Amy.  While I did like that she helped Sheldon learn to be empathetic and apologize with meaning.  She looked bored, like the long suffering Amy we are used to, that has to deal with her "annoying boyfriend" and teach him how act like a proper person.  Frankly I preferred it when she also lacked social skills when talking to the group (but it made sense to Sheldon). That Amy was funnier to me, and seemed a lot more in tune with Sheldon.  The fact that she stayed away longer simply to avoid him while sick was quite sad to me.  I understand he's irritating when sick, but you would think she'd want to seeing that they just got back together.

Then to the Meemaw episode.  "I'm the best chance he's got?"  This line also pissed me off.  If I was his meemaw I'd say something like "Well let's see about that missy" Is Sheldon so useless that only Miss Amy can put up with his terrible self?  I think @ATOB mentioned something similar.

I feel bad for Sheldon.  I know that he's a difficult person, but it feels like all his friends can't stand him, and his girlfriend also puts up with him.  I thought deep down they all truly cared about each other.  I still feel Leonard cares more about him that probably anyone else, including Amy.

I have my fingers crossed for these two.   I'm not as excited about their reconciliation as I thought I would be.  Mainly for the above reasons.

One last point.  I like how Sheldon was written in earlier seasons better.  He was a lot more clever, and a lot less childlike.

 

 

Your opinion is not as unpopular as you think, a few of us have voiced similar concerns here. I'm optimistic about the reconciliation, but it's a guarded optimism. Like you, I wished we had more of that doe eyed lovey dove that we saw in the first Skype sessions. Some folks have argued that Amy isn't gonna completely be head over heels all the time and will still call Sheldon out on his behavior from time to time. Okay yeah I get it, but can we have her call him out off camera more than on lol? It's a 20 minute show, hey writers-- how about less of the "oh look, there's Sheldon saying/doing something inappropriate: let me, his soul mate who presumably just won the lotto when it comes to exceeding expectations in the reconciliation, point it out and fix him? Hmmm? Just sayin......

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

I thought that's what we do here. I have a "J" type personality....it's what I do.   Lol.....

I think every topic in regards to Shamy has at this point has been discussed to death.

You and several others, including myself.   Why have a spoilers discussion thread if we aren't going to discuss them?    I am sure some of us will either retract or add to our opinions once the episode airs, but until then, opinions about and the desire to discuss the TR exist.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Heh. Well, for the bolded bit: Not for nothing, but for a body of work which may or may not have included the episode which she submitted for awards consideration. It's like with the Academy Awards: don't we hear that you seldom get the prize for the precise film in the precise year that you won it, but because the Academy is generally rewarding you for a body of work that it thinks to be deserving?

And- speaking as one of the 'Argh Amy what are you actually thinking or feeling?!?' bellyachers- honestly, we may have to agree to disagree here. The niggling sense that I got during the breakup episodes was that, for Amy, plot was driving character. Or rather, character was driving character, but Sheldon's character arc was driving Amy's actions. The 'underwritten' feeling didn't just plague Amy, honestly- I really got the sense that the writers were expending all their powder writing for Sheldon, and the remaining characters got a bit of hasty Photoshop and cut-and-paste in whatever time was left before taping.

Because I think anything adjacent to a break-up is a very big deal. If Amy were to feel so exhausted by Sheldon, so weary with him, I would expect to have seen flickers of something like that, or something a little uneasy even in her moments of happiness with him. And I, personally, did not. You may disagree, and that is fine.

And I don't at all blame Amy for snapping and breaking up with Sheldon in the heat of the moment, but after that, everything that we are told suggests that whatever was bugging Amy was enough for her to be moody and withdrawn and reticent and oddly furtive with her friends (all of whom were behaving like macaques with ADD and amnesia, suddenly). And then we find out that Amy has been dating, and not just dating, that apparently 'I never thought the next man I dated would be like Sheldon' or something like that- happy to be corrected. And whenever she spoke with Sheldon, her affect suggested weariness, again. She sounded as though she had checked out of her relationship mentally long ago. And this was so at odds with Amy in Season Eight that I was thrown. Because anger I can get- though what I wouldn't have given for Amy to retaliate to Sheldon's Czechoslovakia Youtube video with a rival 'Vexillology Vixen' Youtube channel of her own!- but Amy's terrifyingly distant affection looked to me like someone dealing with an impossible ex of many years ago. Everything about Amy suggested that she was moving on with some purpose- that she had been wanting to march for some time. Nothing about the dates we saw suggested that Amy was awkward or ill-at-ease, or even throwing herself with her manic gusto of yore into something that obviously didn't fit for her.

And it all felt, to me, that if there was a coherent narrative arc for Amy there, it was being criminally underexplored. But- because my starting point is that of searing scepticism in the writers- Occam's Razor suggests to me that the simplest explanation is that the writers felt that Sheldon needed to learn, by separation from the love of his life, that he was not a robot*. And Amy was the marionette they would use to make that happen. Because okay, Amy has had enough of Sheldon. Fine. Why was the only available option for her to go on dates rather than- oo, I don't know- throw herself into work? Take up sky-diving? Decide to agitate to have her made-up language recognised by the UN? Because the writers knew that Sheldon would be most hurt by Amy dating. Simple as that. And maybe that they didn't want to risk Amy's post-breakup stories being fun and interesting enough that viewers would say 'hey! She used to be such a laugh! Why don't they go back to being friends?' And maybe, just maybe, they really don't care enough about Amy to have her be coherent or do anything that isn't about Sheldon in some way (with a few-very few- honourable exceptions). Even what we see of her dating life is blighted by Sheldon. Sheldon gets to turn down a woman because she isn't Amy, or because she failed some criterion of his. Amy had the decision forced by her by a man who won't shut up about her ex.

(shrugs) but you're right- we've talked this to death, really, haven't we? Let's speculate some more about that proposal, and whether we'll ever get to meet any more of Amy's family.

* And ugh, I cannot with that.

Bahahaha , Skydiving! For a brief instant I had a vision of the Dos Equis spokesman being replaced by Amy Farrah Fowler, The Most Interesting Woman In The World!          "I don't always break up with my man, but when I do I make sure it lasts six months before I unapologetically reverse myself....Stay thirsty my friends!"

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.