Jump to content

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, April said:

To me the beauty of a proposal doesn't rely on the element of surprise. In fact, you know these public/semi-public surprise proposals that many people find super romantic? I'm the kind of person who finds them pretty awful, whoops. I can't help but cringe a little and hope that the couple did at least talk about marriage at some point because the whole idea of being put on the spot with everyone expecting you to say "YES!!" is skyrocketing my anxiety levels.

In Sheldon's case what's a lot more important to me is how he'll propose, like what does he think is the right moment and what words will he chose? I don't even care if it's a romantic outing or a private situation - but I'm hoping for something that's coming from the heart and shows that whatever walls he may have maintained over the years to keep her at bay have now crumbled and he's in without any reservations. I mean, we already see bits of this but for a proposal it would be nice to put all of that into a little speech and wrap it up with a cute bow!

Yes, all of this. I've always felt like an ass for thinking these big surprising proposals are kinda cheesy and cringe-worthy. I mean, if others like it that's perfectly fine. But I always thought if the woman (or whoever is being proposed to) is completely caught off-guard and didn't know it was coming or engagement wasn't discussed, did she really want to say yes or did she feel obligated to because of the way she was proposed?

My version of a perfect proposal for Shamy would be something quiet, simple, and understated. Now, the writers may still go in the direction of some spectacular circumstance, but I think what is really going to sweep Amy (and the audience) off her feet is the words he chooses and the way he says them. It's all about the little looks and nuances, of which Mayim and Jim will undoubtedly deliver stunningly.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • April

    1081

  • A Shamy gal

    1037

  • jenafan

    1018

  • Amy Fowler

    969

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning peeps! Let me clear up and give a more in depth shamy reportings!   There were 2 takes of the second kiss... As they finish kissing the first time round. They break apart. Sheld

Ok fellow Shamies, I typed up this report on the plane home just now. I've just landed and have another hour or so until I'll be home, but I thought I'd post this at least for you all real quick.  Sor

Oh...I thought someone has already posted a TR? No? Ok. First of all, English is not my first language, so I may have misunderstood a lot of the lines. Please forgive me if the episode turns out

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maddie said:

This isn't about traditionalism or anything, but is anyone else really hoping it's not Amy who proposes? It was cute with Lenny and all, especially cuz Leonard was still able to sweep Penny off her feet with the ring. But I just always envisioned it as Sheldon proposing. And I just really hope Amy doesn't push this in any way. My ideal situation would be for her to not even bring it up and just allow Sheldon to do it when he thinks the time is perfect.

I too hope it's not Amy. Lenny had agreed to take it in turns to propose. Shamy haven't  got anywhere near that so far as we've seen. Far too many people, including Amy now, know Sheldon has been intending to propose at some point. The writers ought to let him carry on being the macho Texan. It suits him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

d ) Subvert expectations altogether by never having the proposal, and having Sheldon and Amy go about their lives perfectly contentedly,

I think there has to be a proposal, and a wedding, to fulfill Amy's prediction.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

By the way, I don't really think (d) would ever happen. Sheldon likes his contracts and his commitments, and CBS is square enough that I don't seriously buy them dispensing with weddings and marriages and suchlike. But part of me would be amused if the writers let the cat out of the bag regarding the ring, precisely in order to say 'Well, now you know that it could happen. And now you'll be watching for it to happen. But how about enjoying all the other good stuff without ruining your appetites waiting for the proposal?'

I'd probably end up laughing hysterically if they just come back from some hiatus with the two of them wearing wedding bands because they got the paperwork done in a courthouse off-screen and that was it. No big fuss, no nothing - just be done with it! I know this would be the worst case scenario for many - this thread alone would probably implode! But I always end up laughing at horrible things (sometimes to the point of inappropriateness) so yeah... *dodges tomatoes*

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, April said:

To me the beauty of a proposal doesn't rely on the element of surprise. In fact, you know these public/semi-public surprise proposals that many people find super romantic? I'm the kind of person who finds them pretty awful, whoops. I can't help but cringe a little and hope that the couple did at least talk about marriage at some point because the whole idea of being put on the spot with everyone expecting you to say "YES!!" is skyrocketing my anxiety levels.

In Sheldon's case what's a lot more important to me is how he'll propose, like what does he think is the right moment and what words will he chose? I don't even care if it's a romantic outing or a private situation - but I'm hoping for something that's coming from the heart and shows that whatever walls he may have maintained over the years to keep her at bay have now crumbled and he's in without any reservations. I mean, we already see bits of this but for a proposal it would be nice to put all of that into a little speech and wrap it up with a cute bow!

Oh yeah, no! No public proposals for anyone ever!

... I'm about to PM you a story ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, April said:

I'd probably end up laughing hysterically if they just come back from some hiatus with the two of them wearing wedding bands because they got the paperwork done in a courthouse off-screen and that was it. No big fuss, no nothing - just be done with it! I know this would be the worst case scenario for many - this thread alone would probably implode! But I always end up laughing at horrible things (sometimes to the point of inappropriateness) so yeah... *dodges tomatoes*

That would be hilarious. (And doubly so to me if they didn't even tell the others , especially after planning Bernadette's wedding. It would create a lot of interesting things if they never told anyone. . .)

And cute, actually.

Edited by CuriousMeans
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

HA! Or that! I would quite like them to be going about their business when Penny says 'er....so are you planning on popping the question any time soon, Sheldon?', while Sheldon is all 'Which question? The only question I can think of is which anarchist thought that it was a good idea to buy non-uniform-sized eggs, AMY', and Amy is all 'I WAS USING THE UNIFORM SIZES FOR A STOP-MOTION ANIMATION FOR FUN WITH FLAGS! AND THEY'RE ALL GOING INTO FRENCH TOAST! WHO EVEN CARES WHAT SIZE THEY ARE?', and Leonard clears his throat and says 'Well, don't you sound like an old married couple', and Sheldon is all 'By most Western standards, neither Amy nor I could be considered 'old'. But you are right about the 'married couple' part. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!' while everyone else gapes at them.

And then they reveal they're both wearing a ring on a necklace under their shirts* and Amy quotes LotR with a wink like "One ring to bind him..." to Sheldon's delight! lol

(*my husband is actually doing that with his ring)

Edited by April
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished watching 6X2 again and Amy said that she sees herself married to Sheldon in "exactly 4 years." I am thinking that they'll be engaged by then but probably not married yet. I don't know what will happen but I'm sure her prediction will be written in somehow. I'm sure this was said before in here but 859 pages is a lot to go through. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, April said:

I'd probably end up laughing hysterically if they just come back from some hiatus with the two of them wearing wedding bands because they got the paperwork done in a courthouse off-screen and that was it. No big fuss, no nothing - just be done with it! I know this would be the worst case scenario for many - this thread alone would probably implode! But I always end up laughing at horrible things (sometimes to the point of inappropriateness) so yeah... *dodges tomatoes*

Mhmm - okay, don't kill me, but I actually like this idea! It would at least be much better than the Lenny-wedding in Vegas! Plus it is exactly what Alan Rickman did, so as a big fan of him I am not as appalled by this idea as I should be as a Shamy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, April said:

And then they reveal they're both wearing a ring on a necklace under the shirts* and Amy quotes LotR with a wink like "One him to bind him..." to Sheldon's delight! lol

(*my husband is actually doing that with his ring)

Or 'Rings aren't just for the Green Lantern Corps'......

Edited by wowbagger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

c ) Have Amy let Sheldon off the hook for proposing altogether, and have Sheldon say 'I know I don't need to propose to you, but I want to'; or

This is how I see it going down, Amy giving him a 'soft' no so as not to push him at all.

I don't see them not actually having a wedding, weddings are a great ratings trap and lets face it at nearly 10 seasons long they need stuff to do :wink: 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the Meemaw episode, I hoped Amy wouldn't find out about the ring, but after the first shock, I'm fine with it. I agree with April here, to me the element of surprise isn't what makes it beautiful. I'm not a huge fun of those big, surprise, over-the-top (imo) romantic proposals. To me the most important thing is how he'll ask it and what he'll say. And I don't need a super hippie-dippie speech, just something that's genuine, straight from the heart and still has that little Shamy quirkiness. Oh and of course Amy saying yes!

Also before Amy knew about the ring, I was totally fine with her popping the question. Now it would easily look like she's pushing it, so I hope the writers will handle it differently.

 

Edited by bluebird
something happened to my gif
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, April said:

I'd probably end up laughing hysterically if they just come back from some hiatus with the two of them wearing wedding bands because they got the paperwork done in a courthouse off-screen and that was it. No big fuss, no nothing - just be done with it! I know this would be the worst case scenario for many - this thread alone would probably implode! But I always end up laughing at horrible things (sometimes to the point of inappropriateness) so yeah... *dodges tomatoes*

I would be one of the posters bitching about it till the cows come, but, you're right, there's some irony in it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Look, I get what you are thinking, but it was so a odd, anticlimactic and deliberate choice from the writers' part, that I suspect they have a plan. Shamy is still their cash cow at the moment (more than 24 million people watched 9.11 just in USA...) so I think their possible engagement would be a topic moment for the show as well. My guess is that they want to delay it, given also that they are negoziating new seasons, and that was the way they came up with. Had they forgot the ring until let's say, for the sake of argument, next season (I hope it will appear again for the right reason sooner than that) wouldn't it have sounded even stranger? This way, there is kind of a temporary  "closure" for this plot and the show can move on. But I bet dollars to donuts that, if and when they plan an engagement, it will be a very special moment for us as fans.

I also thought that Sheldon might be saving it for their anniversary? So that would push it until the end of the season maybe?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would people believe they got married without all the fuss? I wish they'd give them some episodes of being themselves, weird science experiments and all, and then no one believes they're married because of all the stuff they've done. 

Wow, I guess I just really want a reverse Herb Garden episode.

Edited by CuriousMeans
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't think Sheldon has a "plan" or is waiting for the right time for proposal. It's just not like him to want to prepare a "romantic" proposal. He still hates Valentine's Day after all these years.

To be honest, I think to Sheldon proposing was really not a big deal until Amy broke up with him. It then became his silver lining so he rushed to Amy's home to propose in 907. Now they are back together, he doesn't need it anymore. Well at the end of day they're still gonna get married. But it just doesn't matter when.

And Sheldon hates changes remember?If he can keep everything in his life the same, that would be the best case. However, he already knew if nothing changes Amy will leave. So he had coitus with her. And proposal would be another big change. What he said in Meemaw episode, it doesn't sound he wants to wait because they just got back together. To me it's more like "I just made a sacrifice for you. I think it's enough to keep you around for a while."

Edited by camelliayao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

HA! Or that! I would quite like them to be going about their business when Penny says 'er....so are you planning on popping the question any time soon, Sheldon?', while Sheldon is all 'Which question? The only question I can think of is which anarchist thought that it was a good idea to buy non-uniform-sized eggs, AMY', and Amy is all 'I WAS USING THE UNIFORM SIZES FOR A STOP-MOTION ANIMATION FOR FUN WITH FLAGS! AND THEY'RE ALL GOING INTO FRENCH TOAST! WHO EVEN CARES WHAT SIZE THEY ARE?', and Leonard clears his throat and says 'Well, don't you sound like an old married couple', and Sheldon is all 'By most Western standards, neither Amy nor I could be considered 'old'. But you are right about the 'married couple' part. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!' while everyone else gapes at them.

Wouldn't that be a fine kettle of fish... "Hey Lennies, quit yer whinin'...you may have gotten a quickie Vegas wedding hardly anyone saw, but Shamy had an OFFSCREEN wedding that NO ONE NOT EVEN THE FANS SAW!!!"  Lol...

 

Btw, not denigrating Lennies, I was kinda disappointed in the wedding, too!  :-p

Edited by jlove
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I also thought that Sheldon might be saving it for their anniversary? So that would push it until the end of the season maybe?

It depends for me on how many seasons (if any) after Season 10 they negotiate. I think the negotiations are pretty close to a conclusion, otherwise the boss at CBS would not have been so straight in saying that from their part there are no problems in prolonging the contracts. Writers and producers of course know the state and the terms of negotiations. If they are speaking about just Season 11 (which I doubt, since no negotiation is needed for Season 11 for the cast salary at least), for me your timing is perfect. Wedding in Season 10 (sorry, guys, dreaming is awesome but weddings mean ratings for the networks...) and Season 11 with everyone (but Raj?) settled and living a nerdy married life. If they are going past Season 11, then I'm not sure what they have in store for us, but maybe a Season 10 proposal? 

This afternoon is so fun, guys!!! So many scenarios and ideas...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

It depends for me on how many seasons (if any) after Season 10 they negotiate. I think the negotiations are pretty close to a conclusion, otherwise the boss at CBS would not have been so straight in saying that from their part there are no problems in prolonging the contracts. Writers and producers of course know the state and the terms of negotiations. If they are speaking about just Season 11, for me your timing is perfect. Wedding in Season 10 (sorry, guys, dreaming is awesome but weddings mean ratings for the networks...) and Season 11 with everyone (but Raj?) settled and living a nerdy married life. If they are going past Season 11, then I'm not sure what they have in store for us, but maybe a Season 10 proposal? 

This afternoon is so fun, guys!!! So many scenarios and ideas...

They have an 'option' for 11 - I was of the understanding that if CBS/WB say "go" then it goes ahead, no extra negations? ... I might be wrong about that one though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

They have an 'option' for 11 - I was of the understanding that if CBS/WB say "go" then it goes ahead, no extra negations? ... I might be wrong about that one though.

Yes, as far as I know, at least for the main 5 (not sure for Mayim and Melissa), if CBS/WB want a Season 11, there will ba a season 11, with the same salary...by the way, 1 million episode each for all of them but Mayim and Melissa.

15 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I really don't think Sheldon has a "plan" or is waiting for the right time for proposal. It's just not like him to want to prepare a "romantic" proposal. He still hates Valentine's Day after all these years.

To be honest, I think to Sheldon proposing was really not a big deal until Amy broke up with him. It then became his silver lining so he rushed to Amy's home to propose in 907. Now they are back together, he doesn't need it anymore. Well at the end of day they're still gonna get married. But it just doesn't matter when.

And Sheldon hates changes remember?If he can keep everything in his life the same, that would be the best case. However, he already knew if nothing changes Amy will leave. So he had coitus with her. And proposal would be another big change. What he said in Meemaw episode, it doesn't sound he wants to wait because they just got back together. To me it's more like "I just made a sacrifice for you. I think it's enough to keep you around for a while."

I don't think Sheldon has a "plan". He hates what most people consider romantic, so for sure he is not waiting for the "right moment" in terms of romanticism. He's waiting for the moment he feels right for himself, when he is ready. Like with coitus (which I don't see as a sacrifice at all, by the way), when he was ready, he did it. What I think (as I told you before) is that the writers do have a plan, to make quirky but "special" the proposal in some way, since Amy knowing about it is kind of a buzzkill, and they need to do something to make it work well.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Yes, as far as I know, at least for the main 5 (not sure for Mayim and Melissa), if CBS/WB want a Season 11, there will ba a season 11, with the same salary...by the way, 1 million episode each for all of them but Mayim and Melissa.

I don't think Sheldon has a "plan". He hates what most people consider romantic, so for sure he is not waiting for the "right moment" in terms of romanticism. He's waiting for the moment he feels right for himself, when he is ready. Like with coitus (which I don't see as a sacrifice at all, by the way), when he was ready, he did it. What I think (as I told you before) is that the writers do have a plan, to make quirky but "special" the proposal in some way, since Amy knowing about it is kind of a buzzkill, and they need to do something to make it work well.

Well he certainly felt he was ready in 824 and in 907, didn't he. So what changed him mind now? Is it because of the break up? Since in 915 he clearly had already got over the break up. (He said the break up was necessary and made them stronger than ever), we know it's not because of the break up. Or maybe he was not ready this whole time, the ring was just a tool to make the break up more dramatic, after all who wouldn't like to see a puppy-eyed, heartbroken Sheldon.

As for the coitus thing, I don't want to repeat my old, boring opinions again. I just find it strange that he wasn't ready for all those years and suddenly became ready right after their reconciliation.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, CuriousMeans said:

I guess I just really want a reverse Herb Garden episode.

Oddly enough, I've been playing around with a fanfic idea, based on a reverse Herb Garden story.

47 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Wedding in Season 10

That would be ideal.

10.02 would tie in with Amy's prediction.

10 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

I just find it strange that he wasn't ready for all those years and suddenly became ready right after their reconciliation.

I think it was realizing Amy was his heart worm.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jlove said:

, but Shamy had an OFFSCREEN wedding that NO ONE NOT EVEN THE FANS SAW!!!"  Lol...

Yay ! It would fit into 9.11 wouldn't it .... It's not as if they tore each others' clothes off on the couch. It was all very sedate, considering.  Something  we didn't see  went on between the kissing, fully clothed,  and the bedroom scenario that looked for all the world like an old-fashioned wedding night. But what ? I want to know. Only the remark about the birthday makes one doubt the possibility- although they could of course have been talking about any number of things apart from the obvious.

I'd like there to have been what jlove suggested but I can't in my head make it fit the living arrangements. Doesn''t  mean it still can't happen, though. If the maid of honour business has got Amy's wedding-organising out of her system, maybe she won't be Bridezilla about her own.

Btw, not denigrating Lennies, I was kinda disappointed in the wedding, too!  :-p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Yes, as far as I know, at least for the main 5 (not sure for Mayim and Melissa), if CBS/WB want a Season 11, there will ba a season 11, with the same salary...by the way, 1 million episode each for all of them but Mayim and Melissa.

I don't think Sheldon has a "plan". He hates what most people consider romantic, so for sure he is not waiting for the "right moment" in terms of romanticism. He's waiting for the moment he feels right for himself, when he is ready. Like with coitus (which I don't see as a sacrifice at all, by the way), when he was ready, he did it. What I think (as I told you before) is that the writers do have a plan, to make quirky but "special" the proposal in some way, since Amy knowing about it is kind of a buzzkill, and they need to do something to make it work well.

Hmm I'm torn on this.

I am in the camp that believes Sheldon was going to propose on their 5th anniversary (why else was the ring in his desk?!) if he was going to then that was a 'plan' of sorts. He watches movies, he see's what people do :wink: so I'm betting he would make some sort of effort to make it special and proposing on their 5th anniversary would tick that box.

Sheldon does not like change no, BUT he seems to be fine with change that he initiates. Kissing was something that was never gonna happen right until he kissed her, then kissing somehow finds it's way into the relationship agreement, the agreement that has always greatly benefited Sheldon.

 

When he ran to propose to her in 9x07 he was checking on the ring and looked like he was going over what he was gonna say, running to a girls door at night to propose is also kind of a 'plan' and could also be seen as romantic.

When he made her his emergency contact he knew that she would find that significant or he wouldn't have given it as a gift, a valentines gift at that so he maybe even had a hint that it was not only significant BUT that it might have even been romantic?

I suspect that Sheldon is more than capable of romance, he just doesn't see the need for it in every day life, a proposal is not every day life though it is a story you're gonna tell your grandkids about!

I had imagined it as part of their annual relationship summit, amendments are made to the RA, there are prolonged negotiations about date night frequency, pet names and stuff like that then right as Amy thinks that everything is ready to be signed off and notarised when Sheldon submits an amendment to change it to an Engagement Agreement :) 

I love these dorks! I can't wait to see their wedding and their continued adorkable relationship but Gorgon_MeemaTM has shat all over my anticipation of the engagement entirely! 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.