[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

3 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Why, you're a fool if you thought this story was about how Amy defends her relationship! Why, that would imply that Amy is the protagonist of her own story! Silly rabbit. It's SHELDON's story. Amy just lives in it. She is only there to tolerate Sheldon and to provide the pretext for Sheldon to slay one more dragon of his past. There, Amy, simper proudly and stroke Sheldon's sleeve. Look, you'll get some bling out of the exchange! Now roll your eyes some more at Sheldon's behaviour like a good tired stereotype. Gooood exhausted gender convention. Well done.

Howling at this right now lol! You'd do Meemaw proud!

3 hours ago, April said:

I personally took the scene as emblematic for how little Amy knew what was going on with Sheldon during the breakup and that Penny didn't gossip about him as much as we would have expected it. I mean, we've been wondering all that time what Amy knows and every time she finds out anything regarding to that it's a shock/surprise for her. And now she finds out that her bestie Penny knew so much more and still sent her off to date other people.

I always thought commitment or rather Sheldon's apparent lack of it was a big problem for Amy in 8x24 - she even calls him out like "THAT'S the commitment issue you're wrestling with!?" but he didn't get the hint, hence her frustration. For me the big tragedy in their dynamic has always been how Sheldon is still so guarded about his feelings and Amy just doesn't know the true depths of his love for her. I'm hoping against all hope that the show will finally get over itself and allow a really emotionally honest moment between the two. I mean, I'm not expecting to see them crying in each others arms while pouring out their hearts to each other like in certain fanfics, but if you can have Sheldon open up to others you can have him open up to Amy in an even more profound way.

I agree, it would be great to see a REAL exchange of some sort. We've seen tiny specs of this here and there (Prom, Mars, etc) but I'd like an updated scene now that the break up has dragged them through hell and back. And I'm sure it would be too much to ask of the writers, but I would love a more Amy-centric revelation about her journey and what the relationship now means to her. 

Yeah when pigs fly....

Edited by 2L344

• Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I'm generally ok with reading expressions in shows, but I for the life of me don't get this exchange after the cool your jets line:

tumblr_o233etQM1m1ufum4to1_500.gif

I can't tell what her look is because Sheldon volunteering that information says a lot about her and their relationship (and how different she is from Mary), but Meemaw's face is a mystery to me. Unless the moment is just a vehicle to make that a comedic moment with that line? She sort of looks pained? But Sheldon looks proud???

*gif and credit for it here; tags hilarious but not what I'm feeling with this

Edited by CuriousMeans

Something has occurred to me. Meemaw has always known Sheldon when he was grown up would need someone special to restore the lost years of his emotional and psychological maturation that the locusts would have eaten if you like, to help overcome his undeveloped social sense and assist with his adjustment to being no longer the feted child prodigy when he hit thirty.

So far as we know,Sheldon's meemaw has only once spoken to Amy on the phone. Something may have given her a clue that Amy had issues of her own, leading Meemaw to fear Amy might fall short of the angel or saint capable of looking after Sheldon and protecting him if his special needs interfered with his life. We know Meemaw and Mary have discussed Amy. Possibly Mary told her mother what Amy was like but that she approved.

What if Meemaw's reservations go back further than the break-up ? Suppose she's afraid not only that Amy might leave Sheldon and hurt him again but that it now looks likely things are moving rapidly towards the day when Crazynerdwoman 's going to be in charge of him for the rest of his life, doubling the likelihood of crazy great-grandchildren for her to worry about, prompting her at last to come and inspect Amy for herself ?

Mary saw Amy very soon after Sheldon first met her and stepped in to get them back together after the Zazzy incident. Amy's on her prayer list. She knows about Amy's progress over five years under Penny's and then Bernadette's wings and seen the effect on Sheldon. She's the one who encouraged Sheldon not to send the ring back too hastily. Her mother doesn't trust her.

8 minutes ago, CuriousMeans said:

So, I'm generally ok with reading expressions in shows, but I for the life of me don't get this exchange after the cool your jets line:

I can't tell what her look is because Sheldon volunteering that information says a lot about her and their relationship (and how different she is from Mary), but Meemaw's face is a mystery to me. Unless the moment is just a vehicle to make that a comedic moment with that line? She sort of looks pained? But Sheldon looks proud???

Same here. In my head before watching the episode I would've thought Meemaw would have maybe turned her face away with a roll of her eyes, or something to show that it was TMI lol...instead, her expression to me was kind of neutral. To me anyway...

2 hours ago, CentralPerk said:

Yes, I watched it again and he said that. I understand what you mean now. But in the spok documentary I thought he said he would have liked propose to her before they broke up. But yes, you may be right, maybe he just thought about it but didn't know when, and then they broke up before he could find a date.

Honestly, I think the writers played a little bit with the ring stuff...In Season 8 finale  it was hinted that Sheldon was going to propose right away and in the Spokumentary episode he said "We broke up before I could broach the subject", which meant to me that somehow he already made his mind on it. But it was never stated explicitly, apart from the attempted proposal in 9.7, which was just a desperate way to solve a problem. There are some inconsistencies here; they were originated, for me, partly for having a "dramatic" effect on the audience, but it's the writers' job to hook us to the characters, so it's understandable they did that, and partly  for "freezing" the ring plot for a while giving at the same time some sort of justification for Shamy not getting engaged ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

Same here. In my head before watching the episode I would've thought Meemaw would have maybe turned her face away with a roll of her eyes, or something to show that it was TMI lol...instead, her expression to me was kind of neutral. To me anyway...

' Well they all do it these days. She's giving the milk away for free. He's no need to buy the cow. I knew she was a slut. Good for Moonpie.'

24 minutes ago, Radar said:

Very late to the party, blame the time shift.
Ooookay, don't want to repeat everything, most issues have already been mentioned, so here are a few additional thoughts:

Sixth: She accuses Amy of hurting Sheldon. Suprise: He hurt her, too! Meemaw, maybe if you had talked to her, had asked what had caused the break-up, explained (gently) that you are afraid it might happen again - that would have worked. And I think that's what Mary might have done. But attacking her outright? No go!

This point right here is what angered me most about meemaw or I should say the writers. It looked to me that as soon as meemaw said you hurt him, which I think was a bit more gentle then the rest, Amy could have told her she understood.  But then they were interrupted by Lenny bringing Sheldon in to defend Amy which I think was great btw.....

11 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Amy's had sex with just one man, in her entire life.

Hardly a slut, by any definition.

I don't think they were implying that (the issues with that even being a thing aside), simply using that quote from the show to demonstrate what Meemaw might have been thinking.

Edited by CuriousMeans

2 hours ago, boys3allc said:

I feel like it was a set up for something later on. Again just my opinion that this season has been about getting from boy to man. And here we see the most childlike Sheldon yet. Stand up to his beloved Memaw in favor if his even more loved Amy.

Putting my grievances aside for a moment and giving the writers the benefit of the doubt I'd agree with that.

[*booing from the crowd in the distance*]

Thematically this whole episode was two-fold: 1) On one hand you had this whole regress vs. progress dichotomy and being forced to make a choice here. 2) On the other there's the underlying message that a relationship requires commitment and the willingness to work things out. It's actually a solid premise and the Shamy storyline feels like the polar-opposite to whatever the fuck Raj is doing. Love is really not the topic here, as horrible as it sounds. (It would have certainly rounded things off but, again, putting that aside for now.)

To go a bit more into detail here:

1) Assuming that "let Sheldon grow up" is the premise of his S9 arc (and that seems to be a solid assumption by now) having him literally pick sides between the most beloved woman of his past and the woman that he wants to spend the rest of his life with is probably the most blatant way to have him let go of his childish ways. That isn't to say that he can't have childish enthusiasm for his hobbies (because that really isn't a bad thing and as we see with FWF next week it's something fun you can share with your partner!) but as this episode is hammering home the point time and again he's not a child anymore. He shouldn't be coddled and pampered - he's an adult and can take care of himself. And yes, I know, baby steps. He still needs a bit support with that. But he's getting there. And he's again embracing that change - literally and figuratively when he's demonstratively putting his arm around Amy.

And as CentralPerk pointed out so nicely, you can see it reflected in the acting. Sheldon's demeanour is noticeably shifting during the episode. From childlike giddiness to a more calm mature response.

2) The question of commitment is woven into this for both Sheldon and Amy here. Sheldon has it really easy though - he has the ring, case closed! It's a bit lazy and annoying but that's tradition for ya! ugh Anyway, as much as we all hate Amy being made the martyr in this relationship I think it's the writers' clumsy way to show her commitment like "Look how much she loves this guy - she is staying with him even though she knows how terrible he can be. If that's not love we don't know what is, right??" aaaand well, yeah, I guess. ugh

What works better though is the idea of them working on their issues. I mean Sheldon describes it in a way that lets you think he's saying Amy makes him a better person, but then it's turned on his head when he tries to sell it as him making her a better person. And then Amy tries to compromise and suggest they made each other better and grow together. If that's supposed to be an indication of how we're going forward with those two then I'd welcome that with open arms.

I'd love to see that woven a bit more explicitly into one of the next episodes, especially when it's a bit more about Amy and not just Sheldon. Let her be the annoying one for once and have Sheldon help her soften that personality flaw a bit. Let him be a bit more grown up while Amy is the giddy childlike one and have some fun with that dynamic. And yes, even let Amy have that realisation how that relationship is beneficial to her beyond their physical intimacy (fascinating how that even ends up on this side of the equation now! lol) and the prospect of a ring.

Edited by April

8 minutes ago, CuriousMeans said:

I don't think they were implying that (the issues with that even being a thing aside), simply using that quote from the show to demonstrate what Meemaw might have been thinking.

I understood that, and was kind of addressing my comment toward Meemaw.

10 minutes ago, April said:

Putting my grievances aside for a moment and giving the writers the benefit of the doubt I'd agree with that.

Thematically this whole episode was two-fold: 1) On one hand you had this whole regress vs. progress dichotomy and being forced to make a choice here. 2) On the other there's the underlying message that a relationship requires commitment and the willingness to work things out. It's actually a solid premise and the Shamy storyline feels like the polar-opposite to whatever the fuck Raj is doing. Love is really not the topic here, as horrible as it sounds. (It would have certainly rounded things off but, again, putting that aside for now.)

1) Assuming that "let Sheldon grow up" is the premise of his S9 arc (and that seems to be a solid assumption by now) having him literally pick sides between the most beloved woman of his past and the woman that he wants to spend the rest of his life with is probably the most blatant way to have him let go of his childish ways. That isn't to say that he can't have childish enthusiasm for his hobbies (because that really isn't a bad thing and as we see with FWF next week it's something fun you can share with your partner!) but as this episode is hammering home the point time and again he's not a child anymore. He shouldn't be coddled and pampered - he's an adult and can take care of himself. And yes, I know, baby steps. He still needs a bit support with that. But he's getting there. And he's again embracing that change - literally and figuratively when he's demonstratively putting his arm around Amy.

And as CentralPerk pointed out so nicely, you can see it reflected in the acting. Sheldon's demeanour is noticeably shifting during the episode. From childlike giddiness to a more calm mature response.

2) The question of commitment is woven into this for both Sheldon and Amy here. Sheldon has it really easy though - he has the ring, case closed! It's a bit lazy and annoying but that's tradition for ya! ugh Anyway, as much as we all hate Amy being made the martyr in this relationship I think it's the writers' clumsy way to show her commitment like "Look how much she loves this guy - he staying with him even though she knows how terrible he can be. If that's not love we don't know what is, right??" aaaand well, yeah, I guess. ugh

What works better though is the idea of them working on their issues. I mean Sheldon describes it in a way that lets you think he's saying Amy makes him a better person, but then it's turned on his head when he tries to sell it as him making her a better person. And then Amy tries to compromise and suggest they made each other better and grow together. If that's supposed to be an indication of how we're going forward with those two them then I'd welcome that with open arms.

I'd love to see that woven a bit more explicitly into one of the next episodes, especially when it's a bit more about Amy and not just Sheldon. Let her be the annoying one for once and have Sheldon help her soften that personality flaw a bit. Let him be a bit more grown up while Amy is the giddy childlike one and have some fun with that dynamic. And yes, even let Amy have that realisation how that relationship is beneficial to her beyond their physical intimacy (fascinating how that even ends up on this side of the equation now! lol) and the prospect of a ring.

I don't have much to add to this other than (a resounding yes to the last part and) this: the choice to have Sheldon physically between two people important to him that are fighting is a really nice one given his background in addition to the shift in demeanor. The blocking, whoever did it and however intentional it was, was good. This comment just reminded me of that.

Edited by CuriousMeans

48 minutes ago, CuriousMeans said:

To me it looks like June Squibb is desperately trying not to corpse. LMAO

5 hours ago, wowbagger said:

Why, you're a fool if you thought this story was about how Amy defends her relationship! Why, that would imply that Amy is the protagonist of her own story! Silly rabbit. It's SHELDON's story. Amy just lives in it. She is only there to tolerate Sheldon and to provide the pretext for Sheldon to slay one more dragon of his past. There, Amy, simper proudly and stroke Sheldon's sleeve. Look, you'll get some bling out of the exchange! Now roll your eyes some more at Sheldon's behaviour like a good tired stereotype. Gooood exhausted gender convention. Well done.

A thousand yes to this.

Once again, this relationship is solely about Sheldon. And did you notice the writers only give those touching lines to Sheldon? I was making a video about Shamy the other day, and I realized never once had Amy said something like "She's the dryer sheet of my heart".

In 915 (Oh I know we haven't watched the episode yet), when Sheldon says those heartfelt things, I think any normal person would comfort him a little bit or say something like "I'm sorry you went through all those things". However, Amy mostly just sits there quietly. It was so awkward.

Edited by camelliayao

1 hour ago, April said:

2) The question of commitment is woven into this for both Sheldon and Amy here. Sheldon has it really easy though - he has the ring, case closed! It's a bit lazy and annoying but that's tradition for ya! ugh Anyway, as much as we all hate Amy being made the martyr in this relationship I think it's the writers' clumsy way to show her commitment like "Look how much she loves this guy - she is staying with him even though she knows how terrible he can be. If that's not love we don't know what is, right??" aaaand well, yeah, I guess. ugh

What works better though is the idea of them working on their issues. I mean Sheldon describes it in a way that lets you think he's saying Amy makes him a better person, but then it's turned on his head when he tries to sell it as him making her a better person. And then Amy tries to compromise and suggest they made each other better and grow together. If that's supposed to be an indication of how we're going forward with those two then I'd welcome that with open arms.

Really well said (bold part) and I totally agree. I have loved past episodes where Sheldon is the "straight man" to Amy's (for lack of a better word) wacko (i.e. talking about her dead cousin's bridesmaids dresses, Amy drunk in the parking lot, when she's using science to increase his affection, and yes, even in the coitus ep where she's trying to seduce him on the couch). I would love if we get to see Amy acting excited/manic/awkward and Sheldon being the one to help teach her a lesson about whatever it is. That would remediate both the annoyed-woman-rolling-her-eyes-at-her-manchild-lover trope AND show personal growth for both characters. Let Sheldon play the mature savior for once, please. I would LOVE that.

Edited by MAH_B

4 hours ago, April said:

What's kind of striking about these kind of things - and that's where I'm totally with you in your frustration - is that situations like this could have been easily turned around by a few additional lines.

Like the scene with Amy and Meemaw starting to bond. I'm okay with the two ladies venting their frustration about having to put up with difficult partners - we all know it's true so no need to pretend otherwise. But instead of doing only that you could have easily have Meemaw say that for better or worse she loved Pop-pop very much and seeing how deeply Amy hurt Sheldon with the breakup she fears this will happen again. And that is when they should have had Amy proclaim her love for Sheldon and start listing all the positive sides she likes about him, and maybe even point out how she understands that Spiderman reference that Meemaw has no clue about even after decades. And then you can have the others interrupt and have Sheldon have his moment.

It would balance the whole thing a lot more and it wouldn't even be that much in terms of time. It's literally a few seconds between what we got and ~WE COULD HAVE HAD IT AAAAAALL~ mp3

As always, spot on.

giphy.gif

Things that crack me up though:

tumblr_o2373klEw61sp0cpeo2_500.gif

(Idek why I find this little move so funny but the longer I stare at it the funnier it gets omg)

tumblr_o23801Vtde1sp0cpeo6_500.gif

(Amy's giddiness is adorable and Sheldon's little look realising what she wants lol)

3 hours ago, April said:

Exactly what I was trying to say.... Only said so much better

2 hours ago, camelliayao said:

A thousand yes to this.

Once again, this relationship is solely about Sheldon. And did you notice the writers only give those touching lines to Sheldon? I was making a video about Shamy the other day, and I realized never once had Amy said something like "She's the dryer sheet of my heart".

In 915 (Oh I know we haven't watched the episode yet), when Sheldon says those heartfelt things, I think any normal person would comfort him a little bit or say something like "I'm sorry you went through all those things". However, Amy mostly just sits there quietly. It was so awkward.

A lot of us would like to see Amy get center stage just once, and get to be the one who shares some deep thoughts herself. I for one would like to know WHY she loves Sheldon. She says it, and has shown her love for him in the past with the things she has done for him, but this break up arc has me scratching my head. I would love to know why she returned to him unconditionally. What did you learn Amy? That Sheldon is more interesting and entertaining than the guys you went out with? If you were just being "silly" when you ended the relationship, does this mean that Sheldon's limitations when it comes to socialization are really okay with you after all? If commitment was at the root of it, what was it about the aquarium visit that erased that issue from your thoughts? WHAT, pray tell, is it about Sheldon that had you return to him? Is it something as simple as Sheldon being a "first love"?  Amy, in the end is love going to be enough? 

As someone who really likes the Amy character, I feel that 9 episodes of a break up never explored this side of things and I feel a bit cheated with regards to her development in this affair. It's the Sheldon show, and as a fan of Sheldon, too, I enjoy watching the changes we have seen him go through in season 8 & 9. I get it. Doesn't mean, though, that we as fans can't wish to see the Amy show once in a while.

That being said, I look forward to 9.15 and FWF, and the TR for 9.16 looks very promising as THE episode some of us have been waiting a long while for!

3 hours ago, April said:

This, yes please!!

14 hours ago, brilliantfool said:

so i'm rewatching the ring revelation scene, and some things i didn't notice the first time: 

- Sheldon looks sooo upset in this. Poor Moon Pie. I really feel for him : ( 

- Amy says 'who says if i even wanna be engaged to him' and 'and if i do , i don't need your hand me downs', and not once!, not for one second he takes that seriously, he knows right away she doesn't really mean it. I just love it.
And before the break up, he could have had the same reaction simply because he'd think he's such a great bf , who would ever not want him? But now we know that's not the case. He doubted himself during the break up, and he even voiced his fears of 'Amy marrying someone better than me' (9x4). But now not for a second he thinks she means it.. So it's not just Amy who knows now how much she means to him now, but also he knows how much HE means to her 

Yeah when I rewatched it this morning I watched carefully for his reaction and he really doesn't react...I don't think he believes for a second that she doesn't want to be engaged to him.  Of course he gets confirmation later, but I love that he didn't immediately look shocked, or despondent, or sad or anything like that...

5 hours ago, CuriousMeans said:

With that subtle nod and smirk, she's probably agreeing that he has given Amy enough already and there's no rush to marry the woman. It only seems fitting as Meemaw doesn't like Amy that much. 

Scratch that.. this is before he tells Amy to cool her jets.... now I'm confused as well. Guess I have to go watch the episode again! ( yes, I'll use it as an excuse to watch :icon_razz:)

Edited by kelliluvtbbt

6 hours ago, boys3allc said:

My biggest issue with this episode were the large parts if it that were left to our imagination. It is clear to me that by the time we return to Memaw and Amy's heart to heart that they have been talking awhile. At least long enough for Sheldon to run to Leonard and have them convince him to defend Amy.

So it is perfectly possible that Amy started out waxing poetic about her love for Sheldon.  Only to be met with Memaws disaaproval still, causing her to lash out with the "I'm his best shot" line we take such umbridge with.

Also I had built up my Meemaw up in my mind so much. That this Meemaw was a pale comparison. But really that is my own damn fault.

In the whole I liked the episode but... It just did not met my lofty expectations... I feel like it was a set up for something later on. Again just my opinion that this season has been about getting from boy to man. And here we see the most childlike Sheldon yet. Stand up to his beloved Memaw in favor if his even more loved Amy.

i don't know how the Sheldon of yore would have reacted. Methinks perhaps that he would have sided with his Grandma first though. Maybe told Amy she was being unreasonable? 

Side note.. My unspoiled hubby loved the episode... Laughed in all the right places... Admonished me for not being satisfied unless a unicorn would fart rainbows on it... Mildly interested casual fans must be their target audience

I love many of the things your husband says.  LOL