• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, FYI, the way to get over your Shamy obsession with no new taping reports and no new ep for a few days is definitely not watching this video on repeat and reading the loooooong "Concession" fanfic (by MindOutOfMine) in like a day and a half. Just sayin'. ;)

(video source: Miss Huntress)

4 minutes ago, MAH_B said:

So, FYI, the way to get over your Shamy obsession with no new taping reports and no new ep for a few days is definitely not watching this video on repeat and reading the loooooong "Concession" fanfic (by MindOutOfMine) in like a day and a half. Just sayin'. ;)

I love this video! <3 I have it bookmarked for when the mood strikes me. haha

21 minutes ago, April said:

Nope, next week.

Ok then... :( 
giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, MAH_B said:

Oh, the fanmade vídeos...it's Always nice to talk about the songs that match with their story. Currently it happens to me when I hear "Love on the brain" (no, it's not because it has 'brain' on the title :p

7 hours ago, wowbagger said:

one very very offensive criticism I have heard about the show is that it is 'nerd blackface'. I can't cosign that analogy, but it is sadly true that for a show that supposedly celebrates nerd culture, the show itself is sadly mean spirited about its nerds and their interests a lot of the time. I really really hope the show isn't going to keep doing the thing where e.g. Penny displays some rudimentary knowledge of Star Wars (how do I know it's rudimentary? Because I have never watched the original trilogy, and *I* get the goddamn references!) and is amazed at herself. Ugh. Stop it, show. Or when the girls are presented as being tolerantly contemptuous of their menfolk's geeky interests, while seldom being allowed geeky interests of their own. (sighs and rewatches The One Where The Girls Argued Over 'Thor'.)

The guys on the show rag on each other in the exact same way the guys on Friends did, their banter is exactly the same as any other group of pals and as a life long nerd, raising a house full of sci-fi/comic book fanatics we (in this house) are not offended by it in anyway :) 

I absolutely hate it when people accuse this show of being 'mean to geeks' or somehow faking geek culture to be cool. When this show started airing 'geek culture' was not cool. Batman T shirts were not considered fashionable at all and I honestly think this show was a big part of making so called 'nerdy stuff' mainstream.

I mean, just look at these dorks!:

BXCNQKmCUAAsPwm.thumb.jpg.d788cc40643715 56c3952f7205d_ScreenShot2016-02-16at20.5

...They aint faking nothing! 

The Big Bang theory started airing in 2007, in 2008 Marvel released the first Iron Man movie and suddenly wearing a T shirt with a comic book character on it was A-ok! Before the early 2000's it was pretty hard to get X Men T shirts in adult sizes, believe me I looked. :icon_neutral: 

When I was a teenager being caught watching a cartoon would get you ridiculed at school the next day, now my teenagers friends make fun of each other if they aren't up to date with the latest episode of Adventure Time. The world has gone mad and I love it! I used to have to hide my X-Files and Star Trek collections and now that is the sort of thing to be celebrated!

Last year I saw people out dressed as Shamy for Halloween, Shamy! Fans Cosplaying my fandom right here in my home town! If you google it you get some pretty cool ones and there a thousands of hits for 'shamy halloween costumes :) : 

56c39936ed566_ScreenShot2016-02-16at21.3

I also saw groups of friends all dressed as the flash and home made Doppler effect costumes :rofl: This show has become a part of mainstream culture and that's gonna attract haters. By all means these people can attack it for being un-funny, humour is subjective what I find funny others don't and that is fine but accusing this show of faking geek-ery is just hilarious to me! 

I do agree that the show is sadly failing girl geeks though :( but this show is failing girls in general imo! Bill Prady's wife (above) is in a Star Trek uniform there, Mayim is a self confessed geek these writers must realise that girls who play D&D, watch Sci-Fi and read comics exist? surely! :( 

1 hour ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

The guys on the show rag on each other in the exact same way the guys on Friends did, their banter is exactly the same as any other group of pals and as a life long nerd, raising a house full of sci-fi/comic book fanatics we (in this house) are not offended by it in anyway :) 

I absolutely hate it when people accuse this show of being 'mean to geeks' or somehow faking geek culture to be cool. When this show started airing 'geek culture' was not cool. Batman T shirts were not considered fashionable at all and I honestly think this show was a big part of making so called 'nerdy stuff' mainstream.

BXCNQKmCUAAsPwm.thumb.jpg.d788cc40643715 56c3952f7205d_ScreenShot2016-02-16at20.5

The Big Bang theory started airing in 2007, in 2008 Marvel released the first Iron Man movie and suddenly wearing a T shirt with a comic book character on it was A-ok! Before the early 2000's it was pretty hard to get X Men T shirts in adult sizes, believe me I looked. :icon_neutral: 

When I was a teenager being caught watching a cartoon would get you ridiculed at school the next day, now my teenagers friends make fun of each other if they aren't up to date with the latest episode of Adventure Time. The world has gone mad and I love it! I used to have to hide my X-Files and Star Trek collections and now that is the sort of thing to be celebrated!

Last year I saw people out dressed as Shamy for Halloween, Shamy! Fans Cosplaying my fandom right here in my home town! If you google it you get some pretty cool ones and there a thousands of hits for 'shamy halloween costumes :) : 

I also saw groups of friends all dressed as the flash and home made Doppler effect costumes :rofl: This show has become a part of mainstream culture and that's gonna attract haters. By all means these people can attack it for being un-funny, humour is subjective what I find funny others don't and that is fine but accusing this show of faking geek-ery is just hilarious to me! 

I do agree that the show is sadly failing girl geeks though :( but this show is failing girls in general imo! Bill Prady's wife (above) is in a Star Trek uniform there, Mayim is a self confessed geek these writers must realise that girls who play D&D, watch Sci-Fi and read comics exist? surely! :( 

I'd love it if they bring on a new girl for Raj who likes comics, and gaming, and their sci fi interests, but who isn't necessarily brainy like everyone is. And she could serve as kind of a nerd translator between the guys and girls, but also learn new things for herself since she's not a scientist like the rest of the group (with the exception of Penny). 

1 hour ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

And this certainly wouldn't happen
http://www.clipfish.de/special/lets-dance/video/4068086/lets-dance-2014-dirk-moritz-wagt-sich-an-den-jive/
Althought this Amy reminds me more of Cosima from 'Orphan Black' than from Amy herself, it's too bad I never saw the cast saying anything about this tribute to Shamy. :( 
Germans from the forum, did they won?

"I got hot sauce in my bag, swag"

swag.jpg

6 hours ago, MAH_B said:

Sigh...happy jlove...can't stop grinnng now...

3 hours ago, Ranger Rosa said:

http://www.clipfish.de/special/lets-dance/video/4068086/lets-dance-2014-dirk-moritz-wagt-sich-an-den-jive/
Althought this Amy reminds me more of Cosima from 'Orphan Black' than from Amy herself, it's too bad I never saw the cast saying anything about this tribute to Shamy. :( 

swag.jpg

Oh my gosh that's hilarious!

Edited by jlove

5 hours ago, Ranger Rosa said:

swag.jpg

No, they didn't win. Not sure about the results they got fot this one dance, but overall as far as the whole competition which lasts several weeks is concerned they finished 8th place out of 10.

In Platonic, When Sheldon told Amy he thought they should just be friends, I was happy with that and was looking forward to watching them interact as just friends again, then we got something amazing with them getting back together and coitus and I can see Amy has a lot more confidence now with Sheldon and I'm enjoying what we are being given again :)

12 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Oh, sure. I guess what I meant was that it is very frequent for the show to have the gang discourse on some aspect of nerd culture and to basically have the show tap-dance across the screen and say 'HAHAHA CHECK THESE LOSERS OUT I WONDER WHAT THE NON PATHETIC PEOPLE ARE DOING TONIGHT!' Sheldon is almost the only one of the nerds who is confident on his nerdiness consistently and makes no bones or apologies for his interests. And the failure of the girl geeks is, in my view, part and parcel of both the failing of female characters (I agree) AND the apologetic relationship the show has towards its nerd characters. The girls represent 'normality' to the show, while the guys more or less represent the exotic, freakish alternative. Both extremes are false and dehumanising to all concerned.

which is why I like moments like the girls' getting into the dynamics of 'thor'. They're dissecting and analysing minutiae (which is what I REALLY think of as the hallmark of geekiness) for a long time without being marvelled at for the OMG RIDICULOUSNESS of what is happening. It's funny, yes, but up until the end you don't have one of the characters basically turn to the fourth wall and say 'CHECK US OUT! LADYPEOPLE, TALKIN' COMICS!' Even penny gets into the act! It was so great. Almost every other time someone is calling attention to how strange it is for women (i.e. The Normals) to be interested in geekery. And even that episode begins with a gallery of geek stereotypes (yes, they exist but that is not all there is to geekery) in the comic book store, gazing at the women as though seeing visions.

and also, isn't the geekery the gang gets into......not that geeky for the most part? Around seasons 2 to 4, i think the gang was actually dissecting fairly detailed and at least intermediate-knowledge-needing comic book continuity and had riffs such as 'rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock', but otherwise it is mostly stuff like star wars, star trek, game of thrones, x-men, lotr? Isn't that stuff really properly mainstream now? And already was when the gang co-opted it (though of course causality cannot be attributed properly)?

Edited by wowbagger

11 hours ago, wowbagger said:

and also, isn't the geekery the gang gets into......not that geeky for the most part? Around seasons 2 to 4, i think the gang was actually dissecting fairly detailed and at least intermediate-knowledge-needing comic book continuity and had riffs such as 'rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock', but otherwise it is mostly stuff like star wars, star trek, game of thrones, x-men, lotr? Isn't that stuff really properly mainstream now? And already was when the gang co-opted it (though of course causality cannot be attributed properly)?

That's what I'm saying, none of this is considered sub-normal anymore. Asda (the UK branch of Walmart for non UK'ers) sells Superman T-shirts (adult sizes), that's about as mainstream as it gets lol! 

The most popular TV shows on television right now are The Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead - a comedy about scientists, a show based on fantasy novels and a show based on comic books! The geeks have finally inherited the earth :wink: :crazypilot:

Card games are even becoming mainstream now, I'm not sure what there is left to 'geek out' about tbh? 

The lack of sub-normal interests in the girl half of big bang upsets me which is why the idea of Emily not coming back upsets me a bit, she wasn't into comic book stuff but her interests weren't exactly mainstream and I enjoyed that :)