[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

4 minutes ago, Susana Alcira said:

IMO, Mayim and Melissa are going to write something together, an script or a plot for a movie or a show. I repeat IMO!

Our girls working together on another project would certainly be great!

I love how Mayim is supporting Melissa's movie and I enjoyed her interview from earlier today. I wonder if the surprise could also be something for Grok?

• Like 7

Two posts were moved to the Fan Fiction Forum.  The title of the thread is The Big Bear Elucidation.  Please do not post link to fan fiction in the Shamy forum.  This forum is for supportive discussion of Shamy.  For fan fiction, we have a fan fiction forum.  

Pictures of actors or interactions from Paleyfest should go into either the Paleyfest thread or the specific actor or actors thread.  A couple of posts were hidden as the pictures were already up in both the Paleyfest and actor threads.

@2L344 & @camelliayao

Both your accounts of the finished 9x19 ep make me really really looking forward to it - well, to be precise, more than I was because from the TR I was already digging the the whole thing. But it's great to hear that the finished ep holds up to the expectations. I've been very happy with how respectful many of the stories this season deal with quite real and difficult issues and how sympathetic they approach the characters having to confront those situations and grow from that experience. And it seems like this one is no exception. As someone who's totally into character development and all that jazz this makes me so happy you have no idea! <3

Edited by April
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

Lol sorry for the mini report on the episode lol, Cam's post just reminded me of that episode we previewed! 

lol don't worry. It just makes me more and more excited to see it. Funny you mention the Spock reaction because I wanted to write down in my earlier comment how this feels like a similarly heavy episode but then thought to point out that parallel later after I actually saw. But I didn't even know there would be that kind of intense moment in it - HOLY SHIT!

The one thing I don't get, and I discussed it with brilliantfool and rf1013 afterwards, is why the writers decided to introduce the hoarding plot to begin with. I mean, Sheldon has enough issues to deal with and work through and is already considered challenged in a lot of ways, so why add yet another challenge for him to deal with? Any thoughts?

I think it has to do with the fact that it had to be something that nobody else knew about and that was a really big reveal to Amy. I don't think it would have had the same impact if it was something everybody else already knew about or would have easily suspected, like for example some other phobia or whatever. This type of secret hoarding also fits his OCD and personality so it's also quite believable.

And furthermore, NDA or not*, opening up to Amy about something like that shows a great deal of trust and vulnerability. And I think that is the point of this episode - not that Amy is there to help him with his issues as some sort of therapist or whatever, but rather that she's a person he can trust with stuff like that and seek out for support. They're in a relationship and she's his partner and confidant. I think it was @jlove (correct me if I'm wrong) who said many pages ago how Sheldon needs to learn to trust those people around him and I think this is part of this journey.

(*I mean, that kind of thing is essentially meaningless. What would he do if Amy told Leonard about it? Sue her?? lol It's really just for his own comfort and obsession about contracts.)

Just to add: I think it's also an excellent visual story telling device. We all know Sheldon is a mess and has a gazillion issues but it's always hard to make that kind of stuff tangible and seeing certain reactions to Sheldon as a character some people simply can't grasp what he's dealing with. But when you have a storage full of old stuff it's a brilliant way to show it. Just like Amy you can have that kind of reaction and simply being overwhelmed by the whole issue because it's just such a big physical thing suddenly. And that's a great way to draw a parallel how Sheldon must often feel.

Edited by April
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, 2L344 said:

IThe one thing I don't get, and I discussed it with brilliantfool and rf1013 afterwards, is why the writers decided to introduce the hoarding plot to begin with. I mean, Sheldon has enough issues to deal with and work through and is already considered challenged in a lot of ways, so why add yet another challenge for him to deal with? Any thoughts?

Thank you for the details, they episode is going to be amazing, and it's fortunate, since we have to wait so long for it! Besides what April said, I think a possible explanation for it could be reinforcing some of the aspects of their making up. After 9x09, Amy wanted Sheldon back quirks and all, no conditions asked, since she realized that he was the person she wanted. And she was allowed to have that epiphany because Sheldon trusted her when she propose to go together to the aquarium, even if he thought it could be a very weird situation. Here she sort of expresses the same feeling again. No matter what Sheldon's issues might be, as long as he is going to trust her and tell her his difficulties, she is going to be there, without judging him, because he is the person she wants. It had to be a "new" expression of his OCD, because in order to have this dynamic unfolded, there should have been trust on his side and acceptance on her side, and that for me would have been more evident with something nobody knew. Hoarding is something you don't expect from Sheldon, because involves being "messy" and being attached to things. Those are stuff difficult to admit for Sheldon, but he decided to be honest and that was a good decision.

• Like 8

I´m somehow not surprised that Sheldon has a warehouse where he keeps everything that is precious for him.

He has lost members of his family in the early years of his life, which affected him a lot, so maybe that´s the reason why he keeps everything, because he can´t let them go, because he wants to have at least one thing in his life, that he can make sure, that wouldn´t leave him.

A great proof for Sheldon´s fear to loose someone, is the episode where Leonard has this nose surgery and Sheldon is frightened that something could happen to him, so he waits in the waiting hall for him, but as soon as the earthquake begins, he panics and wants to go to the operating room, to see if Leonard is ok and runs against the glass door.

Edited by Desdemona

1 hour ago, mirs1 said:

Thank you for the details, they episode is going to be amazing, and it's fortunate, since we have to wait so long for it! Besides what April said, I think a possible explanation for it could be reinforcing some of the aspects of their making up. After 9x09, Amy wanted Sheldon back quirks and all, no conditions asked, since she realized that he was the person she wanted. And she was allowed to have that epiphany because Sheldon trusted her when she propose to go together to the aquarium, even if he thought it could be a very weird situation. Here she sort of expresses the same feeling again. No matter what Sheldon's issues might be, as long as he is going to trust her and tell her his difficulties, she is going to be there, without judging him, because he is the person she wants. It had to be a "new" expression of his OCD, because in order to have this dynamic unfolded, there should have been trust on his side and acceptance on her side, and that for me would have been more evident with something nobody knew. Hoarding is something you don't expect from Sheldon, because involves being "messy" and being attached to things. Those are stuff difficult to admit for Sheldon, but he decided to be honest and that was a good decision.

Oh after reading this, I have to add--his storage room is meticulously kept, shelving and tables with everything neatly stacked and organized. It put my own garage to shame lol.

3 hours ago, April said:

lol don't worry. It just makes me more and more excited to see it. Funny you mention the Spock reaction because I wanted to write down in my earlier comment how this feels like a similarly heavy episode but then thought to point out that parallel later after I actually saw. But I didn't even know there would be that kind of intense moment in it - HOLY SHIT!

I think it has to do with the fact that it had to be something that nobody else knew about and that was a really big reveal to Amy. I don't think it would have had the same impact if it was something everybody else already knew about or would have easily suspected, like for example some other phobia or whatever. This type of secret hoarding also fits his OCD and personality so it's also quite believable.

And furthermore, NDA or not*, opening up to Amy about something like that shows a great deal of trust and vulnerability. And I think that is the point of this episode - not that Amy is there to help him with his issues as some sort of therapist or whatever, but rather that she's a person he can trust with stuff like that and seek out for support. They're in a relationship and she's his partner and confidant. I think it was @jlove (correct me if I'm wrong) who said many pages ago how Sheldon needs to learn to trust those people around him and I think this is part of this journey.

(*I mean, that kind of thing is essentially meaningless. What would he do if Amy told Leonard about it? Sue her?? lol It's really just for his own comfort and obsession about contracts.)

Just to add: I think it's also an excellent visual story telling device. We all know Sheldon is a mess and has a gazillion issues but it's always hard to make that kind of stuff tangible and seeing certain reactions to Sheldon as a character some people simply can't grasp what he's dealing with. But when you have a storage full of old stuff it's a brilliant way to show it. Just like Amy you can have that kind of reaction and simply being overwhelmed by the whole issue because it's just such a big physical thing suddenly. And that's a great way to draw a parallel how Sheldon must often feel.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense!

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2016 at 7:34 AM, Susana Alcira said:

:icon_razz: IMO, a BIG SHAMY episode will came after the Paley Fest, 21 or 22. I feel it....

Hi i big shamy fan do you think there will be a big shamy episode in episode 21 or 22 

Oh, I know it's all been said before, but it was so beautiful! Funny too, with the rest of the guys at the Movie with Wil Wheaton! So sweet how they were so nervous together, and I love how Amy raced down the stairs to get waxed after the girls told her! It must have been so important to Sheldon that this happened - he wouldn't have missed that movie for anything but her, and Proton's appearance shows it all came from him. Lovely episode - really enjoyed it!

• Like 9

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic