[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

11 hours ago, Esteben Feynman said:

Quick question. How do you all think Sheldon would feel if Amy dumped all of her emotional baggage on him? Would he react the same way? I know Amy had a lot, probably almost as much as Sheldon but the writers choose to focus on latter.

I think he'd be immediately supportive. Maybe the old Sheldon would have been dismissive at first, out of habit, but there's no way Sheldon wouldn't pay attention to her problem now. I just wish Amy would talk to him about her father (~undying wish).

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Judith said:

I think he'd be immediately supportive. Maybe the old Sheldon would have been dismissive at first, out of habit, but there's no way Sheldon wouldn't pay attention to her problem now. I just wish Amy would talk to him about her father (~undying wish).

Preaching to the choir, sister!!! Why didn't anybody ask the writers something about Amy's father in the panels they have been up to now? So weird; I really hope sooner or later we get a simple clue about him, I can't believe the writers will neglect that point in Amy's life forever...Anyway, I'd also like to see a plot in which Amy is facing personal or professional issues not related to her relationship and Sheldon is supporting her. The closest we came to that was back in Season 5, in the episode Bernie and Penny went wed-shopping without Amy. On that occasion (apart from their first negotiation\cuddling) he was really nice with her, even if he had clearly no idea of what could be possibly bothering her...I wonder how supportive he could be now, after so much has changed in his approach to life and emotions. Not to mention that such an episode may be good for Amy's character as well, I'd like her in a not heavily Shamy-centric plot once in a while...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 6

If they were to get married then this secret would have come out eventually, so perhaps it was better for it come out now. They say marriage is about being honest and having no secrets between each other (though how true is that really?) and this by the looks of it is Sheldon's big secret.

No clue what the writers have planned but if there are future episodes where Amy has some secrets or issues to get off her chest (maybe some unresolved issues with her parents that Sheldon can help her with?) then I think it's likely a marriage is on the cards. Maybe she doesn't have anything to hide but I think it could make good storytelling if they manage to help each other with their problems and bring them even closer. There would be some real symmetry there.

I would imagine for Sheldon it would lift a big burden that someone else knows about his problem especially if that other person is willing to help him overcome it if and when he is ready.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

Preaching to the choir, sister!!! Why didn't anybody ask the writers something about Amy's father in the panels they have been up to now? So weird; I really hope sooner or later we get a simple clue about him, I can't believe the writers will neglect that point in Amy's life forever...Anyway, I'd also like to see a plot in which Amy is facing personal or professional issues not related to her relationship and Sheldon is supporting towards her. The closest we came to that was back in Season 5, in the episode Bernie and Penny went wed-shopping without Amy. On that occasion (apart from their first negotiation\cuddling) he was really nice with her, even if he had clearly no idea of what could be possibly bothering her...I wonder how supportive he could be now, after so much has changed in his approach to life and emotions. Not to mention that such an episode may be good for Amy's character as well, I'd like her in a not heavily Shamy-centric plot once in a while...

Yes, poor guy was sympathetic even back then! He did show discomfort at her crying first, but he got over it pretty quickly. I think he'd be even better to handle heavy emotions now. He's always shown willingness to listen to her problems and try to fix them so there shouldn't be a difference now, especially if it doesn't involve him.

Hoping against hope here that we'll learn something about her dad at some point. Maybe close to the wedding date they'll decide to delve into her past a little. For the time being though,an Amy-plot would be enough for me (I think it's too late for this to happen in this season though).

• Like 5

I wonder how Amy's mom perceives the reconciliation with Sheldon, is she happy with it or indifferent? I assume happy since Amy was reluctant to tell her about the break up, which means she wouldve been upset knowing Amy ended the relationship.

I assume Amy told mom about the reconciliation. Im curious as to what kind of talks they have these days...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

I wonder how Amy's mom perceives the reconciliation with Sheldon, is she happy with it or indifferent? I assume happy since Amy was reluctant to tell her about the break up, which means she wouldve been upset knowing Amy ended the relationship.

I assume Amy told mom about the reconciliation. Im curious as to what kind of talks they have these days...

Given what we know about their relationship (which isn't great): 

Amy: Sheldon and I engaged in sexual intercourse—in other news one my lab monkeys died—okay good talk gotta go. 

Mom: *stares at the phone in shocked/confused silence* 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

From the few things we know about her, I'm under the impression that for Amy's mother it was\is very important that Amy is in a "serious" relationship, leading eventually to marriage. She was very strict when Amy was a teen, but later on she insisted upon her dating at least once a year, even if it was clear that at the time Amy had no inclination nor "social skills" to date someone. Amy herself asked Sheldon to lie to her mother saying that they were in a relationship to stop her insistence on the subject, so she was really bothering her for finding a boyfriend. And seriously, we have to admit that, quirks aside (and for me Amy's mother is willing to close both eyes on those quirks), Sheldon is  a good catch: he is handsome, he has a good job and he will likely be a full professor at some point in his life...All things considered, I guess Amy really had a hard time with her mother during the break up; and now she will be really relieved that everything is ok between them. Now, I guess that their conversations these days are something like "When will he ask you to get married?" "Why hasn't he asked you to get married yet?"* Basically, the questions the average Shamy shipper asks herself\himself nowadays, LOL!! 

*I don't think Amy told her mother about the ring, maybe they are not so close and she would have taken the news the wrong way...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, April said:

Now, is someone willing to volunteer and poke Molaro with a metaphorical stick asking him about Amy's parents at the next public Q&A? You know, just gently to indicate there's some interest here??? lol

Please, guys, do it! And, if you are so kind in asking that question, remember to be VERY VERY specific; at the last SDCC someone asked the more generic question "Will we ever gonna know something about Amy's family?" and, as we all know it, it did us no good...We need answers, LOL!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

Sheldon being traditional and asking Amy's parents in terms of a proposal blessing might have been a good way to explore Amy's relationship with her parents. But we all know he was likely going to propose via Skype lol at the end of season 8.

Good thing about the breakup is that I don't think he will propose that way now if he indeed does. So many possibilities on that front on how he would pop the question, whether in a Sheldonesque way or something different.

• Like 1

Speaking of proposal........How do you guys think it will happen?  He always needs a little push to move forward. I personally don't think he will suddenly get on his knee and propose. I think there will be something that happens that will make him decide to do it. But in my mind, I can't come up with any scenario that leads to the big proposal, esp by the season's end .

Any specific ideas or scenarios?

• Like 7

Just now, heres2U said:

Speaking of proposal........How do you guys think it will happen?  He always needs a little push to move forward. I personally don't think he will suddenly get on his knee and propose. I think there will be something that happens that will make him decide to do it. But in my mind, I can't come up with any scenario that leads to the big proposal, esp by the season's end .

He has needed a push in the last but I think that now he will decide on his own, without telling anybody. It'll be a true suprise on the show, out of left field. I think that we'll see a change in living arrangements before a proposal, which will be this season. :)

• Like 4

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM, 2L344 said:

Judging from her wanting Amy to date at least once a year, she must be delighted that her daughter isn't going to die a spinster. In general, I imagine their relationship to be caring (sort of...) but distant. So Amy goes to her house (like she did in Thanksgiving) for holidays if she doesn't have anywhere else to go and they might have the occasional talk on the phone about how her relationship with Sheldon is going - because that's her main concern - but I imagine their talks to be kind of distant and Amy just telling her as little as she can get away with. I imagine they only had each other for a long time, so there must be a begrudging love between them - especially if you take into account how strict her mother was with her and how she sheltered her - in a bad way.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM, heres2U said:

I don't think there will be a proposal this season. I'm not even sure there will be one because we keep talking about it like it's a sure thing, but now that Amy knows about it - and it wasn't even due to Sheldon deciding to tell her - maybe the writers will decide to do something completely different and surprise us. I have no idea what though :D

I'll say though, if he decides to propose I'm 99,9% sure he won't need a push. He certainly didn't need the other time(s?), so I don't think he would need one now.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, heres2U said:

I'd like to have Meamaw involved but not as the voluntary "push". Like something bad (but not that bad) happens to her and Amy saves the day, gaining her genuine total support. Sheldon seeing this can't help but propose seeing that his Meamaw and Amy finally are actually getting along.

I've read a fanfiction once where Meamaw has a brain stroke and Amy, as a neuroscientist is here to help with her expertise. Except in this fanfiction there was no "history" between the two women.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Arduina said:

I'd like to have Meamaw involved but not as the voluntary "push". Like something bad (but not that bad) happens to her and Amy saves the day, gaining her genuine total support. Sheldon seeing this can't help but propose seeing that his Meamaw and Amy finally are actually getting along.

I've read a fanfiction once where Meamaw has a brain stroke and Amy, as a neuroscientist is here to help with her expertise. Except in this fanfiction there was no "history" between the two women.

Do you have a link or title for this fic? I need to know because of reasons...

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Just so long as he doesn't propose during sex.

Not only is that "some weak tea, dude" (you need to read that in Raj's voice), but they can't spend the rest of their lives, permanently joined at the genitals. :icon_biggrin: 

Because her ovaries latched on and refuse to let go? :icon_redface:

• Like 2

RE - Engagement:

I have no idea how the show will do it but I agree with others that I don't think Sheldon will need a push but just does it whenever he feels the time is right.

I've posted something like this before in this thread many moons ago (sorry for being repetitive) but I still like the idea that Sheldon is planning something nice to propose, like a romantic day out with Amy (because he's that kind of big ol' hippie now!) giving him several opportunities to pop the question, but in keeping it with the "Sheldon gets interrupted when he wants to say something important about relationships" thing he gets accidentally interrupted several times by whatever funny B/C/D-plots the rest of the gang is involved. And not gonna lie, I found the way Sheldon got increasingly frustrated during the Valentine's FWF hysterical so I'd love it if the whole scenario would go down like that until he's utterly defeated and exhausted by the gang's shenanigans. But then after a long day he'd end up in a trivial and domestic setting with Amy, like talking about their day over a nice cup of tea, and it's only then that suddenly everything seems perfect and he's able to ask her...

Okay, is ridiculously specific so it certainly won't happen that way. lol

• Like 9