The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

What happened to the discussion thread?  I was going to respond to someone but the thread got closed.  How weird is that?  

Anyways, they were talking about how the writers didn't want the audience to feel sorry for Sheldon during their break up but they obviously failed.  But honestly, to me I think it was more of a successful than it was an actual failure because you felt something like that towards him.  I don't know, may be I'm just stating the obvious.

14 minutes ago, snow*flower said:

What happened to the discussion thread?  I was going to respond to someone but the thread got closed.  How weird is that?  

People got a little off track, I think that Tensor is doing some tidying up.

55 minutes ago, snow*flower said:

I noticed that too. Recently, people is getting too rageful, stressed by minor things here. Stay cool!

• Like 4

I finally watched the episode. FYI, loved it... but moving along... I see you're all posting all these beautiful things about Amy.. a part of me wonders if this is just a way to get to 1000 pages... hmm. LOL.. I think the reason I like Amy is because the show didn't have a relatable female character up until she arrived. Penny wasn't and still isn't relatable in my honest opinion. How many of us can say we moved to LA with the hopes of becoming an actress? Amy is different, cos she worked hard and achieved a lot of excellent things even though she didn't have a lot of friends or popularity. That's what I like about her. I think she's the best female character on television in that regard. You don't see a lot of intelligent, hard working women who also has a lot of confidence and keeps a level head in situations. She's cool like that. As for looks, sure she doesn't dress the best, but the fact that she owns it is more impressive. I never thought I'd like the character as much as I do now. I think the precise episode I fell inlove with her was the Zazzy Substitution. Mind you, I think that's the one Sheldon fell in love with her too... 

Anyway.. I think this season was a sucess from a Shamy shipper pov. Kissing and holding and sharing secrets and well, you know...

It wouldn't have been half as fun without you awesome nerds. I swear the day I found this thread, was the day I found like minded people for the first time in my life. 

• Like 7

Anyone seen Girl Meets World?  I think Farkle and Smackle are the teen versions of Sheldon and Amy.   I wish Sheldon and Amy wore sweatshirts like these on the show. 

latest?cb=20151205231059latest?cb=20151205224818latest?cb=20151205235502

1.  Just like Shamy,  Farkle and Smackle are cute when they think no one is watching.

2. Just like Amy, Smackle gets complete giddy around Farkle. 

3.  Just like Shamy,  they look at the world as if everyone else is all insane. 

Edited by shamymania
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, shamymania said:

Anyone seen Girl Meets World?  I think Farkle and Smackle are the teen versions of Sheldon and Amy.   I wish Sheldon and Amy wore sweatshirts like these on the show. 

1.  Just like Shamy,  Farkle and Smackle are cute when they think no one is watching.

My nephew was on Boy Meets World and had a role in one of the Girl Meets World episodes! Never watched it much though, only when he was on...the show was a bit young for me lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2L344 said:

My nephew was on Boy Meets World and had a role in one of the Girl Meets World episodes! Never watched it much though, only when he was on...the show was a bit young for me lol

Who is your nephew and what character did he play?  Way too old for Girl Meets World,  but I still love Boy Meets World. 

This season has flown by! How is there only 2 tapings left! I wonder what they have planned...

• Like 7

8 hours ago, nickelette424 said:

Who is your nephew and what character did he play?  Way too old for Girl Meets World,  but I still love Boy Meets World. 

jb gaynor he played "Tommy" lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MsRajeshFowlerCooper said:

http://spp.sagepub.com/content/7/4/295

A recent study shows that once a week is the ideal amount for couples to have sex.  Sounds like the kind of thing Amy could use to start a conversation with Sheldon about the frequency of their coitus.  

YES or in my headcannon: 

since Amy doesn't want to pressure him, when they have that conversation she'll offer maybe once a month

and then sheldon will bring up that study and counteroffer once a week

I mean...you can't argue with scientific facts :wink:

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MsRajeshFowlerCooper said:

http://spp.sagepub.com/content/7/4/295

A recent study shows that once a week is the ideal amount for couples to have sex.  Sounds like the kind of thing Amy could use to start a conversation with Sheldon about the frequency of their coitus.  

In my opinion, I think Amy should flat out tell Sheldon that she doesn't want to wait till her next birthday while drinking tea and wait to see what he responds. (This might bode well for Sheldon who might be thinking that because of his 'verbal' agreement, he has no right to ask for something like that... he might think it would be  a breach of contract :p

But a study like this may also help 'break the ice' ... but then again, we have nooo idea what the writers have had them doing off screen either. 

• Like 1

Well she's happy at the moment and that's all that matters. She's such a strong willed, straight talking, honest character that if she believes she wants more then she will likely push for it. I think she knows how big a deal it was for Sheldon to make that commitment so she won't push for a good while. If she has to wait until her next birthday and she is happy with that then fair enough.

My prediction is that it will happen again before her next birthday either glaringly obviously so or by a subtle hint. They've done the big drama event, I actually would prefer if it's addressed again in a more casual, more normal everyday couple way of addressing it.

Edited by Jonny83
Rambled, didn't make much sense
  • Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, snow*flower said:

Anyways, they were talking about how the writers didn't want the audience to feel sorry for Sheldon during their break up but they obviously failed.  But honestly, to me I think it was more of a successful than it was an actual failure because you felt something like that towards him.  I don't know, may be I'm just stating the obvious.

I don't know that anyone can say that the writers didn't want the viewers to feel sorry for Sheldon.  I didn't read anything about it in the Discussion thread, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what the conversation was about, but I never thought that was their intention.

I feel like Amy was being shown as frustrated with their relationship, which is understandable, and perhaps confused about whether or not she really wanted to move on from him or whatever.  And I think that they were showing how Sheldon was stunned and angered (because anger is a stronger emotional position than hurt), but also confused.  Confused about his own feelings and how the prospect of losing Amy was really affecting him, confused about his friends' advice to "move on" from her, and all that.

But I don't think the episodes were designed to make the viewers take sides with anyone.  Since no new characters were introduced or anything, and both the girls and the guys were siding with their gender comrades, and no one was telling anyone they were wholly wrong or whatever, I don't think the point was to show either of them as completely in the wrong.

I think it's a complicated relationship, intentionally or unintentionally on the part of the writers, and one could find positives and negatives in either character.

JMO

• Like 6

On 4/11/2016 at 10:56 PM, shamymania said:

Aw..that kid is so cute. He kinda looks like Sheldon, except for the blonde hair. They are both cute.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995

1 hour ago, phantagrae said:

I don't know that anyone can say that the writers didn't want the viewers to feel sorry for Sheldon.  I didn't read anything about it in the Discussion thread, so maybe I'm misunderstanding what the conversation was about, but I never thought that was their intention.

I feel like Amy was being shown as frustrated with their relationship, which is understandable, and perhaps confused about whether or not she really wanted to move on from him or whatever.  And I think that they were showing how Sheldon was stunned and angered (because anger is a stronger emotional position than hurt), but also confused.  Confused about his own feelings and how the prospect of losing Amy was really affecting him, confused about his friends' advice to "move on" from her, and all that.

But I don't think the episodes were designed to make the viewers take sides with anyone.  Since no new characters were introduced or anything, and both the girls and the guys were siding with their gender comrades, and no one was telling anyone they were wholly wrong or whatever, I don't think the point was to show either of them as completely in the wrong.

I think it's a complicated relationship, intentionally or unintentionally on the part of the writers, and one could find positives and negatives in either character.

JMO

I felt sorry for both of them at different times during the season, perhaps felt slightly more sorry for Sheldon at one point probably during the Spock Resonance as that was when he blew up in a major way in terms of his emotions. But then we had the Platonic Permutation which is a heartbreaking scene for Amy.

I can see why some may have felt they leaned towards Sheldon more as it did look like he was hurting more early on. Amy tried to move on albeit a bit reluctantly at times, it wasn't until later in the season she started to crack a bit.

I thought overall there was blame to be had on both sides. But it appears to have made them so much stronger so maybe it was the right thing that it happened.

"Complicated Relationship" probably the best way to sum it up. But they will be good in the end, there will be some more bumps along the way but they will be fine.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

I felt sorry for both of them at different times during the season, perhaps felt slightly more sorry for Sheldon at one point probably during the Spock Resonance as that was when he blew up in a major way in terms of his emotions. But then we had the Platonic Permutation which a heartbreaking scene for Amy.

I can see why some may have felt they leaned towards Sheldon more as it did look like he was hurting more early on. Amy tried to move on albeit a bit reluctantly at times, it wasn't until later in the season she started to crack a bit.

I thought overall there was blame to be had on both sides. But it appears to have made them so much stronger so maybe it was the right thing that it happened.

"Complicated Relationship" probably the best way to sum it up. But they will be good in the end, there will be some more bumps along the way but they will be fine.

I agree. Personally I leaned to feeling more bad for Sheldon because the break up seemed to have come from left field given all the progress the couple made in season 8, there were other times when it wouldve made more sense if in fact the break up was even necessary. And since Amy initiated it, she got some of my blame. 

I also feel the story was told from Sheldon's perspective more than Amy's, so it was natural for a lot of us to feel his angst more. When Amy tried to return to Sheldon "status quo" it felt like she had jumped the gun and it was all for nothing. 

Like you said, theyre in a much better place now and things will be smoother even when there are bumps in the road!

• Like 1

I think each episode from 8.24 and onward had us purposefully feel various things ( anger, pity,sorry,  etc) based on what message the writers were trying to convey.

In 9.01, Sheldon came off as an insensitive ass but in 9.07( the Spock episode), they portrayed him as hurt and vulnerable. In the same respects, in the Thanksgiving episode, we were feeling sorry for Amy for being turned down like that but in 8.24, we were pretty flabbergasted by  her request to break up. 

The same  applies to the other characters too...it's all what the writers want us to feel in each individual scene or even episode. 

I'm ok with all of it. ;)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Aw..that kid is so cute. He kinda looks like Sheldon, except for the blonde hair. They are both cute.

Yeah, I thought so too. The actor could play a young Sheldon.  The character even has some of Sheldon's quirks:  social awkwardness, aversion to touching;  genius level IQ, arrogance, but he is also loyal and a good friend.  In fact, I think the character is a semi-rip-off of Sheldon Cooper. .  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kelliluvtbbt said:

In 9.01, Sheldon came off as an insensitive ass but in 9.07( the Spock episode), they portrayed him as hurt and vulnerable. In the same respects, in the Thanksgiving episode, we were feeling sorry for Amy for being turned down like that but in 8.24, we were pretty flabbergasted by  her request to break up. 

I'm ok with all of it. ;)

To be fair, all she asked for was a break at first. She just reached her breaking point, that's humane.

For me the break-up was something I could see coming a mile away. I remember watching previous seasons and thinking "She's going to have it up to here one day and break-up with him and when that happens that will be the final shake Sheldon needs". And if you want my opinion, honestly, served him right.

So, the break/break-up didn't come as a surprise to me. I know there was a lot of progress in season 8 but I'm not so sure that it was as lovey dovey a season as it's described sometimes. For instance, I remember in the "We got an 8.2, trust me you're happy" ep she looked so sad at Sheldon's dismissal. I felt really bad for her there. I mean, WAY to miss the point, Sheldon...

I wouldn't correlate seeing more of Sheldon's hurt with the writers intending to assign blame in a certain way. Amy is a secondary character, after all. And yes, she did hurt Sheldon by asking for a break/breaking up with him. Yes, Sheldon did push the situation from break to break up with his stupid behaviour. Both of them did hurtful things to each other but they're only human. In the Spock ep we saw devastated Sheldon, then it was Amy's turn in the Thanksgiving ep. Then we had Sheldon admit that the break-up did them good because (to paraphrase) it helped him evolve.

On one hand, we have Sheldon who can be clueless and selfish. On the other hand, we have Amy who can be impulsive and irritable. I think these characteristics were put to good use by the writers during the break-up.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Judith said:

To be fair, all she asked for was a break at first. She just reached her breaking point, that's humane.

For me the break-up was something I could see coming a mile away. I remember watching previous seasons and thinking "She's going to have it up to here one day and break-up with him and when that happens that will be the final shake Sheldon needs". And if you want my opinion, honestly, served him right.

So, the break/break-up didn't come as a surprise to me. I know there was a lot of progress in season 8 but I'm not so sure that it was as lovey dovey a season as it's described sometimes. For instance, I remember in the "We got an 8.2, trust me you're happy" ep she looked so sad at Sheldon's dismissal. I felt really bad for her there. I mean, WAY to miss the point, Sheldon...

I wouldn't correlate seeing more of Sheldon's hurt with the writers intending to assign blame in a certain way. Amy is a secondary character, after all. And yes, she did hurt Sheldon by asking for a break/breaking up with him. Yes, Sheldon did push the situation from break to break up with his stupid behaviour. Both of them did hurtful things to each other but they're only human. In the Spock ep we saw devastated Sheldon, then it was Amy's turn in the Thanksgiving ep. Then we had Sheldon admit that the break-up did them good because (to paraphrase) it helped him evolve.

On one hand, we have Sheldon who can be clueless and selfish. On the other hand, we have Amy who can be impulsive and irritable. I think these characteristics were put to good use by the writers during the break-up.

I agree with some of what you say. You're right, the compatibility test episode in 8x3 started out with Shamy believing themselves to be a superior couple to Lenny but you could see that Amy wanted the intimacy that Lenny shared when they talked with one another. And no doubt, both Sheldon and Amy did their share of hurting one another, and your characterization of both of their personalities is spot on. I didn't like the break up (still don't) but in the end the writers were able to justify all the good things that came as a result of it, and like you pointed out Sheldon (and Amy) believe their relationship was strengthened from it. I believe the same things could've been accomplished with other plots instead of the break up, but that's a whole different topic.

But frankly, I think the break up would've made more sense earlier, at the latest 8x1 when Sheldon returns from his lengthy train trip that he sprung on everyone. I think there was enough milestones and momentum carrying through S8 that made the timing of the break up strange, and I think for me that was what irritated me about it. No doubt Amy had reasons to break up with Sheldon, for the obvious reasons we all know, but to me S6 into S7 would've made more sense. 

Look what we had in S8--

8x8 had the prom and declarations of love (that was BIG for both of them)

8x11 had Sheldon continuing to acknowledge his love for Amy, this time to Bernie while shopping for a Christmas gift (albeit to seek revenge for a missletoe kiss at the tree lot lol). In the end it's a sweet ending for them both.

8x12 had Amy concerned that Sheldon was still a "flight risk" when Leonard revisits moving out of 4A during the shopping incident

8x14 had the revelation of Amy's fan fic involving her and Sheldon.

8x17 had them buying a turtle together, and though there is a falling out over the Mars expedition it ended with them planning the Mars trip together. There is talk of raising kids as Martians. Amy confesses she wants them to plan their lives together.

8x20 had the fort scene and their first official "sleepover". Sheldon breaks the RA parameters to spend the rest of the evening with Amy in the fort they made.

8x24 begins with a make out session on the couch that we've never seen before. It ends with the "break", over Skype of all things...

Its not hard to see why some of us were shocked that the break up occurred after 8x24, the writers had us believing the couple was going somewhere forward for a change in S8, more so than previously seen IMO. I just think the timing of the break up was suspiciously off, and it felt to me to be a reversal of the foundation the writers were laying throughout the season. It's just my opinion but I think others shared it too at the time.

In the end, however, it doesn't really matter now. After a grueling 9 episode break up plot we have a Shamy that progressed forward at lightning speed for a while, with reconciliation and love being professed again, SEX, and a maturing of the relationship that was absent in the past. The couple communicates better and Sheldon has a better appreciation of what he has in Amy, which was lacking in the past. Shamy IMO is lookin pretty good going into S10.

Uh oh, I feel like we're all about to revisit "the debate" again lol! These taping breaks and quiet moments give us too much time on our hands lol, just wait til S9 ends and that long summer to come!

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 8

I think there will be more drama eventually but I think they are strong enough now to sort it out if anything major does arise again.

On a side note I saw the episode the other day with Amy's fanfic being discovered by Penny and Bernadette and wondered what Sheldon would make of it.

Now this would never happen but I actually though the basis of her fanfic could be a cool way for Sheldon to perhaps propose. Imagine Bernadette and Penny take Amy to one of these places where they have a similar era based on her fanfic where they dress up and work the land or whatever. Sheldon then turns up some scene in some kind of time machine prop or something outside in a field or whatever as Cooper obviously dressed as himself and ends up proposing to her.

I think Amy would absolutely love that, even though the premise of a proposal on this scale sounds so far fetched. On a side note if someone has written a fanfic based on that idea please can you point it to me so I can absolutely read it.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 5