[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

9 hours ago, I Miss Dan said:

I think Amy's hopes and dreams have been deferred WAY TOO Long.  She wants at least 2 children as was an only child and missed a sibling.  She and Sheldon were going to make a child in a fertility lab 6 years ago--if Penny hadn't gotten Sheldon to back out, their kid would be starting Kindergarten this Fall.  Also they are pushing 35 and even Sheldon knows her eggs won't be really fertile for much longer. AND, the only body function chart Sheldon does NOT have on the fridge is his sperm count.  How much playing with radioactive substances in his lap did he do?  If they want to have prodigies, they better start soon, and I think they would both prefer to be married to do this.

And, thats why I am not satisfied with season 9 and in general the entire Shamy arc. Its too slow for me. The break up could have happened in season 8 itself, and season 9, they could have experimented with living together. 

And for them to be married, Sheldon would have to be comfortable living with Amy. Would she live by all the crazy rules like Leonard did ? Sheldon would have to be comfortable in sleeping in the SAME bed with Amy. And Amy has always lived alone whereas Sheldon has never lived alone. That itself could cause so much drama when they do live together because it will be a huge change for Amy as well.

There would be a lot of  situational comedy in Sheldon and Amy living together or Sheldon and Amy  planning a wedding-that could easily fill up an ENTIRE season, but NOOOO, the writers want to waste time by filler episodes and rehashing a wedding(SARCASM). For me, Lenny moving out and living together as a married couple is more important than having another wedding as an excuse to have more guest stars. 

I get why everyone is okay with the slow pace for Shamy and that Shamy fans are used waiting 5 years for ILY or sex, BUT realistically you  don't have another 5 years. You only have 1 year.Thats it.

Rant Over.

Edited by Serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

I found myself laughing at the episode, I also didn't see an insecure Amy that people were afraid of. In fact she seemed absolutely confident that she was right,rather than her past kissing the ground where Penny walks behavior. There was no lingering ugliness between Sheldon and Amy either.

I know this isn't the right thread: but I thought Howard had some of the best lines/delivery out of the others in this episode. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

I liked tonights episode. Showed strong Amy, Sheldon was just bothered she took Leonards side and then after in the waiting they were sitting so close.

And not a Shenny episode folks. Amy was upset with Penny not Sheldon so much and she voiced it to Penny.

Def set things up.

Left with a happy Shamy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved strong Amy.  She is secure and she isn't going tiptoe around him anymore...yeah!

• Like 9

I liked Amy's confidence ! Go girl !

I laughed at Raj and Howard both wanting her spinach dip. Look how she invited them in although Sheldon was going elsewhere. Absolutely no grovelling whatsoever. Hooray ! Keep it up Amy.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, kerrycec03 said:

Strong Amy for the win!

You have to like Amy here.  She is honest with Sheldon about her dislike of the old RA between them, but says it in a teasing manner, and she doesn't care at all about this current fight between Leonard and Sheldon.  She is jealous that Penny is the woman living with Sheldon and not her.  Overall, a fun episode that also moves the story along.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

You have to like Amy here.  She is honest with Sheldon about her dislike of the old RA between them, but says it in a teasing manner, and she doesn't care at all about this current fight between Leonard and Sheldon.  She is jealous that Penny is the woman living with Sheldon and not her.  Overall, a fun episode that also moves the story along.

I don't think she is jealous for that, i think she is tired of being left out of important things in sheldon's life that she could (and wish) be part of because of penny, (comforting sheldon when he's upset like Penny did on his birthday outburst), (the medicine stuff was so stup*d to be honest),.. I'm really glad to see how amy can be the strong woman I love instead of the doormat she can be sometimes. :)

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Thyanic <3 said:

I don't think she is jealous for that, i think she is tired of being left out of important things in sheldon's life that she could (and wish) be part of because of penny, (comforting sheldon when he's upset like Penny did on his birthday outburst), (the medicine stuff was so stup*d to be honest),.. I'm really glad to see how amy can be the strong woman I love instead of the doormat she can be sometimes. :)

I think we actually agree here.   Because Penny lives in Sheldon's apartment,  she is far more likely to be physically present when important (as well as less important) situations arise.  Like when he can't sleep in the tag because his mind is churning about the man bat comic book issue.  It makes you wonder how Amy would handle that?

• Like 4

I don't think she is jealous for that, i think she is tired of being left out of important things in sheldon's life that she could (and wish) be part of because of penny, (comforting sheldon when he's upset like Penny did on his birthday outburst), (the medicine stuff was so stup*d to be honest),.. I'm really glad to see how amy can be the strong woman I love instead of the doormat she can be sometimes. [emoji4]

I think we actually agree here.   Because Penny lives in Sheldon's apartment,  she is far more likely to be physically present when important (as well as less important) situations arise.  Like when he can't sleep in the tag because his mind is churning about the man bat comic book issue.  It makes you wonder how Amy would handle that?

She'll be in his bed...and can divert his head......Amy will be just fine lol

• Like 8

Did anyone find it weird when Amy says Penny is the one who always comforts Sheldon when he is upset ?

Isn't that usually what Amy would be doing because she is Sheldon's girlfriend and best friend(I assume since she is 'suppossedly' the person he is closest to).Okay episode, but felt like FILLER. 

Edited by Serena_nyc1995

1 hour ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Did anyone find it weird when Amy says Penny is the one who always comforts Sheldon when he is upset ?

Isn't that usually what Amy would be doing because she is Sheldon's girlfriend and best friend(I assume since she is 'suppossedly' the person he is closest to).

Okay episode, but felt like FILLER. 

Well we know that isn't necessarily true because he has come to Amy several times, but I think the writers were trying to drive home that Sheldon and Penny are using each other in ways they should be establishing with their significant others.   I think they are setting it up (hopefully) for living arrangement changes and a change in dynamic between Sheldon and Lenny....loosing the dependency and having them become more "equal" friends instead of what they have going on now.  I think it also is setting things up for Sheldon to realize he should be turning to Amy for comfort, support, etc. and letting her challenge him when he needs to be challenged so that they can prepare them for an engagement and marriage (and possibly cohabitation before marriage).   I could be wrong, but it really felt like it was a building block to address that kind of thing.  I am just glad the writers brought the weirdness of the relationship out in the open!  It needed to be said.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, stardustmelody said:

Well we know that isn't necessarily true because he has come to Amy several times, but I think the writers were trying to drive home that Sheldon and Penny are using each other in ways they should be establishing with their significant others.   I think they are setting it up (hopefully) for living arrangement changes and a change in dynamic between Sheldon and Lenny....loosing the dependency and having them become more "equal" friends instead of what they have going on now.  I think it also is setting things up for Sheldon to realize he should be turning to Amy for comfort, support, etc. and letting her challenge him when he needs to be challenged so that they can prepare them for an engagement and marriage (and possibly cohabitation before marriage).   I could be wrong, but it really felt like it was a building block to address that kind of thing.  I am just glad the writers brought the weirdness of the relationship out in the open!  It needed to be said.

EXACTLY!

This episode is a great example of how different things are from what you read at the TR x what you see. The fight wasn't even that bad, it was a nice ensemble episode (filler, but ok). Amy's concerns didn't seem to be that bad and Howards looks asian at the end, when he eats the nuts lol.
Plus, I couldn't avoid repeating the part when Sheldon sang "The Name Game" without reminding of this.

I thought this one would have Zack on it, but that's next week, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Isn't that usually what Amy would be doing because she is Sheldon's girlfriend and best friend(I assume since she is 'suppossedly' the person he is closest to).

Okay episode, but felt like FILLER. 

Well to be fair they didn't say Sheldon always goes to Penny when he is upset. It's the other way around. I think this sentence emphasizes that Penny cares about Sheldon a lot. It's like she's Sheldon's sister/mother. So whenever Sheldon's upset, she'll comfort him. Also because she lives with him, she has more chances.

As for Sheldon, he doesn't really have a go-to guy when he's upset. I think he just speak with the person who's available at the time lol. But I agree Sheldon does go to Amy and Leonard more whenever he has something on his mind. He usually goes to Penny when he's mad at Amy or Leonard. But you know, the show is always filled with inconsistencies. I think this is just a throw-away line. The writers will literally write anything just to make a point.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 4

I enjoyed tonight's episode! As for the Shamy parts, the argument just didnt bother me. I think Sheldon was annoyed that Amy sided with Leonard and the revelation that she pretended to enjoy quarterly meetings rather than actually appreciating them was the icing on the cake for him...but it didnt feel like a big deal, and he probably only decided to leave 4A at Penny's  suggestion.

I agree, we saw more of strong Amy but I do think she aired out what she described as an "annoyance" of Penny's attachment to Sheldon in a "sisterly" way. Whether it's merely annoyance or jealousy (whichbis how she described it before), Amy clearly covets that level of intimacy and familiarity that Penny has with Sheldon that still eludes her even after declarations of love and coitus occurred. But instead of brooding over it she basically throws it out there to Leonard in a "matter of fact" kind of way. It annoys her, but its a more confident Amy that says it this time rather than the insecure Amy that confesses the jealousy to Leonard in that diner once before.

Im hoping this is the last we hear of this though, as Shamy continue to develop into a strong couple. While everything ends nicely for everyone, we never do see Sheldon assuage Amy's concern...though it may be unnecessary. Im hoping that what Stuart said at the hospital to them all hit a tone with them--that something serious like what happened to Howard puts everything into perspective. When Shamy walk out the hospital lobby Amy tells Sheldon that the event with Howard was scary. Im hoping at least she heard what Stuart said and just let it go.

There really isnt a need for Amy to be annoyed at all about Penny's friendship with Sheldon. Not anymore...

BTW, the quick preview of next week's episode! Group take out dinner in 4A, yay!!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 2L344 said:

There really isnt a need for Amy to be annoyed at all about Penny's friendship with Sheldon. Not anymore...

BTW, the quick preview of next week's episode! Group take out dinner in 4A, yay!!

Well as a girl, I have to say I understand Amys' annoyance...Like if what she said is true, that Sheldon still needs Penny to take his medicine and Penny always comforts Sheldon when he's upset, even when Amy is there (like in 917, I mean Amy was right there!), Amy does have reasons to feel annoyed.

As for the coitus part, don't get me started...I really don't think the one-time sex and no physical contact of any kind after that would make feel Amy very secure in the relationship. And it's not like Amy was suspecting something weird between Penny and Sheldon. She was just expressing that maybe she should be the one that's closest to Sheldon instead of Penny.

It's true that Shamy made a lot of progress in this season. But they still need more work. That's why I understand Amy. And next time, instead of making Amy feel annoyed, the writers could actually do something to show us that Shamy are actually very close,  like maybe next time let Amy be the one who sits in the bathroom with Sheldon. :shy:

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

Well as a girl, I have to say I understand Amys' annoyance...Like if what she said is true, that Sheldon still needs Penny to take his medicine and Penny always comforts Sheldon when he's upset, even when Amy is there (like in 917, I mean Amy was right there!), Amy does have reasons to feel annoyed.

As for the coitus part, don't get me started...I really don't think the one-time sex and no physical contact of any kind after that would make feel Amy very secure in the relationship. And it's not like Amy was suspecting something weird between Penny and Sheldon. She was just expressing that maybe she should be the one that's closest to Sheldon instead of Penny.

It's true that Shamy made a lot of progress in this season. But they still need more work. That's why I understand Amy. And next time, instead of making Amy feel annoyed, the writers could actually do something to show us that Shamy are actually very close,  like maybe next time let Amy be the one who sits in the bathroom with Sheldon. :shy:

Agree...it is fine for Sheldon and Penny to be friends and to be there for each other when their SO's are not available...but honestly, the show addressed it correctly.  Their close relationship is a bit "twisted" in many ways and the writers were expressing it and laying it out there.   While it didn't go anywhere in this episode, I still think it is a building episode toward something more.   

Penny is leaning on and using Sheldon and he gladly takes attention from anyone who gives it to him, even if he is being manipulated as long as he feels he gets something out of it.  I don't think his social skills are adept enough to realize that it could bother Amy, but Penny's are definitely developed enough to realize that it could make Amy feel a bit out of place when she is standing there and Penny is comforting her (meaning Amy's) boyfriend, totally ignoring that his girlfriend is standing right there.  It is a bit disconcerting to watch and while Penny has more history with Sheldon and there is nothing wrong with having a strong bond with him, she needs to learn to step aside and let Amy truly be his girlfriend.  With that comes the comforting and taking care of him when he is sick, etc.  

Penny needs to focus on her own husband and building their marriage because right now, while she may think her put-downs to her husband are just being playful, you can tell it bothers Leonard and eventually he will reach  a limit.   They have a lot of work in their marriage to focus on and and Penny has a lot of growing up to do.  Sheldon has definitely surpassed her as far as maturing in many ways, especially when you consider how much further behind he started.

I am hoping this is all leading to the show addressing all of these issues and dealing with the living arrangements and allowing a change in dynamic to be more fitting of two couples who are friends, but know their boundaries.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

Agree...it is fine for Sheldon and Penny to be friends and to be there for each other when their SO's are not available...but honestly, the show addressed it correctly.  Their close relationship is a bit "twisted" in many ways and the writers were expressing it and laying it out there.   While it didn't go anywhere in this episode, I still think it is a building episode toward something more.   

Penny is leaning on and using Sheldon and he gladly takes attention from anyone who gives it to him, even if he is being manipulated as long as he feels he gets something out of it.  I don't think his social skills are adept enough to realize that it could bother Amy, but Penny's are definitely developed enough to realize that it could make Amy feel a bit out of place when she is standing there and Penny is comforting her (meaning Amy's) boyfriend, totally ignoring that his girlfriend is standing right there.  It is a bit disconcerting to watch and while Penny has more history with Sheldon and there is nothing wrong with having a strong bond with him, she needs to learn to step aside and let Amy truly be his girlfriend.  With that comes the comforting and taking care of him when he is sick, etc.  

Penny needs to focus on her own husband and building their marriage because right now, while she may think her put-downs to her husband are just being playful, you can tell it bothers Leonard and eventually he will reach  a limit.   They have a lot of work in their marriage to focus on and and Penny has a lot of growing up to do.  Sheldon has definitely surpassed her as far as maturing in many ways, especially when you consider how much further behind he started.

I am hoping this is all leading to the show addressing all of these issues and dealing with the living arrangements and allowing a change in dynamic to be more fitting of two couples who are friends, but know their boundaries.

I know. Honestly I really don't feel anything weird from Sheldon's side. He clearly sees Penny as a sister and nothing more. But Penny...Well I do feel she's a little too enthusiastic about Sheldon, especially compared with her attitude towards Leonard. I really, really hope this is just because she's not ready to step into the adult world so she uses Sheldon as an excuse, not because she actually has some weird feelings for Sheldon. 'Cause that'll totally ruin the character for me.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Serena_nyc1995 said:

Isn't that usually what Amy would be doing because she is Sheldon's girlfriend and best friend(I assume since she is 'suppossedly' the person he is closest to).Okay episode, but felt like FILLER. 

Yes

Am getting a little annoyed at Amy being fretful over Penny and Sheldon, this first appeared out of nowhere in season 7 in "anything can happen" and has been brought up a few times since

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

While I understand the annoyance, I think that in the grand scheme of things Stuart has it right--put it in perspective. While there are times Penny is a surrogate mom/sister to Sheldon, there are plenty of times when Sheldon DOES seek Amy's advice and help. When Sheldon was feeling bad about Kripke's progress in string theory being better than his, it was Amy who comforted him. He takes advice from Amy this season about how to develop empathy...And just a couple of episodes ago Sheldon confides in Amy his hoarding issue and not only takes her advice but is also comforted by her words to him.

Yes, Amy couldve comforted Sheldon and reassured him at the birthday party panic attack, but instead she and Leonard got into a pissing match on who was better qualified. Penny stepped up out of frustration on waiting on either of them to decide a winner lol...

The idea that Penny is ALWAYS the one who comforts Sheldon is an exaggeration that Amy makes in my opinion. Whats frustrating for me when it comes to this "annoyance" is who will Amy blame for it? Is it Penny, for being a longtime good friend to Sheldon and caring too much by her concern from time to time? Is it Sheldon, for enjoying Penny's friendship all these years and accepting her help when given? Neither, because it is what it is? It's just a pointless mindset in my opinion with everything theyve been through, and all the progress made.

What Leonard and Amy should both be doing is pushing for living arrangements to change in 4A. That would solve a lot of problems, probably including the annoyance Amy holds for the non-sexual "intimacies" Sheldon and Penny share because of the increased contact they have with one another on a daily basis.

As for your last paragraph's suggestion, yes to THIS! I think we all would like to see more moments where Sheldon and Amy are there for one another, and it doesnt need to be a huge deal like the hoarding episode. I would very much like to see a moment where Amy is vulnerable and Sheldon steps up to help HER out (we saw a glimmer of it in the coitus episode when he calmed a nervous Amy in bed). And youre right, they still have a ways to go in the growimg department.

I think we're getting there, but still at a slower pace than we would all like to see.

Edited by 2L344
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

While I understand the annoyance, I think that in the grand scheme of things Stuart has it right--put it in perspective. While there are times Penny is a surrogate mom/sister to Sheldon, there are plenty of times when Sheldon DOES seek Amy's advice and help. When Sheldon was feeling bad about Kripke's progress in string theory being better than his, it was Amy who comforted him. He takes advice from Amy this season about how to develop empathy...And just a couple of episodes ago Sheldon confides in Amy his hoarding issue and not only takes her advice but is also comforted by her words to him.

Yes, Amy couldve comforted Sheldon and reassured him at the birthday party panic attack, but instead she and Leonard got into a pissing match on who was better qualified. Penny stepped up out of frustration on waiting on either of them to decide a winner lol...

The idea that Penny is ALWAYS the one who comforts Sheldon is an exaggeration that Amy makes in my opinion. Whats frustrating for me when it comes to this "annoyance" is who does Amy blame for it? Penny, for being a longtime good friend to Sheldon and caring too much by her concern from time to time? Sheldon, for enjoying Penny's friendship all these years and accepting her help when given? Its just a pointless mindset with everything theyve been through, and all the progress made.

What Leonard and Amy should both be doing is pushing for living arrangements to change in 4A. That would solve a lot of problems, probably including the annoyance Amy holds for the non-sexual "intimacies" Sheldon and Penny share because of the increased contact they have with one another on a daily basis.

As for your last paragraph's suggestion, yes to THIS! I think we all would like to see more moments where Sheldon and Amy are there for one another, and it doesnt need to be a huge deal like the hoarding episode. I would very much like to see a moment where Amy is vulnerable and Sheldon steps up to help HER out (we saw a glimmer of it in the coitus episode when he calmed a nervous Amy in bed). And youre right, they still have a ways to go in the growimg department.

I think we're getting there, but still at a slower pace than we would all like to see.

You know what?  Penny knows a lot about relationships.   Instead of stepping in during Sheldon's birthday when Amy and Leonard were arguing, she should have told Leonard to back off and let Amy handle it.   She knows that Amy is not as adept about things as she is, but she also knows that the only way you get there is through experience and by having to work things through.  She also knows that Sheldon does respond well with Amy's advice.   

So yes, it is annoying when you know that Penny is astute about things but seemingly acts like Amy's feelings don't matter.   Sheldon is too oblivious and selfish to notice that it might bother Amy.  He takes attention wherever it comes.    But Penny is savvy enough and should be stepping aside and letting Shamy work through things together, or at least ask Amy if she wants her to help out.   It is just a common courtesy you would do for your friend instead of assume that your friend could care less and understand your role as big sister.   

Obviously communication is a huge issue between the characters on the show, which is supposed to make for good comedy but often falls short of being funny because of these kinds of annoyances.   It is clear that the writers (which are primarily men) don't really understand how a girl like Amy, who came on the scene with a lot of insecurities about relationships and still has some, might need to be given a bit more consideration by her "bestie" before her "bestie" steps in and takes over taking care of her (Amy's) boyfriend.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 2L344 said:

The idea that Penny is ALWAYS the one who comforts Sheldon is an exaggeration that Amy makes in my opinion. Whats frustrating for me when it comes to this "annoyance" is who does Amy blame for it? Penny, for being a longtime good friend to Sheldon and caring too much by her concern from time to time? Sheldon, for enjoying Penny's friendship all these years and accepting her help when given? Its just a pointless mindset with everything theyve been through, and all the progress made.

I don't believe Amy was exaggerating because Leonard agreed with her. If anything, I think this sentence is the writers trying to make a point and as always they totally ignore what has happened in the show and just go ahead to write something random.

And I absolutely don't believe Amy was "complaining" or "blaming" Sheldon or Penny. She was pretty calm when she said those things to Leonard. She was just expressing her feelings. I don't see any judgement or criticism from her.

As for Penny, well I have to say if I were her in 9x17, I would tell Leonard to stop fighting with Amy and let Amy go to comfort Sheldon because like stardustmelody said, Penny should've known better. While Leonard and Amy may be lack of social skills, Penny should know in situation like this, a man's girlfriend (and future wife) should be the one who steps in.

Also if Amy just brings out the living situation issue to Sheldon, are you sure people wouldn't say that she's being pushy again? I think Amy did the right thing in this episode. She felt uncomfortable and she said so. She didn't just ask Lenny to move out because honestly she had no right to tell Lenny what to do and what not. But she does have a right to speak up her mind. And that's exactly what she did. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

You know what?  Penny knows a lot about relationships.   Instead of stepping in during Sheldon's birthday when Amy and Leonard were arguing, she should have told Leonard to back off and let Amy handle it.   She knows that Amy is not as adept about things as she is, but she also knows that the only way you get there is through experience and by having to work things through.  She also knows that Sheldon does respond well with Amy's advice.   

So yes, it is annoying when you know that Penny is astute about things but seemingly acts like Amy's feelings don't matter.   Sheldon is too oblivious and selfish to notice that it might bother Amy.  He takes attention wherever it comes.    But Penny is savvy enough and should be stepping aside and letting Shamy work through things together, or at least ask Amy if she wants her to help out.   It is just a common courtesy you would do for your friend instead of assume that your friend could care less and understand your role as big sister.   

Obviously communication is a huge issue between the characters on the show, which is supposed to make for good comedy but often falls short of being funny because of these kinds of annoyances.   It is clear that the writers (which are primarily men) don't really understand how a girl like Amy, who came on the scene with a lot of insecurities about relationships and still has some, might need to be given a bit more consideration by her "bestie" before her "bestie" steps in and takes over taking care of her (Amy's) boyfriend.

Maybe as a guy I see things differently. I saw Penny as just intervening in a situation that needed it when Sheldon locked himself in the bathroom. Amy COULD have just followed Sheldon to the bathroom instead of stopping to debate the issue with Leonard. Penny watched that dumbo debate and out of frustration ACTED instead of paying lip service about it.

Could she have told Leonard to back off and suggest to Amy to handle it? Sure. Or she couldve watched those two continue arguing their points with one another until hell froze over...

I do agree with you that communication is the issue here. This wasnt a strong point of Amy's in the past, she often times let things simmer to a boil rather than talk things out. In this particular case we have an issue being brought to light once again after being put on the back-burner since S7. And back then Amy described to Leonard her "jealousy" with the platonic friendship. At least then I understood the basis for it- her relationship with Sheldon was much different then than now.

In any case, "strong" Amy of now should make it a point to air out her issue in a constructive way with her "bestie" instead of taking sides with Leonard out of spite, which is what she appeared to do in tonight's episode. If what she sees bothers her that much then buy Penny a cup of coffee (or glass of wine) and be frank. If Penny is as astute as you suggest she is, she will listen.

While I will say that Penny is more worldly than Amy and her insight into emotions is more developed than Amy, I dont give her much credit when it comes to relationships. The one she is in with Leonard right now needs a lot of work, and her track record before Leonard wasnt the best either. 

• Like 7