[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Tensor

How large do you really think the shipping factions are?  Upsetting the core ships of Lenny and Shamy isn't going to hurt the show's viewership.  We shippers are a large portion of the fandom but a very small portion of the enormous viewership. 

With the ratings lower this year than in Season 6 and 7 and the finale as bad as it was the enormous viewership is beginning to shrink. I think they can't afford to lose any viewers at this point.

• Like 1

With the ratings lower this year than in Season 6 and 7 and the finale as bad as it was the enormous viewership is beginning to shrink. I think they can't afford to lose any viewers at this point.

ummm....nope....nothing is shrinking

From TVLine

TOP 10 BY TOTAL VIEWERS

2014-2015: http://tvline.com/2015/05/22/tv-season-rankings-2014-2015-empire-big-bang-theory/

NCIS, CBS (21.4 million)
The Big Bang Theory, CBS (21.3 million) 6.4 demo (18-49)

2013-2014: http://tvline.com/2014/05/22/tv-season-rankings-2013-2014-big-bang-theory-greys-anatomy/

NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (21.5 million)
The Big Bang Theory, CBS (20 million) 6.2 demo (18-49)

2012-2013: http://tvline.com/2013/05/23/tv-season-rankings-2012-2013-ncis-greys-anatomy-big-bang-theory/

NCIS (21.3 mil)
NBC Sunday Night Football (21 mil)
The Big Bang Theory (18.7 mil) 6.2 demo (18-49)

ummm....nope....nothing is shrinking

From TVLine

TOP 10 BY TOTAL VIEWERS

2014-2015: http://tvline.com/2015/05/22/tv-season-rankings-2014-2015-empire-big-bang-theory/

NCIS, CBS (21.4 million)
The Big Bang Theory, CBS (21.3 million) 6.4 demo (18-49)

2013-2014: http://tvline.com/2014/05/22/tv-season-rankings-2013-2014-big-bang-theory-greys-anatomy/

NBC Sunday Night Football, NBC (21.5 million)
The Big Bang Theory, CBS (20 million) 6.2 demo (18-49)

2012-2013: http://tvline.com/2013/05/23/tv-season-rankings-2012-2013-ncis-greys-anatomy-big-bang-theory/

NCIS (21.3 mil)
NBC Sunday Night Football (21 mil)
The Big Bang Theory (18.7 mil) 6.2 demo (18-49)

based on Nielson ratings which I read it shows a different story.

If Tensor was saying that I'd pay more attention. I have not looked in a long time but think what I have heard from our rattings guru is that giving what is happening across the board on network TV TBBT is essentially holding it's own. Impressive for a show in it's 8th season.

• Like 1

The majority of the show's viewership do not get as invested in its pairings as we do, and seem to watch the show purely for the comedy. 

While there was a lot of relationship stuff in Season 8, comedically it definitely was not as strong as say Season 2...or even Season 5. Heck, I had more laughs in Season 6.

I can understand why it wasn't nominated this year but that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed :(  

Hopefully Season 9 delivers the goods :) 

Edited by The Mushroom Log
  • Like 1

OK, I'll weigh in.  First off, while it's nice that TBBT can claim all sorts of high positions in the live + 7, (which Vonmar provided links to), there were problems this year.    The Live + 7 is great for networks, but it really means nothing as advertisers currently pay no attention to it.  Live + 7 or Live + 3 simply count how many viewers watch the show at those points.  Advertisers pay attention to the  C3, which is similar to the Live +3, except it only counts those who watch the show AND THE COMMERCIALS up to three days after the show airs.   Nielsen holds the C3 ratings pretty close, so Live + Same Day is used as those track the C3 pretty close.

I'm still working on a year end post, but I'll point this out.  In Live + Same Day,  in 2013-2104 up until Daylight savings time started in March, TBBT failed to break a 5.0 demo only twice in the first 18 episodes, (4.8, 4.9).  In 2014-2015 in the same time frame, TBBT only broke a 5.0 twice, and both of those were the two premiere shows, both at 5.5.   The last six episodes in 2013-2014, TBBT averaged a 4.6, only dipping below a 4.0 once.  In 2014-2015 for the same period, TBBT averaged a 3.7, only BREAKING a 4.0 once.  

One other point, for the first eight episodes (those on Monday night), TBBT C3 was a 5.6.  For the rest on Thursday, the C3 was a 4.6 (I don't have the individual weekly C3, but I do have the yearly.  Along with a break out for TBBT based on the day of the week.   Note that the C3 is about seven tenths higher than the Live + Same Day).  So, you can see TBBT dropped almost two demo points from the first of the year, to the end.

For the first time (excluding it's move from Monday to Thursday in season 4), TBBT dropped more, percentage wise, than overall TV viewing did.  In 2013-2014, TBBT dropped 4% from 2012-2013, but overall TV viewing dropped 12%.   In 2014-2015, TBBT dropped 15%, while overall TV viewing dropped 11%.  

All that said, TBBT still had the third biggest comedy season, compared to the rest of the broadcast shows for the year,  behind the 2003-2004 Friends season and last years TBBT season.  It was almost a full point ahead of the second place comedy, Modern Family (and that was another full point ahead of third place).  TBBT would have to drop 30% of its audience to get to an average comedy (over and above the general TV decline) and I don't see that happening.  

Make no mistake, trying to pin down one reason for the drop can't be done.  Were people not happy with the lack of Leonard and Penny?  Was there too much Sheldon?  Was the show simply not funny enough?  Was Bernadette too mean?  No one can say exactly why.  What we can say is that the last six shows of the year were the lowest stretch of the show since season four, and if you don't count that one because of the move, we have to go back to season 2.  It's easy to show something definitely happened this year, with the ratings drop, over and above the general TV drop, but what exactly that something was isn't quite as easy to pin down.   I happen to think it a combination of those reasons (minus Bernadette), along with the general drop.  

• Like 2

I'd really like to see the kiss issue solved. To me the way it is presented so far, it looks as if Leonard probably initiated the kiss, and then stopped himself from going any further. This seems to be completely OOC for Leonard, and totally inconsistent with his previous behavior. For me, it does NOT make sense. I hope they do NOT get married since I'f like to see a BIG wedding for them.

The majority of the show's viewership do not get as invested in its pairings as we do, and seem to watch the show purely for the comedy. 

While there was a lot of relationship stuff in Season 8, comedically it definitely was not as strong as say Season 2...or even Season 5. Heck, I had more laughs in Season 6.

I can understand why it wasn't nominated this year but that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed :(  

Hopefully Season 9 delivers the goods :) 

You make all fine points. Also, regardless of what the general public thinks, I believe that what really matters (in this forum, at least) is how each one of us sees TBBT, and what it means to each one of us. I experienced something similar to what you describe, because ships aside, I didn't laugh as much or as hard in S8 as I did in S2, 5 or 6. For me, as far as comedy goes, the almost perfect episode is "The adhesive duck deficiency". All jokes are laugh out funny, and it's one after the other... non-stop.

• Like 1

I miss the jokes, I mean...there aren't many funny moments on S8, this one was too serious/too dramatic to me. They have to find a balance between comedy and story telling. Even my two favorite jokes kinda doesn't exist anymore (Sheldon mocking Howard/engineering and mocking Leonard). The lack of social skills of all them (not only the nerds) used to be the main excuse for these jokes, apparently, it doesn't exist anymore

I didn't laugh as much or as hard in S8 as I did in S2, 5 or 6. For me, as far as comedy goes, the almost perfect episode is "The adhesive duck deficiency". All jokes are laugh out funny, and it's one after the other... non-stop.

I guess the only episode I laugh so hard was "The scavenger vortex". The best one, for me. If they do more episodes like this one, I'll be much grateful.

How could Penny and Sheldon consoling each other happen??!!  They already said 9.1 opens up a few hours later and Lenny are STILL IN VEGAS!!!!  

BTW, they also said the first three episodes have been written.  Who knows how many will be written by the time taping starts....

They will go home at some point, and Sheldon will apply some malaprop aphorism. My guess, anyway. That's what usually happens. :)

...[snip]

Make no mistake, trying to pin down one reason for the drop can't be done.  Were people not happy with the lack of Leonard and Penny?  Was there too much Sheldon?  Was the show simply not funny enough?  Was Bernadette too mean?  No one can say exactly why.  What we can say is that the last six shows of the year were the lowest stretch of the show since season four, and if you don't count that one because of the move, we have to go back to season 2.  It's easy to show something definitely happened this year, with the ratings drop, over and above the general TV drop, but what exactly that something was isn't quite as easy to pin down.   I happen to think it a combination of those reasons (minus Bernadette), along with the general drop.  

It is also possible I think that the drop is simply a result of the general drop in broadcast TV and the fact they were in their 8th season. Tensor you have pointed out in the past that a drop in viewers is typical of a long running series.

It is also possible I think that the drop is simply a result of the general drop in broadcast TV and the fact they were in their 8th season. Tensor you have pointed out in the past that a drop in viewers is typical of a long running series.

If they work on the content and performances then the ratings should follow. Personally I'm more interested in seeing some more engaging content being delivered. "You're the one that I'm with... " was heartfelt and extraordinary. The last thing we got was a reiteration of a fairly unconventional business trip gone wrong, without even the pretence of "what goes on in the North Sea, stays in the North Sea". I can only hope that the three episodes they have written are snappy, funny and make me forget about the tawdriness of Leonard's lapse.

I hope they are all feeling refreshed in August or whenever tapings resume. I suspect the latter part of s8 was hard on all the company - maybe that seeped into the work. :)
  • Like 2

While true, what is going on here is trying to figure out the reason for the drop, something I didn't mention.  For the simple reason we haven't had to look at a decline.  Friends didn't drop.  Mary Tyler Moore didn't drop.  Dick Van Dyke and The Andy Griffith Show (as well as Friends) finished at #1.  So while the the drop may be typical, it isn't absolute, so if something drops, there has to be a reason.  So, we're back to why are people unhappy enough to quit watching?  And I'll stay with thinking its a combination of all of it. 

• Like 2

The funny was down a lot in season 8, and I found myself saying a lot after episodes, 'Why did they make them do that?'  As a Lenny shipper I never said I wanted more Lenny, I said I just wanted Lenny to act engaged.  I would like to see more group interaction and the couples relationships handled as a subset of that.  Things like group paintball, another road trip and all of them going out to dinner would be nice.  Have we ever seen them all go out to eat, with Penny sitting and eating with them, I don't remember.  Maybe there was too much couple only interaction last season, driving away the casual comedy viewer.

• Like 4

The funny was down a lot in season 8, and I found myself saying a lot after episodes, 'Why did they make them do that?'  As a Lenny shipper I never said I wanted more Lenny, I said I just wanted Lenny to act engaged.  I would like to see more group interaction and the couples relationships handled as a subset of that.  Things like group paintball, another road trip and all of them going out to dinner would be nice.  Have we ever seen them all go out to eat, with Penny sitting and eating with them, I don't remember.  Maybe there was too much couple only interaction last season, driving away the casual comedy viewer.

I agree with everything here. The funny went down while the relationship drama went way up, at the expense of a potential Emmy nomination.

As a Shamy shipper, I loved the relationship side of Season 8 for obvious reasons (let's not think about the finale). But I did notice that it generally wasn't as funny as other seasons. Even Season 7 was funnier, which is saying something because it's one of the weaker seasons IMO. I can literally count on my hands (or even just one hand) the number of times I laughed out loud during Season 8, unlike earlier seasons where it would be joke after joke in the space of even just a single episode.

I think I mentioned it earlier either here or on another thread but I actually forgot that Lenny were engaged at numerous points during Season 8. Looking back, this season truly was a missed opportunity in terms of the way Lenny was written. Hopefully Season 9 is somewhat better.

And yes, we seriously need some more group interaction, rather than solely focusing on the couples. I'd like another great group episode like 'Love Car' or 'Scavenger Hunt', I don't think we really got that in Season 8. I actually don't think we've ever seen them all out to eat together, Penny included...that's definitely going on the wish list for Season 9!

Edited by The Mushroom Log
  • Like 2

Being a shipper it is always great to see your OTP receive a lot of attention. However, when you try to sandwich that into 22 minutes of sit-com time something will suffer. Shoehorning in three and even four plots just does not work. Seinfeld could pull it off, but the multiple plots there would always meld at the end. Seven characters. Four couples. The coverage has to be managed better, which may allow for more all-character-inclusive-and-together episodes. Love my Leonard & Penny, but they can do it better (see The Closet Reconfiguration). Not sure if this belongs here Tensor, but "discuss". Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I also think S8 could've been much better.  I loved the Shamy progress but the rest of it....no.  Just no.  

It wasn't nearly as funny as the previous seasons.  I find I'd rather watch the older seasons (1-7) instead of S8 and if I do watch 8, I skip to the sweet Shamy moments and skip everything else.  But with the previous seasons, I don't skip nothing because I know within seconds, something's going to happen or be said that's going to cause me to laugh my ass off.

Penny used to be my least favorite character but now it's Bernadette.  They used to have her be mean all of a sudden and simingly out of no where once in a blue moon.  Now she's just a bitch all the time.  

Leonard and especially Sheldon seem stupider.  These guys are supposed to be geniuses and they have Leonard fighting a goat for carrots or whatever that joke was supposed to be.  I thought it was stupid, not funny.  I liked their friendship that they showed and it was sweet but it was also missing the humor.  I know they can write both.  They've done it before.  Did they get rid of the humorous writer?

And even though I'm not a huge Lenny shipper....what the fuck happened??  Lets start with the kissing....or rather the lack of.  Over at the Lollipop Guild Forum, they've got a thing going on with all their kissing scenes.  The actual kissing scenes in the first 7 seasons combined I think is over 50.  50!!!!  In 7 seasons.  And this season they got 2.  They had several scenes where a kiss would've fit perfectly but nooooo.  Can't have that for some fucked up reason.  It rang false....Big Time!

I always thought Raj & Howard scenes were the funniest in the whole series but in S8, I find I skip over them.  And that's if I even watch S8 (I've got all 24 recorded on my DVR).

There's the progress of all the relationships.  Raj is hardly existant but I kinda get that with Laura Spencer's schedule w/ Bones but now I'm thinking they hit a dud with that one.  Not very many people seem to like Emily.

I don't think anybody is a hard core Howardette but for the love of God, stop having her be such a controlling, manipulative bitch who has to be mean to everybody.  If THAT continues, I'm going to start rooting for a divorce with them!

Lenny.  They were simply put on the back burner and forgotten about the whole damn season (with very few exceptions).  And Penny still acts like she's doing Leonard a favor by being with him with the snide comments she's made.  We know why she's hesitant to plan a wedding but why the hell make Leonard feel that way?  Being married to her has been his goal for 8 years and now at the end of S8, we find out that he's feeling the same way as Penny regarding why they haven't set a date? Bull shit!!!  

Shamy.  Yeah, love the progress and the faster speed but like Amy said, it's STILL ridiculously slow.  To the point it's almost not believable.  He can't possibly be that stupid, clueless or whatever their excuse is.  Sorry, I'm just not buying it anymore.  

With Lenny & Shamy both, the writers say they like to let it flow but you can see how they are also forcing the feet dragging.  And for what?  To keep Leonard & Sheldon in 4A a little longer?  What man who's been engaged to someone for a year, still isn't living with them?  Yeah, I know Amy is as patient as a Saint and is as inexperienced as Sheldon but.....  It all just rings false!!

Shenny.  I detest the thought of a "romantic" pairing of these two.  It wouldn't make sense.  From what we know of their characters, it just wouldn't make sense.  I honestly don't think TPTB are going to go that route but for the record, God forbid, IF that is what they do, I'll simply check out and stop watching.

With that being said, I love their sibling like relationship in the previous seasons and they were comedy gold.  They really did remind me of my relationship with my younger brother.  And yes, sadly, we do still fight like siblings as adults.  But the Shenny scenes just aren't funny anymore.  That relationship also feels forced and rings false instead of flowing naturally.

Then there's the laughter.  I chuckled a few times.  Maybe laughed out loud once or twice but I don't think I ever laughed so hard that I had to grap my stomach, have tears run down my cheeks from laughing so hard or run to the bathroom to keep from peeing my pants (yeah, it sucks getting older and no longer having the control you once had of your bladder muscles).  Not in season 8.

I don't know what happened in the writers room but something did and whatever it is, I hope it gets fixed.  Because if Seasons 9 & 10 are like Season 8, I don't see how they can pull out a "possible" Season 11.

• Like 9

I love this show - that said I think the relationships must move forward resolve some issues and get back to the fun group dynamics. The resolution of the relationship issues should not end the show but offer new comedic situations. 

• Like 1

Maybe there was too much couple only interaction last season, driving away the casual comedy viewer.

....I don't know what happened in the writers room but something did and whatever it is, I hope it gets fixed......

The writers have gotten lazy on far too many occasions, and treated the characters as caricatures.
They go for the EASY JOKE, to me it makes the characters too cartoonish in their flaws.

But, I hope....:cool:

• Like 4

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic