The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Regarding Shamy:

This whole situation isn't just about sex. If it was, then yes, the writers would have her sleep with somebody else. Easy! Done! 

But it's more than that. Amy wants to have sex with her boyfriend of five years whom she is in love with, which is very understandable. However, she also wants to know that Sheldon wants the same things out of the relationship that she does. Essentially, she wants to know that he genuinely wants her, and isn't just going through the motions to make her happy. We know that Sheldon is committed to the relationship in the way Amy would like (hence the ring) however he hasn't properly expressed it. He might know what he wants, but Amy certainly doesn't know that.

In a sense, this entire situation is one big misunderstanding and in order to be properly resolved, it requires effective, open communication between Amy and Sheldon. While this could easily be accomplished in the premiere, I have a feeling the writers will want to drag it out a bit longer than that, and rightly so. It's unlikely that Sheldon (or Amy, for that matter) will realise straight away what needs to be done, leaving a nice opportunity for a bit of angst and pining for each other.

Exactamundo!

I don't think they are implying she wants to sleep with "anybody" Rachel. As you concur, she wants to have sex with her boyfriend of 5 years whom she's in love with and they've made that quite clear.

I agree with you in the general sense but in this one particular scene I don't really think S8 finale  had so much to do with sexually frustrated Amy. In the first place she was mad because after five years, his full attention is still not on her and the future of his TV schedule is his big commitment issue, while it should be  their future.  As was said above, big misunderstanding. And then she complained about the pace of their physical relationship. Seems to me like catalyst for they break was way more in the thing that got her angry in the first place.

If this is just an catalyst for their sex (which I can see how could be), I think it would be forced and kinda disappointing. I hope it will be catalyst for finally talking about those things, with words, in complete sentences, because it seems like even while geniuses, they both suck at it.  

• Like 1

I agree with you in the general sense but in this one particular scene I don't really think S8 finale  had so much to do with sexually frustrated Amy. In the first place she was mad because after five years, his full attention is still not on her and the future of his TV schedule is his big commitment issue, while it should be  their future.  As was said above, big misunderstanding. And then she complained about the pace of their physical relationship. Seems to me like catalyst for they break was way more in the thing that got her angry in the first place.

If this is just an catalyst for their sex (which I can see how could be), I think it would be forced and kinda disappointing. I hope it will be catalyst for finally talking about those things, with words, in complete sentences, because it seems like even while geniuses, they both suck at it.

Totally agree. This break is what will take them to the next stage. Sheldon is oblivious to the carrot dangling on the stick and has always been moved to change with a bit of shoeleather up his backside. Would be nice if it were done through adult conversation but, as this is a comedy (and one that keeps pathos to a minimum) I suspect there's more humour in writing jealous Sheldon than socially awakened and aware Sheldon. Maybe we'll see Kripke sniffing round or the return of Bert Dirt...who knows?

• Like 2

Totally agree. This break is what will take them to the next stage. Sheldon is oblivious to the carrot dangling on the stick and has always been moved to change with a bit of shoeleather up his backside. Would be nice if it were done through adult conversation but, as this is a comedy (and one that keeps pathos to a minimum) I suspect there's more humour in writing jealous Sheldon than socially awakened and aware Sheldon. Maybe we'll see Kripke sniffing round or the return of Bert Dirt...who knows?

If we look back o the previous big steps in Shamy's relationship, many of them have been a consequence of anger or some sort of stress, from Sheldon's part...so I also think that this situation will end with them being in a better place. What I really hope is that the writers will not increase the tension between them with a third person (the most plausible one seems also to me Kripke...) I don't want to  see again a jealous Sheldon...It worked out very well in Season 5 (actually it was really funny then), but after so much time to go on that same pattern will show a very lazy writing. I really hope they will find another way to solve everything, a way that in some sense mixes "fun" and "adult conversations"...I don't know it this makes any sense, but I think it will be also very funny to see his awkward attempts to make it up with Amy, maybe he can try to be "romantic" in his personal interpretation of the word, and doing strange things that are not commonly considered romantic...Anyway, I hope that this situation is not dragged too long, I think it is reasonable that that they take their time, but I don't want a whole season of will they/won't they...It's not the kind of relationship Shamy have!

• Like 4

If we look back o the previous big steps in Shamy's relationship, many of them have been a consequence of anger or some sort of stress, from Sheldon's part...so I also think that this situation will end with them being in a better place. What I really hope is that the writers will not increase the tension between them with a third person (the most plausible one seems also to me Kripke...) I don't want to  see again a jealous Sheldon...It worked out very well in Season 5 (actually it was really funny then), but after so much time to go on that same pattern will show a very lazy writing. I really hope they will find another way to solve everything, a way that in some sense mixes "fun" and "adult conversations"...I don't know it this makes any sense, but I think it will be also very funny to see his awkward attempts to make it up with Amy, maybe he can try to be "romantic" in his personal interpretation of the word, and doing strange things that are not commonly considered romantic...Anyway, I hope that this situation is not dragged too long, I think it is reasonable that that they take their time, but I don't want a whole season of will they/won't they...It's not the kind of relationship Shamy have!

Agree. The writers do have a habit of surprising us (I've yet to second-guess them correctly) and I've faith that whatever they do will be very 'Shamy' and off the wall. Here's hoping. :)

• Like 3

100% agree. In my opinion, this "break" is just a catalyst for bigger and better things. 

And I'm not too sure about Kripke as a third person. Amy still loves Sheldon and she is well aware of his rivalry with Kripke. Would she really start dating him? Surely it would have some sort of negative implication on her relationship with Sheldon (romantic or otherwise).

Besides, using Jelly Shelly to bring about positive change for Shamy? Been there, done that. They'll find another way to solve the problem and bring Pasadena's favourite power couple back together once and for all. 

And yeah, I also don't want an entire season of will they/won't they. They've already done that with Lenny, we don't need to relive it with Shamy.

• Like 3

I don't think Amy would date Kripke, if they go there, it'll be interest on his part alone. Must admit, big part of me wants Sheldon-Kripke fisticuffs, another chance to see the "flamingo on Ritalin"...... I envision something along these lines...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iapVomK4eFA

Best fight scene ever, two foppish wimps flapping at each other (love Colin Firth and Hugh Grant).

• Like 4

I don't think Amy wants to date anyone during this break. This is so far removed from the Stewart dating scenario way back. She doesn't want anyone else. She doesn't want sex with anyone else. She just wants Sheldon to fully understand the ramifications of life temporarily without her accepting his faults and putting up with his crap. she just want Sheldon to understand what sacrifice in a relationship is. she just wants time for him ( and herself) to reflect on what she said to him before he said ILY. She wants him to work out what it means to be in love. She had grown up. He still hasn't. She's no longer the immature teenager love struck girl trapped in a 30 something body. He is. He's got to work out what he is in danger of losing if he doesn't grow up. But Amy won't be forcing it by playing the Dating Kripke or anyone else game. she's too classy for that.

• Like 8

Basically the s8 final nonsense was to delay any lenny marriage and shamy progress for as long as possible

EXACTLY. I truly believe they are saving the Lenny wedding for the end simply because the show started with the intention that these two would end up together. As for Shamy, they have plenty of material left to work with still. 

Tonstar I agree with you but I don't see a wedding anytime soon my guess would be a double wedding on s10

oh god... no double wedding. that would be too cheesy (imo) since the couples have  very different wants. 

Unfortunately The Big Bang Theory resambles soap opera more and more. You right the show can be funny anymore if they will break up (again), wedding issue can be very funny - I don't get it why writers don't want go that way.

it's not the first sitcom that throws drama in, and it wouldn't be the last. Also, it wouldn't be the only sitcom that does not get their two main characters married in the end even though we know they should be together. 

My thoughts are the writers aren't really concerned about Leonard, Howard or Bernie any longer and will concentrate on Sheldon, Amy and penny to keep the rating up. You might be right about Lenny not getting married

• Like 2

I think the writers have hit a block with Lenny.  There's plenty left to do with Shamy, no worries there, but Lenny has lost the spark that was present before they became a settled couple.  It's a too common thing with TV romances and I hope Shamy don't do a 'Moonlighting' or 'Frasier' further along the run as well.

The sexual tension is gone between Lenny (reflected in real life relationships once the honeymoon period peters out) and so they've dawdled about in the background whilst the Shamy progress marched on last season.

What's left to do with them?  The marriage of course.  Lenny babies? (Though the cast and producers have expressed a disinterest in baby story-lines so perhaps not.) Can they stretch this out for a minimum of 2 seasons, 48 episodes?  Unlikely.

This 'cheating' story-line puts a bit of pep back.  Whether they split up or not, the Lenny relationship will change because of it.  I suspect the idea is to get the audience rooting for Lenny again (instead of being 'meh' about their relationship).

Shamy will change too because of Amy's 'break' but I reckon season 9 will be more of a balance between the two main couples now that Lenny have this plot-line to contend with.

Something had to give for both couples to retain the viewer's interest. What other options were left, leave Shamy celibate (and Amy frustrated) and Lenny dwindling away to oblivion in the background?

• Like 2

kelliluvtbbt and old sailor, you are really sharing my concerns about characters and the show. All characters deserve for the attention, I think Leonard will be no longer minimize, because he is a huge part of the biggest cliffhanger IMO, but who know what writers do. As to Howard and Bernie I'm not sure.

Edited by Norman
  • Like 1

I think the writers have hit a block with Lenny. There's plenty left to do with Shamy, no worries there, but Lenny has lost the spark that was present before they became a settled couple. It's a too common thing with TV romances and I hope Shamy don't do a 'Moonlighting' or 'Frasier' further along the run as well.

The sexual tension is gone between Lenny (reflected in real life relationships once the honeymoon period peters out) and so they've dawdled about in the background whilst the Shamy progress marched on last season.

What's left to do with them? The marriage of course. Lenny babies? (Though the cast and producers have expressed a disinterest in baby story-lines so perhaps not.) Can they stretch this out for a minimum of 2 seasons, 48 episodes? Unlikely.

This 'cheating' story-line puts a bit of pep back. Whether they split up or not, the Lenny relationship will change because of it. I suspect the idea is to get the audience rooting for Lenny again (instead of being 'meh' about their relationship).

Shamy will change too because of Amy's 'break' but I reckon season 9 will be more of a balance between the two main couples now that Lenny have this plot-line to contend with.

Something had to give for both couples to retain the viewer's interest. What other options were left, leave Shamy celibate (and Amy frustrated) and Lenny dwindling away to oblivion in the background?

Are you saying the only way to make lenny funny is sex and sexual tension? There is more to lenny than that. Lenny will never run out of steam imo it just the writers have another agenda. Money. So lazy writing. There is so much fun things lenny can do. Planning there wedding meeting family members and being embarrassed. Booking the wrong venue going to the sex store together torturing the Shamy lol. Teaching Leonard to ride a horse. Going away for the weekend. I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. There is more to lenny than just sex and tension. They are great together and I know the writers can see that too or they would have broken them up ages ago. But you know money talks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Are you saying the only way to make lenny funny is sex and sexual tension? There is more to lenny than that. Lenny will never run out of steam imo it just the writers have another agenda. Money. So lazy writing. There is so much fun things lenny can do. Planning there wedding meeting family members and being embarrassed. Booking the wrong venue going to the sex store together torturing the Shamy lol. Teaching Leonard to ride a horse. Going away for the weekend. I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. There is more to lenny than just sex and tension. They are great together and I know the writers can see that too or they would have broken them up ages ago. But you know money talks.

I'm saying they lost their edge when they became settled, rather like Niles and Daphne in Frasier did. The general audience (and I don't mean uber fans) are no longer caught up with the will they, won't they? Yes, a specific fan of Lenny would love to see horse-riding and shopping for sex toys, a casual viewer would most likely want Sheldon in there ballsing it all up for them and providing the embarrassment you mention because that's the formula that works (this is the US's no. 1 comedy afterall) and, as you said, brings in the big bucks.

Sex sells. Always has.

I get where your coming from but lenny also does not need Sheldon to be funny. on their own they've proving it many times that they can be. Why the hell would lenny take Sheldon to a sex shop. I love how ppls seems to think that Sheldon has to be there to make them funny. If that what the writers think too then they have lost the plot.

Sex sells. not in bbt world haven't seen any yet.

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 4

I get where your coming from but lenny also does not need Sheldon to be funny. on their own they've proving it many times that they can be. Why the hell would lenny take Sheldon to a sex shop. I love how ppls seems to think that Sheldon has to be there to make them funny. If that what the writers think too then they have lost the plot.

Sex sells. not in bbt world haven't seen any yet.

Isn't that what drew you in as a viewer though? The whole is this meek little guy going to get the hot blonde? That there's the sex. Otherwise it'd be just another nerd nanny tale with the gormless guys oblivious to the gorgeous girl's gorgeousness and they'd all just be good pals together. It was a tale of adversity, and sex was always the driving force, and still is. If it weren't, then there'd be no issue with Leonard and Penny splitting up and just being friends would there? No issue with them dating other people. It's all about sex, don't kid yourself.

Isn't that what drew you in as a viewer though? The whole is this meek little guy going to get the hot blonde? That there's the sex. Otherwise it'd be just another nerd nanny tale with the gormless guys oblivious to the gorgeous girl's gorgeousness and they'd all just be good pals together. It was a tale of adversity, and sex was always the driving force, and still is. If it weren't, then there'd be no issue with Leonard and Penny splitting up and just being friends would there? No issue with them dating other people. It's all about sex, don't kid yourself.

It was at the beginning not anymore sex is an important part of their relationship but they have grown to be best friends and care about each other deeply and are there for one another and do little things for each other. Its called love.

• Like 3

I hope we don't have 2 seasons of Leonard begging Penny to accept his apologies

• Like 6

It was at the beginning not anymore sex is an important part of their relationship but they have grown to be best friends and care about each other deeply and are there for one another and do little things for each other. Its called love.

There are many types of love. What you've described is the relationship I have with my best friend, which is most certainly love, however, it's different to the love I have for my husband, different to the love I have for my children, different to the love I have for my family.

If the love you describe is enough, then they don't need to be married or involved in a sexual relationship. So they could split, find each other again as platonic best friends and you'd be more than happy yes?

I hope we don't have 2 seasons of Leonard begging Penny to accept his apologies

He wasn't wildly apologetic when he told her. I predict an edgy Season 9 whatever their relationship status at the beginning.

Really. Isn't your soulmate supposed to be your best friend, lover and the person you are in love with who you want to spend the rest of your life with? You do little things for them like knowing what they like and cheering them up when they are down. Etc what love is to you is different from what I think love is or even others. If you think lenny are not in love and they should split or just be friends because you can't see it that's your opinion. Love comes in different packages. Just look at the Shamy.

• Like 5

Really. Isn't your soulmate supposed to be your best friend, lover and the person you are in love with who you want to spend the rest of your life with? You do little things for them like knowing what they like and cheering them up when they are down. Etc what love is to you is different from what I think love is or even others. If you think lenny are not in love and they should split or just be friends because you can't see it that's your opinion. Love comes in different packages. Just look at the Shamy.

What you just described is what I had with my late wife of 27 years sometimes we were happy just holding hands. She was my soulmate and best friend
  • Like 5

Really. Isn't your soulmate supposed to be your best friend, lover and the person you are in love with who you want to spend the rest of your life with?

Yes! Exactly. 'Lover' being the pertinent word! You're the one dismissing their sexual element here, not me.

You do little things for them like knowing what they like and cheering them up when they are down. Etc what love is to you is different from what I think love is or even others. If you think lenny are not in love and they should split or just be friends because you can't see it.

I don't think that though do I? Why do you think I do?

I'd place them in Pragma stage myself (the origin for the word pragmatic BTW) and my point is that this is where the casual viewer interest falls away. There's no will they, won't they? They have, they will, "meh whatever, keep flicking through Netflixs".

Love comes in different packages. Just look at the Shamy.

Exactly! In keeping with the writer's "think how an average person does it, then do the opposite", Shamy are working backwards to Eros (origin of 'erotic') stage.

@ATOB: If Lenny has lost their spark, as you say, that's all on the writers and their focus on the annoying man-child/cash cow. There is no legitimate reason for not being able to create interesting stories for a settled couple.

• Like 7

I guess my problem is that you think that sex is the most important part of a long term relationship or marriage. I will grant you that its important but not the only important part that's JMHO
  • Like 5

@ATOB: If Lenny has lost their spark, as you say, that's all on the writers and their focus on the annoying man-child/cash cow. There is no legitimate reason for not being able to create interesting stories for a settled couple.

I agree, but it would seem easy for us to say, not so easy to deliver. Not just the BBT writers but historically, name me one TV couple who became more interesting and exciting when they got together and there was no longer any tension (sexual or otherwise). Couples who are already paired (I'm thinking Lucy & Ricky, Marshall & Lily) work, but those with the build up always suffer with the anticlimax afterwards.

Frankly, this is what I dread most for Shamy.

I guess my problem is that you think that sex is the most important part of a long term relationship or marriage. I will grant you that its important but not the only important part that's JMHO

Sex fluctuates throughout a long term relationship, often dwindling to nonexistent in old age. I didn't state it was "the most important part", merely that it was a factor.

I did say 'sex sells'.

It does.

And it played a major part in selling the Lenny love story.