In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Tensor

My husband would say it's the "frumpy" clothes....

Well Penny doesnt need to wear revealing stuff anymore,  now that she has Leonard 

A bit like how Kaley cut off her long hair,  presumably to take away the notion of the hot girl tag once she got married,  basically saying shes off the market

Perhaps idk jmo

The talk about the denny's with a wedding chappel was funny IMO.

Who said they were walking back?  How do you know this won't end up being Penny's version of Bernadette's conflict from season 5, where Bernadette had to come to grips with Howard's past and what he didn't tell her, and how it challenges the pedestal she put Howard on? 

Or maybe it's a roadblock/challenge for these characters to overcome.

That would suggest that it was beyond credibility for this to have happened.  I don't see it that way.

Then every sitcom that has used infidelity as a storytelling device is tawdry then.

a. So funny I have no recollection of that which you remark upon.

2. I said no easy way, but yes, let them push forward with Penny accepting that Leonard pondered being unfaithful, albeit briefly, while he was in a committed relationship. It can be done but it won't be easy. Or if it is easily overcome then it highlights what a tawdry faked dodge that it was.

iii. It certainly is a roadblock, that generates more material, and having your romantic leads toy with infidelity is exactly where prime-time sitcoms go for laughs, by choice.

quattro. Artificial implies artifice, rather than organic development. It's plausible that Leonard would blab about something that happened years ago, but highly unlikely. I doubt he was wracked with guilt over it, else he would not have saved it up until it mattered. A manufactured crisis, for a specific purpose. It will either blow away like smoke in stiff breeze or be catastrophic. Hurrah.

0101. To a degree, yes. In this instance, certainly.

One possibility is that the outcome of this is a hiatus on the L/P front, while they work through this challenge. Hurrah for that too. <not>.

All this serves my earlier point. TPTB are to some degree cursed by success. The boy meets girl premise has a lifespan. Particularly when you are not able to play musical boys, even though the rise of Shamy has to some degree given them an extension, and even that got a stick in its spokes for no obvious reason except to deliver a minor pause for length.

Still, I am hoping for a genius recovery in S9. They are a talented bunch. How they do that recovery will be amazing to see. :) 

• Like 5

Maybe its time we pointed out the elephant in the room.  Penny's haircut.  Whether the typical viewers opinion on it is shallow or not, I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought it wasn't an issue for some fans/viewers.  

Personally I don't think it's a look on Penny (on Kaley it's fine) that accentuates the character like her long hair did.  Sometimes I feel like I'm watching Lieutenant Riker (from Star Trek TNG) without the beard.  IMO I also don't think the wardrobe played to that hair's strengths/weaknesses in terms of presentation.  It's possible to make it work, I just don't think it did most of the time.  Though unlike the worst of tv land, it's not going to get me to stop watching. 157 episodes have given me WAY MORE than enough development/reasons to like the character beyond what's on the outside; and if I'm being honest her hair started getting better for me from The Leftover Thermalization onward, as her hair started to regain some of it's buoyancy.

I'm not saying it's the only absolute factor, just that it's a reason you can throw in with the rest of the ones you mentioned (lack of Lenny, comedy not hitting the mark, etc.)

I see your point and indeed, in almost all Facebook posts on TBBT there's somebody saying he\she doesn't like Penny haircut and wardrobe, so definetely I agree (sadly) it may be one of the factors...As far as the haircut goes, I don't know, it's just hair, they will grow, but maybe some fans are more sensitive than me on the subject. As for the wardrobe, I think actually is consistent in Penny's character evolution, it is a way to point out her personal growth. When the show started, she was 21 or something, so she dressed like a 21 years old girl; now she is almost 30 and she works successfully in pharm sales, she has to dress differently. Now, I preferred her as an actress, her character was overall  funnier as an actress, and I hope that somehow she returns doing it, but as a pharm sales it would be strange that she kept her previous wardrobe. I've also noticed that also the guys wardrobe has somehow changed this season more than the others, not their everyday dresses, but when they have to wear more elegant sfuff, it isn't something so ridicolous as it used to be  (see Sheldon's date night dresses for example...) This also IMO is a way to address to the characters personal growth, they aren't  as social ackward as they used to be and they wear more appropriate dresses in some "social" circumstances...

Also I haven't heard any information given to us in the episodes that PROVES that Leonard's action (of him being a weak resistance to female attention to a VERY SPECIFIC degree) wasn't consistent with all the facets of his character from all 8 seasons leading up to that, and I stand by that point.

Indeed, Leonard has form.

How do you know this won't end up being Penny's version of Bernadette's conflict from season 5, where Bernadette had to come to grips with Howard's past and what he didn't tell her, and how it challenges the pedestal she put Howard on?wdry then.

The difference being, when Howard did those things, he didn't even know Bernadette.

Why should Penny even have to have her own version of Bernadette's conflict? Why is it so necessary for her to have to come to grips with Leonard's past? Just because it happened in Howardette's relationship, doesn't mean it has to happen in Lenny's. IMO this entire situation for Lenny is really quite unnecessary and seems to be pretty slack writing. I feel like they only really did it because they wanted drama in the season finale.

• Like 4

a. So funny I have no recollection of that which you remark upon.

2. I said no easy way, but yes, let them push forward with Penny accepting that Leonard pondered being unfaithful, albeit briefly, while he was in a committed relationship. It can be done but it won't be easy. Or if it is easily overcome then it highlights what a tawdry faked dodge that it was.

iii. It certainly is a roadblock, that generates more material, and having your romantic leads toy with infidelity is exactly where prime-time sitcoms go for laughs, by choice.

quattro. Artificial implies artifice, rather than organic development. It's plausible that Leonard would blab about something that happened years ago, but highly unlikely. I doubt he was wracked with guilt over it, else he would not have saved it up until it mattered. A manufactured crisis, for a specific purpose. It will either blow away like smoke in stiff breeze or be catastrophic. Hurrah.

0101. To a degree, yes. In this instance, certainly.

One possibility is that the outcome of this is a hiatus on the L/P front, while they work through this challenge. Hurrah for that too. <not>.

All this serves my earlier point. TPTB are to some degree cursed by success. The boy meets girl premise has a lifespan. Particularly when you are not able to play musical boys, even though the rise of Shamy has to some degree given them an extension, and even that got a stick in its spokes for no obvious reason except to deliver a minor pause for length.

Still, I am hoping for a genius recovery in S9. They are a talented bunch. How they do that recovery will be amazing to see.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, that was great!     
:icon_razz:

• Like 1

IMO this entire situation for Lenny is really quite unnecessary and seems to be pretty slack writing. I feel like they only really did it because they wanted drama in the season finale.

I agree with you...Moreover, I think they didin't get the result they wanted, which I think was to catch the attention of casual viewers...Shamy's cliffhanger created "drama", but in a good way...The fans were not pissed off by it (well...the first week we were all crazy and worried and panic but now the general mood is that everything willl turn out just fine and will lead to some beautiful things for the couple) and the casual viewers seem intrigued by it, if you Google TBBT, most of the articles are about Shamy, on Facebook there are lot of posts about them etc...With Lenny cliffhanger the writers really pissed off the shippers (which are so right in being angry!!) but I don't see such a general attention on their story by non hard core fans...Maybe I'm wrong...By the way, this is by no means an attempt to compare the couples, I'm just comparing the writing of the two cliffhanger, Lenny's one was just bad!

• Like 4

I agree. Everything she was upset about happened in the past, before she met Howard. Yes she has the right to be pissed off, but I too think she overreacted a little bit.

True. After all, he wasn't cheating on her and didn't harm himself or the others by doing the things that he did. It also bothered me that neither Penny or Amy seemed to be on his side until he came over there by himself and told how he felt about Bernadette.

Ah, but it gave Howard that wonderful moment to tell Penny (overheard by Bernadette) of his endless love for his fiancé. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that is kinda sad now, keeping in my mind how Bernadette had been t(h)reating him this season.

• Like 1

I found her reaction to be was justified. When you discover your fiancee had sex with hooker, his cousin and threesome with girl dressed up as sailor moon and his best friend, I can see how that makes you doubt you really know the person you're marrying. I'm not surprised she freaked out at all. 

• Like 1

Grrrrrrr.....I [email protected]@king hate how the quote thing works in this damn website!!!!!!  I am unable to cancel previous quotes I started and then didn't end up quoting for whatever reason.

Rant on that over.....

Now, Mirs1....I totally agree about Lenny's cliffhanger.  I think (and hope) they pull a Raj/Penny type resolution where you think it happened during the hiatus and then find out it didn't.  That plot blew up in their face too.  Thinking it was a great cliffhanger but ended up pissing fans off.

What the hell....why did it quote like that!!???  This website has its good points and bad points for sure!!  I hope you guys are still working out bugs in this thing, Tensor!

• Like 5

I found her reaction to be was justified. When you discover your fiancee had sex with hooker, his cousin and threesome with girl dressed up as sailor moon and his best friend, I can see how that makes you doubt you really know the person you're marrying. I'm not surprised she freaked out at all. 

Well maybe, but I think that she went too far with thinking about calling the wedding off, not even being willing to hear his side of the story at first, seemingly thinking of him as somebody despicable for doing such things before he even met her, etc.

• Like 2

(Apologies in advance. I could not get the quote function working properly so I typed out the quote I wanted to respond to)

…..

Posted Thursday at 6:17 AM

Kathy2611 writes:

How could Penny and Sheldon consoling each other happen??!! They already said 9.1 opens up a few hours later and Lenny are STILL IN VEGAS!!!!

…..

Welcome to my nightmare.

‘Consider this unlikely but very plausible scenario.’

Episode 9.1 opens with the Lenny in a tacky Vegas chapel. They are holding hands, standing in front of the  Officiant. Leonard is positively glowing, a la, Penny’s overthink wedding daydream from Recombination. Penny, however is not glowing so much and looks kind of tense, Perturbed. The Officiant turns to Penny and asks, ‘Penny, do you take Leonard to be your lawfully wedded husband?’ She responds, ‘Leonard. I’m sorry. I can’t do this’ and walks away, leaving Leonard standing at the altar, looking devastated.

Later in the show, we rejoin the Lenny as they are coming up the staircase. Penny is now blistering mad, stomping her way up while Leonard trails behind her, pleading his case. From 4A, Sheldon hears the kerfluffle in the hallway and opens the door, asking what happened. Penny points to Leonard and screams, ‘He cheated on me!’ and starts to cry. Sheldon starts to cry saying that he feels rudderless, Amy has broken up with him. Penny launches into Sheldon arms and hugs him. The two innocent and injured parties,  commiserating and basking in the misery that their  uncaring partners have unkindly and untimely thrown upon them, waltz together into 4A, slamming the door shut in Leonard’s pleading face. The Shenny hole up in 4A finding platonic companionship in the woe that has befallen them.  We see them cohabitating in 4A and getting drunk together for the first time. This lasts for an episode or two.

Or three.

Is this a Shenny Fanfiction? Absolutely.

But that whole goddamn Season Hate, ah er, Season 8 finale was a Shenny fanfiction. Amy breaks up Sheldon and Leonard cheats on Penny?! Riiiiiiiiight.

As a Lenny, a fan of the show, and as a person that believes in character integrity, That is some unbelievable fucking bullshit.

I truly appreciate that folks  here are trying to be positive and hoping for a quick and happy resolution to this fucking shit finale tptb gave us. I hope you are right. But, speaking only for myself as a burnt, very disenfranchised and adrift Lenny, I only see Shenny, as described above,  looming on the horizon.

And it makes me want to throw up.

The night that the S9E1 taping report comes out, I will be at work, sneaking on to the internet when time permits to see what happens. Be warned. If anything happens in the episode like I described above, I’ll be in this forum gloating ‘I totally called that shit.’

But that will happen only after i throw up repeatedly into the nearest trashcan. 

• Like 3

Well then IF that happens (and I don't think it will play out like that), I will check out along with millions of others.  During The Intimacy Acceleration, both my daughter & husband (both simple casual viewers who don't "ship" the way we do), were both disgusted and horrified with that episode.  My husbands comment was "What the fuck was that about?"  

When I explained to him about those that genuinely shipped Shenny romantically, he at first looked horrified and then literally burst out laughing and said it would never work.  My daughter said it would be too stupid to watch.

So yeah, after establishing them feeling like siblings, how could tptb think that scenario would work?

I think while Lenny are in Vegas, Sheldon will go to Amy on his own and that's how we find out all about that ring he has. 

• Like 3

Not to mention, 5Missisipis, that in the fight between Sheldon and Amy, Penny in the first place took Amy's part...IF the wedding day will end up with Penny crying into somebody's arms, they will be Amy's arms...

More seriously, I don't know if Lenny will get merried in Vegas, to be honest I hope they don't, because I'd prefer something less impersonal for them...but I don't see her and Sheldon consoling each other this time! The two couples for me will have two independent plot or, at most, a L&S and P&A pairing... 

Edited by mirs1

Not to mention, 5Missisipis, that in the fight between Sheldon and Amy, Penny in the first place took Amy's part...IF the wedding day will end up with Penny crying into somebody's arms, they will be Amy's arms...

More seriously, I don't know if Lenny will get merried in Vegas, to be honest I hope not, because I'd prefer something less impersonal for them...but I don't see her and Sheldon consoling each other this time! The two couples for me will have two independent plot or, at most, a L&S and P&A pairing... 

Oh, yeah!!  I forgot about that!!  Penny did side with Amy and told Sheldon he was going too slow!  So yeah, 5Mississippi, I really don't see it playing out the way you fear now!  It wouldn't make sense....

• Like 2

Oh, yeah!!  I forgot about that!!  Penny did side with Amy and told Sheldon he was going too slow!  So yeah, 5Mississippi, I really don't see it playing out the way you fear now! It wouldn't make sense....

And Leonard cheating on Penny makes sense? :icon_wink:

• Like 2

I don't know how reliable this is, but on one IMDb thread there were links to season nine previews. The only exact information that I was able to find is that we will learn more about Amy's family during the first few episodes. So, although that itself isn't telling much, it does sound like a part of Shamy development. So, although we don't know how will Lenny storyline turn out, I can't believe that anyone seriously thinks that they will try to pull out Shenny! Or planning to gloat about it if it happens!

Edited by Mislav

I don't know how reliable this is, but on one IMDb thread there were links to season nine previews. The only exact information that I was able to find is that we will learn more about Amy's family during the first few episodes. So, although that itself isn't telling much, it does sound like a part of Shamy development. So, although we don't know how will Lenny storyline turn out, I can't believe that anyone seriously thinks that they will try to pull out Shenny! Or planning to gloat about it if it happens!

if that's true I'm not sure what Amy's family has to with Shamy. Just last season Mary and Beverly were on it had nothing with Shamy or Lenny. As others have pointed out earlier the writers can do whatever they want. Maybe they read Shenny fan fiction.

• Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic