The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Frankly, this is what I dread most for Shamy.

I know you understand why there are so many unhappy Lennys, but some Shamys don't see this as a possibility.

And it played a major part in selling the Lenny love story.

What may sell for one group, may not necessarily sell for others. I never really cared about the sex. I loved season six, and sex wasn't a big thing during that season. It was about their closeness, working out problems which kept me interested. For me that has disappeared for for the last two years.

• Like 4

I agree, but it would seem easy for us to say, not so easy to deliver. Not just the BBT writers but historically, name me one TV couple who became more interesting and exciting when they got together and there was no longer any tension (sexual or otherwise). Couples who are already paired (I'm thinking Lucy & Ricky, Marshall & Lily) work, but those with the build up always suffer with the anticlimax afterwards.

Just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done. And even couples experience tension, just look at Howard and Bernadette (and don't they qualify as an example of a TV couple who became more interesting when they got together?) I never watched much of Friends, but my understanding is both Ross/Rachel and Chandler/Monica are examples as well (but I'm ready to be corrected on this, cuz like I said, I never watched it more than a couple of times.

• Like 1

I know you understand why there are so many unhappy Lennys, but some Shamys don't see this as a possibility. 

Oh, Shamy sex is a massive gamble. Yes, it could be abso-bloody-lutely hysterical, but equally there's a good chance of Jaws leaping out the water and swallowing up the bulbous brained genius on water-skis in one bite!!!

What may sell for one group, may not necessarily sell for others. I never really cared about the sex. I loved season six, and sex wasn't a big thing during that season. It was about their closeness, working out problems which kept me interested. For me that has disappeared for for the last two years.

But for Season six to happen, there had to be Seasons 1 to 5 and, right off the bat, the premise was "smart and beautiful babies" and not ones grown in a test tube.

That was the draw, the original hook. Take it away and you have three friends who love each other, and Penny and Sheldon do love each other as well. Penny and Leonard however, have an altogether different love. Part of that difference is the sexual component in their relationship. Whatever importance you place on their sexual attraction to each other, low or high, it still exists, so why dismiss it?

• Like 1

Just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done. And even couples experience tension, just look at Howard and Bernadette (and don't they qualify as an example of a TV couple who became more interesting when they got together?) I never watched much of Friends, but my understanding is both Ross/Rachel and Chandler/Monica are examples as well (but I'm ready to be corrected on this, cuz like I said, I never watched it more than a couple of times.

Well, these are talented writers so perhaps the kiss on the boat will be enough to relight the fuse, time will tell.

I loved friends, and yes, Monica and Chandler were brilliant, but there wasn't a big build up to them getting together. On the night they had sex, Monica was actually looking to spend the night with Joey, so a big surprise and no anticlimax. Ross and Rachel are an excellent example of exactly the disappointment (leading to apathy) that I'm talking about. By the end of the run, the audience was just thoroughly bored with their relationship.

Hmm, as sleezy and disgusting as he was, I rather liked single Howard. He grossed me out in a good way. Not sure marriage has made him more interesting. I do find Bernie funny though.

Well, these are talented writers so perhaps the kiss on the boat will be enough to relight the fuse, time will tell.

I loved friends, and yes, Monica and Chandler were brilliant, but there wasn't a big build up to them getting together. On the night they had sex, Monica was actually looking to spend the night with Joey, so a big surprise and no anticlimax. Ross and Rachel are an excellent example of exactly the disappointment (leading to apathy) that I'm talking about. By the end of the run, the audience was just thoroughly bored with their relationship.

Hmm, as sleezy and disgusting as he was, I rather liked single Howard. He grossed me out in a good way. Not sure marriage has made him more interesting. I do find Bernie funny though.

You seem to keep on posting broad statements like the one i quoted....but it seems like these are your feelings.....not what the audience felt.......you possibly could not have gathered the feelings of entire audience.......

and just because i feel bored with shamy or lenny....should'nt mean the audience is bored with them.....

Edited by vasu

You seem to keep on posting broad statements like the one i quoted....but it seems like these are your feelings.....not what the audience felt.......you possibly could not have gathered the feelings of entire audience.......

and just because i feel bored with shamy or lenny....should'nt mean the audience is bored with them.....

You’re right, I haven't, these are my feelings and the general consensus of those I talk about such things with, nothing scientific.

Long time no speak Vasu. How are you keeping? And your imaginary friends, how are they? Well I hope.

You’re right, I haven't, these are my feelings and the general consensus of those I talk about such things with, nothing scientific.

Long time no speak Vasu. How are you keeping? And your imaginary friends, how are they? Well I hope.

My imaginary friends are just like your imaginary friends ATOB

and I am good....thanks for asking....

Edited by vasu

My imaginary friends are just like your imaginary friends ATOB

and I am good....thanks for asking....

Oh, unfortunately I don't have a depressed 'not so pretty' alcoholic imaginary actress friend Vasu, nor her prettier imaginary counterpart, my life's terribly dull really.

Glad you're good.

Oh, unfortunately I don't have a depressed 'not so pretty' alcoholic imaginary actress friend Vasu, nor her prettier imaginary counterpart, my life's terribly dull really.

Glad you're good.

haha looks like you are still reeling about the conversation we had long time ago....

and your life being dull... yeah  I can guess ....with your life being full of prostitutes but no strippers haha.....

and I can say the same things about your friends being imaginary and you cooking up all the stories ....just like you saying the audience is fed up with this and the audience is bored with that...etc etc........but there is no fun in that for me.....

Edited by vasu

haha looks like you are still reeling about the conversation we had long time ago....

and I can say the same things about your friends being imaginary and you cooking up all the stories ....just like you saying the audience is fed up with this and the audience is bored with that...etc etc........but there is no fun in that for me.....

Reeling? Ha! Bless you sweetie! Not the word I'd use, though it was amusing for a while, I'll admit that.

Of course, you can say what you like Vasu, but what will you back it up with? I called you out on your fibs but you chose that exact point in our discussion to scarper didn't you. Or did you just suddenly get soooo bored with our little chat all of a sudden? Hmm?

and your life being dull... yeah  I can guess ....with your life being full of prostitutes but no strippers haha.....

Oh look, how generous, you made me up some pretend prostiute friends, you're good at this game. Can you make me up a shed load of money and a yacht too? Rubs hands expectantly.

ATOB, I think you're wrong. The fact that Lenny are being written like they are is just a product of lazy writing. I will grant you, of course, that it IS more difficult to write comedy for a couple that's already together , but it's not impossible. They just have to write it in a different way. And heck, they are not just some people on the street. For Pete's sake they are the writers of the # 1 comedy in TV land, so they should be doing better. The moments of closeness, genuine care for each other, and other things that made Lenny special, are absent as far as I'm concerned, except for very few episodes. However, the graduation episode was great. Why can't they infuse Lenny in all other episodes with that kind of specialness (sp?)  I agree with you that I did prefer creepy Howard because he was funnier, and I enjoyed the arguments with his mom. I also enjoyed what lead up to their wedding very much as well. I do hate the "Tyrant Bernadette" always emasculating man-child Howard.

I hate that the writers stall everything so much that the story telling is starting to ring untrue, artificial, and not organic. Let things unfold as they should, and don't keep everything that is endgame for later, because in the meantime what they are giving us is (IMO) crap.

• Like 5

ATOB, I think you're wrong. The fact that Lenny are being written like they are is just a product of lazy writing. I will grant you, of course, that it IS more difficult to write comedy for a couple that's already together , but it's not impossible. They just have to write it in a different way. And heck, they are not just some people on the street. For Pete's sake they are the writers of the # 1 comedy in TV land, so they should be doing better. The moments of closeness, genuine care for each other, and other things that made Lenny special, are absent as far as I'm concerned, except for very few episodes. However, the graduation episode was great. Why can't they infuse Lenny in all other episodes with that kind of specialness (sp?) I agree with you that I did prefer creepy Howard because he was funnier, and I enjoyed the arguments with his mom. I also enjoyed what lead up to their wedding very much as well. I do hate the "Tyrant Bernadette" always emasculating man-child Howard.

I hate that the writers stall everything so much that the story telling is starting to ring untrue, artificial, and not organic. Let things unfold as they should, and don't keep everything that is endgame for later, because in the meantime what they are giving us is (IMO) crap.

I don't know if the writer's are being lazy with their writing for Lenny or they just don't think their important anymore
  • Like 2

Reeling? Ha! Bless you sweetie! Not the word I'd use, though it was amusing for a while, I'll admit that.

Of course, you can say what you like Vasu, but what will you back it up with? I called you out on your fibs but you chose that exact point in our discussion to scarper didn't you. Or did you just suddenly get soooo bored with our little chat all of a sudden? Hmm?

at least I am not the one saying the audience are getting bored of this and that while actually it is you are the one who is feeling bored....

way to go talking about backing up sweetheart.....

scarping away lol..... u label what I post as imaginary because it opposes your point.... so u were one who actually scarped honey,....

Oh look, how generous, you made me up some pretend prostiute friends, you're good at this game. Can you make me up a shed load of money and a yacht too? Rubs hands expectantly.

i can but i won't :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

Edited by vasu

working out problems which kept me interested. For me that has disappeared for for the last two years.

When did they stop working out their problems in these last two years/seasons?

• Like 1

at least I am not the one saying the audience are getting bored of this and that while actually it is you are the one who is feeling bored....

way to go talking about backing up sweetheart.....

scarping away lol..... u label what I post as imaginary because it opposes your point.... so u were one who actually scarped honey,....

i can but i won't  :icon_razz:  :icon_razz:

Perhaps you need a little refresher on how our last lil' chat panned out Vasu, here you go....

No, I label what you post as imaginary because you started making things up.  That's your prerogative, I'm not the internet police, but I will call you out on it when you slip up.  If you must tell lies, then learn to do it better, pick a subject you actually know something about yeah?  Trying to tell lies about an actor's life to an ex-actress will invariably get you caught my friend....and in this instance, it did.

ATOB, I think you're wrong. The fact that Lenny are being written like they are is just a product of lazy writing. I will grant you, of course, that it IS more difficult to write comedy for a couple that's already together , but it's not impossible. They just have to write it in a different way. And heck, they are not just some people on the street. For Pete's sake they are the writers of the # 1 comedy in TV land, so they should be doing better. The moments of closeness, genuine care for each other, and other things that made Lenny special, are absent as far as I'm concerned, except for very few episodes. However, the graduation episode was great. Why can't they infuse Lenny in all other episodes with that kind of specialness (sp?)  I agree with you that I did prefer creepy Howard because he was funnier, and I enjoyed the arguments with his mom. I also enjoyed what lead up to their wedding very much as well. I do hate the "Tyrant Bernadette" always emasculating man-child Howard.

Firstly, hello Carlos.  

As my good friend Vasu has correctly pointed out, my observations are based on my own opinion (and those of my direct social group).  Opinions are subjective and relative to the individual who holds them and therefore can not be "wrong".  Other people's opinions can differ to your own of course, and I would be interested in which of my opinions you disagree with.....a brief summary.

I believe the writer's are floundering with Lenny.  (I reject the term 'lazy' but more on this below).  In common with other TV couples who had a will they?/won't they? story, they had the delicious build-up, a crescendo and they then plateaued, and historically it is notoriously difficult to keep the same level of excitement after such a peak. I can't think of one example where this has been achieved; can you? So, is this something you disagree with?

My suspicion is that the kiss on the boat is an attempt to put a bit of oomph back into the relationship.  The viewing figures alone attest that these writers are talented people who know what they are doing.  Using the term 'lazy' because they are not writing what you want to see (I think we had a suggestion of horse-riding lessons and shopping for sex toys from Tonstar) is again only an individual opinion, and one I personally disagree with as it happens.  How about you? Agree? Disagree?

Not an opinion this, but a fact, I have stated that the sexual component to Lenny's relationship is a factor that differentiates between the love that exists between Penny and Sheldon, and also between Sheldon and Leonard for that matter. Do you agree or disagree Carlos?

Now then, Old Sailor, Norman, Kath2611, Tonstar17, I pose the same questions above to you guys as well.  Screw all that passive aggressive clicking the like button on any statement that disagrees with the points I've made.  If you disagree, tell me why, I want to know how I'm "wrong".

Carlos, I also asked you in a previous post why you think my belief in equality colours my opinion (as you stated)?  You never replied.  That's quite rude you know.  I look forward to hearing your views, on these questions above (which I think you'll agree I've made some effort in responding to) as well as on this previously ignored query.

[quote name="ATOB" p

Now then, Old Sailor, Norman, Kath2611, Tonstar17, I pose the same questions above to you guys as well. Screw all that passive aggressive clicking the like button on any statement that disagrees with the points I've made. If you disagree, tell me why, I want to know how I'm "wrong".

• Like 2

Perhaps you need a little refresher on how our last lil' chat panned out Vasu, here you go....

No, I label what you post as imaginary because you started making things up. That's your prerogative, I'm not the internet police, but I will call you out on it when you slip up. If you must tell lies, then learn to do it better, pick a subject you actually know something about yeah? Trying to tell lies about an actor's life to an ex-actress will invariably get you caught my friend....and in this instance, it did.

Firstly, hello Carlos.

As my good friend Vasu has correctly pointed out, my observations are based on my own opinion (and those of my direct social group). Opinions are subjective and relative to the individual who holds them and therefore can not be "wrong". Other people's opinions can differ to your own of course, and I would be interested in which of my opinions you disagree with.....a brief summary.

I believe the writer's are floundering with Lenny. (I reject the term 'lazy' but more on this below). In common with other TV couples who had a will they?/won't they? story, they had the delicious build-up, a crescendo and they then plateaued, and historically it is notoriously difficult to keep the same level of excitement after such a peak. I can't think of one example where this has been achieved; can you? So, is this something you disagree with?

My suspicion is that the kiss on the boat is an attempt to put a bit of oomph back into the relationship. The viewing figures alone attest that these writers are talented people who know what they are doing. Using the term 'lazy' because they are not writing what you want to see (I think we had a suggestion of horse-riding lessons and shopping for sex toys from Tonstar) is again only an individual opinion, and one I personally disagree with as it happens. How about you? Agree? Disagree?

Not an opinion this, but a fact, I have stated that the sexual component to Lenny's relationship is a factor that differentiates between the love that exists between Penny and Sheldon, and also between Sheldon and Leonard for that matter. Do you agree or disagree Carlos?

Now then, Old Sailor, Norman, Kath2611, Tonstar17, I pose the same questions above to you guys as well. Screw all that passive aggressive clicking the like button on any statement that disagrees with the points I've made. If you disagree, tell me why, I want to know how I'm "wrong".

Carlos, I also asked you in a previous post why you think my belief in equality colours my opinion (as you stated)? You never replied. That's quite rude you know. I look forward to hearing your views, on these questions above (which I think you'll agree I've made some effort in responding to) as well as on this previously ignored query.

You seem to think since Lenny have been in a long term relationship and have had sex they can't be interesting or funny anymore. I just disagree. Of course they can be anything the writers want them to be
  • Like 2

But we are not dicussing L/S or P/S friendship. It's about lenny. L/P were best friends before they got together. They always seek each other out and made excuses to be together. Even when they broke up it was the same. They enjoyed spending time together. The sexuality is still evident between them we don't see it often because the writers don't want to show it but it is impiled the way they touch each other and instinctively hold hands and how they comfort and look at one another. These are all things that they only do with each other because that's what couples do. They are in love that's why that they are engaged. Leonard is not in love with Sheldon nor is Penny. Different kind of love.

So yeah there is a difference.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Good, glad you agree with me. The relationship is a romantic one with a sexual component as I stated.

What about the other points. Agree or disagree, here's a reminder.....

I believe the writer's are floundering with Lenny.  (I reject the term 'lazy' but more on this below).  In common with other TV couples who had a will they?/won't they? story, they had the delicious build-up, a crescendo and they then plateaued, and historically it is notoriously difficult to keep the same level of excitement after such a peak. I can't think of one example where this has been achieved; can you?

My suspicion is that the kiss on the boat is an attempt to put a bit of oomph back into the relationship.  The viewing figures alone attest that these writers are talented people who know what they are doing.  Using the term 'lazy' because they are not writing what you want to see (I think we had a suggestion of horse-riding lessons and shopping for sex toys from Tonstar) is again only an individual opinion, and one I personally disagree with as it happens.  

Agree? Disagree?

You seem to think since Lenny have been in a long term relationship and have had sex they can't be interesting or funny anymore. I just disagree. Of course they can be anything the writers want them to be

I am saying it's a damn difficult thing to do...see my first two points below...

I believe the writer's are floundering with Lenny.  (I reject the term 'lazy' but more on this below).  In common with other TV couples who had a will they?/won't they? story, they had the delicious build-up, a crescendo and they then plateaued, and historically it is notoriously difficult to keep the same level of excitement after such a peak. I can't think of one example where this has been achieved; can you?

My suspicion is that the kiss on the boat is an attempt to put a bit of oomph back into the relationship.  The viewing figures alone attest that these writers are talented people who know what they are doing.  Using the term 'lazy' because they are not writing what you want to see (I think we had a suggestion of horse-riding lessons and shopping for sex toys from Tonstar) is again only an individual opinion, and one I personally disagree with as it happens.  

Not an opinion this, but a fact, I have stated that the sexual component to Lenny's relationship is a factor that differentiates between the love that exists between Penny and Sheldon, and also between Sheldon and Leonard for that matter.

Do you agree or disagree?

If there's a team of writers who can pull it off though, I believe it's these guys.

I am saying it's a damn difficult thing to do...see my first two points below...

If there's a team of writers who can pull it off though, I believe it's these guys.

I don't think that it's as hard as you think they just seem more interested in the shamy and aren't concerned about Leonard or Lenny
  • Like 2

I don't think that it's as hard as you think they just seem more interested in the shamy and aren't concerned about Leonard or Lenny

Then give me an example where this has been successfully executed. It hasn't has it? Not ever. Why not? Cause it's a bloody hard thing to pull off.

Shamy are still on their build (working backwards though) and at some point they too will peak (and perhaps crash and burn). Though I suspect this story-line will be better paced as the writer's have a deadline in sight. They didn't have this luxury with Lenny.

• Like 1

Then give me an example where this has been successfully executed. It hasn't has it? Not ever. Why not? Cause it's a bloody hard thing to pull off.

Shamy are still on their build (working backwards though) and at some point they too will peak (and perhaps crash and burn). Though I suspect this story-line will be better paced as the writer's have a deadline in sight. They didn't have this luxury with Lenny.

Off the top of my head I would say married with children except that Lenny child is Sheldon all most every sitcom has married couples which are funny
  • Like 2

Off the top of my head I would say married with children except that Lenny child is Sheldon all most every sitcom has married couples which are funny

Yes, they do, I mentioned Lucy & Ricky and Marshall & Lily myself. However, they were established couples at the show's onset. The will they?/won't they? draw was absent.

That's the problem, keeping the energy after the big build up and the climax when this couple you've been rooting for finally get there. That's the plateau you see. Impossible to build that same excitement hence the anticlimax afterwards.

Yes, they do, I mentioned Lucy & Ricky and Marshall & Lily myself. However, they were established couples at the show's onset. The will they?/won't they? draw was absent.

That's the problem, keeping the energy after the big build up and the climax when this couple you've been rooting for finally get there. That's the plateau you see. Impossible to build that same excitement hence the anticlimax afterwards.

I still think the writers could do more its just that they seem to think everyone is more interested in Sheldon and shamy so why concern themselves with Lenny. It would like watching Robin hood for 7 seasons because you like robin then the writers decide that little john should be the star
  • Like 3