The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers]Shipping Lanes: Season 9

Hello ATOB

And yes, the relationship is a romantic with a sexual component. I don’t think that Penny loves Sheldon, she loves Leonard, between Penny and Sheldon, like between Leonard an Sheldon, is a friendship – some people can call it love of course but is platonic.

I can agree that writer's are floundering with Lenny but don’t understand why this is happening. Why they have to take step back their relationship to make it interesting? I think looking forward would be more interesting and funny. Writers could create story about Penny and Leonard as a married couple, maybe with children, looking for a bigger apartment or something like that. Why they must have such foolish problems – like that boat kiss? Of course writing about problems is - in creators estimation – is better than writing about something good IMO.

I will use “lazy writing” because I don’t like where the story is going (most of season 8 episodes and especially season 8 finale). But this is only my personal opinion as a Lenny’s fan. Show will have high viewing ratings, I think some Lenny’s fans (like me) still watching it, and still will be watching, even if the story will be different than we want to be. Because we still have hopes. High ratings don’t mean that I can’t criticize the writers, and say it “lazy writing”.

Yes, they do, I mentioned Lucy & Ricky and Marshall & Lily myself. However, they were established couples at the show's onset. The will they?/won't they? draw was absent.

That's the problem, keeping the energy after the big build up and the climax when this couple you've been rooting for finally get there. That's the plateau you see. Impossible to build that same excitement hence the anticlimax afterwards.

What about Dharma and Greg, Jim and Cheryl (According to Jim).

• Like 2

I think we give the writers too much credit and blame. They are probably following orders from their bosses as to where the story lines go. So if that is the case we know the higher ups are willing to sacrifice Lenny for what they think will be higher ratings and more profit

• Like 4

When did they stop working out their problems in these last two years/seasons?

For me, they stopped working things out over the last two years. If you think they still are working things out, by all means enjoy the show as you see it.

• Like 3

Perhaps you need a little refresher on how our last lil' chat panned out Vasu, here you go....

No, I label what you post as imaginary because you started making things up.  That's your prerogative, I'm not the internet police, but I will call you out on it when you slip up.  If you must tell lies, then learn to do it better, pick a subject you actually know something about yeah?  Trying to tell lies about an actor's life to an ex-actress will invariably get you caught my friend....and in this instance, it did.

the example i gave opposed the point u were trying to make..... so u deemed it as imaginary..............there simply is no need for me to make up things....,and a hint sweet heart all actress life's are'nt the same.....just because you were an actress does not mean other actors life should follow the same rules and patterns.....

and you asking others to show a couple who were succesfully exciting the whole time.......  you already made up your mind that there has been no couple with the on/off thing that were successful.....and it clearly is an individual thing....... so u won't agree with anyone who will reply to you......so this whole thing is idoiotic ........... as these are all merely personal opinions.........

u seem to not still wrap your mind around this simple concept.....

Edited by vasu

I believe the writer's are floundering with Lenny. (I reject the term 'lazy' but more on this below). In common with other TV couples who had a will they?/won't they? story, they had the delicious build-up, a crescendo and they then plateaued, and historically it is notoriously difficult to keep the same level of excitement after such a peak. I can't think of one example where this has been achieved; can you? So, is this something you disagree with?

My suspicion is that the kiss on the boat is an attempt to put a bit of oomph back into the relationship. The viewing figures alone attest that these writers are talented people who know what they are doing. Using the term 'lazy' because they are not writing what you want to see (I think we had a suggestion of horse-riding lessons and shopping for sex toys from Tonstar) is again only an individual opinion, and one I personally disagree with as it happens. How about you? Agree? Disagree?

Not an opinion this, but a fact, I have stated that the sexual component to Lenny's relationship is a factor that differentiates between the love that exists between Penny and Sheldon, and also between Sheldon and Leonard for that matter. Do you agree or disagree Carlos?.

First of all, greetings ATOB. Have enjoyed reading some of your work over the year.

As is often my usual position on this forum, I am stuck between both sides of this argument. One person's 'lazy' is another's 'floundering' I would suggest so in that case I think there is some common ground.

I'm interested in your perception of Lenny plateauing in their story. I agree in many sitcoms the "will they/won't they" couple's story ends poorly. Mork and Mindy, Tony and Angela, Fran and Mr Sheffield, Niles and Daphne, Sam and Diane, (heck Joanie and Chachi) all petered out once the union was made but in the case of Lenny, I'm more of the opinion that the writers have stalled before reaching the plateau. Did you see the engagement as the plateau? It seems the writers have and that's what caused the big pause in Season 8. Me, I see the actual wedding as the plateau, not just the inevitability of it. I think there are plenty of stories left for Lenny before reaching the crescendo of the marriage ( as opposed to what I perceive your idea of crescendo being the proposal - correct me if my opinion is incorrect).

I wasn't devastated by Season 8 as most Lenny fans on this forum were/are. I actually thought there were some good attempts to continue the Lenny story going early on. Yes I agree with you that sex in a big part of their story and has been since Season 1. Leonard and his desperation to get it from anyone interested and Penny with her well documented past were destined to make sex and big part of their inevitable but often stalled and strained Union. But for me, their story is just as much about their struggle to deal with their glaringly obvious differences as it is about their physical attraction and beautiful friendship. And that's where the stories can continue to come from in my view. I liked them questioning their relationship during the dinner with Shamy and that stupid relationship inventory. I thought it was good to have the discussion about money because that dynamic shift with Penny now not relying on Leonard for finance can be a funny story if thought about enough. It was cute that she used her ability to purchase stuff to buy him a helicopter to soothe him. I love it when their interests clash and they struggle to deal with that - sport and shopping vs Nerdvana. Their attempts to change and be more like the other can be funny, whether it's successful or not. The Proton funeral episode with Penny struggling with how much Star Wars she knew was hilarious. The Thor comic, Leonard attempting to learn football, Penny succeeding at puzzles in Scavenger hunt ( granted not with him, ) her and Amy beating the boys in games, Penny attempting romance, visiting the lab to understand his job were all good for me.

This can all continue with wedding plans without the floundering taking place and without trashing the brand with a "was there infidelity in the North Sea" forced tension story line. ( disagreeing over her acting career made sense; the boat kiss doesn't for me). Have the clash of cultures between families. Have the difference of opinions over wedding themes. Have them butting heads over honeymoon options. Bring some humor into their different ideas about living arrangements and who's paying for what. I don't need the horse riding lessons or sex toy plots you scoffed at. For me their differences in life choices, like my wife and I, ( real life Lenny as I've recounted many times if you haven't noticed ) can be great sources of comedy.

So I definitely agree with you that the writers are floundering with Lenny. I just differ with you on why and how it should be addressed. Whether it's lazy writing to just bring in a bit of conflict over debatable infidelity to put a bit of oomph into the Lenny story ,as you so eloquently put it, and whether that line of story telling is needed, is debatable.

I'm no wildly successful comedy writer like these guys are but it doesn't mean they're immune to some critiquing. Lenny often get criticised by non fans for bring a bit boring because they have little in common other than the sex. But for me, as much as Shamy's story of two quirky spirits with much in common but little understanding of what being in love means is a gold mine for much story telling, I think the Lenny story of two kindred spirits with little in common but a better but still imperfect understanding of what being in love means can be just as compelling.

How was that ATOB? Enough of an explanation for why we may or may not agree/disagree? Let's see what the others can come up with.

• Like 4

I didn't watch Dharma and Greg Norman. Was there a big build up to them getting together then? I always thought the premise for that couple were that they were together but mismatched. Don't know Jim & Cheryl, where are they from?

I think the writers have a winning formula (they have the tippiest top TV show, so yeah, understatement) and what started as a show about a nerdy guy pining for his hot neighbor and his obtuse friend, changed organically when it turned out that that obtuse friend was an absolute super star.

They needed something, yes, our hero got the girl....and now what, where do we go from here? The formula seems to be that "Sheldon don't get it" and "Sheldon will muck up your plans.....coz Sheldon don't get it".

This formula clearly works. Bitch and moan about it, call it lazy writing, but it works and it brings in the big bucks.

I believe they're trying to inject some energy into Lenny for Season 9. The big three all take home the same pay packet, I reckon this'll have to be reflected better next Season because frankly Jim Parson's should have demanded overtime for Season 8. I think the 'cheating' plot-line's going to keep Lenny busy and equal up the playing field from here on in myself.

• Like 2

I didn't watch Dharma and Greg Norman. Was there a big build up to them getting together then? I always thought the premise for that couple were that they were together but mismatched. Don't know Jim & Cheryl, where are they from?

I think the writers have a winning formula (they have the tippiest top TV show, so yeah, understatement) and what started as a show about a nerdy guy pining for his hot neighbor and his obtuse friend, changed organically when it turned out that that obtuse friend was an absolute super star.

They needed something, yes, our hero got the girl....and now what, where do we go from here? The formula seems to be that "Sheldon don't get it" and "Sheldon will muck up your plans.....coz Sheldon don't get it".

This formula clearly works. Bitch and moan about it, call it lazy writing, but it works and it brings in the big bucks.

I believe they're trying to inject some energy into Lenny for Season 9. The big three all take home the same pay packet, I reckon this'll have to be reflected better next Season because frankly Jim Parson's should have demanded overtime for Season 8. I think the 'cheating' plot-line's going to keep Lenny busy and equal up the playing field from here on in myself.

You and a lot of people may be right that Sheldon is super funny but me personality i got tired of it along time ago. The program seems to think if a doctor tells you to take 2 pills and you will fill better why not not take 20 and everything will be great
  • Like 2

the example i gave opposed the point u were trying to make..... so u deemed it as imaginary..............there simply is no need for me to make up things....,and a hint sweet heart all actress life's are'nt the same.....just because you were an actress does not mean other actors life should follow the same rules and patterns.....

and you asking others to show a couple who were succesfully exciting the whole time.......  you already made up your mind that there has been no couple with the on/off thing that were successful.....and it clearly is an individual thing....... so u won't agree with anyone who will reply to you......so this whole thing is idoiotic ........... as these are all merely personal opinions.........

u seem to not still wrap your mind around this simple concept.....

Fine, then name me the part (or parts as you said it happened over and over didn't you) that these two differing actresses were sent for, apparently by different agents (such co-incidence that they always managed to get their clients exactly the same auditions, spookier than Scooby-Doo)?

And bizarre that the one same prettier girl always got the part? Freaky! Were they the only two actresses up for these roles then? You'd think the law of averages would mean that the prettier girl would miss out occasionally to another actress (not the heavy drinking depressed not so pretty one of course, as you stated)?

So, go on, if you can't name the roles, at least give me a breakdown of the characters these girls were auditioning for, I'm sure you used to hear about it in great detail Vasu when you were once more consoling that not so pretty one after yet another rejection. Poor thing.

I still think the writers could do more its just that they seem to think everyone is more interested in Sheldon and shamy so why concern themselves with Lenny. It would like watching Robin hood for 7 seasons because you like robin then the writers decide that little john should be the star

I think Sheldon broke out in Season 1 didn't he? It's no insidious take-over that's just suddenly manifested in Season 8.

Like I say, there's going to be sparks in Season 9, has to be. The finale was a set up for changes in both Lenny and Shamy. Bring it on!

First of all, greetings ATOB. Have enjoyed reading some of your work over the year.

As is often my usual position on this forum, I am stuck between both sides of this argument. One person's 'lazy' is another's 'floundering' I would suggest so in that case I think there is some common ground.

I'm interested in your perception of Lenny plateauing in their story. I agree in many sitcoms the "will they/won't they" couple's story ends poorly. Mork and Mindy, Tony and Angela, Fran and Mr Sheffield, Niles and Daphne, Sam and Diane, (heck Joanie and Chachi) all petered out once the union was made but in the case of Lenny, I'm more of the opinion that the writers have stalled before reaching the plateau. Did you see the engagement as the plateau? It seems the writers have and that's what caused the big pause in Season 8. Me, I see the actual wedding as the plateau, not just the inevitability of it. I think there are plenty of stories left for Lenny before reaching the crescendo of the marriage ( as opposed to what I perceive your idea of crescendo being the proposal - correct me if my opinion is incorrect).

I wasn't devastated by Season 8 as most Lenny fans on this forum were/are. I actually thought there were some good attempts to continue the Lenny story going early on. Yes I agree with you that sex in a big part of their story and has been since Season 1. Leonard and his desperation to get it from anyone interested and Penny with her well documented past were destined to make sex and big part of their inevitable but often stalled and strained Union. But for me, their story is just as much about their struggle to deal with their glaringly obvious differences as it is about their physical attraction and beautiful friendship. And that's where the stories can continue to come from in my view. I liked them questioning their relationship during the dinner with Shamy and that stupid relationship inventory. I thought it was good to have the discussion about money because that dynamic shift with Penny now not relying on Leonard for finance can be a funny story if thought about enough. It was cute that she used her ability to purchase stuff to buy him a helicopter to soothe him. I love it when their interests clash and they struggle to deal with that - sport and shopping vs Nerdvana. Their attempts to change and be more like the other can be funny, whether it's successful or not. The Proton funeral episode with Penny struggling with how much Star Wars she knew was hilarious. The Thor comic, Leonard attempting to learn football, Penny succeeding at puzzles in Scavenger hunt ( granted not with him, ) her and Amy beating the boys in games, Penny attempting romance, visiting the lab to understand his job were all good for me.

This can all continue with wedding plans without the floundering taking place and without trashing the brand with a "was there infidelity in the North Sea" forced tension story line. ( disagreeing over her acting career made sense; the boat kiss doesn't for me). Have the clash of cultures between families. Have the difference of opinions over wedding themes. Have them butting heads over honeymoon options. Bring some humor into their different ideas about living arrangements and who's paying for what. I don't need the horse riding lessons or sex toy plots you scoffed at. For me their differences in life choices, like my wife and I, ( real life Lenny as I've recounted many times if you haven't noticed ) can be great sources of comedy.

So I definitely agree with you that the writers are floundering with Lenny. I just differ with you on why and how it should be addressed. Whether it's lazy writing to just bring in a bit of conflict over debatable infidelity to put a bit of oomph into the Lenny story ,as you so eloquently put it, and whether that line of story telling is needed, is debatable.

I'm no wildly successful comedy writer like these guys are but it doesn't mean they're immune to some critiquing. Lenny often get criticised by non fans for bring a bit boring because they have little in common other than the sex. But for me, as much as Shamy's story of two quirky spirits with much in common but little understanding of what being in love means is a gold mine for much story telling, I think the Lenny story of two kindred spirits with little in common but a better but still imperfect understanding of what being in love means can be just as compelling.

How was that ATOB? Enough of an explanation for why we may or may not agree/disagree? Let's see what the others can come up with.

I've got to dash and pick up kids so can't give the attention it deserves right now.

Just wanted to say I wasn't sneering at Tonstar's horse-riding or sex shop suggestions. In fact I have a rather smutty Lenny one-shot rattling round my noggin centred around a visit to the naughty shop...just haven't had time to write it...yet! ;)

Anyway, must fly......

Laters (losers ;) )........

I agree with you, but still want more Lenny story in the show, as a couple, maybre married couple - not drunken kiss case. Dharma and Greg is about two people who met, felt in love at the first sight and get married. All this show is about differences between them, how they resolve problems. Jim and Cheryl are from tv show "According to Jim", is about long-time marriage couple with kids. I gave these examples of couples to show that there are interesting and funny tv shows of married couples. To be married doesn't mean be boring, that's all.

• Like 2

For me, they stopped working things out over the last two years. If you think they still are working things out, by all means enjoy the show as you see it.

Okay but how about some vivid examples to back this up?

When penny quit her job waitressing, there were problems between them, from Leonard supporting her to penny realizing maybe acting isn't what makes her happy. By the end of season 7, you can easily see points where these two worked things out to get to where they are at by the end of the season.

Okay but how about some vivid examples to back this up?

Why, it's the way I feel. If you don't feel the same way, fine, I'm not going to challenge you on it.

When penny quit her job waitressing, there were problems between them, from Leonard supporting her to penny realizing maybe acting isn't what makes her happy. By the end of season 7, you can easily see points where these two worked things out to get to where they are at by the end of the season.

I disagree they worked things out, not talking about the wedding because they had cold feet. Sweeping the money problem under the rug with the "Well at least we know what not to do". Or the sweet statement by Leonard cutting off discussion about their fears. Leonard never mention his specific fears, and they didn't talk about Penny's. Leonard hiding how he cheated. But, the examples don't matter as you are probably looking at it differently than I am. We're never going to see eye to eye on it, so why bother going round and round with it? And

You enjoy the show your way, I'll enjoy it may way. And if it makes you feel better to challenge another's feelings about the show, have at it.

• Like 2

Good, glad you agree with me. The relationship is a romantic one with a sexual component as I stated.

What about the other points. Agree or disagree, here's a reminder.....

I don't really watch a lot of sitcoms I usually give up or get bored of them. bbt is the only sitcom I haven't given up on. Yet. The others have given examples so I'll skip that bit. I think the spark is still their but like I have said often it's all about the cash cow now. S8 was one of the worst lenny season for me. It's like I was watching a one man show and I'm not even going to go there how they not only discredited the Leonard character but played him OOC in most of season 8. No offence taking on the dirty store or horse riding suggestion like you said my opinion. Hey I also wrote a one off about the dirty store but in humour. I just can't write lenny smut just don't feel comfortable writing them that way. But I love reading them from other writers. :) sorry if I missed anything writing from my kickass Samsung Note 4.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think Sheldon broke out in Season 1 didn't he? It's no insidious take-over that's just suddenly manifested in Season 8.

Like I say, there's going to be sparks in Season 9, has to be. The finale was a set up for changes in both Lenny and Shamy. Bring it on!

I've got to dash and pick up kids so can't give the attention it deserves right now.

Just wanted to say I wasn't sneering at Tonstar's horse-riding or sex shop suggestions. In fact I have a rather smutty Lenny one-shot rattling round my noggin centred around a visit to the naughty shop...just haven't had time to write it...yet! ;)

Anyway, must fly......

Laters (losers ;) )........

That's your opinion but no I don't agree
  • Like 2

Why, it's the way I feel. If you don't feel the same way, fine, I'm not going to challenge you on it..

It just makes it hard to empathize with a persons point of view sometimes when you don't go into details on something that's seemingly more complicated.  Take this persons blog post on Steven Speilberg & suburbia.  I don't agree with his point of view, but I understand why he feels that way and respect it, even while I think his view of suburbia is close minded (which he somewhat admits).

I disagree they worked things out, not talking about the wedding because they had cold feet. Sweeping the money problem under the rug with the "Well at least we know what not to do". Or the sweet statement by Leonard cutting off discussion about their fears. Leonard never mention his specific fears, and they didn't talk about Penny's. Leonard hiding how he cheated.

I was talking about season 7 when I brought that up (that does cover the last two years doesn't it?)  I agree they were sweeping their problems under the rug for the most part this season.  But didn't the last episode reveal that was all by design?  That they were avoiding talking about this because it was just adding to their cold feet?  Now whether we like how tptb CHOSE to portray this specific route for Lenny is another thing all together.  

Me I think some of this might look better in hindsight in later seasons.  The same way something like say season 3 and their break up looks better in hindsight NOW because their problems did eventually get addressed, it took 3 seasons (or 6 depending on how you look at it) for Penny to be comfortable enough to say "I love you" to Leonard.

IMO the weight of that wouldn't have been half as good if tptb didn't take a chance by playing "the long game" and letting some things become organically resolved by these characters in later seasons.

She's no longer the immature teenager love struck girl trapped in a 30 something body. He is.

Sheldon is an immature teenager love struck girl trapped in a 30 something body?  :icon_biggrin:

I didn't watch Dharma and Greg Norman. Was there a big build up to them getting together

Far from it.

Dharma and Gregg were married in the pilot episode.

In fact I have a rather smutty Lenny one-shot rattling round my noggin centered around a visit to the naughty shop...just haven't had time to write it...yet! ;)

I included a shamy visit to a "dirty store" (and the Shamy putting their purchase to good use) in one of my stories.

• Like 2

I included a shamy visit to a "dirty store" (and the Shamy putting their purchase to good use) in one of my stories.

Sheldon is an immature teenager love struck girl trapped in a 30 something body?  :icon_biggrin:

I heard he brought a buzz bobble-head back from Texas. ;)

Sheldon is an immature teenager love struck girl trapped in a 30 something body? :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, didn't quite get that grammar right

I was talking

Snip...

these characters in later seasons.

You don't agree with my interpretation, I don't agree with yours, as a result, we're never going to see eye to eye on it, so why bother going round and round with it and bore everyone to death.

You enjoy the show your way, I'll enjoy it may way. And if it makes you feel better to challenge another's feelings about the show, have at it when I post.

ATOB:

You are being belligerent with me for no reason. I happen to agree with a lot of your points just not with others. I will NOT answer all your points one by one at this time because a lot of the other posters have , and I wouldn't see a point in rehashing points already made, and I don't have the time (right now), but if I have more time later I'll try. As to the "being wrong" you seemed to take offense to I said "I think you're wrong" which actually means I disagree with you or IMO you're wrong. Please don't be so thin skinned since I wasn't trying to attack you, btw. Also in regards to my not answering your post on equality and the question you asked about it, don't tell me I'm being rude, because I wasn't. I might not have had the time, might have had something else to do, or might have had no interest in answering you, or a lot of time went by to when I had the time to answer and didn't think you'd still be interested. I vaguely remember the situation, so... Will get back to you later, time permitting.

• Like 1

can you first name all the women and give their details who came to you and cried.....

You're the one who made up my prostitute friends for me earlier today Vasu.  However, here's what you said about your imaginary actress friends.....

you gave an example which suits your points..... I can also gave some examples which suit my point.....

I knew two women ....one of them *pretty*....and the other not so *pretty*......... both aspiring actors(both being smart too but their dreams being acting)...... but the not so *pretty* one being the better out of the two............but still when they go for audition the *pretty* gets the part because she is *pretty*...... this goes on and on and on..... and the not so *pretty* one gets depressed and starts drinking..... and spends the rest of her life like that...depressed and drunk ................

post-9820-0-74237000-1434578811_thumb.gi

Now I'm concerned.  You 'knew' them!  What's happened to them?  Are they in pretend peril?  I'm pretend concerned.  Delightful that you can see into the future too.  She "spends the rest of her life like that"....an uncanny talent my friend, impressive.

post-9820-0-73744800-1434579041_thumb.gi

• Like 1

ATOB:

You are being belligerent with me for no reason. I happen to agree with a lot of your points just not with others. I will NOT answer all your points one by one at this time because a lot of the other posters have , and I wouldn't see a point in rehashing points already made, and I don't have the time (right now), but if I have more time later I'll try. As to the "being wrong" you seemed to take offense to I said "I think you're wrong" which actually means I disagree with you or IMO you're wrong. Please don't be so thin skinned since I wasn't trying to attack you, btw. Also in regards to my not answering your post on equality and the question you asked about it, don't tell me I'm being rude, because I wasn't. I might not have had the time, might have had something else to do, or might have had no interest in answering you, or a lot of time went by to when I had the time to answer and didn't think you'd still be interested. I vaguely remember the situation, so... Will get back to you later, time permitting.

No, none of the other posters have answered my points because there is no example of a relationship with a big build up that maintained the excitement when the couple became established.  That is my point.  Plenty of funny married couples though.  I gave two examples myself.

post-9820-0-50113500-1434579834_thumb.gi

Edited by Tripper

No, none of the other posters have answered my points because there is no example of a relationship with a big build up that maintained the excitement when the couple became established.  That is my point.  Plenty of funny married couples though.  I gave two examples myself.

What about Joe and Helen from tv show "Wings"

• Like 1

What about Joe and Helen from tv show "Wings"

Again, don't know them, or the other two you mention (not Dharma and Greg, know who they are, was it Jim and Chloe you said before?).

So, did these couples have a great big build up, a peak when they got together but they managed to maintain that same tension and excitement once they were a settled couple?

If yes, then Norman you are our winner!  Yay for you! :)

post-9820-0-99329500-1434581765_thumb.gi